• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

People with terrible anxiety should have?

XANAX XR

Bluelighter
In your honest opinion(s), what do you guys think should be the first class of medicine prescribed for anxiety, over what all psychs and family doctors "say", which are SSRIs and SNRIs..

I read all these stories about how psychs or family doctors barely know what they're prescribing or what an SSRI is and what would be best. I was able to see this first hand and was shocked at how much I knew more of, in total. I could quote some funny things, "there is very very little side effects from SSRIs compared to other practices".

Sadly, benzos (from his point of view) are an "out of the box method" that he does NOT practice and refuses to practice. He recommended to get prescribed an SSRI or SNRI , or give me a referral for an out of town psych.

Admittedly, I did act like an idiot to not sound like a drug-seeker, in fact, at this point I'm really not, I just know the one and only thing that has ever kicked my anxiety and given my brain full potential are benzos. Specifically clonazepam..

I think benzos with the proper care of the person who is taking them is imo the best route for treating anxiety.

edit - addition: By the way, I do know the dangers of benzos long-term, I've been researching them for a year now, so I know just about every possibility they can have on a person.. I've met a few folks in person who don't really have problems with them long term and don't need a dose increase.

Last edited:
The first medicine prescribed should be indica based cheeba chews. SSRIs are toxic poison.

The first medicine prescribed should be indica based cheeba chews. SSRIs are toxic poison.
Wish I could smoke weed without getting 2 year long disorders.. Weed has torn apart my brain more than benzos have and from what i've smoked in 6 years is not comparable to 50% of the population these days.

By the way, I do know the dangers of benzos long-term, I've been researching them for a year now, so I know just about every possibility they can have on a person.. I've met a few folks in person who don't really have problems with them long term and don't need a dose increase.

For me, the best was Pregabalin followed by Venlafaxine (Effexor).

I now use neither, just pro re nata use of Diazepam.

For me, the best was Pregabalin followed by Venlafaxine (Effexor).

I now use neither, just pro re nata use of Diazepam.

How intense was your anxiety (and depression, if you had it).

It seems like benzos can balance my brain even if taken once every 2 days, probably the half-life... clonazepam does the trick the best. I tend to abuse anything I get my hands on, if it has rec. value, but at this point, I am more than willing to hold back that tendency.

How intense was your anxiety (and depression, if you had it).

It seems like benzos can balance my brain even if taken once every 2 days, probably the half-life... clonazepam does the trick the best. I tend to abuse anything I get my hands on, if it has rec. value, but at this point, I am more than willing to hold back that tendency.

Quite severe. I seem to be bi-polar, in the sense that my mood is at one of either polars: very depressed, or very anxious.

The first year after diagnosis was dominated with depression, which I couldn't seem to shift with Citalopram/Venlafaxine/Agomelatine. On a scale of 1-10 we're talking about a constant 7, hitting 10's for a few weeks here and there. It was crippling, and medication did little to help.

For the next 2 years, my depression settled and was over run by severe anxiety. Again, averaging a 7 on most days but 10's were quite common too. I was taking 450mg Venlafaxine to pretty much depress my CNS to function at its minimal level, coupled with 150mg Pregabalin. I also took Diazepam frequently, as well as Morphine/Oxycodone to sedate me and throughout them years I was just drugged to death, I was alive, but I wasn't living. Towards the end, I changed Psychiatrist's who took me off of everything, though increased the Pregabalin to 400mg with prn use of Diazepam and my life changed for the better. I was a bit foggy in the head, but I could at least function properly and even completed my masters degree.

Now, I've swapped polar's again and gone back into a very depressed state. Currently not medicated for it, as I never responded very well to medication for depression, but I'm looking into starting Buproprion tomorrow.

I now know for future reference that should my mental state of mind change back to one of anxiety, it'd be best managed by a good dose of Pregabalin and prn use of Benzodiazepines, probably Diazepam.

In my opinion it is easier to 'treat' anxiety than it is depression, because there are many, many drugs on the market that can just depress your CNS (Pregabalin/Gabapentin/Venlafaxine/Duloxetine/Fluoxetine/Tricyclics/TetraCyclics/Buspirone/Morphine/Oxycodone/Mirtazipine/Trazadone/Benzodiazepines/Z-Drugs/Alcohol/β-blockers/Barbituates) so as to reduce your levels of anxiety simply by depressing your central nervous system.

Depression on the other hand, is a much trickier beast to tackle. Though I think the off label use of Tramadol or Tapentadol are probably the most encouraging drugs for helping with depression. Not many doctors will be willing to prescribe them for that use though.

