• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Who is your favorite drug addict(s) and/or user(s) of all time?

John Lilly
Alexanderer and Ann Shulgin (What a wonderful life..Doing what you truely love, with someone you truely love - what you love to do is so unusual and interesting that everyone tries to stop it(and we can see how effective they can be.. moronic mind controlling brain pollice and now we are getting all kinds of shit including tryptamines and phenethylamines that he had nothing to do wi) Good to see that he seems to be recoverring okay from his stroke the last I checked Hope nothing bad has happened, its been a while sice I checked. If all is going well, would be nice to see or whatever old people who both like psychedelics and empathogen do when they want to have a good time. I can't get used to thinking about old people getting laid. It's not right, but it grosses me out I got really off topic here. They are a great couple and I can't immagine them doing anything I would find disgusting or gross unless it was intended to be taken that way.

opi8 said:
On the topic of Will Burroughs, it's true that he was in hindsight, an important writer of that generation. The problem I see is that he was one of the first people to tell shit how it fucking is. Not a huge talent, but maybe he had big balls to go against the norm. I'm no expert, so tell me if I'm wrong, but it's the same thing with Hunter Thompson, who Bill was friends with/a big artistic influence on. People telling shit how it is, in my opinion, doesn't make a "unique, gifted and brilliant writer".

Why do you think he's not a huge talent? Have you read a good deal of his writings? I think for people unfamiliar with Burroughs there is a tendency to overplay the content of his works (particularly his drug use and homosexuality) as opposed to his writing style. With literary critics or other writers it's usually a very different case...they'll often focus on his contributions to post-modernism, avant-garde/experimental literature, the cut-up method, etc.

Even when content is discussed there's so much more to Burroughs than merely "telling shit how it is"....he's written very extensively (and in an extremely subtle/nuanced fashion) on topics as diverse as linguistics, occultism/"new religious studies", anthropology, literary criticism, his extensive musings on historical firearms, sexuality/gender, sociology, advancements in science and technology....hell, there's not really much that Burroughs didn't cover. When he goes off extensively ruminating about Alfred Korzybski and General Semantics, the Popol Vuh, or the biochemistry of virus adaptability and host resistance...I really don't think that's just him "telling shit how it is". That seems to deny him of the intricacy, intelligence, and unbound creativity that he often displayed. I love Hunter Thompson very much (and there are definitely a lot of similarities between the two), but Burroughs had a much longer and more impressive career as a writer. I'm not sure how familiar you are with his writings, but I've always found him to be *extremely* impressive both as far as content and prose stylings were concerned.

Edwin-Moses-9.jpg

win streak of 9 years 9 months 9 days in the 400m hurdles

he did not take performance enhancing drugs rather Edwin favors marijuana

dude is a physicist and engineer to boot.

the shulgins because of their bravery in altering their minds for better or worse they did when alex was still alive take shots in the dark to not just find out for themselves but for others what these chems can do
and my dad of course he is superman to me no one could ever be a better man IMHO

Viṣakaṇṭha;11813243 said:
Why do you think he's not a huge talent? Have you read a good deal of his writings? I think for people unfamiliar with Burroughs there is a tendency to overplay the content of his works (particularly his drug use and homosexuality) as opposed to his writing style. With literary critics or other writers it's usually a very different case...they'll often focus on his contributions to post-modernism, avant-garde/experimental literature, the cut-up method, etc.

Even when content is discussed there's so much more to Burroughs than merely "telling shit how it is"....he's written very extensively (and in an extremely subtle/nuanced fashion) on topics as diverse as linguistics, occultism/"new religious studies", anthropology, literary criticism, his extensive musings on historical firearms, sexuality/gender, sociology, advancements in science and technology....hell, there's not really much that Burroughs didn't cover. When he goes off extensively ruminating about Alfred Korzybski and General Semantics, the Popol Vuh, or the biochemistry of virus adaptability and host resistance...I really don't think that's just him "telling shit how it is". That seems to deny him of the intricacy, intelligence, and unbound creativity that he often displayed. I love Hunter Thompson very much (and there are definitely a lot of similarities between the two), but Burroughs had a much longer and more impressive career as a writer. I'm not sure how familiar you are with his writings, but I've always found him to be *extremely* impressive both as far as content and prose stylings were concerned.

I did say that I wasn't an expert. I've read Junky and Naked Lunch, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I also recently watched On The Road (...I think of Dean Moriarty). I loved Hunter's Hell's Angels book and of course have read and watched Fear and Loathing. Like I said, I'm no expert, but I'll gladly accept your critique of Will's writing. I was only judging him based on my limited knowledge, however I still think he is important, as is Huxley, Orwell and I guess Shakespeare etc.

Jimmy page, lou reed, lane staley, kurt cobain, hendrix, jim morrison, srv, man i could probably name a bunch more, but lou reed and jimmy page are the tops. Throw that in the face of anyone that says junkies are worthless and only contribute to crime.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge, poet and opium addict. Sid Vicious. Robert Downey Jr. Philip Seymour Hoffman

Baudelaire-poet and dirty sensualist..... Jobs-creator and visionary hippy.......... Lennon-musician, activist and idealist hippy

I really liked Nirvana during this period of the 90's but out of all the pseudo grunge addicts that are being thrown around on here I would have to say I like Wieland the best. His music tended to be less negative and dark. He also seemed to be more of an extravert and charismatically accessible. Some of the others appeal seemed to come from there artistic angst and aloofness.

Oh yeah.... I also love Huxley..

I don't find Burroughs prose to be that impressive. I believe that its quality is grossly exaggerated due to romanticizing its content.

Last edited:
Sid Vicious
Layne Staley
Kurt Cobain
Hunter S. Thompson
Stephen King
Jim Morrison
Jimi Hendrix
Shulgin
Albert Hoffman

*Bold = My personal favorites.

images

Heath when he played the Joker. His drug use & emotional instability at the time made for a genius villain on film. But ultimately lead to a horrible, horrible tragedy

<3

Sid Vicious
Layne Staley
Kurt Cobain
Hunter S. Thompson
Stephen King
Jim Morrison
Jimi Hendrix
Shulgin
Albert Hoffman

*Bold = My personal favorites.
How could I forget Stephen King? My all time favorite author, legendary addict. I read his biography, he'd sniff yay 'til his nose bled, drink liquor by the bottle and take Xanax/valiums by the handful. Then the motherfucker gets clean, gets hit by a fucking car and declines all painkillers! Fuckin trooper, love that guy.

Layne Stanley, fuck another I missed. I got to catch AiC in concert right after he died... :-( still a great show, and they hadn't replaced him, but still....

Gregory David Roberts: wrote Shantaram the most incredible true story I've ever read, that guy has lived the most insane life, and there's a sequel coming out soon, too... Slight Spoiler: He's a Heroin addict in Aus, breaks out of prison and sneaks into India to live in the slums and in the process relapse, fall in love, gets taken in by the leader of the Bombai Mafia, runs guns and horses over the border.....