• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Constipation for suboxone worse than heroin?

a good way to avoid constipation while on suboxone is to spit out the juice once its had its time to dissolve. dont swallow it. u dont gain hardly anything at all by swallowing it, and u avoid potential side effects this way. my first sub dr told me about this. leftover bupe can attach in the GI tract at the receptors down there and cause terrible constipation cant it?

ive noticed that even swallowing a portion of the juice accidentally seems to cause a bit of constipation.

Since it has like a 7% bioavailability orally, and most has been absorbed sublingually. So how much buprenorphine makes it to entero-absorption, I doubt is much. All conjecture though, could be wrong and doctor right.

a good way to avoid constipation while on suboxone is to spit out the juice once its had its time to dissolve. dont swallow it. u dont gain hardly anything at all by swallowing it, and u avoid potential side effects this way. my first sub dr told me about this. leftover bupe can attach in the GI tract at the receptors down there and cause terrible constipation cant it?

ive noticed that even swallowing a portion of the juice accidentally seems to cause a bit of constipation.

I have actually read the opposite, supposedly because you can potentially absorb more of the naloxone if swallowed. Just what I have read..but naloxone can help constipation.

fwiw..I spit my sub as well.

Google: Low-dose oral naloxone reverses opioid-induced constipation and analgesia

All the patients who received oral naloxone had some improvement in their bowel frequency.

For me Bupe was A LOT worse than heroin. A lot.
Heroin was one of the milder ones when talking GI side effects.

it would be ONLY if the person was ABLE to absorb the naloxone at all. perhaps thru an open ulcer?? idk... i also read that, and tested it myself. it didnt help me at all. quite the opposite. funny thing is, i even get more side effects if i swallow the medicine. it just must be the bupe doing it tho, cuz theoretically i may not be able to absorb any of the naloxone since it didnt help to swallow it... idk

heroin caused me much worse constipation... especially this last round. morphine tabs and tramadol tabs orally taken cause me awful constipation for some reason. hydro/oxy-codone dont do it to me. i only get the opposite if i w/d, but no constipation while using them.

one reason the heroin gets me, and maybe others, is while on a heroin binge most folks arent too worried about their diet. lack of fiber and stuff...

it would be ONLY if the person was ABLE to absorb the naloxone at all. perhaps thru an open ulcer?? idk... i also read that, and tested it myself. it didnt help me at all. quite the opposite. funny thing is, i even get more side effects if i swallow the medicine. it just must be the bupe doing it tho, cuz theoretically i may not be able to absorb any of the naloxone since it didnt help to swallow it... idk

heroin caused me much worse constipation... especially this last round. morphine tabs and tramadol tabs orally taken cause me awful constipation for some reason. hydro/oxy-codone dont do it to me. i only get the opposite if i w/d, but no constipation while using them.

one reason the heroin gets me, and maybe others, is while on a heroin binge most folks arent too worried about their diet. lack of fiber and stuff...

All the patients who received oral naloxone had some improvement in their bowel frequency.
I guess all the patients in that study must of had ulcers then..thanks slum ;).

it would be ONLY if the person was ABLE to absorb the naloxone

Seemingly all the patients were able to absorb the naloxone, which resulted in an improvement in their bowel frequency.

I hope you're doing well, with suboxone I am at 1mg/24hrs SL (optimal dose at this time)

Last edited:
Oh, yeah polyethylene glycol ;p The one doctors will script for massive constipation is 3350. It comes in a powder pouch like for kool-aid and has a grape flavour that barely hides the nastiness of it, but damn it works well, especially in conjunction with tagamet for some reason. I have no idea what the 3350 or other numbers mean.

So it seems like the general opinion is because long acting opiates don't give plasma levels a chance to go down then? That would make some sense but why it is so much stronger that enimas and magnesium citrate wouldnt touch it? Still trips me out. And I usually swallowed the extra juice from the sublingual strips but I noticed when I snorted the pills it wasnt as bad. Maybe because the GI track didnt touch most of it?

More fiber and a gallon of water a day at least, you shouldn't have too many problems...

The most thing about opiate abuse as with a lot of drugs is that, you can't be healthy with just drug usage and food alone...

People forget to re-hydrate themselves to the point where your intestines are bone dry. No wonder people can't shit right especially with the intestines tying in a knot...

