• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Man executed with hydromorphone and midazolam takes 2 hours to die, gasps 660 times

Bluelighter
Joseph Wood: Arizona murderer dies almost two hours after execution begins

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...er-still-alive-an-hour-after-execution-begins

Convicted killer 'gasped and snorted' as officials attempted to execute him, as lawyers filed an emergency motion to halt the process

The controversy engulfing the death penalty in the United States escalated on Wednesday when the state of Arizona took almost two hours to kill a prisoner using an experimental concoction of drugs whose provenance it had insisted on keeping secret.

Joseph Wood took an hour and 58 minutes to die after he was injected with a relatively untested combination of the sedative midazolam and painkiller hydromorphone. The procedure took so long that his lawyers had time to file an emergency court motion in an attempt to have it stopped. For more than an hour, he was seen to be “gasping and snorting”, according to the court filing.

The attempt to execute Wood had begun at 1.52pm, with sedation of the prisoner confirmed five minutes later. The office of the Arizona attorney general, Tom Horne, announced at 3.49pm local time that Wood was dead.

According to the emergency motion, Wood was seen to be still breathing at 2.02pm, and the next minute his mouth moved. “He has been gasping and snorting for more than an hour,” his lawyers said. When the officials in charge of the execution checked the prisoner at 3.02pm – an hour and 10 minutes after the procedure began – he was confirmed still to be alive.

One eyewitness, Michael Kiefer of Arizona Republic, counted the prisoner gasping 660 times. Another witness, reporter Troy Hayden, told the same paper that it had been "very disturbing to watch ... like a fish on shore gulping for air."

Mauricio Marin, a television reporter with Kold News 13, told the Guardian that Wood had appeared to be sedated with his eyes closed. But he said in an email that Wood was "gulping or gasping for air. His stomach moved at times while the gulping/gasping for air as if one would while breathing laying down."

Wood, 55, was put to death for the 1989 murders in Tucson of his former girlfriend Debra Dietz and her father Eugene Dietz.

"What I saw today with him being executed, it is nothing compared to what happened on Aug. 7, 1989," Jeanne Brown, Debra Dietz's sister, told an Associated Press reporter after the execution. "What's excruciating is seeing your father lying there in a pool of blood, seeing your sister lying in a pool of blood."

The duration of the execution was extreme even in the contexct of recent botched judicial killings in the US. Clayton Lockett, who writhed and groaned on the gurney in Oklahoma in April, took 45 minutes to die – less than half the time it took in Wood’s case.

Lockett's death provoked a nationwide and international outcry. In the fallout, President Obama was prompted to launch a review into the practice of the death penalty in the country that is still ongoing.

The hours leading up to Wood's execution were marked by a frenzied legal battle over the secrecy imposed by state officials on the source of the drugs. It was put on hold several times – first by a federal appeals court, then by the state supreme court of Arizona. On Tuesday the US supreme court removed the stay, allowing the execution to go ahead.

Wood's legal team had argued that as a member of the public, he had a right to know under the first amendment of the US constitution about the source and nature of the drugs that were being used to kill him, as well as about the qualifications of the officials who would administer the lethal injections. The ninth circuit federal court of appeals ordered a stay of execution to give time for proper legal reflection.

The US supreme court lifted that stay on Tuesday, without giving any explanation.

Within a few hours of Wood being pronounced dead, senior officials in Arizona had begun a damage limitation exercise in which they tried to reassure the public that his execution had been painless. The governor, Jan Brewer, ordered an investigation but said the death had been lawful, adding that “by eyewitness and medical accounts he did not suffer. This is in stark comparison to the gruesome, vicious suffering that he inflicted on his two victims – and the lifetime of suffering he has caused their family.”

The state corrections department that carried out the execution insisted that it had followed protocol and that he had been in “deep sedation” throughout.

State officials came under pressure from the courts to preserve evidence. A federal court ordered the state to preserve Wood’s body and to draw down blood from six locations on it by a deadline of 8pm, as well as take tissue sample from his brain, liver and muscles. The supreme court of Arizona also stepped in and ordered that the labels on the bottles of drugs used be kept for future examination.

In an impassioned statement, Wood's lawyer, Dale Baich, said: “Arizona appears to have joined several other states who have been responsible for an entirely preventable horror - a bungled execution. The public should hold its officials responsible and demand to make this process more transparent.”

