Need Advice On Detoxing from Percocet

^
True. Loperamide does have a physical tolerance, but it beats getting on another opiate like Tram. I wouldn't take it past acute phase. I also took Neurontin and some Lyrica, and I think I had issues coming off those briefly and wish I took them for a shorter time actually, looking back. But, no regrets… All is learning experience. :)

For me diarrhea only came on 2,3rd day strong. I had to work also … going through withdrawals, but it also kept my focus off of my situation… kept me busy.
I would just try to see the withdrawal symptoms as the toxins slowly seeping out of my body … and visualize w/drawal in a healing way. I couldn't drive, as I was hallucinating but I could take the bus… I had to adjust a bit. It does get better. We go from hurting to healing to sometimes helping. Also, taking care of myself not only helped me … but those I love (including my cats). It's so worth it.

You're doing great… :)

I think I may just stop the lope altogether here and jump off now. I don't want to prolong this and have only taken it for a couple days.

Good idea - If you can … it would might be better for you overall. :)

Good idea - If you can … it would might be better for you overall. :)
Well I'll give it a try try. Perhaps going from the "fairly mild" perc usage to a 4 day tramadol then two day lope usage will be enough step downs to make it not so bad.

I agree with the above posts- loperamide is just prolonging your withdrawals ultimately. Personally, I wouldn't go above 4-6 mg per dose just to keep the diarrhea away. Best to stop taking it and get this over with. Wish you the best.

Well I have steadily been feeling better since this afternoon. My last lope dose was the 20mg I took this morning and haven't had any since and it's now 8:30pm. I don't want to say I'm out of the woods yet until I see how I'm doing tomorrow. But I'm encouraged by the way I feel right now. Regardless of how I'm doing tomorrow I won't be taking ANYTHING, lope or otherwise.

Well this morning feeling like shit again. I knew I shouldn't count my chickens just yet. Oh well, maybe tomorrow will be the day.

It's indeed a process, and will take time for your body to reach homeostasis -- but every day it 'will' get a little better…. Peak withdrawal is usually 36-72 hours (generally, especially with blood pressure), then the physical symptoms might start leveling off, subsiding. :)

It's indeed a process, and will take time for your body to reach homeostasis -- but every day it 'will' get a little better…. Peak withdrawal is usually 36-72 hours (generally, especially with blood pressure), then the physical symptoms might start leveling off, subsiding. :)
What really sucks is that those extra couple days of tramadol and lope makes it so I don't really know where in the process I really am. :-(

True!
The thing about drugs for me is I always knew how I was going to feel, and what to expect. Like planning my feelings. Thus, living in the unknown, especially during withdrawal stage is quite difficult. I do understand as my last opiate use, wasn't necessarily where I began detoxing as I used methadone for a couple days (then seizure meds) ….. which prolonged some withdrawal … but also made the first few days off opiate (short acting), more tolerable.

I would just try not to figure it out and distract yourself with something else. For me exercise, just walking around the block… even was helpful. Also, you might want to introduce some vitamins/amino acids specific to opiate withdrawal. There are many available if you can access them and are non addictive. Not that you have not already. :)

What really sucks is that those extra couple days of tramadol and lope makes it so I don't really know where in the process I really am. :-(

If you give me the last opiate type substance you took and what time I can give you a decent approximation. Since you have been on for only two months I think you will transition back quickly after the acutes are over and may not even have much in the way of paws.

True!
The thing about drugs for me is I always knew how I was going to feel, and what to expect. Like planning my feelings. Thus, living in the unknown, especially during withdrawal stage is quite difficult. I do understand as my last opiate use, wasn't necessarily where I began detoxing as I used methadone for a couple days (then seizure meds) ….. which prolonged some withdrawal … but also made the first few days off opiate (short acting), more tolerable.

I would just try not to figure it out and distract yourself with something else. For me exercise, just walking around the block… even was helpful. Also, you might want to introduce some vitamins/amino acids specific to opiate withdrawal. There are many available if you can access them and are non addictive. Not that you have not already. :)

Thanks for the reply. The depression is really hitting me hard right now. This isn't my first W/D; I have been in this lousy game for about the last 15 or so years. In between that time there was a period where I had almost 6 years clean in a 12 step program. My life really seemed to be going along good there and then the moment life got rough (a knee surgery that took a long time to heal) a reservation I didn't know about brought me back to my old opiate ways, this time in the form of "pain management" from the medical establishment rather than the little colorful balloons and needles. The complicated part was that even thought I know I abused the pain meds I was being prescribed, I'm still not ready to say they weren't needed. But something in me doesn't want to live that way and a couple years later, when I felt my knee was better, I got off of everything. Man, that was the HARDEST kick I ever had to do because of all the shit the Dr had me on...things I'd never heard of before, like Tramadol. Even though I weaned and tapered with the help of the Dr I was hurting worse and longer than anything that I had done before that point.