Last edited:
obviously benzos. i'd never take an ssri and luckily i've got a physician who'll give me the script i want and as a result i always have some bromazepam, which is my favourite benzo, lying at home in case i need it (not that i'd ever use the packet up before it expires).

Quite severe. I seem to be bi-polar, in the sense that my mood is at one of either polars: very depressed, or very anxious.

The first year after diagnosis was dominated with depression, which I couldn't seem to shift with Citalopram/Venlafaxine/Agomelatine. On a scale of 1-10 we're talking about a constant 7, hitting 10's for a few weeks here and there. It was crippling, and medication did little to help.

For the next 2 years, my depression settled and was over run by severe anxiety. Again, averaging a 7 on most days but 10's were quite common too. I was taking 450mg Venlafaxine to pretty much depress my CNS to function at its minimal level, coupled with 150mg Pregabalin. I also took Diazepam frequently, as well as Morphine/Oxycodone to sedate me and throughout them years I was just drugged to death, I was alive, but I wasn't living. Towards the end, I changed Psychiatrist's who took me off of everything, though increased the Pregabalin to 400mg with prn use of Diazepam and my life changed for the better. I was a bit foggy in the head, but I could at least function properly and even completed my masters degree.

Now, I've swapped polar's again and gone back into a very depressed state. Currently not medicated for it, as I never responded very well to medication for depression, but I'm looking into starting Buproprion tomorrow.

I now know for future reference that should my mental state of mind change back to one of anxiety, it'd be best managed by a good dose of Pregabalin and prn use of Benzodiazepines, probably Diazepam.

In my opinion it is easier to 'treat' anxiety than it is depression, because there are many, many drugs on the market that can just depress your CNS (Pregabalin/Gabapentin/Venlafaxine/Duloxetine/Fluoxetine/Tricyclics/TetraCyclics/Buspirone/Morphine/Oxycodone/Mirtazipine/Trazadone/Benzodiazepines/Z-Drugs/Alcohol/β-blockers/Barbituates) so as to reduce your levels of anxiety simply by depressing your central nervous system.

Depression on the other hand, is a much trickier beast to tackle. Though I think the off label use of Tramadol or Tapentadol are probably the most encouraging drugs for helping with depression. Not many doctors will be willing to prescribe them for that use though.

I feel like my chronic and clinical depression wouldn't be touched by any SSRI, let alone my anxiety. My anxiety has over ran my depression for a good 6 years, really fucking rough the past 2. I noticed pregbalin reduces pain? For some reason anything that works on CNS for me reduces my anxiety a lot and depression, slightly. I never found much help for depression, it's really fuckin rough, however, even though it is hard to deal with, I can manage... the anxiety is what kills me.

Wow. Have you seen a good psychiatrist? A good one CAN help you. In my experience ssri can be activating, thus increasing anxiety. Theykey to managing anxiety medically, though is in first figuring out where it comes from / what type of anxiety it is. Lamictal / lamotrigine is a great drug for anxiety / depression and is totally not like benzos or other sedative drugs. Of course, you might actually need a sedative drug (like seroquel) depending on what the underlying issue is. Gabapentin, and buspiron also are very effective for anxiety. I found by accident that beta blockers are great for anxiety, when i was perscribed them for my blood pressure. But you need a good psychiatrist who gets anxiety to help you. They are out there, dont give up.

didn't read all posts, but well,...

In my opinion, anxiety should be treated with therapy (I had good results with CBT), before it gets so out of hand that the person requires medication. Unfortunately, most people with anxiety disorders only get help, when their condition gets bad to the point of becoming/being unfunctional, because of the social stigmata of mental health issues (happened to me).

In my opinion, a healthy lifestyle, suitable therapy and a positive outlook is better than any kind of medication. I think that things like anxiety and depression are only a symptom of the things which are wrong in your life, and if you don't work on that, you will never heal, no matter which pills you take.

I am not against medication, and meds definately helped me at some point, but people shouldn't rely only on them.

in my honest opinion, i think taking benzos long-term for anxiety is self-sabatoge. i never got out of control and started downing my monthly in a few days or anything like that. but i of course became physically dependent, because when you take benzos as prescribed that's what happens. and i was scripted them for years and years before i ended up at daily. you say every other day, but that won't last. shit, every other day is way too often and will last no time. benzos can be taken in emergencies with positive effect, but the risk of that changing is significant, it's not gonna cure anxiety, and is not what you are talking about. there are so many posters on bluelight signing your song. all of you have a black x on your forehead. as suggested above, lifestyle changes are the answer. if you are not working out everyday; if you have not given up coffee, alcohol, and of course illicit drugs; if you have not put a severe limit on tv and other indoor activities a day; if you are not adhering to a healthy diet; if you are not following a baby-step plan to increase social engagement; and if you haven't given these changes a fair chance; then you're jumping the gun on medication. that list in not comprehensive, and you should spend more time in developing your own than reading about medication. i wish you the best in figuring your anxiety out, and strongly recommend against benzos.

and if lifestyle changes do not work, i believe an ssri is the best medication for anxiety.

