• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

terrified! just found out i have hep c

Hi Tackyspiral,

I'm sincerely sorry to hear that you've been diagnosed with Hep-C-1A, especially considering what you've had to put up with.

On the topic of whether it would be a wise decision to notify your parents - I feel you should take into consideration how you think they will react, based on the strength of their relationship with you (e.g. have they loved you unconditionally; can you count on them to support you in your time of need), their political and religious views (e.g. are they strictly conservative or liberally democratic; do they tend to base their views and opinions on controversial religious beliefs), and - in general - their personality traits (e.g. do you find they are normally uptight, pessimistic, aggressive, and/or stubborn when discussing a topic which concerns you). Yes, I suppose that eventually, you may have to end up telling them. In that case, perhaps it would be best to wait for when you feel you're ready to let it out (and they're ready to hear it). A lot of the time, these sort of things are best left alone until the best opportunity (or time to let them know) presents itself.

Also, have you considered supplementing with Milk Thistle? It has been reported to have protective effects on the liver and to greatly improve its function. It is typically used to treat liver cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis (liver inflammation), toxin-induced liver damage including the prevention of severe liver damage from Amanita phalloides ('death cap' mushroom poisoning), and gallbladder disorders.[1] Clinical study has shown that liver function tests can be improved in active hepatitis patients.[2] I've used this wonderful herb for years to protect myself from myself and have never experienced any negative effects.

[1] Quoted from Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_thistle
[2] A pilot study on the liver protective effect of Milk Thistle (silybin-phosphatidylcholine complex (IdB1016)) in chronic active hepatitis - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8225695

Congrats on turning over a new leaf and I hope that you receive the emotional and physical support, care and treatment you require. Take care :)

Last edited:
^ thanks for the advice on my parents i think i will just give it some time... also probably if i am able to really get things together in my life ... basically continue on this current path for an extended period i think they will maybe be more sympathetic when i do break the news and less disgusted...

I just found out for sure that I have hep c a week ago . I still have to go to a gi. Im here with you im only 25, but since I've found out I have been using . Go figure

Last edited:
Yup. Found out I had it yesterday. Shared a needle once (all it takes). I know how it is, I've been extremely depressed and just want to get loaded.

have you ever thought of having a c section?

that could reduce the risk of transferring it, if not getting rid of the chances completely.
just a thought

and congratulations on becoming a mom (soon) :)

I had hep C before. It's a long story. I was one of the fortunate 10% who spontaneously recovered from it and now has 40% immunity. I was part of a research study at a local university. My anti-bodies were a top commodity :p

Prior to recovery they were about to start interferon treatments. Not to scare you, but I'm not sure why your doctor says there's no need to treat it? There is a 60% cure rate if treatment is started within the first 4-6 months of infection, and the cure rate declines after that. Then it becomes symptom management.

You're pregnant so you wouldn't be able to start treatment until after delivery of your baby anyway. But still, saying you should wait until complications develop seems strange to me.

stay away from alcohol, completely. if you do that, you'll likely stay healthy all your life.

I've heard there is new meds coming out with 99 percent cure rate. I see a gi on the 12th it's probably been a couple years since ive gotten it. So I'm screwed now ?

CONGRATS, i'm sure you'll be a great ma :)

i've shared a needle accidently once, and the guy had hep c. some miracle stopped me from getting it. jesus christ.

and listen, people with hep c go on to have pretty undisrupted lives. its not like the old days, theres support and treatment, particularly for someone of your age and situation (preggers, up the pole, bun in the oven, expecting)

as was posted before, hep c doesn't always warrant treatment. when you approach a doctor for treatment options, they will assess your "viral load". simply put, if its over a certain number, you'll be recommended treatment. under, and you won't.

also, remember that in up to 10% of cases, hep c can spontaneously be resolved with no additional treatment. its worth remembering. and you'll have an immunity to hep c after!

anyway, i know heaps of people with hep c, and the vast majority of them seem healthy and happy. keep in mind, however, if you opt to take a course of anti-virals, it will be hell to your body and soul, but you will recover, i think with an over 90% success rate with novel treatments.