But I did get clean again, and it was great. However, I wasn't in the program anymore so I chipped here and there. I did get burned every now and then however, but nothing too serious. And recently, I had been going along pretty good when this shoulder thing happened and when the Dr said the magical word "Percocet" I was off to the races. It looked like I had things under control (at least in my denial) but as evident from what I'm going through now, I was fooling myself. My poor wife...my poor 11.5 month old son who I haven't been in any shape to interact with. Addiction has created so much pain for myself and those around me and here I am again. What a waste. :(

If you give me the last opiate type substance you took and what time I can give you a decent approximation. Since you have been on for only two months I think you will transition back quickly after the acutes are over and may not even have much in the way of paws.
Wow, thanks... It was 20mg loperamide yesterday morning around 9am. I never felt "good" while on lope at any time.

So the half-life of loperamide in man is 10.8 hours with a range of 9.1 - 14.4 hours. If we want to estimate how long anything takes to be eliminated from our systems we can take 6 x the half life. Then we add on four days to estimate around the time we will first see the light at the end of the tunnel.

6x10=60+ (4 x 24) = 96 +60= 156/24= 6.5 days. This is a long estimate and you will likely be out earlier, but I always think being pleasantly surprised is better then sorely disappointed. Also you have been greatly reducing your dose so your symptoms may not be that significant. Everyones withdrawals are different and trying to predict yours is tougher as you kinda bopped around to a few different chems before you jumped. But you should be out nicely before 6.5 days from you last dose.

So the half-life of loperamide in man is 10.8 hours with a range of 9.1 - 14.4 hours. If we want to estimate how long anything takes to be eliminated from our systems we can take 6 x the half life. Then we add on four days to estimate around the time we will first see the light at the end of the tunnel.

6x10=60+ (4 x 24) = 96 +60= 156/24= 6.5 days. This is a long estimate and you will likely be out earlier, but I always think being pleasantly surprised is better then sorely disappointed. Also you have been greatly reducing your dose so your symptoms may not be that significant. Everyones withdrawals are different and trying to predict yours is tougher as you kinda bopped around to a few different chems before you jumped. But you should be out nicely before 6.5 days from you last dose.
Wow I turned a 3-5 day detox into a possible 2 week detox. How brilliant of me. :) Taking the lope sure wasn't worth the extra days for as little it does to take the edge off.

Thanks for the reply. The depression is really hitting me hard right now. This isn't my first W/D; I have been in this lousy game for about the last 15 or so years. In between that time there was a period where I had almost 6 years clean in a 12 step program. My life really seemed to be going along good there and then the moment life got rough (a knee surgery that took a long time to heal) a reservation I didn't know about brought me back to my old opiate ways, this time in the form of "pain management" from the medical establishment rather than the little colorful balloons and needles. The complicated part was that even thought I know I abused the pain meds I was being prescribed, I'm still not ready to say they weren't needed. But something in me doesn't want to live that way and a couple years later, when I felt my knee was better, I got off of everything. Man, that was the HARDEST kick I ever had to do because of all the shit the Dr had me on...things I'd never heard of before, like Tramadol. Even though I weaned and tapered with the help of the Dr I was hurting worse and longer than anything that I had done before that point.

But I did get clean again, and it was great. However, I wasn't in the program anymore so I chipped here and there. I did get burned every now and then however, but nothing too serious. And recently, I had been going along pretty good when this shoulder thing happened and when the Dr said the magical word "Percocet" I was off to the races. It looked like I had things under control (at least in my denial) but as evident from what I'm going through now, I was fooling myself. My poor wife...my poor 11.5 month old son who I haven't been in any shape to interact with. Addiction has created so much pain for myself and those around me and here I am again. What a waste. :(

Here you are again, but you are helping yourself and not in some dark place using Heroin! :D

Interesting, about your experience. I had a similar experience - Had 8 years, spine kept reherniating (had a discectomy), and eventually the thought of seeing my primary for a hydro script seemed like a good idea. Two years later, I found myself detoxing off Heroin again. You know what's really awesome though? Is ime, no time is lost, ever. Just cos you are here again, getting off pills, doesn't mean you don't have that time clean in your life -- and that time, believe it or not … might be very valuable in keeping you around. For me, if I didn't have those 8 years (and at first, i was beating myself up big time in a huge depression, the withdrawal exacerbating it), I wouldn't have known what to do, where to go… how to get help (including BL), and that it is possible to recover again. If that makes sense(?). I can't speak for you but cos I did it before I am back on track now. 12 Step I worked once, then another time not … and used other support groups, therapy and pain management. It has been helpful, sometimes not… and hierarchal.

Don't beat yourself up, there are no mistakes, thoughts don't come in sizes. They just come and we can decide what to do with them, cling to them, adding sub thoughts to each one bringing us further down, or watch them pass by… and reframe our thinking to our progress, even if in a couple days! :) Just let them pass, they probably don't want the best for you right now as the depression you are having is substance related mostly ime/o. Your brain isn't making natural 'feel goods' yet. Also, Neversickanymore has a good point. Severity of withdrawal depends on multiple factors and one is time you have been recently using for isn't long.

You are not fooling yourself, that's someone else, don't listen to it, might just be the self sabotaged addicted brain… false self, one that doesn't want what's best.:sus: Call its bluff! :)

Last edited:
Out of interest what did you do to your shoulder? Must be something pretty hardcore to be getting oxy? I've dislocated my shoulder 20+ times in the last 18 months and haven't needed pain relief at any point at all.

Before I say any more, don't take any of this as a criticism of you because it isn't, I'm just thinking aloud....

I find it crazy the way people will eat 20/30/40mg of lope a day for what seems to be a benefit that is so minute that they can't work out whether it's helping or not. Doesn't that really fuck with your digestive system to the point of fully constipating you for days and days on end? Seems to me that the pitfalls would outweigh the benfits (if there are any). Or am I missing something?

Well done for cracking on and getting off the opiate pain meds though, you could have ended up going much deeper than you have. I've found diclofenac to be very effective as a painkiller for my shoulder when I've got bored of the pain, definitely worth a try if you're still in pain after this.

Out of interest what did you do to your shoulder? Must be something pretty hardcore to be getting oxy? I've dislocated my shoulder 20+ times in the last 18 months and haven't needed pain relief at any point at all.

Before I say any more, don't take any of this as a criticism of you because it isn't, I'm just thinking aloud....

I find it crazy the way people will eat 20/30/40mg of lope a day for what seems to be a benefit that is so minute that they can't work out whether it's helping or not. Doesn't that really fuck with your digestive system to the point of fully constipating you for days and days on end? Seems to me that the pitfalls would outweigh the benfits (if there are any). Or am I missing something?

Well done for cracking on and getting off the opiate pain meds though, you could have ended up going much deeper than you have. I've found diclofenac to be very effective as a painkiller for my shoulder when I've got bored of the pain, definitely worth a try if you're still in pain after this.
The shoulder issue wasn't that painful... I went years with it before surgery without taking anything. When I finally went to the doctor about it, I exaggerated the pain purposely to get pills. Like I said, I've been chipping for a few years without getting burned to bad and saw an opportunity.. Now I regret doing so. But yeah, the Oxy was overkill. Something lighter would've been more appropriate.

Last edited:
Ah I see, I've got to admit I've done the same to get dihydrocodeine. Oxycodone though...gotta love that American pharmaceutical industry:| It amazes me the extent to which that sort of medical malpractice is normal procedure in the states, fucking people over for kickbacks on the amount of scripts they write. Jumping straight to oxy is just absolute madness, you need to be half dead in this country to get it.

Keep pushing on though, try and get as much food/liquid/vitamins down you as possible. I always find that the turning point in an opiate detox. As soon as I start being able to get food down it seems to really kickstart the recovery process and help me turn the corner towards feeling decent. I never want to eat for ages after quitting but I try and force stuff down asap and it really works. Others have mentioned the same to me, I guess it just fuels your body in to recovering more quickly.

Good luck.:)

What's funny is that the same Doctor operated on my wife and gave her something much weaker. I guess he thought I could handle it. They are starting to take a look at all the scripts being written here in the states. It's a very debatable issue. The surgeon I went too is so well known and respected, maybe he believes nobody would second-guess him or hold his feet to the fire.

Anyhow, off to try and get some sleep. Here's looking forward to tomorrow being a better day.

Thanks everyone for all the support. Looking forward to day 6.5 neversickanymore. ;)