European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Britlofex (Lofexadine)

F.U.B.A.R.

Bluelight Crew
Had an appointment with my key worker yesterday, and she brought up Britlofex as a possible alternative to methadone. I remember this being trialed in the 90's, but haven't heard of it since so just presumed it didn't work. But she's sent me some info and after googling it, it appears that it might actually be effective. It seems to reduce levels of noradrenaline in the brain which is responsible for that horrible feeling of anxiety and being 'on edge' that you suffer whilst rattling. It occurred to me that this, in combination with loperimide (to alleviate the stomach cramps) and possibly a benzo thrown in for good measure might actually be an effective treatment regimen. Anybody have experience of lofexidine in particular, or in combination? I'm getting sick of constantly being on methadone and can't really see any light at the end of the tunnel yet.

yEAH I HAVE

Didn'tget on with it & can't see it working for a methadone alternative . It's more useful for a straight gear detox . You start on 2 then 4,6,8,10.12 pills n then back down again .

Horrible side effects as well .

I really can't see it being a methadone alternative at all mate . I wouldn't even bother trying tbh . Subs are suitable for maintenance as you know n would be far more effective.

Also it makes your blood pressure go through the roof , i fainted after having ashower & was very lucky not to be seriously injured.

yEAH I HAVE

Didn'tget on with it & can't see it working for a methadone alternative . It's more useful for a straight gear detox . You start on 2 then 4,6,8,10.12 pills n then back down again .

Horrible side effects as well .

I really can't see it being a methadone alternative at all mate . I wouldn't even bother trying tbh . Subs are suitable for maintenance as you know n would be far more effective.

Also it makes your blood pressure go through the roof , i fainted after having ashower & was very lucky not to be seriously injured.

That doesn't sound good at all. But after googling 'Lofexidine', it appears that it is actually an antihypertensive drug - i.e. it LOWERS blood pressure. This is probably what caused your fainting - fainting is usually due to low blood pressure rather than high. In fact, high blood pressure has very few symptoms until you keel over with an aneurysm or a stroke. Either way though, I think you may have put me off...

Hmmm seems to be pretty much the same a clonidine, which i have taken to alleviate the symptoms of withdrawal. Clonidine works pretty well, i mean i was definitely still withdrawing and felt pretty horrid, but clonidine took some of the symptoms away. I was just using clonidine to get me through the period of time where i had to detox of methadone to switch to suboxone.

Hmmm seems to be pretty much the same a clonidine, which i have taken to alleviate the symptoms of withdrawal. Clonidine works pretty well, i mean i was definitely still withdrawing and felt pretty horrid, but clonidine took some of the symptoms away. I was just using clonidine to get me through the period of time where i had to detox of methadone to switch to suboxone.

Hmm, that's worth considering - thanks.

That doesn't sound good at all. But after googling 'Lofexidine', it appears that it is actually an antihypertensive drug - i.e. it LOWERS blood pressure. This is probably what caused your fainting - fainting is usually due to low blood pressure rather than high. In fact, high blood pressure has very few symptoms until you keel over with an aneurysm or a stroke. Either way though, I think you may have put me off...

Sorry i meant lowers your blood pressure .

Clonidine is not a maintenance drug either as YN said
I was just using clonidine to get me through the period of time where i had to detox of methadone to switch to suboxone.

They also gave me hydroxyzine and baclofen while I was coming off methadone and the combination of clonidine, baclfoen and hydroxyzine made me very sleepy in fact I was able to sleep for most of the three-four days it took for the methadone to be cleared from my system. Baclofen is an interesting muscle relaxant you might want to check out.
I wish you the best of luck on whatever path you choose, opiate/opoid addiction is a hell of an addiction and just remember to to take it slow and as they say in NA "easy does it." (im not some NA zealot btw lol its just good advice when dealing with addiction)

Last edited:
They also gave me hydroxyzine and baclofen while I was coming off methadone and the combination of clonidine, baclfoen and hydroxyzine made me very sleepy in fact I was able to sleep for most of the three-four days it took for the methadone to be cleared from my system. Baclofen is an interesting muscle relaxant you might want to check out.
I wish you the best of luck on whatever path you choose, opiate/opoid addiction is a hell of an addiction and just remember to to take it slow and as they say in NA "easy does it." (im not some NA zealot btw lol its just good advice when dealing with addiction)

Was this private detox by any chance? The NHS clinics don't have many treatment options available these days. Gone is the prescribing of diamorphine, MST, DF118's etc. - it's all meth or subs now...

