• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is 14 to young to be taking Shrooms/LSD ?

HakuElfSlothAlien

Greenlighter
Alright, I'm 14 years old. I've been very interested in psychedelics, every day i continue to gather more and more information about them. But recently I have been really wanting to try Acid and Mushrooms. I have tried eating Morning Glory seeds, and drinking them, it was wonderful, but its not the same as Acid or Mushrooms. Im posting on here because I wish to hear from people who have had experiences with one or the other. From what I know, one side of me wants to, but the other side of me says i'm to young... but does age really come into consideration? I think I could be mature enough to handle a trip, but at the same time, I really don't know. Everyones different, and trips seem to be so unpredictable... I do apologize if I come off as some ignorant little kid, or a dumbass, I would just greatly appreciate anything anyone would have to say about this.
Thanks 8)

Its not about how old you are, its about why your doing it. If your doing psychedelics to "GET FUCKED UP MANNN" then just stop and stick to pot. If you legitimately want a spiritual journey and want to learn about yourself than go ahead, start with a low dose and go from there. I started doing lsd back when I was 13. I did it for the wrong reasons and that ruined it for me.

TLDR: Dont do acid to "see shit"

By no means would i want to do it to "get fucked up" acid deserves respect. >.< One thing that does concern me is a bad trip, do they come out of the blue?

Bad trips CAN creep up on you if you have underlying bad thoughts running through your mind, anxiety, depression, anger..
More often I find that bad trips occur due to your surroundings and why you took the drug. I have read many tip reports that say "I was bored and alone. fuck it *fastforward* and it was the most nightmarish experience of my life"
Or when they take it at a party with strangers or bad vibes.

The closest experience I have with a bad trip is being yelled at by my dad while under the influence of lsd. I bawled my eyes out but I quickly recovered

14 does seem a little young but really it's not much younger than when I was when I started experimenting with psychedelics. (16)
I say if you're gonna do it.. start small and use in moderation. You don't wanna eff up your brain. Serotonin imbalances later in life can cause depression and other mental effects.

Age doesn't come into consideration when you are fully developed. A 60 year old person may have as much chance as a bad trip or something going wrong as a 25 year old person may.

The problem here is that you're 14. It could be argued that possible immaturity (being assumed) could lead to you having a bad time or not handling a bad trip if it happens, but it can go further than that. Even if you're a mature 14 year old who has done his research and wants to try psychedelics for reasons other than "let's trip balls maaan" - your brain hasn't matured yet. It's still developing, and while it is it's crucial you don't do anything silly that could affect you adversely for the foreseeable future (or even the rest of your life).

This is the same argument used for smoking pot, there is a lot of controversy over whether or not it causes mental problems (I personally believe it doesn't, it would only cause existing underlying problems to come out) but even a lot arguing that it is safe will still say teens shouldn't use it, it's bad for the developing brain to be taking mind altering substances.

You really don't want to mess with your brain, you've only got one.

Wait a while, and then by all means trip if you want but remember to be safe and keep informed! The fact that you came onto this forum at your age and asked about this instead of diving in definitely shows a level of maturity so I'm sure you'll do great with it when you're older.

x2. You should be interested in chasing girls not psychedelics.

cause its total impossible to do both 8)
Just not enough time in a day!

But besides.. they are gonna do it if they choose to so it's better they know the precautions.

Ya know.. harm reduction site

Give yourself another 6 years if you can man. There aren't many studies about this, but most of the people I know who have taken psychedelics at a young age are depressed now. Not that this is necesarily related.

probably too young.

psychdelics can make a big impression on you- plus teenagers are very impressionable anyway

it didn't damage me but psychedelic use certainly messed with my head more when i was younger than it does now

In all seriousness dude, just wait a few years untill you are more developed, mature or not for your age your brain is in its critical stages of thought wiring and a bad trip happening, well now is the time of your life it's probably worst to happen while your brains neural pathways develop.

You came here and asked us, we tell you the truth, not what you want to hear.

Haku, first of all congratulations that you are laying your cards on the table here inquiring about whether it would be wise to proceed. That in itself shows a good degree of responsibility, which is one of the things you need to trip and be safe.

It is however not all. Haku, at your age your brain is still developing strongly just like your body is undergoing changes. Your brain is readying itself for adulthood, which developmentally will only be reached around 25, and the software of your brain is being written right now, thats why you are in school, learning all sorts of serious life skills and classes. Right now you are surging up to the person you are becoming, and all your efforts should be focussed on becoming the best you can be, and have as much uncomplicated fun as can be had.

Psychedelics don't really fit that, because tripping requires a lot of energy. Your reality will come apart, while it at your age is still being built. Being 14 is a hectic time as you are learning things on high speed and where you question things you shouldnt and dont question things you should. Psychedelics as they are typically used can add significantly to your burden by offering you uniquely intense experiences that can be either very thought provoking or which cause extreme emotions. A very good or very difficult trip can have you in turmoil for weeks. This can affect your grade.

