• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction The Pain Management Megathread (Chronic and Acute Pain Discussion) Version 5.0 ~ V

Status
Not open for further replies.
95525680 95852294 90701964

what is novartis Tegretol carbazepln
i have six of these tablets what can i do with them
it gives some effects? do u get high?

First off, this probably doesn't belong in this thread......
Second
Tegretol is a drug that is used as an anticonvulsant, for bipolar disorder, as a mood stabilizer and as an adjunct pain medication such as for neuropathic pain. It is somewhat like Neurontin. The only "high" I could see you getting is a little sleepy. I saw maybe one article where a woman reported euphoric effects with the drug, but this is questionable.
There are many side effects of this drug which can be nasty-blood dyscrasias (meaning your blood cells can get messed up-anemias and such). Furthermore it can reduce the effectiveness of birth control and cause unwanted pregnancies.
I would flush it down the toilet.

Hi guys, I was in rehab for a few weeks. My mom didn't approve of my opiate use, even for back pain. And sure enough, I went through WD. Really depressed now; I'm still in pain, my grandfather died yesterday, and my dad's prostate cancer came back and he needs radiation. I need to get on methadone for the back pain but I can't see anyone until Wednesday. Just smoking a lot and using muscle relaxants. But it doesn't help much with the pain.

Drug rehab or physical therapy/back rehab? I'm so sorry about your losses. I feel like you have many people in your life telling you what to do without any understanding of how you feel.

Guy's i'm reaching out, I really need some help here; First thing first, i'm 21 year old, 6'3, white, handsome male, and I've signed a pretty standard "pain contract" with my Family Practitioner;

I've been taking Norco 10/325 b.i.d./ tid, for 1 year, to treat level 6-7 chronic back and neck pain related to arthritis. Had Mri's, tried chiropractry, stretching, swimming, the whole 9..
It is not effective at all, at the prescribed dosage, and I often use up to the equivalent of 200mg hydrocodone per day, often supplementing my Rx with Opana, Oxycodone, Morphine works great, and when I can't find those I'll settle for Buperenorphine or Tramadol to get some relief.
Contrary to common belief, I don't get high at all when I take these drugs. I do tend to "feel better' in the sense that when I take the pills, i'm able, and willing, to get up off my ass and work HARD.
When I don't have the pills, the pain comes back at least the same intensity, and i'm back to being stuck in a chair, don't want to do a single thing because it fucking hurts, man. The only relief I can get without opiates, is WEED, and I have a huge tolerance, and i'm going broke trying to treat my pain with expensive street pharms and bud, it's just a rip off, I don't care who ya are!!
I want it to be understood that i'm not some junkie who sticks himself and proceeds to suck his own dick for the next hour, but I won't judge anybody...i sincerely just want some pain relief so that I can get on with my life, and contribute to society, sincerely.

Bottom line is, i'm sick and tired of trying to maintain myself, blowing all my money just to get some pain relief.

I have a doctors appt. Monday. I always get so nervous, and this time with good reason. I've decided it's finally time to tell my doctor of my tolerance and possible pseudo-addiction, if you will.

I would really appreciate any of your thoughts on;

1.) Should I tell my doctor of my tolerance/abuse to obtain relief? Like I said, when i'm fixed up, I get up and I work hard until the drugs are well worn off and the pain is back at full gear. It is by no means recreational, unless you consider functioning at a normal level rather fun..i don't but I do thoroughly enjoy being able to contribute.

2.) I've been seriously considering asking for a stronger medication. How should I go about doing this??

3.) I Fear my doctor will want me off all opioids (I always do, drug tests often etc etc..) and if that is the case would it be wise to claim "addiction" in order to get Buprenorpine maintenance?? What are the odds for a Family doc to RX bupe, OFF LABEL for pain??

4.) If I tell my doctor that I've been using Opana, Oxycontin, Dilaudid, Tramadol, and Bupe all from the streets, to treat my pain WILL HE FIRE ME AS A PATIENT?? Or worse, will he red flag me as a seeker??
in leu of my pain contract? (it's rather standard, no early refills, no doctor shopping, drug tests, etc etc..

