• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Acupuncture

I just got back from one of my Acupuncture sessions. All I can say is that I feel normal and I haven't felt this way for a long time. I think the Acupuncture is really working for me. I will continue for 2-3 months and hopefully my symptom subside.

Great to hear Maya! I'm actually seriously considering acupuncture treatment now. There is a place locally that does it but it is like $60 a session :X.. They also do electro-acupuncture which I'm willing to give a try. I hate that it's kind of expensive & insurance won't cover, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Hopefully this can be one of the things to treat my constant headaches & head pains. :)

I personally don't recommend electro. Putting electricity into one's meridians can lead to unhealthy consequences. I've seen it many times, due to unskilled practitioners.

IMO traditional needling is better. Acupuncture is not meant to be like a TENS machine.

I haven't tried yet the acupuncture treatment, but when the time comes that I will be needing it I would definitely try it out. I've heard so many good reviews about acupuncture so there's no reason for me to say no to it.

Acupuncture works for me. Don't know how but cured my hay fever & other things & just makes me feel good.

Acupuncture works for me. Don't know how but cured my hay fever & other things & just makes me feel good.

Nice! Can't wait to give it a try. I'm going tomorrow after work. Unfortunately for a first visit it's going to cost me $80. That's quite a lot of money, but I'm very willing to give this a try for my head pressure. If I don't react well to it, I just won't go back. I'm going to do the regular acupuncture as Foreigner suggested. I'm pretty excited. Hopefully it'll be worth the money.

So I went to acupuncture today for the first time. Pretty cool & interesting experience overall. I will see how it benefits me throughout the week.

First thing that happened was the doctor checked the pulse in both my arms with his fingers. He took his time in doing so. After he did it, he basically said, "Okay before you tell me what is wrong with you, let me tell you what I think is wrong with you." I was like, oh shit alright man, let me hear it. He listed 4 symptoms which were spot on to what I was feeling: pain, stress, trouble sleeping, and unfortunately I can't remember the 4th one. My eyes opened wide up when he listed those because I wasn't expecting that. This guy has had 30 years experience in the field. Sure, that's a pretty broad diagnosis, but for just checking the pulse in my arm, that's pretty darn accurate.

I let him know I was suffering from head pressure and headaches from a bad drug experience (too much ecstasy in one weekend) which happened 4 months ago, and that his diagnosis was very accurate to everything that was going on with me.

So he had me lay down and he stuck a bunch of needles in me. I didn't keep count, as I was a little nervous and didn't wanna whine like a bitch. He put one in each of my feet, several on my arms, a good amount in and around my head & ears, and some on my hands. The only ones that kind of made me flinch were the ones on my feet.

I stayed like that for about 30 minutes. What it felt like during that time: My head felt like a balloon ready to burst. It was pretty weird. I remained very still and closed my eyes the entire time. I almost drifted off into sleep about 4-5 times, and I jolted instantly as soon as I felt myself drifting off. I was not going to allow myself to sleep with needles in me. No way lol. So I ended up jolting like 5 times. I just basically tried to keep my mind clear and stay very still for those 30 minutes.

The doctor came back in, took the needles out, had me sit down, and rough-massaged my neck area & head, & twisted my neck around a bit. He also rough massaged my shoulders. After the appointment, I felt very calm and relaxed & slightly euphoric. I remember feeling differently when I walked out than before, but in a positive way. I went to the gym afterwards, and had pretty good mental clarity on the drive back home. Head pressure was not very noticeable at all.

Most likely, my head tension is not going to be cured after this one session, but I feel like it helped, and we will see how I feel tomorrow & the next day. It is very probable that I'm going to seek a second treatment next week. I really enjoyed the experience & I have faith in its mechanism of action. I also trust the doctor a lot. Wish me luck guys!

Last edited:
That's great news Ggarza921! Good luck on your second treatment and let me us know how it goes after and if he will offer some advice on any type of herbs you should take while on recovery.

Interesting to hear your reaction to your first session. Sounds very familiar & if you can tune into it, as it seems you have, you may be a good candidate for this treatment. Not everyone responds - I did but I had no response to homeopathy which I had tried previously. Await your next post with interest.

Interesting to hear your reaction to your first session. Sounds very familiar & if you can tune into it, as it seems you have, you may be a good candidate for this treatment. Not everyone responds - I did but I had no response to homeopathy which I had tried previously. Await your next post with interest.

Yes. First treatment was very interesting for me. The following days after my first treatment, I felt the head pressure move to the back of my head. It was no longer super concentrated in my temples. It also diminished a bit in severity. This was very nice.

I got my second treatment today, and I let the acupuncturist know that the head pressure was now concentrated in the back of my head. So, he let me lay down on my stomach and treated me again. I would like to say he stuck around 10+ needles in the back of my head and towards the top a bit. He also stuck a couple in my arms. This time, I was very very relaxed. I did not feel like my head was going to explode this time. I was very mellowed out, and I only felt a sharp pain once for about 30 seconds-1minute where one of the needles was in my arm. My head felt cool and relaxed, like weights were being lifted off.