Yeah, my doctor also said "not to worry about" and mentioned nothing in regards to treatment. Since it was detected relatively early, I hope it can resolve itself or stay dormant. Is there any other particular substances, other than alcohol, I should completely avoid? I'm a daily cannabis smoker and read an article linking cannabis use to an increased chance for fibrosis, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18166478. Any thoughts?

Yeah, my doctor also said "not to worry about" and mentioned nothing in regards to treatment. Since it was detected relatively early, I hope it can resolve itself or stay dormant. Is there any other particular substances, other than alcohol, I should completely avoid? I'm a daily cannabis smoker and read an article linking cannabis use to an increased chance for fibrosis, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18166478. Any thoughts?

Stay away from alcohal and APAP. those are the 2 biggst ones I can think of.

^ My GI doctor told me that acetaminophen at therapeutic doses should be ok
(apparently ibuprofen is bad when you are pregnant and i suffer from migraines/headaches)
ironically acetaminophen is quite safe for pregnancy
As far as a 90% or better success rate at this moment in time i believe that depends on the genotype... i know that isnt true for type 1 but it may be for type 2 and 3
I have been racking my brain trying to figure out when i contracted it.... It was either within the last year... or last summer
I am going to call the detox unit i went to last september and specifically ask if they tested for HCV or not
When I checked in I remember them saying my liver functions were slightly elevated but then they went back to normal in later tests and they were alot more concerned about my creatinine levels which also returned to normal after several days

I also know I was tested for Hep C in the past...
And from my understanding esp for genotype 1 since success rates are lower and treatment is longer they dont necessarily recommend treatment if not necessary
Also because new treatments are being studied its a nother reason to "wait and see" i guess?

Also the results of my last blood test showed normal readings for basically everything except of course slightly elevated liver functions
AST was 104
ALT was 163
and borderline high/normal BUN/Creatinine and Iron, Serum
My doctor didn't seem to worried though...

My results also came back normal. My AST was 20 with a standard range of 10-40. My ALT was 11 with a standard range of <36. I'm 22 and started IV'ing drugs about 8 months ago, so I know it was contracted recently. The one time I did share a needle I bleached it, but as I've come to discover, bleach does not kill Hep-C. Anyways, I hope all goes well for you and your child.

I was told to avoid alcohol, drugs, processed food, greasy/fast food, and smoking because all of these have to be processed by the liver. You have to treat your body like royalty and eat healthy.

higerconciousness your doc isnt worrying prob cuz your liver functions are totally normal... the virus may not even be active?
with me it is active but my doctor told me the most likely scenario would be that my liver functions would stay at about the slightly to moderately elevated levels indefinatly

Hey all.....
I just came to another very scary real life realization about the situation.....
so as stated I am currently 23 and luckily I am on my parents health insurance plan.... I believe I can remain on their plan until I am either 25 or 26.... regardless
hcv is a chronic condition (esp if I choose not to go through the very scary 48 week treatment immediately so that I am not too sick to take care of my little one)
but HCV is considered a pre existing health condition i guess and so I mean if I dont qualify for medicaid at that point I guess I will be totally utterly fucked???
How does that work?

Have you talked to your doctor about the best time to go through the treatment? Once you establish that you can start talking to your insurance company to see what they cover.

well basically i cant start treatment for a year anyway even if i wanted to....
and from my understanding its such a difficult process and there are new treatments being researched that it makes sense to maybe wait...

but also i think a pos hcv test within ten years counts as a pre existing condition.... and i want to have health insurance after i am 26 regardless of my hcv
you never know what could happen right....
and i am getting bills now a lot and if i didnt have insurance this stuff would be crazy hell its expensive even with insurance... copays and stuff
i have had a couple dr visits/lab work that amount to over 2000$ before insurance ....

basically i am freaking out cuz how will i ever get insurance after i get to old to be covered under my parents??? its terrifying