• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Acupuncture

I haven't gone since last year and i guess it's about time i go again. Are you going for another appointment? The acupuncturist i go to also performs acupressure so i always feel super relaxed after each session. How was the experience for you?

I am skeptic,is there any science explanation why this isnt just placebo,I mean my head is open for new wisdom,but I just cant imagine anything how sticking needle inside your muscle can have impact on some undetectable theoretical energy of unknown properties

I am skeptic,is there any science explanation why this isnt just placebo,I mean my head is open for new wisdom,but I just cant imagine anything how sticking needle inside your muscle can have impact on some undetectable theoretical energy of unknown properties

Yeah it's mainly bullshit. There are some semi-legitimate uses for the treatment, mainly in the area of pain management - probably due to the a stimulation of endorphins - but it's still all very vague, even when you do strip it of the qi and meridian woo-woo nonsense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acupuncture#Effectiveness

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acupuncture#Scientific_view_on_TCM_theory

The placebo effect can be pretty cool though, you can come off the table feeling pretty light headed - I tend to think of it like a meditation, you're so focussed on and aware of your body that you can slip into a meditative state. I wouldn't want to pay much for that effect though, I used to go to a community clinic where they did relatively cheap treatments for low-income people. A lot of practitioners are complete new-age shysters though, fleecing vulnerable people with overpriced treatments that really don't achieve much.

^ It means that qi accumulates to greater amounts in the extremities, so when points there are needled it has a greater affect on the body. The points with the most important functions are mainly on the hands and feet.

Turning to Wikipedia for info on acupuncture is unfortunate, but I guess some people will look for affirmation of their beliefs anywhere they can.

Wish I could give you a session so you could see what the real deal feels like. There are a lot of bad acupuncturists out there who don't know how to tap the meridians properly. American acupuncture is the worst. A licensed acupuncturist on the west coast tried to needle me recently and not a single needle did anything. He was too busy following the anatomical model to really try to fish for anything.

Most of the "scientific" studies done on acupuncture did not involve actual acupuncturists, but instead scientists uselessly trying to tap points they know nothing about, with no real needling technique. It took me 3 years of intro study and 2 years of supervised practice before I could tap a meridian properly, and my technique is way better now than it was back then.

Eastern medicine uses the energetic model of the physical body and health. Trying to talk about it with a western scientist is like trying to convert mac to windows. Pointless.

Turning to Wikipedia for info on acupuncture is unfortunate, but I guess some people will look for affirmation of their beliefs anywhere they can.

Wikipedia is actually an excellent source for determining the dynamics of contentious issues - there is always extensive discussion between opposing camps which usually results in very thorough and meticulous picture of the controversy.

Eastern medicine uses the energetic model of the physical body and health. Trying to talk about it with a western scientist is like trying to convert mac to windows.

How do you measure this "energy"?

Eastern medicine also uses tiger penis to treat impotency too - among other fantastical notions. There's lot's about TCM that can be demonstrated as being efficacious and a lot that is complete woo.

Last edited:
I knew bit_pattern was a pseudo intellectual and pseudo scientist based on his work in the other thread. His posts here completely confirm it.

Foreigner, you are the best poster on this forum and your posts here are fabulous. Keep on keeping on.

It has been proven to have beneficial effects in the treatment of certain problems (mainly pain management, but also other diverse uses i.e. while inducing labor). German insurance companies, who are rather strict with what they cover (almost always EBM), do cover acupuncture in a few limited areas (headaches are not included for instance). Through scientific testing and analysis it has been shown that hitting certain points from the TCM method (not nearly all ~400) cause relatively predictable physiological results. Anyhow, I figure if you stab a nerve with a small needle some effect will probably occur. There are also contraindications and unwanted side effects.

The hands and feet have evolved to have many highly sensitive nerve endings/receptors responsible for all of the sensations involved with touch. I am sure if you would put a needle into someones lip you may have a similarly strong reaction due to the density of receptors there as well. However, the lips are also more sensitive to pain, so the reaction would probably be less therapeutic. Not a fan of the use of 'action potential' in that manner either lol.

Sad you feel this way.

I like these kinds of justifications:

There are a lot of bad acupuncturists out there who don't know how to tap the meridians properly. American acupuncture is the worst.

Most of the "scientific" studies done on acupuncture did not involve actual acupuncturists

Classic 'No True Scotsman' fallacy

I knew bit_pattern was a pseudo intellectual and pseudo scientist based on his work in the other thread. His posts here completely confirm it

Lol =D