Baich said the state's investigation would be insufficiently independent. “Because the governor and the highest law enforcement official in Arizona have already expressed their view that Mr Wood did not suffer, and because the state of Arizona fought tooth and nail to protect the extreme secrecy surrounding its lethal injection drugs and execution personnel, the only way to begin to remedy this is with open government and transparency,” he said.

In a later interview with Rachel Maddow on MSNBC, Baich said that he had witnessed 11 executions but never any that took so long. He accused Arizona of carrying out an experiment on his client even though state officials had been fully aware of a previous botched execution that had taken place in Ohio using the same drug combination. He pledged to continue the effort to find out who made the drugs used in the execution of his client.

The chief judge of the ninth circuit federal appeals court, Alex Kozinski, told the Guardian that he was not surprised by what had happened. “I have seen this coming for a long time. It's hard to watch these executions and not realise that these blunders are bound to happen,” he said.

In his dissenting opinion to the stay of execution issued by the appeals court this week, Kozinski argued that the use in executions of drugs designed to help sick people was an “enterprise doomed to failure”. On Wednesday, he told the Guardian that he had thought about the problems with lethal injections for a long time, and that though his criticisms were not geared specifically to the Wood case in particular, he had decided it was time to speak out.

The use of such drugs was, he said, “a complicated process that is not designed for executions. I had no idea how this would go down in the Wood case, but it's obvious that this is the kind of process where there tends to be these kinds of problems.”

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), which has been campaigning against death penalty secrecy in several states, said that Arizona had violated the first amendment, the eighth amendment and the bounds of basic decency.

“Joseph Wood suffered cruel and unusual punishment when he was apparently left conscious long after the drugs were administered. It’s time for Arizona and the other states still using lethal injection to admit that this experiment with unreliable drugs is a failure,” said Cassandra Stubbs, director of the ACLU's capital punishment project.

The Wood execution is certain now to provoke renewed debate about the concoctions of drugs used by death penalty states, as well as about the secrecy with which those states have shrouded the procedure. So far this year seven states have carried out executions - Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma and Texas – and all seven have introduced varying degrees of secrecy around their execution drugs.

The controversial measures followed a European-led boycott of the US death penalty that has blocked key drugs used in executions from reaching departments of correction. As supplies have run short, and expired, states have resorted to untried improvisations while insisting on hiding the identities of their suppliers in order to keep supply lines open.

Numerous legal challenges have been attempted in the courts arguing that such secrecy puts prisoners in danger because it prevents them from ensuring that the drugs being used to kill them are of sufficient strength and efficacy to do the job humanely without breaching their eighth amendment right against cruel and unusual punishment. Successive courts – including the US supreme court, most recently on Tuesday night in the Wood case – have dismissed that argument as lacking in substance.

But the spectacle in Arizona of a prisoner taking almost two hours to die after he was administered drugs, the origin of which was kept secret, will can only bolster the cases of lawyers and anti-death penalty campaigners.

The midazolam-hydromorphone combination used on Wood was also used by Ohio in January to put to death Dennis McGuire. Expert anaesthetists had warned that the state was using too weak a dosage, yet Ohio officials went ahead – with the result that McGuire took 26 minutes to die.

Midazolam was also used in the botched execution of Clayton Lockett by Oklahoma in April.

In the runup to the Wood execution, Arizona refused to divulge any information about the drugs it intended to use. It only revealed that it had obtained federally approved medicines, signaling that the sedative and painkillers had been produced by licensed manufacturers.

Only two manufacturers of midazolam in America – Akorn and Sagent, both headquartered in Illinois – have failed to put distribution controls in place that prevent the chemical being sold to US corrections departments for use in executions.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...er-still-alive-an-hour-after-execution-begins

It really trips me out how they seem to have managed to semi botch several executions using an IV administered combo of a strong benzodiazepine with a strong opioid. You have to wonder how so many drug users who are taking this shit daily are dropping off on a daily basis yet the Government cannot get this right as a simple and relatively painless way to perform an execution. Surely it would not be difficult to select a dose ten times that of which would be expected to kill a man of the condemned's size and effectively ensure their death?