Last edited:
A combo of Zoloft (Sertraline SSRI) is a good anxio SSRI, combined with a long acting/half life benzo, ethyl loflazepate in my case, and i have a bit of prazepam for panic attacks/extreme anxiety (i also take ritalin for ADD aand Abilify for paranoid/schizo)

Benzos definitely do help in the short term, but i dont think they are the best option for long term. You become dependent on them and this can make your anxiety worse when they are no longer available to you.
They can also cause serious memory/cognitive problems. I dont have much experience with this, but there was a point where i had a habit of drinking on clonazepam almost every weekend and i feel like that has had negative impacts on my memory, even months after stopping use. I have recently been taking nootropics to help restore my memory, not completely sure yet on the long term effectiveness of that but short term i have noticed my memory has improved, although i have also stopped smoking weed as much so that may be a factor as well.
I dont particularly like the "long term" treatment options like ssri's, i feel like they can mess with your brain even more then benzos can plus they have weird side effects
Like others have been saying, lifestyle changes would be the best option if you dont want your brain to be a useless pile of mush that only works properly when medicated, but medication can help you kickstart that process, just dont become dependent on it
Exercise and meditation work well for me. Being healthy and just the act of exercising makes you feel good about yourself, and meditation can really help alot with discovering/fixing flaws in your perception of reality.
If you want to start meditating, you should do it every day. Start off small, i started with just one to three 5 minute or less meditation sessions a day to get used to it, then you can work your way up to longer times, the most i did at one point was about an hour or so a day, in one to three sessions. It can be more helpful than you think, i definitely notice a change in my mood when i am meditating regularly
For exercise you can just do a short run (5 to 10 mins) in the morning. Sometimes running outside, running by people and cars, can help with your anxiety. For me it does because i have social anxiety, so in my case it kind of works as exposure therapy as well i guess

I can't take SSRI's -- they make me feel horrible and jittery. They're more for depression than anxiety IMO. Benzos work well on anxiety for me, but I'd never want to take them again with any regularity. The withdrawal from the inevitable habit is too hard (had seizures before).

I took Buproprion for awhile, and it seemed to work okay. Stopped it, then started up again a few years later, and got hypomanic immediately from it that second time around.

Recently, I've been taking kratom a few times a week, and it's lifted my depression pretty well. Haven't had any anxiety for quite a while, so can't speak to how it would work on that.

I agree that all the lifestyle changes listed above, along with meditation and CBT, would be optimal. But who am I to talk? Do I do them myself? No -- I'm a lazy sod with a bad attitude . . . lol.

Yeah, kratom definitely can help and probably doesnt have too much potential for dependence or addiction as long as you dont start taking it every day or building a tolerance to it.
I'd be curious to see if mushrooms could help you too, sometimes a good trip every once in a while can change your perspective on things, just gotta be careful to make sure you are in a good setting and wont have a bad trip. From personal experience all of my trips have been great, though i am aware that this isnt the case for everyone

And if your problems are bad enough then you really should push yourself to at least try meditation, as it is very easy and doesnt take much time out of your day. Just gotta sit on the floor of your room, cross your legs, and think about yourself thinking and why you think the way you think :)
It does get easier the more you do it too, the hardest part is making a habit out of it. But once it becomes a normal routine it comes very naturally.

Thanks for the replies, as it is meant for opinions! Just to let you guys know, in-case you think I'm looking for the best med. for my anxiety, I am in a way (more so to see other methods) but I already figured out what has helped me, I feel like working from there. My anxiety has gotten to the point of crude intruding thoughts, many suicide attempts because of the fact I'm not really in my body body 24-7... The social aspect of me has been taken away from anxiety these past 2 years and it's pretty pathetic.. I've never been much of a social person, so now I'm pretty much a hermit, who can't think properly.

Hit the xanax today, been clean for awhile, as much as I hate xanax. This is a nice break from my jail cell....

Xanax, have you tried kratom? I feel like it might help you if cycled with other meds to reduce tolerance or negative effects from taking just one kind of drug all the time (like benzos)