Yep it was a private suboxone treatment center in the USA though, all of those drugs I mentioned have very low abuse potential and have shown positive results in dealing with withdrawal, so maybe you could show your doctor some info and he/she should prescribe them, there really shouldn't be any reason not too, but then again I know nothing about the NSH and how medication is prescribed/paid for over there.

yeah i tried it about 10 years ago as a home detox (gear) as Brimz said really lowers your blood pressure ,i had my key worker visit me daily to check my blood pressure, and give me my pills.
as has been said they started low built them up ,then back down again. Very distinctive taste is all i remember.
didn't work for me, but i was more forced into it ,then wanting to do it, and wasn't ready to make any effort to get clean at that time.

A very good friend did it of her own volition , and got on really well ,said it made things quite bearable.
In jail there known as Britlofex no effect's, LOL

i was prescribed them in 94 fuckin horrid things - pins and needles everywhere v low blood pressure so felt giddy most of the time, i ended up chucking them and went CT instead.
and worse of all the doc said 'take as many as you need to feel comfortable' cunt could have killed me

Sounds like it could be useful for anxiety, in low doses. Subs are the obvious choice, if you're down to 30mgs of meth a day. Don't bother with rattling, if you can get an easy ride off. Even if it doesn't cover your full rattle, you'll start getting used to that dose, after a few days. I know the ceiling of subs is about 30-40mg, shame they don't work in higher doses. Much more preferable to methadone, to people who just want off, with no drama and no longer really care about getting fucked.

^ "Ceiling dose" is 32mg for subbiez. And tbh it ain't very nice bumping up against it. The antagonist/blocker (?) aspect comes on too strong and you just feel weird and kinda uncomfortable really. Is one of the very few drugs where less really is more. 16mg and below and you're golden though. Can't overstate my <3 for subbiez. Borderline wonderdrug imo. Just so long as you can taper the 'done down low enough to make best use of 'em. As a bonus, you can also get pretty twatted on subbiez if you really want to. Not really an option with methadone cos even if you do the buzz is shite :\

I know there's loads of info on BL about subbies, but I can't be arsed to wade through it all at the mo'. What level do you think i should get my green down to before switching to subs? My missus tried switching from 20mg meth/day to subs and suffered a horrible precipitated withdrawal.

My "addiction team" made me go down to 20ml (or may've been 25/30ml - can't rightly recall offhand) methadone to switch to 16mg/day of subbiez to start off then upped the subz til I was comfy then slow taper. Taper's a piece of piss on subz. Quitting completely is too but don't rush into that. You need to be pretty much in full-blown w/d to avoid precipitated w/d from 'done. That's the downside. But is well worth the day or so of feeling like arse imo. Subbiez are soooooooo much better as a maintanance drug if you can get down low enough. Speedy, buzzy, full of energy and life - polar opposite of being parked on fukkin methadone. Imo, ime, ymmv, etc, etc.

if u are on methadone you can step off at a maximum dose of 30mgs - 20 is better - BUT you have to wait untill you start withdrawering which if you have been on 'done for a long time could take 2-3 days and by withdrawel i mean not just the odd sneeze but just before you start chucking up and loosing sleep etc otherwise precipated withdrawels are gonna happen - just read sham's post take the advice

Yeah i tried it after the 48hours n stepping off 30ml which they said would be fine & it wasn't at all so it all went tits up n i ended up buying a load of gear going on a massive binge for a couple of weeks & going back on 55ml of Done .

The DSp didn't have much of aclue about subs back then . i would never go back to a DSP i'm more than happy with my Doctor .

i know you go private Blondin but near me their isn't that option & tbh my GP is as good as a private one anyway . Never get piss tested aprt from to check i'm taking my script n that's about once a year . Only have to see a Worker for 30 mins a month , can get phy pills when i need em for travel , don't get any hassle about my Benzo maintenance & get treated like an adult .

I understand this is far from the norm .

I know there's loads of info on BL about subbies, but I can't be arsed to wade through it all at the mo'. What level do you think i should get my green down to before switching to subs? My missus tried switching from 20mg meth/day to subs and suffered a horrible precipitated withdrawal.

i used gear for a few days then jumped on the subs -so much easier and gives a excuse for a final gear binge.

Ha! That's actually not a bad idea at all. Much smoother transition than stepping down from methadone. At least the gear clears yer system sharpish and it's not like anyone wanting on the subbiez ain't used to doing a bit of light clucking now and then. Kinda depends on how good yer self-control going back to dealing with dealers is, mind. That "one last fling" could get outta hand for some... like me probably. Wasn't an option in my situation so down from 'done it was. Don't remember it being that bad but I think it helps when you know you have no other option (short of jumping the train halfway across the country to score anyway).