Basically, any way I can look at this thing, I loose. It's so frustrating to not only be in chronic pain, but having the medications that work so well so tightly controlled, and misunderstood.
Most of my family knows of my pain, and half of them know of my drug use...even the ones who understand are too ingnorant truly "understand" that i'm truly seeking help, they could get "high" off 2 lortab, and I take 10+ a day, so they automatically assume junkie I suppose, although they see how well I function when i'm well, and how poorly I do when i'm not. So the drugs really don't cause any problems with them, other than me constantly asking for money, and seeing me feel like hell when i'm without and in pain.

Any comments or advice before Monday would be greatly appreciated. Sincerley, Treefa

P.S. I'm young, and i'd hate to be red flagged and not get any pain relief, all because of me being honest with my doc, which i'm sure has happened to many.

Last edited:
^^^^DO NOT EVER tell a doctor, especially your pain mgt doctor you have taken another opiate off the street, or even anything other than they prescribe you, you will be discharged so fast your head will spin!!

Its not really the doctor, but the people watching everything the docs are doing, mainly FDA and DEA, doctors have very strict guidelines they must follow, it sucks and is not right, but thats the US...cant do much about it.

Yeah, I pretty well assumed that much... I just really wish there was some way for me to clue my doctor in on my tolerance, so that it's more plausible for me to get relief without having to abuse meds.

He's not technically a pain management doc, he is my Family Practitioner, however I have signed a pain/narcotics contract with him.

I know for a fact, I had to have failed EVERY SINGLE DRUG TEST, appx. 4 or 5, for marijuana, but they never said anything at all about that. Didn't even mention it...I guess when doctors are forced to undertreat everybody's pain, everybody has no choice but to turn to weed and dope...thanks a lot uncle sam.

I HAVE A DOCTORS APPOINTMENT THIS UPCOMING MONDAY!!!

Any advice on how the fuck I ask for something a little more effacious without being red-flagged would be GREATLEY APPRECIATED!!!

These fuckers probably gonna have me buying H in no time....almost prefer a junk addiction to all the hoops you gotta jump thru to get a half-decent RX nowadays...

Thanks tho fizzymk, I could easily have caved in and mentioned that to him, so thanks..

Hi guys, I was in rehab for a few weeks. My mom didn't approve of my opiate use, even for back pain. And sure enough, I went through WD. Really depressed now; I'm still in pain, my grandfather died yesterday, and my dad's prostate cancer came back and he needs radiation. I need to get on methadone for the back pain but I can't see anyone until Wednesday. Just smoking a lot and using muscle relaxants. But it doesn't help much with the pain.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather..... When you say get on methadone, do you mean pills from a pain manager or liquid MMT from a clinic? And also if your mom didn'tapprove of you using your kratom or poppy seed tea, what will she think of you being on methadone (many, many times sstronger)

Hope things are better with you and your husband and that your able to see the kids regularly again....

to Treefa:
You're just going to have to explain that a tolerance builds and you have one. I mean who stays on the same dose for a year with chronic pain? No one. Hopefully he will increase your meds, but don't expect much. I don't get why you had to sign a contract. Are you a known drug seeker?
You need a real pain clinic to see you. Until then you won't be treated properly.

to Treefa:
You're just going to have to explain that a tolerance builds and you have one. I mean who stays on the same dose for a year with chronic pain? No one. Hopefully he will increase your meds, but don't expect much. I don't get why you had to sign a contract. Are you a known drug seeker?
You need a real pain clinic to see you. Until then you won't be treated properly.
I thought ALL pain management doctors made ALL patients sign narcotics contracts, and/or 'pain contracts'...Am I wrong, and some do not require this?

