• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Higher Tolerancy of MDMA with ADHD and ADD people.

KingLear8

Greenlighter
Some reasons for this are obvious, yet others aren't. thought this could be a topic of interest, especially for other people with ADHD like myself to state their experiences of doses (as they are often higher than what none adhd people take).

Hmm, interesting thought. I've long suspected myself of having ADD (although I've never been tested) and find that I dose higher than most people where MDMA is involved. I've just always put that on being fairly tall though.
Would be nice if someone with some knowledge on this chipped in

I'd say that instead of ADHD causing the tolerance increase, it would be the long-term use of the ADHD stimulant medications (adderall, vyvanse, ritalin etc). People with ADHD who medicate daily probably have a much higher general stimulant tolerance to those that are naiive. Just my view.

I don't think that ppl diagnosed with ADD/ADHD take their medication(s) daily, at least not all of 'em and obviously rather those who use it as prescribed as those using it recreationally.

Edit: Btw, of course i'm also interested in what the OP asked, as i'm also diagnosed with ADHD and take Methylphenidate sometimes. I wanted to add this because i don't get effects from MDMA and the like; same goes for 'pure' stimulants.

Last edited:
I don't think that ppl diagnosed with ADD/ADHD take their medication(s) daily, at least not all of 'em and obviously rather those who use it as prescribed as those using it recreationally.

Edit: Btw, of course i'm also interested in what the OP asked, as i'm also diagnosed with ADHD and take Methylphenidate sometimes. I wanted to add this because i don't get effects from MDMA and the like; same goes for 'pure' stimulants.

When you say you dont get effects from MDMA, do you mean from regular doses? I have a friend whos is 6'7", 230lbs, and has been on adderall for years and takes it very regularly and wants to try some MDMA soon. He will obviously start with a normal dose to be safe but can he expect to need more?

1.5mg/kg of body weight I think is the "standard" dosage.

With that being said, first time it's always better to start on the lower side of dosing

I've been diagnosed with ADD and I've needed larger doses than most to feel the full effects from the beginning. But I don't think it's related. I could be completely wrong as this is just a hunch but...

Yeah you're all pretty much confirming my suspicions. I agree with JWills20 that the long term exposure to stimulants is definitely a factor, I myself have taken Ritalin since I was 12. The reason I asked is because one time - which was a one off and rather careless of me - I decided to test my theory and dropped a 500mg bomb in one go. They were MDMA crystals, or Mandy, and yes - they were tested. They're good shit. Normally I drop like a 250mg bomb and then redose with about 150-200mg a couple hours later. I rarely take less than that over the course of a night, but the 500mg bomb night was the first night I took my whole load at the same time.
I won't lie; I was pretty fucked lol. I didn't want to dance, mainly just sit and chat and hug the fuck out of everyone I saw. But besides that, and a couple visual distortions, I survived comfortably, slept, and then had an okay comedown the next day, eating two smallish meals.
I don't need lecturing, I know it was stupid and I doubt I'll do it again because it robbed me of wanting to dance, but my point is that I know people have ODed from less amounts than that taken at one time, so I wanted to see if the tolerance was mirrored in other ADD peeps.

I don't take Methylphenidate (XR) daily, just if i want to and if i take it my usual dose is 20mgs, but sometimes i up the dose to 60mgs/day, divided in 3x20mgs spread troughout the day depending on what i'm doing! I've taken MDMA when i was young and it's effects were as they should be (dosage unknown as it's far too long ago). The last time i took MDMA the dose was around 125mgs (a bit more than 1.5mg/kg) and it was a weak experience with almost no hangover (even though it was decent, high-quality MDMA).

To those that believe people with add/adhd need bigger doses, What kind of dose are we talking? I still havent found a "Sweet spot" I dont get touchies, and i dont necessarily feel "love" Ive just come to terms with what i personally feel, and i still like it. However i still think im missing something here.

My dose is usually 100-150 followed by some smaller booster if at a show. Last time i rolled was at home on 100mg after a 6 month break, fun, but still no touchies or deep "lovey" feelings.

To those that believe people with add/adhd need bigger doses, What kind of dose are we talking? I still havent found a "Sweet spot" I dont get touchies, and i dont necessarily feel "love" Ive just come to terms with what i personally feel, and i still like it. However i still think im missing something here.

My dose is usually 100-150 followed by some smaller booster if at a show. Last time i rolled was at home on 100mg after a 6 month break, fun, but still no touchies or deep "lovey" feelings.

Well it wouldn't be very HR-minded if I would advise you to drop a big dose once (200mg) to see what that'll do. I just know from personal experience that's the dose I need to feel the full effects (at least 200mg, usually I do 250mg). So you can decide for yourself what to try =D If you've tried bigger doses already maybe you just react differently than most people?

Last edited:
This is interesting because there seem to be subtle differences in all kinds of drug experiences for ADD people. I have several friends with ADD/ADHD and they all eventually suffered panic attacks from weed and can now only smoke tiny amounts, myself included. Also, we ALL have ridiculous tolerance for MDMA, I'm talking 500+ Mg's a night and still being able to walk around/talk to people etc. None of my "normal friends" have this. It is the other way around, they can smoke as much weed as they like BUT need to be way more careful with MDMA then us ADD folk. It seems that people without ADD/ADHD are much more prone to being "floored" and stuff. Quite interesting.

