• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Why do some people seem to be resistant to addiction?

SafeTrouble

Greenlighter
I've tried countless drugs in my life. Too many to count. However, I've never been addicted to anything or even felt any dependence on any substance. I went through about 5K of cocaine in a month with a friend and had no issues when the blow (and money) ran out. I've done plenty of highly-addictive substances including oxycontin and methamphetamine and I never really get the "urge" to do them. If I happen to encounter it, I'll do it with people, but I don't actively crave those drugs. I'm sure many of you have that one friend that has done "every drug under the sun" and yet seems to be able to handle him/herself just fine.

Is this a matter of intellect? Mental maturity? Emotional strength? Spiritual enlightenment?

For example, do you think a traditional Buddhist monk would be more resistant to doing drugs than a random college student?

You've obviously got the longer encoded genes, which are resistant to depression and mental illness. You don't realise how lucky you are. Like a billionaire. You are blessed. Consider yourself in the 1% group. Most of us here are the other 99%. Enjoy your life ;)

I know what you mean I use to be like that to smoke and chill on it for three days the maybe a years or so before I use it was a simple time today it's now more of a balancing act for me I will smoke it almost every other day eat 3 times a day and I mean big meals and when I'm out I'm out with draw hits and u just keep your mind focused on anything but that take it on the chin

Well, this could be an ADD thread were it asked better.

Regardless...

How long have you been using drugs?

How often have you used drugs? How long have you ever gone without using drugs?

Has your use caused you any financial or family problems? Have you ever used to eliminate the shitty feeling you have the day after using?

What is your basis for saying you're not addicted? I don't see any evidence you're not addicted. I only see evidence that you're not trying to stop. If you have unlimited access and don't want to quit using, of course you don't feel a compulsion to use.

This is likely mainly due to differences in dopaminergic transmission (which seems to implement learning and seeking behavior, particularly with phenomena that lead to operant conditioning). Namely, I would hypothesize that having a dompaminergic system that is moderately responsive to dopamine-releasing stimuli (chronic deprivation of dopaminergic transmission and extreme response to reward could each lend themselves to addiction), and that has a high degree of tonic activity, and one with receptors that are slow to downregulate in the wake of dopaminergic release would lead to individual resistance to addiction.

Psychosocial variables matter. Enjoying an enriched environment which lends itself to pursuit of extrinsic rewards in the long-term likely helps. Enjoying a lack of psychopathology which one could 'treat' with inebriants likely helps.

This might be an 'OD topic', but I am skeptical of the quality of responses it will enjoy there, so I won't move it just yet.

ebola

I think what it really boils down to is social/environmental enrichment a la rat park.

I think what it really boils down to is social/environmental enrichment a la rat park.

Yep. This explains why those who enjoy a higher socioeconomic status generally enjoy better health, less risk of substance abuse problems, less risk of depression and anxiety, and the capacity to participate in more rewarding social activities. They access better education which gives better opportunities, have connections which means less chance of finding themselves unemployed or without money, better food, which means better nutrition and therefore better health, and of course, the big one - more time rich too, meaning they've got more time to work on issues that may affect them, such as lack of exercise. Try talking about the lack of exercise to someone who spends 4 hours a day traveling on a train to work from 9am to 5pm, getting up a 6am, and getting home at 7-8pm.

Socioeconomic status and genetics are the two PRIMARY factors affecting your health, and, for me at least, I have the worst of both worlds.

I know if I had loads of money I wouldn't be sitting here typing this, as I'd be doing something much more enjoyable, as I'd be able to afford to do that since I'd have the money to afford it. And if I had great genetics I wouldn't be depressed half the time and would actually enjoy those activities all the more.

Wonderful world, isn't it?

Interesting, and extremely full loaded, question! =D How much time have you got on ya hands - 3 years for an undergrad, a masters, PHD and years/life-time of research/study/work? :! 8(

Still tbh addiction and contributing factors even today are really not well known!*

I don't believe it's as simple as this - although definitely a factor! SES, friendships/relationships, family, even geographical location shows an increase chance/propensity to an addiction. I think ebola best describes what can/may be/is involved.

