TDS Your Favorite Quotes; Vs "I Have a Dream"

“Screw pretty. I'd rather be strong. Pretty fades over time. Strength gets you through the bad shit.”
― Thea Harrison, Oracle's Moon

I've actually been looking through quotes by Buckminster Fuller (intuitive genius - among the more interesting individuals not as famous as he should be), and Bertrand Russell, also another individual with superb with and intelligence, and quite the sense of humor. His quote (Russell's) is the following.

Why in any case, this glorification of man? How about lions and tigers? They destroy fewer animals or human lives than we do, and they are much more beautiful than we are. How about ants? They manage the Corporate State much better than any Fascist. Would not a world of nightingales and larks and deer be better than our human world of cruelty and injustice and war? The believers in Cosmic Purpose make much of our supposed intelligence, but their writings make one doubt it. If I were granted omnipotence, and millions of years to experiment in, I should not think Man much to boast of as the final result of all my efforts.

Bertrand Russell is an amazing read, for philosophy (unless you love math).

Buckminster Fuller's only dream was that he could contribute to make the world a better place. Many of his assumptions about the near future were overly optimistic, but rang true
"But we're dealing with something much bigger than we're accustomed to understanding, we're on a very large course indeed. You speak of racism, for example, and I tell you that there's no such thing as race. The point is that racism is the product of tribalism and ignorance and both are falling victim to communications and world-around literacy."

I think he discounted the fact that bigots and morons have equal access to communications, and literacy is not a cure for a man who insists that you haven't seen the biggest asshole yet until he's through! ;)

I have grown to love John Muir's writing (Scottish Naturalist who had transcendental experiences in the national parks of the United States).
His father beat Christianity out of him, or at least any semblance of traditional orthodoxy (made him memorize the new testament, and beat him for errors - obviously memorization of a topic does not imply comprehension - for his father anyway)

This quote is very similar to the ideal of Russell, although Russell was a prominent atheist (or a pretty damn sure agnostic), Muir was kind of a pantheist in a way:

Why should man value himself as more than a small part of the one great unit of creation? And what creature of all that the Lord has taken the pains to make is not essential to the completeness of that unit — the cosmos? The universe would be incomplete without man; but it would also be incomplete without the smallest transmicroscopic creature that dwells beyond our conceitful eyes and knowledge. From the dust of the earth, from the common elementary fund, the Creator has made Homo sapiens. From the same material he has made every other creature, however noxious and insignificant to us. They are earth-born companions and our fellow mortals. ... This star, our own good earth, made many a successful journey around the heavens ere man was made, and whole kingdoms of creatures enjoyed existence and returned to dust ere man appeared to claim them. After human beings have also played their part in Creation's plan, they too may disappear without any general burning or extraordinary commotion whatever.

I particularly liked this one:

On no subject are our ideas more warped and pitiable than on death. ... Let children walk with nature, let them see the beautiful blendings and communions of death and life, their joyous inseparable unity, as taught in woods and meadows, plains and mountains and streams of our blessed star, and they will learn that death is stingless indeed, and as beautiful as life, and that the grave has no victory, for it never fights. All is divine harmony.

My real favorite "quote" is a well known couplet from Alexander Pope's Poem an Essay on Criticism.

A little Learning is a dang'rous Thing;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian Spring:
There shallow Draughts intoxicate the Brain,
And drinking largely sobers us again.

Words are like Leaves; and where they most abound,
Much Fruit of Sense beneath is rarely found.

Two great ones. Most amazingly is the length and his grasp of verse and history.... he wrote it at age 21. I disagree that imitation of the ancients is the "most fine form of art," he certainly agreed, hence the classical meter (Iambic pentameter, in heroic couplets), though I might agree if I spoke and read ancient greek when I was a kid.

"Everyone has a talent; what is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads."

--Erica Jong

The older we get the less we care about what others think about us but the more we care about what we think about them

Bob Hoskins RIP

"It is worth a tear, It is worth an hour.
To think of things that are well outworn.
Oh fruitless husk and fugitive flower.
The dream foregone, the deed foreborne."
Unknown
I read this quoted in a novel but cannot remember who it's attributed to. It's stuck in my head because it seems to resonate with my life. Does anyone know the author?

Sweet food of sweetly uttered knowledge.

Philip Sidney

The folly of mistaking a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a
spring of capital truths, and oneself as an oracle, is inborn in us, Mr. Valery once
said.
Paul Valéry - This is a bit of an edited version from F451 by Bradbury, the actual one is

NSFW:

The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us

Both should be viewed in the light of life, reading and psychedelics.

"It is worth a tear, It is worth an hour.
To think of things that are well outworn.
Oh fruitless husk and fugitive flower.
The dream foregone, the deed foreborne."
Unknown
I read this quoted in a novel but cannot remember who it's attributed to. It's stuck in my head because it seems to resonate with my life. Does anyone know the author?

I looked it up--it's a really long poem!-and the author is Algernon Charles Swinburne. The title is the Triumph of Time.

"What we see as death, empty space, or nothingness is only the trough between the crests of this endlessly waving ocean. It is all part of the illusion that there should seem to be something to be gained in the future, and that there is an urgent necessity to go on and on until we get it. Yet just as there is no time but the present, and no one except the all-and-everything, there is never anything to be gained—though the zest of the game is to pretend that there is."
- The one and only Alan Watts

“A winner is not someone who wins. It's someone who tries and isn't afraid to lose.”
― Nusrat Sultana

“So, friends, every day do something that won't compute...Give your approval to all you cannot understand...Ask the questions that have no answers. Put your faith in two inches of humus that will build under the trees every thousand years...Laugh. Be joyful though you have considered all the facts....Practice resurrection.”

“I dislike the thought that some animal has been made miserable to feed me. If I am going to eat meat, I want it to be from an animal that has lived a pleasant, uncrowded life outdoors, on bountiful pasture, with good water nearby and trees for shade.”

“Perhaps all the good that ever has come here has come because people prayed it into the world.”

-Wendell Berry

"Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you."

Walt Whitman

Last edited:
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you."

Walt Whitman

I like that one quite a bit.

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking,

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.

Sea Fever
BY JOHN MASEFIELD

There is no such thing as nothing. Because we have a word for it and that's something.

I know what happens. Before you are borned (sic) you are in god's hand. Then you are borned and you stay with your family for a while. When you die, you go back in god's hand like a star.

Caleb Thomas Bauldry McGeorge, age 3

Happy would-have-been 23rd birthday to my philosopher son. May everything be as you thought it would be and an infinity more.<3

Really good to see you day, I hope you are better than fine!

Thanks brother, glad to be back among good company......

And yes, things have gotten alot better since I've gotten clean, and been so for a few months now.

Thanks for your words of encouragement now and before, it helped more than you could know. :)

“Ten times a day something happens to me like this - some strengthening throb of amazement - some good sweet empathic ping and swell. This is the first, the wildest and the wisest thing I know: that the soul exists and is built entirely out of attentiveness.”
― Mary Oliver

“As we advance in life it becomes more and more difficult, but in fighting the difficulties the inmost strength of the heart is developed.”
― Vincent van Gogh