I really don't see what is wrong with a bullet to the head, or a garrote or a guillotine etc. There are many effective ways to kill a human being. I do not actually agree with the death penalty, but it seems arbitrary, bureaucratic and uncompassionate to sit and watch a man die for two hours when there are many employable methods to expedite the death process.

What a nightmare!! How many fucking times does this shit have to happen? Like drug mentor said, 10x a regular "lethal" dosage would be sufficient to do the job in short order. Is it that costs more?? They may not say it but I think that might play into it a bit which is pitiful.
The dude was a fucking scumbag, no doubt about it, but this seems like a form of torture to me and I hope Arizona gets the shit sued outta them. It'll take 50yrs til the case is heard anyways so it won't really help now but they deserve to at least lose some money. After all, this is America and all that matters is the bottom line...

I don't think it's unreasonable to suspect that the cocktails are being intentionally underdosed.

Like drug mentor said, 10x a regular "lethal" dosage would be sufficient to do the job in short order. Is it that costs more??

All cost included life without parole is cheaper.

"Recent studies show that executing a criminal costs more than life imprisonment does. Many states have found it cheaper to sentence criminals to life in prison than to go through the time-consuming and bureaucratic process of executing a convicted criminal. Donald McCartin, an Orange County, California Jurist famous for sending nine men to death row during his career, has said, "It's 10 times more expensive to kill [criminals] than to keep them alive." [46] This exclamation is actually low according to a June 2011 study by former death penalty prosecutor and federal judge Arthur L. Alarcón, and law professor Paula Mitchell. According to Alarcón and Mitchell, California has spent $4 billion on the death penalty since 1978, and death penalty trials are 20 times more expensive than trials seeking a sentence of life in prison without possibility of parole.[47] Studies in other states show similar patterns.[48][49]"*

The dude was a fucking scumbag, no doubt about it.

Innocent people are sentenced to death. Between 1973 and 2005 123 death row inmates have been exonerated (had the charges dropped).

"University of Michigan law professor, Samuel Gross led a team of experts in the law and in statistics that estimated the likely number unjust convictions. The study determined that at least 4% of people on death row were and are innocent. The research was peer reviewed and the prestigious Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences published it, Gross has no doubt some innocent people have been executed. [12]**

Sources:
*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_debate_in_the_United_States#Cost
**http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_execution#United_States

http://murderpedia.org/male.W/w/wood-joseph.htm

Since u want to argue his innocence, here u go!
Caught gun in hand, revenge killing preceded by many domestic violence incidents.

I'm not in favor of Capitol punishment.
This guy is a "scumbag"!

I've been involved with justice system since I was 11 yrs old so I know it's fallible. This guy would've probably been victimized and/or killed in state prison IMO. Women killer is one step above child killer, both are looked at as unacceptable crimes by serious felons, and are dealt with accordingly.
You like to post all that wiki shit but you must've not read the actual facts of the case since you wanna pretend this guy is innocent. Defend this guy behind the wall and see where that gets you...

No one deserves to be put to death by the state IMO, so arguing this with me is just pointless since we both seem to be against the death penalty... Read the facts of the case, he's clearly guilty. It seems ur argument is that he may be innocent, but if u read the facts of the case u had a witness to the crime and 2 cops see him with the murder weapon right after the crime occurred. Would you set him free? We do have prisons for people like this. No need to kill him. You sound like you would argue that everyone is innocent and should therefore be released from prison just because the justice system has flaws? You should be a defense lawyer since your so easily blinded. They at least get paid to defend scumbags while u do it for free on a drug forum, lmfao!!

I don't think it's unreasonable to suspect that the cocktails are being intentionally underdosed.

This is absolutely correct. Actual doctors may not deliver a fatal overdose to a prisoner because of the hypocratic oath so a random corrections officer does it. In an industry of employed with sadists it is a given. There was a study where they used the old three drug cocktail and they found that most executions involved the intentional under-dosing of the sedative meant to render them unconscious.

How fast have you seen someone fall out from a massive heroin overdose? It is the exact same cause of death.