This is likely mainly due to differences in dopaminergic transmission (which seems to implement learning and seeking behavior, particularly with phenomena that lead to operant conditioning). Namely, I would hypothesize that having a dompaminergic system that is moderately responsive to dopamine-releasing stimuli (chronic deprivation of dopaminergic transmission and extreme response to reward could each lend themselves to addiction), and that has a high degree of tonic activity, and one with receptors that are slow to downregulate in the wake of dopaminergic release would lead to individual resistance to addiction.

Psychosocial variables matter. Enjoying an enriched environment which lends itself to pursuit of extrinsic rewards in the long-term likely helps. Enjoying a lack of psychopathology which one could 'treat' with inebriants likely helps...

The (dopamine) reward pathway definitely has been shown to be a major factor in drug addiction/addictive potential/treatments (hence often the use of AD's such as SSIRs/SN(D)RIs/TCAs/MAOI) although there's still the psychological, genetic (and epi-genetic), environmental (blah blah) influences - making it god damn hard to exact. Which is why tx should be multifaceted involving not just pharmacotherapies but psychological treatment/methods ([Mi]CBT and such), removing oneself from the situations, etc.

My 2secs worth! :D

* fruitful/extensive/lucrative field of study if one is interested! =D

Yep. This explains why those who enjoy a higher socioeconomic status generally enjoy better health....Socioeconomic status and genetics are the two PRIMARY factors affecting your health....

It's unfortunate (that there can be such extremes - if any at all tbh) differences in SES/"class" :\ And while I do agree with this responsibility shouldn't be totally taken away from the choices/actions one does. (However just experience-based this is...) I'd say the same number of people I know with a drug addiction and with what one could call a bad childhood or from a "low SES", etc, there would be just as many people who either are from said situations and have overcome these obstacles (having a good job, earning a decent wage, living "morally and respectfully") or are also drug uses and don't have an addiction.

It's a very difficult problem to answer!

I'd say the same number of people I know with a drug addiction and with what one could call a bad childhood or from a "low SES", etc, there would be just as many people who either are from said situations and have overcome these obstacles (having a good job, earning a decent wage, living "morally and respectfully") or are also drug uses and don't have an addiction.

There should be a rule that the first person who makes a statement along the lines of "well, among the people I know..." loses the ability post any longer in that thread.

Your personal experience isn't very meaningful. I feel bad saying meaningless, but that's basically true. The statistics don't lie. SES and Genetics are the primary factors associated with addiction. That's just what it is.

And you the OP hasn't provided any evidence that he isn't actually an addict. In fact, it sounds like he probably is, and is rationalizing his use now :)

...Your personal experience isn't very meaningful....

1. Ouch! lol
2. Subject experience does have it's place in evidence building! (however weak it maybe). Epidemiologist/Public health professionals often (a posed to strict EBPH- evidence-based pub hlth) use EIPH (...informed... - incorporating subjective information, experiences, etc)* ;)

...The statistics don't lie....

Really? Possibly a poor choice of word but statistics in fact can "lie"! Numbers/figures can quite easily (and often) be expressed in a way to introduce bias. :\

Regardless, I wasn't exactly disagreeing with ya Hammilton :) Just trying to show causes of addiction are in fact multi-factorial, not "just" SES or genetics.

* attempting to justify my comments ;)

Could it possibly relate to the way you were taught? A lot of children are taught with a reward system instead of fostering critical thinking development. It's pavlovian to offer rewards for jobs well done, and drugs offer infinite pleasure reward for doing next to nothing. It's "do this because we say so and you'll get a reward" vs. "here are the reasons why you should do A instead of B".

Psychosocial variables matter. Enjoying an enriched environment which lends itself to pursuit of extrinsic rewards in the long-term likely helps. Enjoying a lack of psychopathology which one could 'treat' with inebriants likely helps.

