• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Constipation for suboxone worse than heroin?

downfallin

Bluelighter
I`m not even on suboxone or any opiate for that matter anymore, but I was just wondering if my experience was different from the usual, because the main reason that suboxone maintenance didn`t work for me, is I would get dangerously constipated where I wouldn`t shit for weeks and usually still couldn`t until around day 6 or 7 of being off the stuff. I had home enimas, magnesium citrate, and countless other laxatives around constantly and it never seemed to do much. I was always was shocked when people said they had no problems with it and were on it for years. Even with heroin, if I`d go into withdrawl after about an hour I`d start dropping it like it was hot. Just wondering.

What dose were you at. I would say no to your questions, mine is much worse when I am using heroin than with sub maintenance. I've never really maintained on more than 4 mg a day(2 mg bid), and at that it was mild constipation. At 2 mg a day I seem to be completely regular. But plenty of people are taking 8+ mg a day, I would imagine there is some issues there, since the level of bupe in you blood is constantly high.

Im sure this thread has been created but anyway..

All opiates are pretty much the same depending on dose and length of use.

starts with constipation then slowly moves to the other extreme.

IME suboxone and oxycodone were very similar in this regard.

Heroin was worse than both in the beginning but causes diarrhea more quickly with continued use.

Ive done it at many different doses and tolerance levels. ive used it to kick alot of times. At the worst I was using 16 mgs throughout the day and that was barely keeping me well. Ive also kicked where I only used 2mgs a day and weened down but no matter what the constipation was always too much, and looking back out probably saved me from getting dependant on it because I would have probably gone the maintenance route if not for that. But it had such a greater effect on constipation than other opiates it was weird because other opiates got me so much higher id have to have almost no tolerance to feel high from a sub dose.

Long acting opiates are always worse when it comes to constipation I think. At least with the shorter acting ones you usually have a chance to go the bathroom in the morning. I found methadone maintenance unbearable after not being able to shit for 14 days straight. Buprenorphine sucked for the first month or two.

Long acting opiates are always worse when it comes to constipation I think. At least with the shorter acting ones you usually have a chance to go the bathroom in the morning. I found methadone maintenance unbearable after not being able to shit for 14 days straight. Buprenorphine sucked for the first month or two.

Nailed it on the head. If plasma levels never lower, then peristalsis won't increase. For Drugs with shorter durations of action like hydrocodone, you'd probably be able to defecate in the morning even if using for recreation. Because by the morning you're likely close to baseline or lower, close to withdrawal. That'll stop constipation in it's tracks!

I agree, methadone is prob the worst. (In general-ime) If you're having trouble with bupe after the first two weeks its because the dose is far too high. Everyone will react a little differently tho..

I agree, methadone is prob the worst. (In general-ime) If you're having trouble with bupe after the first two weeks its because the dose is far too high. Everyone will react a little differently tho..

But we weren't specifically talking about methadone being the worse. There are longer half life methadone analogs not prescribed often, maybe they're worse? We really meant that constipation is more likely from long half life opioids than shorter ones.

But we weren't specifically talking about methadone being the worse. There are longer half life methadone analogs not prescribed often, maybe they're worse? We really meant that constipation is more likely from long half life opioids than shorter ones.

Ok, yea its impossible to say that methadone is the "worst"..

Im not gonna dig into this much further..you would have onset constipation to consider. I dont see why longer half life opioids would be more likely to cause constipation, just more likely to keep you constipated.

It was much worse with methadone for me, I was scripted sessonides 7,6mg x2 a day, lactulose 35ml a day, docusate sodium 100mg x2 and finally propylene glycol *some number* in pouches to make a yucky "grape" tasting juice. That one worked as all hell, you should think of asking for that if you go back on bupe.

Hey, today was the day I bit the bullet last year and did the maybe dumb thing to go to a 6 days inpatient MMT treatment start, been 2 months on suboxone now after 10 months and a half of methadone...I'm thinking of going back on methadone sometimes now that I have my testosterone and cortisol drugs to compensate for the bad effects it had on me....but nah,if I ever get my DOC again (Dilaudid/HM Contin), it'll be through a legit script...it shouldn't be too difficult when I meet my neurologist next month...I'll explain to him that his retarded Topamax and other dubious drugs he used on me for my facial nerve pain led me to take a turn to a really bad path. Somehow I wish I had just sucked it up, but my pain issues made me say fuck it, you'll have a painkiller everyday for free...

I happen to be one of the really lucky ones who gets almost zero constipation from any opiate, even heavy heroin usage. That's just always been how my body was (thankfully). But the little amount I did get was totally gone on suboxone. As long as you aren't on a ridiculous dose of bupe, the traditional side effects from opiates should all be significantly decreased when on it compared to full agonists.

It did the same to me. I will be fine if dont take another shot of epsom salt again in my life.

I happen to be one of the really lucky ones who gets almost zero constipation from any opiate, even heavy heroin usage. That's just always been how my body was (thankfully). But the little amount I did get was totally gone on suboxone. As long as you aren't on a ridiculous dose of bupe, the traditional side effects from opiates should all be significantly decreased when on it compared to full agonists.

