• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Took 1 Wellbutrin - having SERIOUS problems

WeedDxm

Bluelighter
Here is the background to this story.

At work one day, I told one of my coworkers that I was tired and didn't want to work today, and he proceded to give me a 'happy' pill. He said, "here, this will help you out". He then told me that it was a Wellbutrin pill. I was aware that Wellbutrin is a anti-depressants, and anti-depressants usually take around 30 days to kick in the 'happy' feeling. I dismissed the pill, and put it in my wallet incase I needed it for something.

It has now been two weeks since that day. Today at work there was nothing to do, and I explained to another coworker about how I thought it was funny that the other coworker had given me a 'happy' pill. Since we were really bored and I didn't think that I would have any negative effects from 1 pill, I ate the pill.

Later that day, about an hour before I was scheduled to leave, my manager approached me. She asked me, "Is everything OK?". I thought this was a very weird question to ask at the time, as I thought that I had been acting perfectly normal and everything was going like it always had. She just came up to me and asked it, for no apparent reason. About 10 minutes later, another manager came up to me and said I could leave early.

After work, I looked in the mirror, and noticed that my pupils were HUGE. Like if you looked at me you would probably think that I was obviously tripping on shrooms or acid. I put two and two together, and realized that my manager had probably asked me if I was OK because my pupils were the size of golf balls and it was very noticeable. After work, I also started to have this strange feeling. Everything just seems weird, and I have this sense that something bad is going to happen to me soon. I've never felt like this before, and it's really creeping me out.

Do some people just have bad reactions to Wellbutrin or something? I'm just really freaking out, this is not looking good for me..

What other meds and or recreational drugs have you taken recently (it's important as it doesn't play nice with some other drugs)? Also, I don't suppose you know whether you took the extended release version.

All drugs are different. Not all anti-depressants are the same, actually. Wellbutrin is a norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor (NDRI), a bit like methylphenidate (Ritalin). It's not the usual sort of antidepressant that you have to take for a while to achieve equilibrium. Those drugs, for instance Prozac, Lexapro/Cipralex, Luvox, etc - are called SSRIs or SNRIs - drugs that block the reuptake of serotonin and/or norepinephrine). Wellbutrin actually is different because it's a cathinone, which is actually close to a class of abused drugs (the substituted cathinones - mephedrone, methylone, and MDPV being the most commonly found).

If you normally don't take buproprion, and suddenly take probably a pretty large dose, that sort of reaction is totally normal. High blood pressure (hypertension), pupil dilation, anxiety, twitchiness, etc are all side effects from norepinephrine flooding your brain. Norepinephrine buildup in your iris causes pupil dilation. It is also a key part of the fight or flight system in your brain, and metabolizes to adrenaline (epinephrine). When you take Wellbutrin it will certainly put you on edge and raise your blood pressure. In addition, buproprion (Wellbutrin) also blocks nicotinic receptors in your brain, which counteracts some of the stimulation and can make you feel weird.

You just have to wait it out. It won't damage you. Let this be a lesson: Don't take Wellbutrin recreationally, it's not a fun drug :) Stick to caffeine if you want to get cranked instead.

Last edited:
Yes, I totally had that happen to me, except maybe worse. I work in the medical field and *ahem* came across some wellbutrin and much like you, I was bored. But I also knew the mechanism of action & thought I may be able to make it recreational. It was only fun if you consider echoing voices, tunnel vision, slurred speech & confessional session with the bf fun, ha. And the confessional session was a total lie, too... I told him I was cheating on him & I wasn't. *face palm* I screwed the pooch on that one, haha, but I do remember having some amazing sex afterwards (we swing, so the cheating thing isn't quite as bad as it sounds, lol) My fiance pretty much keeps his nose out of my pharmaceutical businessess but he is aware that Wellbutrin & Seroquel are not to be ingested by me. I had a serious freakout that night, it was actually way weirder than any acid I've dropped or any other drug I've touched; a cold shower wouldn't calm me down, nothing. It was so bizarre and not in an awesome way. I distinctly remember my feet feeling like they were as light as a feather, but when it took a step, it felt like my foot was going to go through the ground. Strange to describe, actually. Most of all though, I can relate to you with the impending doom feeling. Wellbutrin made me feel like the world was about to finally end & all I could think about was trying to keep calm & making myself as small as possible (because that's totally going to help).