So i recently stopped taking suboxone to get back on oxycodone ! additionally i received two epidurals to fight this chronic pain i have been in since 2004 ! this last epidural really helped my rib pain:however it seems to have made my back pain worse and feel different types of pain. before it was just the sharp shooting and dull ache, as well i feel like antes are crawling up my lower leg. the sharp shooting is not as bad but the dull ache is worse and always killing me now. Before i started suboxone my PCP doctor said it was a a god send to some of his pain patients ! so i wanted to give it a try and i did for 6 months with little relief. So i am seeing a new doctor for the epidurals and meds. But this new dr will not write me anything more the 10/325 oxy 4x a day ! and coming of 16 mg of suboxone taking only the 10/325 is like taking nothing and i went through withdrawals really bad for about 10 days ! at day 10 i had enough and took some suboxone with the 10/325 perk! and i know its supposed to put people into bad withdraw if mixed! However i was already in bad withdrawals and had to try something so i took about 2mg suboxone with 10/325 perk and it not only made the withdraw go away but this mix has given me the best pain relief i have had in years! So when i told this to my new DR i was immediately discharged from the office. Everyone has a unique bio chemistry and my chemistry somehow works well with what makes other people sick. the suboxone with oxycodone mix not only kills my pain but also decreases constipation and i get no fogginess in my head, no more euphoric feeling ether. This is the out come the dr's wanted for me with just the suboxone, but i only get it with subs and oxy. I suppose my main question to this thread is there anyone else who has had success with this mix and if so are you able to get both prescribed? it truly sucks that i finally find what works and there are no doctors that will give me both prescriptions! This whole pain management world is so crazy i just want my pain to be bearable and not feel dependent on full agonist opiate's ! I know in the UK DR's prescribe oxycodone and neltrexone and hydrocodone and naloxone ! I wish it was available to me in the US. I am a fan of what works for my bio chemistry not what the FDA says should work for everyone ! Who knows what happened to oxytrex ? it was in phase 2 in 2005 but i cant find much more then that !

While you are correct that oxycodone and naloxone (Targinact) is sometimes prescribed in the UK, hydrocodone, either by itself or with naloxone isn't available in the UK. The addition of the naloxone is meant to deter IV use of the pill and the naloxone is inactive when taken orally but active the injected or snorted. Same principal in adding naloxone to buprenorphine to give suboxone.

In my experience however, these combo drugs are usually reserved for those who are known to abuse their meds. Doctors usually just prescribe straight oxycodone (oxycontin) or straight buprenorpbine (subutex, temgesic, bu-trans).....this is mainly due to cost as prescribers are under a lot of pressure to keep costs down since drug costs make up by far the highest proportion of costs in the NHS.

While you are correct that oxycodone and naloxone (Targinact) is sometimes prescribed in the UK, hydrocodone, either by itself or with naloxone isn't available in the UK. The addition of the naloxone is meant to deter IV use of the pill and the naloxone is inactive when taken orally but active the injected or snorted. Same principal in adding naloxone to buprenorphine to give suboxone.

In my experience however, these combo drugs are usually reserved for those who are known to abuse their meds. Doctors usually just prescribe straight oxycodone (oxycontin) or straight buprenorpbine (subutex, temgesic, bu-trans).....this is mainly due to cost as prescribers are under a lot of pressure to keep costs down since drug costs make up by far the highest proportion of costs in the NHS.

I have insurance that covers all my meds ! i think doctors here are by far more concerned with the DEA and prescribing with in the limits of FDA guide lines, according to diagnosis! It is not easy to find doctors that prescribe high dose narcotics, even if indicated. I just did another round of epidurals that helped my pain for aprox 3 days and came back with a increased severity. before i got on suboxone there was a dr that actually was helping me IR 30mg oxy 5x a day and IR 10mg 3x a day for breakthrough pain. however this doc retired wile i was trying out the suboxone. My PCP dr had alot of pain patients who did well on subs ! but for me it really did not help my pain. only decreased my pain about 10-15 % on a good day !

to Treefa:

As far as I know, most of my doctor's pain patients who take narcotics everyday have to sign a contract. I'm a pretty new patient too. As far as I know...but then my mom doesn't have to sign a contract OR take a pee test...I don't think anyways..but then she knows the doctor rather well and she's a lot older than me. As far as I know, i'm not a known drug seeker, though technically if I were it would be because of the drastically low doses of weak opioids i'm given that don't adequately control my bowl movements much less my chronic back and neck pain.
My state is like #1 or #2 in the U.S.A for Opioid abuse and diversion, if i'm not mistaken. Might have a little to do with it...