This also goes to the point of how hard it can be to overdose with just an strong short acting powerful opioid or a strong benzodiazepine itself. While it's incredibly dangerous, the heroin OD myth amazes me in it's persistence, especially considering how those otherwise so knowledgeable on harm reduction and drug related issues tend to propagate it no less than others with less idea of what's actually going on. The necessity of a paralytic agent along with a benzo/barb and opioid OD makes should make that more clear, as cases like this highlight. I digress though...

And the point about the MANY on innocent on death row has nothing to do with the individual in this case and his relative guilt or not. The fact he might be a shit eating worthless asshat doesn't diminish that fact whatsoever. Don't let hate, even if it's understandable hatred, cloud your vision of better judgement.

oy vey! what a bunch of mother fuckers... wouldn't put it past quite a few of the inbred prison guards out there though

Cliffy78

I doubt this mans guilt enough to grant him the cheaper life sentence rather than support torturing and murdering him. I think we agree.

Fucking sick....I am glad I am not in the USA....this is awful in every way and totally embarrassing. I tell people Im Israeli or Canadian sometimes. Or Honduran, or del Salvador, or Armenia, or Lebanon.........

I can only imagine how uneducated the prison guard paramedics are when it comes to drugs. Doctors and nurses are not allowed to participate so terrible things are very likely to occur.

Fucking sick....I am glad I am not in the USA....this is awful in every way and totally embarrassing. I tell people Im Israeli or Canadian sometimes. Or Honduran, or del Salvador, or Armenia, or Lebanon.........

Well first off it wasn't an innocent man. And second even though he died slow and it probably looked horrific I doubt he suffered very much. He was too out of it he did take a lethal dose after all!

Why don't the government allows itself to produce some regular fucking barb ?!!!?!

Sadistic fucks, can't bring myself to read that.

It really trips me out how they seem to have managed to semi botch several executions using an IV administered combo of a strong benzodiazepine with a strong opioid. You have to wonder how so many drug users who are taking this shit daily are dropping off on a daily basis yet the Government cannot get this right as a simple and relatively painless way to perform an execution. Surely it would not be difficult to select a dose ten times that of which would be expected to kill a man of the condemned's size and effectively ensure their death?

I really don't see what is wrong with a bullet to the head, or a garrote or a guillotine etc. There are many effective ways to kill a human being. I do not actually agree with the death penalty, but it seems arbitrary, bureaucratic and uncompassionate to sit and watch a man die for two hours when there are many employable methods to expedite the death process.

Some people have higher tolerance to opiates especially than others. Had they used Dilaudid-HP solution which goes up to 50mg/ml, I bet they shot him with like 12mg of dilaudid and a double surgery dose of versed.

I'm not an expert but I think that would fall under "cruel and unusual"

When I heard about the drugs they used yesterday (Midazolam and Hydromorphone) I was thinking; i bet opie users are like "Damn that would be an AMAZING and RARE mixture of awesomeness!" lol as long as the doses were 'normal.' Also I was thinking, what if the guy was on like suboxone and had a HUGE benzo tolerance before he was exectued with this mixture and after they gave him the dose he was just like laying there like completely fine.. obviously that would be hard to acquire a huge benzo tolerance and get suboxone while in prison, let alone people on death row.

there are several topics of debate here under 1 umbrella

there are anti-death-penalty people, and there are pro-death-penalty-people, and there are people who's main focus is a more consistently 'humane' method of execution.

The first two groups (possibly all 3, who knows?) are a bit radically committed to their own cause

I've overdosed on a combination of Xanax and OxyContin a few years ago, and it wasn't fun at all.

What I mean is, the fact that I couldn't breathe quickly did away with any feelings of euphoria.

Based on what I felt, I imagine this man was in distress during his final moments - gasping for air but unable to breathe.

Nevermind that not being able to breathe can be an extremely scary experience; the feeling of impending death due to not being able to breathe - for whatever reason - can be particularly traumatizing.

This is why swimmers who have drowned and were successfully revived will usually keep away from the beach for the rest of their lives - especially if it happened when they were children.

I'm not trying to excuse what the man did to his victims - just saying that it's not a fun experience to overdose on a benzo + opioid. Any euphoria quickly gives way to terror as the oxygen-starved brain releases enormous amounts of adrenaline and stress hormones as a result.

Edit - If the DOJ is trying to go for capital punishments as pain-free as possible, perhaps they should re-evaluate the fairly new status quo.