• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Is agnosticism intellectual cowardice?

Did you join the army for ideological reasons, or because you needed a job?

Mainly, because I thought I'd enjoy it. I do enjoy it, so I was correct. Some ideology, I support the concept of Western democracy over the current alternatives in the world. I support UN peace keeping and disaster relief operations. Those are secular reasons.

What does have to do with topic?

Then why, pray, are you discussing it?!

It's hard to explain. It comes up a lot in other topics I'm interested in relating to science. I partly take notice because I'm wondering if I'm missing something not having the same passion many atheists have about their atheism and seem to apply their non belief to so many things in life.

Honestly, I wish people would just stop talking about this 'God' fellow. Aside from the subject's intrinsic philosophical value, there's really not much to be gained through discussion.

Agreed. I am reminded of the scene in Waking Life when the youths were walking around the street, spitting verbose monologues of philosophy, capped by the "We're all theory and no action."

... followed by "he's all action and no theory" about a guy repairing the telephone lines; which may be pertinent -- this is deep!

If everyone is god, god is worthless.

If everyone is god, god is worth the value of everyone, right?

if everyone is god, god is as valuable as everyone (and everything for that matter) I am not religious yet I do like to theorize about god and I have come to the conclusion that god is in everyone and everything andf that is what god is, everything. So god is a worthy as you think that existence is.

I love Ayn Rand's ability to write, but her philosophy is close-minded and circular. It attacks a orthodox, strawman version of God.

Faith is not without reason. As soon as you realize that her entire philosophy crumbles.

Thanks. :)

True, All logic is flawed in that way though (all ends up a bit wittgensteinian then, which just aint that helpful!). Hence I prefer arguments that are open to modification. Hopefully based on some sort progression. I get drawn in by science instead. And it still has plenty of room for Gods, which are in essence just the currently unexplained.

as for external/internal proof I always thought it stops at I think therefore I think. Still not sure on the am.

I'm just throwing pop philosophy about now though.

sorry. :/

I think god is a concept that is manifested through linguistics. And I generally don't have a lot of faith in linguistics as they dont really cater to my systems of belief.

And I generally don't have a lot of faith in linguistics as they dont really cater to my systems of belief

People who study languages using hermeneutics, statistics, and the scientific method are in fundamental opposition to your 'beliefs?' What beliefs are those, pray tell? [I'm genuinely curious - I've never heard of an 'anti-linguist' before]

If you were just joking (it's kinda hard to tell), then please disregard this post.

Ask any christian "what evidence, if could be produced, would convince you that you beliefs were wrong ?"

Ask any christian "what evidence, if could be produced, would convince you that you beliefs were wrong ?"

there isnt any.

thats why Jesus would get so frustrated about us always wanting signs, but it makes sense because we are in a material form, so that is what we believe the extent of reality to be.

I'm just saying, I believe in and have faith in things i can see, like the environment, human interactions, as opposed to religious ideologies. Specifically, it seems to me that language is merely a tool that one can use to explain things, categorize thoughts, etc. and its a very small portion of what I consider reality. And god/religion certainly does not have a place in that reality, because it is supported only by language, which has been intertwined with culture for a very long time.

Is agnosticism intellectual cowardice?
i'm agnostic towards almost everything.

"maybe" is a thin strand to hang the meaning of life on, but it's all we've got!

Last edited:
Is cowardice intellectual agnosticism? I'm not sure, but I believe that the answer will be arrived at in this thread, if enough people contribute their bullshit opinions. I'm convinced that the source of all wisdom is in an averaging-out of everyone's bullshit opinions into one coherent wise-opinion.
1060262_f260.jpg
That must surely be the pinnacle of achievement of the internet forum age - the ability to collect bullshit opinions in one place for later processing into wisdom. With this in place, I don't think that the human race can or ever will go far wrong ever again.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't really approach a question like this from the perspective of right or wrong, that would imply a duality; the concept of "god" relates to that which is infinite.

It's completely paradoxical, which is why topics like this will go around in circles forever.

As someone mentioned earlier 'All I know is that I know nothing' if you know nothing your free from the illusion that you ever forgot to begin with, and the question itself is no longer of importance because the answer is all around you.

Misotheism is where it's at. Fuck God and the chariot he may have rode in on!

I think god is angry because he knows I dont believe in him.. or perhaps that his name is dog spelled backwards