Then there is the added risk. As you are now, not yet psychologically fully developed, you are more vulnerable than in a few years, because you are right now building the personality traits that you in a few years can fall back on. Everyone has risks of crisis. If pushed too hard, some go depressed, others go psychotic, others get a nervous breakdown. Because you are under the strain of puberty and don't have you adult failsafes yet, something as intense as psychedelics is a bigger risk than it would be in a few years. Theres legal risks too, you are not yet as bright at dodging the law or other authorities than you will be in a few years. You might get a record, and for your parents its hell too.

Think about how much less able to deal with things you were at age 10. You were almost clueless compared to now right? Not to offend you but at 18 you are going to look back at 14 and the difference will be just as big as it will be if you now think back to 10. Its going to be a huge difference.

You could argue that teens in the jungle do it too. They do, but its not expected of them to drive a car, hold a demanding job and live in the great stress of western society like is expected of you. If the drug makes them a little funny in the head, or unsteady of hand, or seeing colors a bit different than they should, its less of a problem for them than it will be for you. They will survive, and so will you, but you might not get as good a job and education as you might have gotten otherwise.

Finally, there really is less to gain for you now than there is in just a few years. The older you are, the richer and more complex trips will become, and the greater the reward can be, offset for the risks you take.

You can see where this is going by now =D

Live life to the max right now. Give it your best shot in school, have safe fun with girls, do zany fun stuff you will remember fondly for the rest of your life, but wait with drugs. Drugs will not go away. When you are an adult, four christmasses from now, theres going to be even more drugs to choose from and better drugs will have been tried and tested. You can use drugs all your life, but the next few years, you only get one shot at them and this is it.

Odds are you might still ignore our warnings, because your impulse control hasnt developed fully yet, but take it to heart: you asked us and most of us were clear that it would be best if you waited a few years.

I wish you all the best Haku, use this site and sites like Erowid in the coming years to educate yourself about the realities of drugs, so you don't end up addicted or in a freakout nightmare.
If you got questions, ask us, most of us here are glad to help.

See this thread , particularly this post by NKB:

"Do you think LSD would give me a more clear, positive insight on who I am and help me discover myself?"

No. An identity is something you make for yourself, not something you will discover through augury. Start hiking or camping, learn an instrument, a sport, cooking, take up art, read and learn. And most importantly, share experiences with other people. The value of psychedelics is that they change your perspective, it works better if you have a perspective to change. They will not clear confusion and doubt, if anything they tend to cause more of it (even what little you thought you knew can be taken away), at least temporarily.

Also, a warning, taking drugs to make life more interesting tends to make you a boring person. If your most valued experiences are something people don't understand and can't talk about, you're gonna become really damn alienated. The only people your age who I think stand to gain more than they might lose from tripping are people who are already fucked up. The gifted and mature ought to wait.

edit:

Wait a few years. For now stick to giant bong rips.

If you choose to use cannabis, try to respect it. It's not as addictive and dangerous as alcohol or tobacco, but it still represents a potential risk. Don't let it interfere with your life, and don't rely on it: don't rely on it to make friends, don't rely on it to have sex, don't rely on it for entertainment at the end of the day. You need to be able to live without marijuana before you start using it, and usually that means not smoking marijuana, at least not regularly, until you have a stable life and source of income.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjMno3z841E

Last edited:
lulz
Just look at the average age when people first use alcohol, 13-1/2 y.o.
It is well understood that before the mind fully develops drug use can cause lifelong disabilities.
When the mind stops developing you will get progressively slower mentally. Claiming to be an adult then is the same as saying you feel dumber today than you did yesterday and suspect the trend will continue.
Sure, go ahead and skip over the formative years of your life. Jump straight into adulthood without completing your development.

I did shrooms when I was 16. I would say 14 is pretty young but if you take a mild dosage it would be alright I suppose.

As long as you don't make it a weekly (or even monthly) thing.. I'd approve. Trying it out once, sure.

As for acid, no. Wait with that atleast a couple more years. I'll be taking my first hit this month and I'm currently 18

I truly see acid as the drug that you must wait for until you're absolutely ready. You don't rush psychedelics just to experience them.. but that's just my opinion

^ This may apply for you but you don't know the mind of this person.

I have a friend who is ~30 years old, never freaked out on acid before but shrooms gave him a bad trip once (even though he had tried them multiple previous times with no bad experiences). Either of these drugs could cause a bad trip and that could be bad for someone so young.

Has there even been any research into the effects of taking psychedelics with a developing brain?

i tripped for the first time at sixteen and i feel like that was still young. your brain still has quite a few years of growing left. i am lucky because i did not end up having "bad" trips at that age. i think if i did things would have turned out a lot different for me.

wait as long as you can OP. it seems like the best results usually happen when you start doing these things in college. however i will say that MDMA isnt as bad at a slightly younger age, as long as you dont overdo it of course.