After the needles were taken out, I felt that sense of calm and cool similar to my first experience but better this time around. This acupuncture treatment is a little expensive for me at the moment, so I'm going to cut it a break, and see how I fare these next couple of weeks.

It's nice to see there's a thread on this. I went to my first acupuncture session yesterday because the past 4 years of my life have been nothing but total dependency on opiates, be it heroin or suboxone. I've never been able to go more than a week completely sober and as a result I've been in perpetual limbo, with everything on hold because of this addiction. Treatments like Suboxone or Methadone seem to me nothing but a state-sponsored addiction which keeps you from OD'ing, but it does nothing for cravings and every time I would get off it I had only one thing on my mind.

I read that acupuncture can help not only the W/D symptoms but also cravings. So yesterday I went to this session with a doctor who does this professionally, though has little experience in the opiate-detox field specifically. She said she wanted to give me the regular procedure, which involved a needle in both hands, one in my right foot and one above my left eye-brow, in addition to a few in my right ear. I can't say that I felt anything, though I do feel a bit more relaxed since then. Last night was my 4th sleepless night in a row, however, so I guess it takes a little time for the full effect to be felt?

She told me that the program I had in mind is a long-term one, but because I have to pay for this out of my own pocket I can only start with a five-day program. If I notice some great results I will look into a long-term incorporation of this into my effort to stay clean.

The physical W/D is almost gone, but I'm doing this to kill my cravings and rewire my body and brain to experience normal production of endorphins. It's the lack of any joy or motivation compared with my huge hunger and enjoyment of opiates that makes it impossible to stay clean. I guess I'll see how it goes.:)

Acupuncture worked really well for me. My liver was shot after prolonged drug use (I was severely underweight and jaundiced), and I also didn't get my period for a year. I did a combination of local herbs ground into medicine and acupuncture. Within a couple of months, I was well on my way to normal.

My acupuncturist used electro on me. It was a peculiar feeling, but I got the best effects after. She gave me a bunch of medicines I didn't understand (she was from Beijing and couldn't really speak that good English). After every session, I felt very energetic and positive.

I have just finished my 4th acupuncture appointment and I'm so happy to say that my head pressure has diminished. I've never felt so relaxed and relieved for a very long time and I'm overjoyed that I've decided to go with these acupuncture treatments and felt great results. I highly recommend this to anyone who us experiencing anxiety and to those who wants to try an alternative treatment without the use of ssri or other drugs.

I have been thinking about acupuncture for a while now, and after reading this thread I decided to give it a go. My piriformis (I think) has been pretty messed up for the last year, and I have had constant sinus pressure/allergies for about 4 years now. I'm hoping it will help :)

I have been thinking about acupuncture for a while now, and after reading this thread I decided to give it a go. My piriformis (I think) has been pretty messed up for the last year, and I have had constant sinus pressure/allergies for about 4 years now. I'm hoping it will help :)
goodluck freehugs. Let us know how it works out for you.

The Acupuncturist should have a clothing that he would tell you to wear during the treatment. It really depends what body is getting treated sometimes you don't need to take your clothes off. If it's the back area then you might have to wear the clothing.

The most powerful points are in the feet and hands because that is where the highest action potential resides; but sometimes direct organ work is needed so I do needling on the back or the front of the torso.

Unless I'm treating an injury or something like back pain, most of my needling is done on the hands and legs so no change of clothes is required.

Acupuncture has been an interesting form of medical treatment for me. I have read some information about how Acupuncture has bettered certain medical conditions such as Arthritis, headaches muscle cramps and so on. It is a procedure that involves penetration of the skin with needles to stimulate and correct the imbalance flow of our qi (life energy) through meridians (channel paths). However, the effectiveness of this Acupuncture is debatable whether it really helps alleviate the symptoms or it is just a "Placebo Effect."

Three of my colleagues have suggested to me to try Acupuncture for my current head tension/pressure. I may say that I am a very skeptical person when it comes to undergoing any type of medical treatments without researching documented evidences proving that it is an effective type of treatment. One of my colleagues informed me that her bladder infection did not come back after she went through Acupuncture treatments three times. Is this just some type of Placebo Effect or is this going to be worth it? I would like to know anyone who has tried and was successful with this type of treatment.

I have tried acupuncture today and I believe it releases endogenous endorphins.

The most powerful points are in the feet and hands because that is where the highest action potential resides; but sometimes direct organ work is needed so I do needling on the back or the front of the torso.

Unless I'm treating an injury or something like back pain, most of my needling is done on the hands and legs so no change of clothes is required.

I believe it has to do with the concentration of nerve endings, which themselves trigger the release of endogenous endorphins.