• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Man executed with hydromorphone and midazolam takes 2 hours to die, gasps 660 times

^ro I agree, the experience of an OD, which I think I've had the pleasure of three or four times now, can be horribly fucking scary. The worst for me was cocaine, I've had mixed responses to opioid/heroin ODs - although at best they're horrible too - and then benzo OD I honestly just don't remember (I probably would have just stopped breathing in my sleep and wouldn't have known if someone else wasn't there). Mixing benzo and heroin for an OD I cannot speak to (fortunately so I guess).

Funny how capital punishment was denounced in America's criminal justice system back in 2008 or 2009 by even the most ardent supporters of it among judges and prosecutors and the debate on whether it's a worthwhile or effective form of punishment continue to go on (and probably will for as long as I can imagine)... I guess those folks aren't really interested in trying to be reasonable though, a the post above says (as it's largely just something they feel strongly about and therefore will support). Ah, the human condition.

No one knows for sure what he felt, but I have watched many people die natural deaths. It sounds like a pretty painless one to me. Many people make that snoring sound as they pass, and it is often just from the voice box relaxing and causing that sound. And we give alot of opiates. Then again, this was not a natural death. I do think they need to find a way to fix this, because if there is any doubt, that is too much doubt.

the guilotine is the most humane way to kill someone, it's instant. it looks bad though so isn't politically correct.

^The fact the guillotine so obviously decapitates/kills someone should make it perfect for capital punishment. Why try to hide what you're really doing if it's truly legit? After all, it is at least physically a very humane way to kill someone, at least as in death is instantaneous. I don't understand the desire to minimize violence when it's real and propagated in so many different forms and ways that should be and once were obvious, but have become either normalized or made almost invisible.

The choice of hydromorphone was a poor one, they should have gone for something with a longer half life and greater respiratory depression. Maybe methadone.

Also, is it possible that he had a tolerance (given the preponderance of drugs in prison) that wasn't taken into account?

I have a lot of mixed feelings about capital punishment.

This deceased man apparently murdered multiple people in cold blood - I get that.

As a result, the victims' families want justice to be served, as would I if in their situation.

What bothers me has to do with whomever is involved in synthesizing, preparing, and dispensing the hydromorphone and midazolam for the execution - both controlled substances, and, whomever is involved in administering a very high dosage of these drugs into the death row inmate's circulatory system, as well as ensuring, checking that he's clinically dead.

"♫Well, someone's gotta do it...♫"

♫Well...♫ Again, I'm not defending the actions of a murderer, but if you're licensed as a medical professional, doesn't this sort of thing greatly conflict with the whole "do no harm," Hippocratic Oath, etc? Or are they just guidelines rather than rules?

In any case, hopefully they're not forced or threatened into participating if they don't want to. But if they are, well poop.

^ Pretty sure that last point is why they have untrained Prison staff (I seem to recall reading this somewhere, I definitely could be wrong) inserting the IV in instead of a doctor or nurse, because performing an execution would certainly violate the Hippocratic oath that doctors take.

^The fact the guillotine so obviously decapitates/kills someone should make it perfect for capital punishment. Why try to hide what you're really doing if it's truly legit? After all, it is at least physically a very humane way to kill someone, at least as in death is instantaneous. I don't understand the desire to minimize violence when it's real and propagated in so many different forms and ways that should be and once were obvious, but have become either normalized or made almost invisible.

No doubt about it, the only reason they don't execute via guillotine is pure optics. It just looks bad and they know people would be absolutely against the death penalty if it was used in such a way.

Also, to second what others have said, how in the world do they not just use a massively large dose? I can't imagine that if you gave someone like 50mg of hydromorphone alone that you would have any problems killing anyone. Also can't imagine that it's all that pricey to do so. That being said, I'm totally against the death penalty as I believe that it's been shown to be ineffective as a deterrent and to not be a cost effective form of punishment either.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suspect that the cocktails are being intentionally underdosed.

Either that or they are even more incompetent then i thought. I am totally against state sanctioned capital punishment as it is just another extension of the power structure of the state but if they want to kill someone painlessly or as painless as possible why not just give them a huge shot of say Nembutal and Fentanyl mixed together? No doubt with that combo you would be dead pretty quick. They use Nembutal and Seconal in assisted suicides so why not use the same drugs for killing condemned criminals?

Hell id rather the firing squad then the way this guy died as atleast it would be quick. But of course you need a nice sanitary bloodless way of killing people to keep up the public support for the death penalty. That literally makes me sick as sanitizing state sanctioned murder seems like the most cowardly thing ever. I would like to see what people would think of the death penalty if they brought the guillotine to America. I doubt many of the spectators would be able to sleep for a few months after seeing someones head chopped off. Granted anyone who would choose to work as a corrections officer or actually want to kill someone they have never even met would have to be a sadist. Chances are if they where not acting as puppets of the state and getting off on their sadistic tendencies that way they would be serial killers or something.

Last edited:
Hmm one time I was trying to kinda flirt with death and I took 40 mg hydrocodone/1400 mg APAP mixed with 100 mg DXM, 20 mg valium, a few beers and about 100 mg of adderall. Don't really know what happened but I guess I passed out because I went blank for 15 mins then I woke up feeling like if I had been drowning, gasping for air covered head to toe in sweat. Then I went and vomited and I was ok. I was alone at the time

1000mg morphine, 40mg midazolam, job done. I can't believe they can't figure it out.

Did anyone here see the "lethal " dose used was 50mg hydromorphone and 50mg midazolam. They started with that and re-did it 15 times for a total of 750mg hydromorphone and 750mg midazolam. I think someone with a tolerance could survive the initial dose that was supposed to be lethal... which is probably what happened here.

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) — During the nearly two hours it took for an Arizona death row inmate to die last week, executioners injected him with 15 times the amount of a sedative and a painkiller that they originally intended to use, according to documents released Friday.

Records released to Joseph Rudolph Wood's attorneys show he was administered midazolam and hydromorphone in 50-milligram increments 15 times between 1:53 p.m. and 3:45 p.m., for a total of 750 milligrams of each drug. He was pronounced dead at 3:49 p.m. after gasping more than 600 times while he lay on the table.

Arizona's execution protocol calls for 50 milligrams of each drug, although some states use as much as 500 milligrams of midazolam in their execution procedures.

"Those are pretty staggering amounts of medication. They did not shortchange in the dose," said Karen Sibert, a longtime anesthesiologist and spokeswoman for the California Society of Anesthesiologists.

Sibert, an associate professor at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, said patients who are sedated before a surgery typically receive no more than 2 milligrams each of midazolam and hydromorphone.

"It would be rare that I would use more than 2 milligrams even for a lengthy surgery," Sibert said. "If that is accurate, that is absolutely a lethal dose."

Wood's attorney, Dale Baich, said the dosage details show why an independent investigation of Wood's execution by a nongovernmental authority is necessary.

"The Arizona execution protocol explicitly states that a prisoner will be executed using 50 milligrams of hydromorphone and 50 milligrams of midazolam," he said in a written statement. "The execution logs released today by the Arizona Department of Corrections shows that the experimental drug protocol did not work as promised. Instead of the one dose as required under the protocol, ADC injected 15 separate doses of the drug combination, resulting in the most prolonged execution in recent memory."

Wood's July 23 execution renewed debate over the death penalty and the efficacy of lethal injection. It was the third execution to go awry in the U.S. this year.

An Ohio inmate gasped in similar fashion for nearly 30 minutes in January. An Oklahoma inmate died of a heart attack in April, minutes after prison officials halted his execution because the drugs weren't being administered properly.

States have refused to reveal details about their lethal injection procedures, such as which pharmacies are supplying the drugs and who is administering them, because of concerns over harassment. Wood had filed several appeals that were denied by the U.S. Supreme Court, arguing that he and the public have a right to those details. Such demands for greater transparency have become a new legal tactic in death penalty cases.

Arizona officials say Wood, who was convicted of a 1989 double-murder, never suffered and was completely sedated, but his attorney called it a "horrifically botched execution" that should have taken 10 minutes.

Gov. Jan Brewer ordered a review of the state's execution process, saying she's concerned by how long it took for the drug protocol to kill Wood. The Arizona Department of Corrections said Friday it is seeking an outside investigator for the independent inquiry.

"I am committed to a thorough, transparent and comprehensive review process," director Charles Ryan said in a news release. "This will be an authoritative review to ensure that fact-based conclusions are reached regarding every aspect of this procedure, including the length of time it took for the execution to be lawfully completed."

Wood, convicted of killing ex-girlfriend Debbie Dietz and her father, Gene Dietz, in Tucson, took gasps for air for more than 90 minutes after officials administered the drugs.

His attorneys attempted to stop the execution after it was clear he was taking too long to die, but their efforts were not successful.

Ryan, the corrections chief, has denied that the execution was botched.

"Despite the attention given to this execution, the level of transparency and openness regarding executions is consistent with established and long-standing Department of Corrections policy," Ryan said. "As director, I am committed to a full, complete and transparent account of the events of inmate Wood's execution."

Hmm one time I was trying to kinda flirt with death and I took 40 mg hydrocodone/1400 mg APAP mixed with 100 mg DXM, 20 mg valium, a few beers and about 100 mg of adderall. Don't really know what happened but I guess I passed out because I went blank for 15 mins then I woke up feeling like if I had been drowning, gasping for air covered head to toe in sweat. Then I went and vomited and I was ok. I was alone at the time

My God man, your vital organs must have taken a beating, from which they hopefully recovered fully.

I wonder if prisoners are informed of what type of drugs will be used to execute them.

They probably have to be. What about some kind of fent has like the Russians used in the theater seige? There are so many netter options.

I bet he didn't expect it to be such a bad death. If I was told I was going to be killed with hydromorphone, I'd be expecting something pleasant and easy. Poor guy.

I agree that a bullet to the head or the guillotine would be more humane - as methods of killing go.
I am against the death penalty because I feel that no human, however terrible, is beyond the possibility of rehabilitation.
I like the system in Sweden (or was it Norway?) where 20 years is the maximum penalty for a crime.
Then again, your prisons need to be focused on rehabilitation, not on punishment, for this to work.

I wonder if prisoners are informed of what type of drugs will be used to execute them.

I dunno, but the source of the drugs was kept secret.

Did you wait 2 years to make that post, morglemon?
Congratulations on your first post, and welcome to Bluelight as a participant.