the norepenephrine increase probably caused a panic attack. Especially if it was the generic immediately release kind which are not time released like the name brand wellbutrin and flood the system too quick and too fast

when I was on wellbutrin I could only tolerate the brand name. Unfortunately my insurance would only cover the generic and the generic made me break out in panic, sweats, increased heart rate, nervous sweats, shortness of breath. So I had to forgoe wellbutrin,

it is also used to treat adhd hence the speed feeling, my friends decided to half one of my 150's that i was prescribed (they ingested it nasally) and they tweaked hard. i on the other hand am currently prescribed 300mg and it calms me down... so im just assuming that you were experiencing the effects that dubbed the nickname "legal crack"

Ugh the Sense of impending doom is the worst. It can actually be a side effect of such meds. Drink lots of water, get that shit out of your system. Hope you're doing better.

First, never take antidepressants, they all fucking suck...my poor mother on 10mg of Lexapro is too niave to realize that after a few weeks she doesn't REALLY "feel" any better at all!
I'll make sure she gets off after a full month with no results..

Buperenorphine is NOT Bupropion, FYI, don't confuse the 2!

Tho you wouldn't feel quite as shitty with the Bupe tho, imo lol,

Antidepressants really do help some people. They saved my life (well, antipsychotics did the saving part)

But they are used very freely. Wellbutrin is some scary shit, too. A friend of mine just had a seizure and split her skull because of that stuff.

I've had very bad reactions on wellbutrin. I am Manic bi-polar and my doctor decided to give me 300mg of wellbutrin twice a day. I ended up filled with rage, smashed my car with a baseball bat, broke all my posessions, and ended up trying to kill myself, which put got me 302'd into the hospital for 3 months. Just off my very first dose of wellbutrin. It can give people terrible terrible side effects, it turned me into a rage filled monster after one dose, which is odd as neither concerta, coke, adderall, or meth has done this to me.

Your doctor started you at 600mg a day?!?! That's insane... He should loses his license

The highest recommended dose is 450mg and that's for people that have been on it for a while.

Last edited:
No idea about antidepressant effects but I find Wellbutrin XR very effective at getting rid of stim cravings.

That's pretty unfortunate. I'm sorry OP. I take Wellbutrin daily and hardly notice anything at all. I hope everything with your job is okay and hopefully they didn't notice TOO much of any strangeness and maybe you got to leave early just cuz? I dunno but I hope that aspect is alright, your job I mean. Taking WB by itself recreationally years ago caused me to act more manic than I have ever experienced in front of a group of people which was fucking embarrassing!

That's pretty unfortunate. I'm sorry OP. I take Wellbutrin daily and hardly notice anything at all. I hope everything with your job is okay and hopefully they didn't notice TOO much of any strangeness and maybe you got to leave early just cuz? I dunno but I hope that aspect is alright, your job I mean. Taking WB by itself recreationally years ago caused me to act more manic than I have ever experienced in front of a group of people which was fucking embarrassing!

This happened like 5 months ago, but I was OK eventually. I just felt really weird for a few days and then I was fine. I still don't understand why that happened though..

If you don't have a chemical imbalance, anti depressants are going to affect you differently than those who do.
(Seratonin syndrome)

Tramadol does my pupils like this, wires my brain, and makes me feel in the zone.

Be careful doing this at work...you could get fired.

If you don't have a chemical imbalance, anti depressants are going to affect you differently than those who do.
(Seratonin syndrome)

Tramadol does my pupils like this, wires my brain, and makes me feel in the zone.