This might be an 'OD topic', but I am skeptical of the quality of responses it will enjoy there, so I won't move it just yet.

ebola
i do agree with you. I have seen some of my bipolar friends dependent on various substances. Opiates especially. Personally, I've been diagnosed with ADHD(according to some Indian physician) back when I was 7. I ended up getting methylphenidate, and started a regime. The drug helped me behave in school. One day on a weekend where I didn't have to take them, I felt like I wanted to take some, so that I can be a "good kid". This false ideology that I had in my mind helped me find the drugs hidden from me and I ended up taking 4 pills which was 20mg. I was a 70 lbs kid taking ritalin like candy behind my parents back. I told my parents when they came home, and they ended up stopping my ritalin treatment. Even after that, I found them in a different hiding spot and ended up taking them all until I ran out. As soon as I ran out, I started licking the bottle and trying to get every bit of it out of the bottle by putting water in it. It was my first drugs of abuse. It was a weird time in elementary school. :\

Nowadays, I seem to have problems with heroin or methamphetamine. Mainly cigarettes

Last edited:
There is a (even in this day and age, god forbid! 8) ) exist quite a (decent) gap between/the along the "continuity " health systems. There exists (efficacy for one and possible not for another-scenario) really no clear answers (read: DSM for an idea [here or here] :E) to these sorts of questions (really unfortunately!). Hence why (personally if someone is legitimately/wanting to not use, a precise/expensive/ tailored to the individual) co-therapies are a must for complete recovery*.

All of which is why it can (be so) difficult!

Of course it would be ridiculous not to incorporate (my previously post) said genetics and SES - however (without trying to sound all hippie-like and environmentalist! ;) ), all those mentioned (and more I'm sure) produce system-wide factors which can/does vastly affect mental capacity, physicality etc....as would genetics/SES. In terms of dx one would prioritise each accordingly using a differential diagnosis.

...For a human being, a "stimulating environment" can be the result of your attitude as well as your surroundings.

Hey atara, how much have you (or anyone I guess! :) ) experienced MiCBT, or each individually? (albeit worded more eloquent than myself) a fundamental Mindfulness training is in fact to try to move away (it is recommended with a psychologist/those similar) from a mindset; that is to say for example, that when one is angry, the feelings may build up inside, and often released at an inappropriate (I don't necessarily mean in a form people often think :) ). Mindfulness however teaches one to get in touch with the signals* and learn techniques to help

* as hippy sounding this

Last edited:
Ethylphenidate made me realise how shitty of a feeling mdpv is, but on it you think its great and dont want anything better (youd go for the md line instead of a more euphoric stim) its weird how addiction messes around with your mind so much haha, it doesnt make sense atleast it does, want more of whatever your addicted too.

After a line of ethyl i feel higher yet i crave mdpv instead and dont want more ethyl, mdpv is fucking weird shit no stim like it.

I know exactly what you mean mate, I'm the same. I don't know whether it's my willpower or otherwise.

I've smoked for longer than my best mate, however I don't find the need to smoke at all unless I am seriously at peaking stress levels - otherwise it just never crosses my mind, I can go days without a ciggarette. I'd like one, but I don't beat myself up about it if you get me?

If there's cannabis there, I won't have to smoke it, I'll smoke it when I want to, not need to. I don't know, I know addiction IS real and that things can grab a hold of people but I've never had anything grab a hold of me.

I went through about 5K of cocaine in a month with a friend and had no issues when the blow (and money) ran out.

lol, I think maybe your definition of addiction is a bit off.

As with the extent of drug use overall, those with a stable social network are less likely to have a mental void which certain drugs can readily fill

There should be a rule that the first person who makes a statement along the lines of "well, among the people I know..." loses the ability post any longer in that thread.

Your personal experience isn't very meaningful. I feel bad saying meaningless, but that's basically true. The statistics don't lie. SES and Genetics are the primary factors associated with addiction. That's just what it is.

And you the OP hasn't provided any evidence that he isn't actually an addict. In fact, it sounds like he probably is, and is rationalizing his use now :)

I can't imagine a more detestable, bitchy person

Its ok, you can feel bad