My DOC (HM) and to a lesser degree Oxy, barely gave me any constipation, they mostly cured an irritable bowel syndrome for me. But methadone on the other hand....I've broken a toilet (it was already pretty broken when I moved here) and a couple times I had to use the plunger real bad when i was still on methadone. Suboxone makes me need only docusate and sessonides, sometimes nothing, I don't take those everyday anymore. And I did drink a lot of water and eat fibre.

[/QUOTE] Hey, today was the day I bit the bullet last year and did the maybe dumb thing to go to a 6 days inpatient MMT treatment start, been 2 months on suboxone now after 10 months and a half of methadone...I'm thinking of going back on methadone sometimes now that I have my testosterone and cortisol drugs to compensate for the bad effects it had on me....but nah,if I ever get my DOC again (Dilaudid/HM Contin), it'll be through a legit script...it shouldn't be too difficult when I meet my neurologist next month...I'll explain to him that his retarded Topamax and other dubious drugs he used on me for my facial nerve pain led me to take a turn to a really bad path. Somehow I wish I had just sucked it up, but my pain issues made me say fuck it, you'll have a painkiller everyday for free...[/QUOTE]

Keep on searchin' TRO...methadone is always a regret...

That is truly a lucky trait to have. I must say mine has gotten better. Regular magnesium supplements might be helping a bit, though I always have taken magnesium sups, even before I was heavy into opiates. When I did oxy, even when my dose was in the 3-4 30s a day range, I got awful constipation. I don't find the dope to be as bad at all. Its a crap shoot from day to day, pun intended, whether I am regular or it s a bunch of rock hard balls or I have no BM. But its enough I don't see it as an issue.

Now when I used poppy tea for a short period (less than 2 months), that was serious constipation.

My DOC (HM) and to a lesser degree Oxy, barely gave me any constipation, they mostly cured an irritable bowel syndrome for me. But methadone on the other hand....I've broken a toilet (it was already pretty broken when I moved here) and a couple times I had to use the plunger real bad when i was still on methadone. Suboxone makes me need only docusate and sessonides, sometimes nothing, I don't take those everyday anymore. And I did drink a lot of water and eat fibre.

Damn that long half life. It gives your body no down time to let the gut start churning again,

Subs did the same thing to me when I first got on them. It does seem to get better with time and diet change. drink lots of water and eat a little bit more fiber but not too much as that can make your shits way too big. Enemas are a god send if shit gets real backed up.

I've been on bupe for 8 years and constipation has never been a problem for me. I go once a day, maybe every other day, but I don't really eat a lot. Anybody know its affinity for binding to the opiate receptors in the gut btw?

If its a problem, there's always milk of magnesia or some type of industrial strength turbo-lax, I guess...

RTrain : I highly suggest Propylethylene Glycol 3350 juice for your case, especially when the impossibility of having a bowel movement arises...that thing is wonderful, docusate and sessonides only moisten your poop but this and (also lactulose, but I find it less efficacious) have those bowel start rumbling. GL

Ok, yea its impossible to say that methadone is the "worst"..

Im not gonna dig into this much further..you would have onset constipation to consider. I dont see why longer half life opioids would be more likely to cause constipation, just more likely to keep you constipated.

Well, yeah. I guess your description is accurate. It is equally capable of causing constipation at equivalent doses of other opioids. It's just that with long acting opioids, there is never a dip in your blood plasma levels when long half life opioids are dosed daily. Taking hydrocodone twice a day is not nearly as constipating since each dose has a half life 6 hours compared to 24+ with bupe and methadone from a single dose.

Same here 60mg of loperamide, if I take no other opioids, and I have→a→regular→schedule.

Anybody know its affinity for binding to the opiate receptors in the gut btw?

The consitpation is caused by binding to the mu receptors in the gut. There are equivalent mu receptors in your CNS (the pleasure part/analgesic part), I would hazard a guess that they are very similar, if not exactly the same in structure and binding affinities. Binding affinity of buprenorphine is 0.2157 nM, probably the exact same # as in your gut.

RTrain : I highly suggest Propylethylene Glycol 3350 juice for your case, especially when the impossibility of having a bowel movement arises...that thing is wonderful, docusate and sessonides only moisten your poop but this and (also lactulose, but I find it less efficacious) have those bowel start rumbling. GL

I think you mean Polyethylene Glycol ;)

I've got some PEG 400, what's the difference between that and 3350? More likely to help reduce constipation?

Last edited:
a good way to avoid constipation while on suboxone is to spit out the juice once its had its time to dissolve. dont swallow it. u dont gain hardly anything at all by swallowing it, and u avoid potential side effects this way. my first sub dr told me about this. leftover bupe can attach in the GI tract at the receptors down there and cause terrible constipation cant it?

ive noticed that even swallowing a portion of the juice accidentally seems to cause a bit of constipation.