I don't ever expect jack shit from a doctor's appointment...I always go in just waiting for the doc to say something like "well son, you pissed pure reefer for the past 12 months! Gotta let you go..good luck!", but he ain't mentioned the pot yet, just like I aint mentioned my exponential tolerance to opioids.

Fuck it, took my last 2 Norco I was saving for my drug test last night, along with 1/2 gram or so of tramadol....idk if the Hydro will still be in my pee, but i'll tell him I ran out a few days early and maybe he'll get the picture
I'm just sick of having to beat around the bush.

Shit, i'd just like to not have to worry about it anymore, constantly.
As for pain management, i'm frankly quite opposed to the idea...some of the things I've heard about them clinics...that they treat everybody like dirt, too strict with rules...I'm only human here, man!

T-50 someodd hours until doctor's appointment...Opioid supply-nil. Marijuana supply-very nearly nil. Hope supply-nil. Morale-dangerously low. Back&neck-aching steadily.

so ur in Florida ! its so easy to get anything you want there ! it sounds like your already paying for um one way or another ! just go to a Pain clinic ! any place that takes cash payments only you can then ask for pretty much anything within reason! 250$ cash and a MRI that shows anything your good to go! additionally there are some places with adds in the city paper that will see you first visit for like 30$ ! then you can bring the empty almost empty script back to your PCP doc and he will discharge you or slap you on the wrist and refill your new script !

I have insurance that covers all my meds ! i think doctors here are by far more concerned with the DEA and prescribing with in the limits of FDA guide lines, according to diagnosis! It is not easy to find doctors that prescribe high dose narcotics, even if indicated. I just did another round of epidurals that helped my pain for aprox 3 days and came back with a increased severity. before i got on suboxone there was a dr that actually was helping me IR 30mg oxy 5x a day and IR 10mg 3x a day for breakthrough pain. however this doc retired wile i was trying out the suboxone. My PCP dr had alot of pain patients who did well on subs ! but for me it really did not help my pain. only decreased my pain about 10-15 % on a good day !

The situation in the UK is so very different from the US... Obviously we still have restrictions but nowhere near as sever as those imposed on US doctors. With our health service being publicly funded cost comes into play more often than is the case with a privately funded healthcare system.

I feel a lot a lot of sympathy for pain patients in the states who can't get the meds they need due to dea crackdowns on the scammers....its so unfair that those in genuine pain should have to suffer because of the actions of the few. While buprenorphineis sometimes prescribed for pain over here, its relatively uncommon, probably due to the fact that other more effective drugs can still be given relatively easily.

I thought ALL pain management doctors made ALL patients sign narcotics contracts, and/or 'pain contracts'...Am I wrong, and some do not require this?

I read alot about this here and on other forums, could you or anyone else explain to me what the purpose of these contracts are? We do not have any system like this here in Sweden. It isn't any better though, most doctors here will tell you to take an advil and suck it up (well, not in those exact terms but you get what I mean). You're in luck if you get any pain meds at all in this country, I guess that's why many people in pain here turn to alcohol (like my father).

We don't have them in the UK either (at least I've never heard of anyone having to sign one over here) but from what I understand they are commonplace in the US. I think they basically state that the patient won'tattempt to see more than one doctor for narcotics, won't try to get scripts refilled early, will submitted to drug testing, possibly submit to random pill counts etc. While the exact terms of the contract may differ from doctor to doctor, this is the general form that I believe they take.

Could someone who has to actually sign a pain contract explain EXACTLY what they contain as myself and probably most other non-amercain pain patients would be interested to see the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.