• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS Your Favorite Quotes; Vs "I Have a Dream"

Wow, love everyone's quotes today--even when you think you "know" something you really are only putting a toe in the water. It's good to have these reminders of what I think I "know" from other people. Helps me dive back in and keep swimming.=D

here's a great one from Timothy Leary:

"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind."

We live in a youth-worshipping culture but like most everything else in the culture of consumerism it only runs skin deep; we have a lot of people walking around stuck in their own mental polemics/rigid thinking that may be in young bodies but seem to have skipped the free youthfulness of the mind altogether.

^^^
Odd I read that on my web wanderings only yesterday, I have a copy of the Politics of Ecstasy somewhere, maybe I should dig it out.

“Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery.
None but ourselves can free our minds.”

― Bob Marley

“There is a saying in Tibetan, 'Tragedy should be utilized as a source of strength.'
No matter what sort of difficulties, how painful experience is, if we lose our hope, that's our real disaster.”
― Dalai Lama XIV

“True strength is keeping everything together when everyone expects you to fall apart.” - Anonymous

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. –Chinese Proverb

people think love is an emotion, love is good sense. - kesey

compassion is the basis of morality - schopenhauer

" If I die racing, don't cry. Because I was smiling :) "
RIP Paul Walker

EDIT: oops got it wrong it's:
"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker

“We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking.”

― Santosh Kalwar

"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."
Ernest Hemingway

As long as I'm learning something, I figure I'm OK - it's a decent day.
HST

I sometimes think that people's hearts are like deep wells. Nobody knows what's at the bottom. All you can do is guess from what comes floating to the surface every once in a while. – Haruki Murakami

^ Murakami is a brilliant writer. I actually finally finished a book of his that I've been reading for god knows how long. And the following quote stuck with me from that book, which is "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle".

"Everybody's born with some different thing at the core of their existence. And that thing, whatever it is, becomes like a heat source that runs each person from the inside. I have one too, of course. Like everybody else. But sometimes it gets out of hand. It swells or shrinks inside me, and it shakes me up. What I'd really like to do is find a way to communicate that feeling to another person. But I can't seem to do it. They just don't get it. Of course, the problem could be that I'm not explaining it very well, but I think it's because they're not listening very well. They pretend to be listening, but they're not, really. So I get worked up sometimes, and I do some crazy things.”

“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Charles Darwin