You still need tons of water, even more so now... Even though it may be hard, throw some extra water in there... It won't hurt to have an extra glass even after you feel your thirst is completely quenched.

Keep your shit moist. Literally...

I never had any problems with this when I was on high dose oxycodone and even high dose heroin for 7 years or so. Then i went on Suboxone 8mgs a day and dam I never knew constipation was so horrible to live with it put me in the hospital twice for blockages even that cictro mag bowel cleanser solution did fuck all to get things moving the only thing that worked was lactulose, 30mgs bisacodyl, prune juice and tons of water(two gallons a day). Even the enema didn't work on me when it was bad enough and if I left it too long even the combo I stated above me wouldn't work I would run to the toilet only to let out a big fart haha. Well it wasn't funny I was in agony and my mom had to call the ambulance for me they said if left any longer I could've died.
The weird thing is now all opiates constipate me when I got off Suboxone and went back to heroin I noticed I actually had pretty terrible constipation from it when before going on sub's heroin/oxy never did this to me
It may have been because I was younger in my teens for most of my heroin using years that's all I can think of.
Today I take miralax every 36 hours and once or twice a week I take 4-5 senokot but I usually have a good bowel movement everyday these days. I couldn't take the stim laxatives daily because they cause too much tolerance and stomach pain the day after taking them due to my stomach conditions. When I first went on sub's I was eating crap too it a was all fast food, candy, chips, pop, energy drinks, hardly any water and I ate them all to the extreme since I loved junk food and I was finally able to buy it due to not spending hundreds a day on heroin anymore. Today i really watch what I eat its veggies and fruit with every meal, salads, 2 gallons of water a day,no coffee/caffeine, no candy, and fast food only once in a while now I feel so much better all around. The miralax works wonders though I still have to push to get the poop out but unlike stims it doesn't cause such dependance and tolerance and its easy on my sensitive tummy.

Buprenorphine was one of the worst for constipation for me of all the opiates I've tried. My first time doing it, I took 0.5mg, then 1mg a day later. For an entire week after those two low-ish doses, I was unable to take a shit, and had the most crippling pain when I tried - felt like I was trying to shit out the devil. :p

I've never noticed bad constipation with it since but it's one of those things that really varies depending on your diet and the amount of opiates/opioids you're using. I wouldn't say your experience is unusual though.

Yep your right Jesus alot of the time its all about your diet and activity levels when it comes to how bad drugs like buprenorphine will constipate the user. Itake 1mg daily now and the issues are not bad anymore I seem to be doing a lot better these days just by watching what I eat. I found 4mgs constipated me less than 1mg does weird eh? Do you think that could be the more central opioid effects when low doses are used?
Well whatever it is i sure feel better all around with the low dose and it is a hell of a lot easier on my body in terms of side effects when compared to 8mgs a day.

I never noticed any constipation or difficulty urinating on Suboxone.Maybe because it's only a partial agonist but my body functioned normally from 16mg all the way to zero.The only opiates that constipated me were heroin and morphine.Just about all full opiate agonists cause some degree of difficulty urinating.Heroin was the worst for this.to the point that I would often have to sit on the toilet and run the water in the sink.Even then I would sometimes even have to let the sink water run over one hand and if I still couldn't pee after 10 or 15 minutes I would say fuck it and try again later.Drinking alcohol along with my opiates helped immensely with urinary retention,especially if I was drinking beer,it goes right through me.For those experiencing constipation,I have found the best laxative to be a cigarette and cup of coffee first thing in the morning.Works everytime.

This works really well if you make it part of your line up.. also drink eight glasses of water a day when doing this.

Senokot S is a stool softener and laxative. If you do not want the laxative you can go for strait stool softenerDioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate.

Thanks (if that message was towards me?) But the stimulant laxatives daily cause too much tolerance issues with me and I have diverticulitis so the senokot causes quite a lot of of pain in my stomach the next day. I am good with the miralax and once a week I take 5 senokot at night to clear things out and I am doing great with this routine I go daily without too much grief. I found the stool softeners such as doucosate sodium or calcium doucosate didn't do much to help me poop and my doctor told me to keep taking miralax because it softens stool too just in a different way.