^ Yeah that sounds familiar.
A friend of mine who recently got diagnosed with ADHD actually was asked by her psychologist if she ever used stimulants and how she responded to them. How people react to them is apparently a telltale sign for shrinks.

This is interesting because there seem to be subtle differences in all kinds of drug experiences for ADD people. I have several friends with ADD/ADHD and they all eventually suffered panic attacks from weed and can now only smoke tiny amounts, myself included. Also, we ALL have ridiculous tolerance for MDMA, I'm talking 500+ Mg's a night and still being able to walk around/talk to people etc. None of my "normal friends" have this. It is the other way around, they can smoke as much weed as they like BUT need to be way more careful with MDMA then us ADD folk. It seems that people without ADD/ADHD are much more prone to being "floored" and stuff. Quite interesting.

^ Yeah that sounds familiar.
A friend of mine who recently got diagnosed with ADHD actually was asked by her psychologist if she ever used stimulants and how she responded to them. How people react to them is apparently a telltale sign for shrinks.

Yep indeed, at least that's also the response I got from my psychiatrist. For me the border between being able to do everything and starting to miss a few beats is around 400-500mg indeed. For everyone else I know with comparable tolerance (mine is not too high) it takes a lot less to floor them

She also remarked that often (but not always) weed is more stimulating for people with ADD/ADHD than for others too. In my case it has all the properties of a mild stimulant, I react the complete opposite to THC/CBD than 99% of people (increased HR, inability to sleep, concentration goes up, general activity goes up, hunger passes, even a slight hint of bruxism if I smoke a lot...). This has something to do with the dopamine system according to her.

And indeed it increases anxiety a LOT for me after years and years of use. And I think this is because of the stimulant factor weed has for me. Not to the point where I can hardly smoke anymore, I never had a panic attack or something, but I am thinking about at least cutting back because of it. Because I can sense that if I keep this up that anxiety will become more severe...

She also remarked that often (but not always) weed is more stimulating for people with ADD/ADHD than for others too. In my case it has all the properties of a mild stimulant, I react the complete opposite to THC/CBD than 99% of people (increased HR, inability to sleep, concentration goes up, general activity goes up, hunger passes, even a slight hint of bruxism if I smoke a lot...). This has something to do with the dopamine system according to her.

A friend of mine is a neuroscientist who's done some work on THC and the dopamine system, I'll try and hear him out on this.

A lot of things said by both you and Dezz sound so familiar, I really should consider getting tested :sus:

I have moderate ADD and I am 6'2 205 lbs and I need closer to 200mg to be "fucked up" and 250mg to be "floored.'

I think my doses are more based on my size than anything else.

A friend of mine is a neuroscientist who's done some work on THC and the dopamine system, I'll try and hear him out on this.

A lot of things said by both you and Dezz sound so familiar, I really should consider getting tested :sus:

That would be awesome! I would really like to learn more about these effects, as I have always wondered what causes them. I know of one other guy that has exactly the same effects from THC as me. I've known he had this for a long time. Guess what I learned about 6 months ago? He is also diagnosed with ADD/ADHD :) Could of course be a coincidence but I do not believe it is...

If it bothers you and you want to do something about it I would advise to indeed get tested. But if it doesn't really bother you I wouldn't. Just because I believe that there is no such thing as a cut and dry case of ADD/ADHD and that one should try to avoid trying to put a stamp on something that is so complex as the human mind :) Because I did not agree with her treatment I asked for a referral to another psychiatrist (she wanted to but me on venlafaxine, seroquel after that if that didn't work, crazy woman) but I am still in doubt about if I should continue or if I should let it be. I experience a lot of difficulties because of my concentration, but I don't know if it's worth being medicated for the rest of my life over some concentration problems...

Some free methylphenidate would be nice though ;) It isn't necessarily bothering me in my daily life, I function fairly well. I do have a bit of an attention deficit however and find it hard to concentrate on most things for longer than say 30 min. I solve this by just doing short 'bursts' of work and taking regular breaks, which works just fine, but I would like to be able to focus more. Perhaps some mindfulness or whatever will help just as much as medication

The unfortunate reality is that more and more people 'qualify' for ADHD (in terms of having enough of the symptoms). It's a product of our technological society and it's only going to get worse. They're going to have to re-evaluate the diagnostic criteria for ADHD because soon enough everyone will qualify.

True JWills20, but the sad fact is that people who have a different way of thinking still needs to function even if current society won't permit that style of thinking. I don't at all see ADD/ADHD as a disorder, it just doesn't fit in as well with today's way of doing things. ADD/ADHD takes focus and distributes that focus on EVERYTHING so there is not really a "priority". Which is great actually for solving problems which are based on systems as a whole but not much else. Sadly the government wants a generation of workers. Not thinkers :/

The diagnosis will stay I think, why not.. just give people some stimulants and the problem is solved... ugh

edit: to add that it also is the cause of huge profit for pharm. It's basically win-win-win for them. Western medicine seems to be more about marketing then actual healing lately. Never actual cures, just drugs that "treat" the problem which you will have to buy again and again.