Be careful doing this at work...you could get fired.

Welbutrin has no effect on serotonin

I've been taking 300mg Wellbutrin XR everyday for about 3 months now and I never once felt anything like that.. It did help me tremendously with my cigarette addiction though. I started smoking when I was about 15 and by the time I was a sophomore high school, I was smoking a pack a day. I have a very addictive personality lol.. Tried cutting down on my own but over the years I was only able to cut down to a pack every 3 days or so, depending if they were good days or bad days. By the 2nd day on Wellbutrin, I already noticed the difference. For the first time in years, I didn't really want to smoke and it was the weirdest feeling ever.. I tried fighting it and continued to smoke as I normally did. I felt almost uncomfortable knowing that something I enjoyed so much was being taken away from me (even though I was the one that asked my Dr to prescribe them to me lol I didn't really think they'd work, especially not this fast). Every time I forced myself to smoke that day, I felt a little sick to my stomach. Not enough to affect my schedule though. On the 3rd day, I only had 1 cigarette. The 4th day was the first time I went an entire day without a cigarette since the beginning of high school..

I will say, I didn't quit completely.. I don't think I ever will. But now I only have 2, maybe 3 at the most per week.

Here is the background to this story.

At work one day, I told one of my coworkers that I was tired and didn't want to work today, and he proceded to give me a 'happy' pill. He said, "here, this will help you out". He then told me that it was a Wellbutrin pill. I was aware that Wellbutrin is a anti-depressants, and anti-depressants usually take around 30 days to kick in the 'happy' feeling. I dismissed the pill, and put it in my wallet incase I needed it for something.

It has now been two weeks since that day. Today at work there was nothing to do, and I explained to another coworker about how I thought it was funny that the other coworker had given me a 'happy' pill. Since we were really bored and I didn't think that I would have any negative effects from 1 pill, I ate the pill.

Later that day, about an hour before I was scheduled to leave, my manager approached me. She asked me, "Is everything OK?". I thought this was a very weird question to ask at the time, as I thought that I had been acting perfectly normal and everything was going like it always had. She just came up to me and asked it, for no apparent reason. About 10 minutes later, another manager came up to me and said I could leave early.

After work, I looked in the mirror, and noticed that my pupils were HUGE. Like if you looked at me you would probably think that I was obviously tripping on shrooms or acid. I put two and two together, and realized that my manager had probably asked me if I was OK because my pupils were the size of golf balls and it was very noticeable. After work, I also started to have this strange feeling. Everything just seems weird, and I have this sense that something bad is going to happen to me soon. I've never felt like this before, and it's really creeping me out.

Do some people just have bad reactions to Wellbutrin or something? I'm just really freaking out, this is not looking good for me..

same thing happen to me basically. what is weird is i took this as a child and didnt really notice anything. i was off meds for years and was having anxiety and panic attacks as an adult. they put me on wellbutrin and the day i took a dose it was terrible. i dont remmeber the mgs but my anxiety felt way worse. i had that feeling you describe like soemthing bad is gonna happen. everything seemed to look kinda different like i was feeling dissociated or going out of it. at the same time it was an unpleasant stimulating feeling. i went back to the dr and told them it made me worse. they had my trying all different kinds of drugs until we found the ones that worked best. what is nice is once you establish that you are not a junkie and can control use they will be a lot more lenient on letting you try meds. i dont remember my pupils getting big though. you could have been having a severe panic attack and on the verge of passing out. were you dehydrated or was your stomach empty? low sugar maybe? i can be hard to say for sure. it could certainly even be a combo of these and the wellbutrin. if you want to try these drugs get them from the doctor. its much safer. if you keep having this happen if may not even be the wellbutrin. i felt better the next day when i took it last. it's also a little bit similar to amphetamines but not controlled. i also never really heard of anyone abusing it. you might need something like xanax and/or and antidepressant tho.