Im on bupe daily and never had a problem with that. Its ur diet. Eat a lot of fiber (lots of fruits and veggies)

Oh, yeah polyethylene glycol ;p The one doctors will script for massive constipation is 3350. It comes in a powder pouch like for kool-aid and has a grape flavour that barely hides the nastiness of it, but damn it works well, especially in conjunction with tagamet for some reason. I have no idea what the 3350 or other numbers mean.

Got me a 400 daltons worth of the stuff right next to me :)

he numbers that are often included in the names of PEGs indicate their average molecular weights (e.g. a PEG with n = 9 would have an average molecular weight of approximately 400 daltons, and would be labeled PEG 400.

Thanks (if that message was towards me?) But the stimulant laxatives daily cause too much tolerance issues with me and I have diverticulitis so the senokot causes quite a lot of of pain in my stomach the next day. I am good with the miralax and once a week I take 5 senokot at night to clear things out and I am doing great with this routine I go daily without too much grief. I found the stool softeners such as doucosate sodium or calcium doucosate didn't do much to help me poop and my doctor told me to keep taking miralax because it softens stool too just in a different way.

Apparently the polyetyhlene glycol he mentioned is the miralax. Wonder if buying pure PEG 3350 in liquid form and drinking it would work better?

U dont need laxative or stool softeners just eat a handful of cherries - that ALWAYS does the trick! Ha.
I don't recall cherries ever doing anything. Maybe I just don't pay attention to that shit? ;)

Well anything that is already really soft and mushy as food will help your poo be soft and mushy too... sorry to be gross lol

That's an over simplification. I suppose you've never eaten ground up rubber? ;) I'm fairly sure the opposite is better for intestinal transit - that is things HIGH in fiber. Ruffage, bread, grains, other healthier stuff.

Yep miralax is polythene glycol 3350 I know that I was just saying it works well for me too.
And everybody is different some don't get any constipation from bupe whereas others say hands down it is the WORST opioid for inducing constipation they have ever taken. Me I don't think its any worse than heroin/morphine in terms of constipation but even 1mg a day slows things down a bit for me and when I took 8mgs it didn't matter what I ate it would be stuck in my intestinal tract for what seemed like forever I tried eating bits of fibre here and there but then it made it worse because it turned into one massive turd I had to push out. what you eat does play a huge role in how regular you are and I did start eating like a 90 year old man with stomach cancer after the first bowel blockage I had removed. Now I eat salad everyday, carrots,celery, plums,peaches, cherries, cereal with fibre in the mornings or oatmeal, protein like chicken breast and then I always drink tons of water about 2 gallons a day.

I don't have many problems at all in terms of constipation now but my stomach will always be fucked from my condition so I'm still in pain but the eating healthy helps keep the pain at bay too so I enjoy eating healthy it makes me feel much better. Cherries do help stimulate the intestinal tract and soften poo but they usually dont work by themselves for people with bad constipation but if they do then go ahead and use them its a healthy alternative to laxatives. I also eat prunes if things get bad (prunes have sorbitol in them a very effective laxative. I'll eat about 10 prunes right when I wake up at 630am then by 9 or so I usually explode the only thing is that it leaves me really gassy the whole day after eating the prunes so not good to be around other people haha.

I still take the polythene glycol every second day or so just to keep things moist because even with diet change its not always enough when your taking medication daily. When I first went on sub's at 8mgs a day I had to take 10 of the 5mg bisacodal each night along with 30mls of lactulose in the morning and at night daily then eventually the stims jist stopped working which is when I ended up with a bowel blockage. I'm sure if I ate healthier as soon as i started suboxone things wouldnt have gotten as bad as they did though so to anybody going on sub's/methadone please don't take stims daily to poop try changing your diet first because the stimulant laxatives are terrible in terms of tolerance and how hard they can be on the stomach.

All I know is when your stomach isn't happy your whole well being is affected. You know your digestive system has more receptors for anxiety and depression than your brain does. Some say our digestive system and our Central nervous system should be considered one system due to how in sync they are. Hence the term "butterflies in my stomach" now has a scientific meaning.

I got a good routine going now each morning I wake up go to the bathroom and chug 2 glasses of water to fill up my stomach and signal my bowels to start moving and it works in seconds. This along with healthy eating, exercise and miralax every other day helps keep me regular. Just a second ago I had a good bowel movement and i am thankful for everyday that I can poop at ease after what constipation put me through in the past. Everyone has to indulge in their favourite food once in a while so if I do I'll usually take some senokot to help things along.

Last edited: