• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Should I bother giving a Methaqualone a try

Status
Not open for further replies.

blight12

Bluelighter
I have done all the research etc and was just hoping for some opinions from those with experience or those in the know regarding Methaqualone.

I have been on the hunt for Euphoric substances and recently came across a few threads mentioning Methaqualone as a good on to try. A few members went as far as saying its on the top of their wishlist, which was a surprise.
I enjoy my stimulants and recently tried Opiates. I was hoping to find something with similar euphoria to Opiates and Methaqualone seems to be a good candidate.
As a South African resident its readily available and I just confirmed with my guy that he has. Strangely I have known about its availability here as Mandrax for ever but the local propaganda machine makes it out to be total crap for the "lower class", big surprise, so I never bothered to investigate further.

In any case there is not much recent info on the substance here on BL, so i was hoping for some up to date opinions and info or a yay or nay to bother giving it a try. I'm really looking for something to chill alone at home with and enjoy myself while messing around on the net or whatever. Also interested in experimenting with different types of euphoria inducing substances. Would also be interested in combos with this substance besides the usual weed combo.

Thanks.

Methaqualone is a euphoric sedative-hypnotic similar to powerful barbiturates like secobarbital and pentobarbital. Although it is a very recreational sedative, it is also highly deadly. Not as dangerous as the barbiturates, but still can cause serious respiratory depression and death when taken in excess or when mixed with alcohol or other CNS depressants such as opioids, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, etc. So do not mix this drug with ANY other CNS depressant. Not even a Valium!

You obviously have no previous experience with this drug so I would start off with a therapeutic dose and see how that works out for you. It wouldn't hurt if you had a friend with you just in case you react badly to it or it ends up being too much for you to handle.

Have fun, but be very careful. Methaqualone is serious shit.

If you are interested in euphoric substances than you might want to try some MDMA (ecstasy) or some form of amphetamine (methamphetamine, dextroamphetamine). Cocaine is another euphoric substance, obviously. Other substances I'd suggest are obviously opiates like morphine/heroin or something similar (hydromorphone, pethidine, hydrocodone) and maybe certain benzodiazepines (temazepam, triazolam, nitrazepam, diazepam). Try not to mix CNS depressants.

Last edited:
The reason you don't see any info on methaqualone here is because it was discontinued in Europe and US/Canada in the early 80's due to problems with abuse and dependance.

It is clandestinely produced in some countries, South Africa is one of the notable ones, I don't know how it is distributed though. The old standby used to be either 150mg or 300mg methaqualone freebase tablets. (Rorer/Lemmon 712/714) A good dose for a naive user I believe is something like 1/2 tablet.

I have no idea how it is sold locally in your area - clandestinely produced tablets, raw freebase powder, etc. It may be very hard to judge dosage, start small.
Methaqualone is supposedly very close to a barbiturate type drug. I would not treat it like an opiate.

Effects can include euphoria, drowsiness, reduced heart rate, reduced respiration, increased sexual arousal (aphrodisia), and paresthesias (numbness of the fingers and toes). Larger doses can bring about respiratory depression, slurred speech, headache, and photophobia (a symptom of excessive sensitivity to light).

An overdose can cause delirium, convulsions, hypertonia, hyperreflexia, vomiting, renal failure, coma, and death through cardiac or respiratory arrest. It resembles barbiturate poisoning, but with increased motor difficulties and a lower incidence of cardiac or respiratory depression. Toxicity is treated with diazepam and sometimes other anticonvulsants.

Erowid states a common first time recreational dose is 300mg and that 75 - 300 mg produce sedation and sleepiness while 300+ mg produces sedation and euphoria.

^ I believe methaqualone is available by prescription in South Africa as Mandrax. I think it is mixed with another substances, though. It is manufactured clandestinely, but not in South Africa.

Thanks for the feedback, will take heed!

^ I believe methaqualone is available by prescription in South Africa as Mandrax. I think it is mixed with another substances, though. It is manufactured clandestinely, but not in South Africa.

Im pretty sure its not available legally here. As far as i know its common illegally in certain parts of the country mainly Cape Town. I hear some is manufactured locally but most is imported due to the high demand for use combined with weed in poorer areas. Due to the dosage concerns with the unregulated distribution, I will ensure im careful. Apparently tablets are crushed and smoked in joints.

I would not smoke methaqualone tablets, take them orally. Smoking pills is rather destructive for your lungs, & harder to accurately dose.

i think mandrax is mixed with an antihistamine, not sure which one though. and as far as i know, it's available for prescription but also clandestinely manufactured, in pills resembling ecstasy. it's commonly crushed and smoked with pot.
edit: i don't know if the clandestinely manufactured pills also contain an antihistamine.

i've never taken methaqualone, but it's supposed to be quite fun. unfortunately there's none to be had around here. but be careful, its lethality is up there with pentobarbital and other barbiturates.

Last edited:
I would avoid it completely or use it extremely sparingly since you've never tried it before.

It is indeed euphoric and definitely comparable to a mix of IMO seconal and soma.

I would avoid it completely or use it extremely sparingly since you've never tried it before.

It is indeed euphoric and definitely comparable to a mix of IMO seconal and soma.

so it's nothing like benzos? strange, i've heard that it's even less recreational than something like seroquel.

Blight12 said:
Strangely I have known about its availability here as Mandrax for ever but the local propaganda machine makes it out to be total crap for the "lower class", big surprise, so I never bothered to investigate further.
That's strange, in the US when it was around it was pretty much considered a soft drug. But I get the impression that in South Africa it's reputation is not unlike PCP's is in the US, that it's a dangerous ghetto drug. Maybe because it's smoked, often adulterated, impure, and inconsistently doses.
Kokaino said:
So do not mix this drug with ANY other CNS depressant. Not even a Valium!
I heard when real Quaalude was around a party staple was a six pack and a couple ludes. Although I agree that mixing shit with a street drug from which the OP has no experience with is a bad idea.
sekio said:
The reason you don't see any info on methaqualone here is because it was discontinued in Europe and US/Canada in the early 80's due to problems with abuse and dependance.
Maybe I'm being cynical, but I think it was about money. Methaqualone wasn't more toxic or addictive than a lot of drugs, shit the much more toxic Seconal's still CII.I think it was other factors for it's banning.
1. It went generic
2. The insurance costs got high due to a large number of robberies.
3. The government shut down the stress clinic that prescribed them, so less sales.
4. The market was flooded with convincing bootlegged ludes. Very close counterfeits of Lemmon 714 actually appeared before Lemmon even started making their brand. Someone may have leaked the formula for the inactives and may have even stole a stamp for the press.
5. Other hypnotics/sedatives were released at the time, Xanax, Halcion, and Rohypnol. Lemmon was their competition. Really I don't think Halcion or Rohypnol are much safer.
xxxyyy said:
but be careful, its lethality is up there with pentobarbital and other barbiturates.
Actually even though it's as potent as Seconal or Nembutal it's only half as toxic as the least toxic barb phenobarbital, with a lethal dose with no tolerance of 10 grams vs 5 grams for pheno and 2 grams for seco/pentobarbital. AFAIK it doesn't have barbs fucked up tolerance where the lethal doses only rises to twice as much and the effective dose levels off at 1.5 grams. Also doesn't cause much respiratory depression. An OD usually kills by seizures, and very high doses can cause bleeding. Also i think I read it's physically not as addicting as barbs, closer to benzos(still would suck). The big killer with ludes wasn't ODs, it was car accidents("People on ludes should not drive!")
Bigfanofthemdrugs said:
so it's nothing like benzos? strange, i've heard that it's even less recreational than something like seroquel.
I doubt it's like Seroquel, which not fun at all. From what I heard it's up there with cocaine, ecstasy, and heroin. They wouldn't make it a CII narcotic then CI for nothing if it was even like benzos.

There is not any country that still prescribes methaqualone AFAIK. Switzerland under Toquilone and Indonesia under Renova(I think) were the last countries to have it. Think France might have also had the similar drug mecloqualone but not anymore. Mandrax was 250mg of methaqualone with 25mg of diphenhydramine. The bootlegged Mandrax is mostly made in India, where it's also abused, and China, though not so much anymore in China. Sometimes it's stamped with an MX to copy the original mandrax, or with a swastika. Not because it's made by skinheads, but because it's a holy symbol in Hinduism and Buddhism.

I'd be careful and use it sparingly, it sometimes has very little methaqualone or sometimes more than legit pills. Sometimes they cut it with benzos or antihistamines. Also a lot of it is very impure, with some very toxic byproducts like toluidine. The unreacted toluidine can make you really sick http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/methylan.html . This might be why MX has a bad rep, it's not the methaqualone, it's the impurities. I think that's why methaqualone and PCP aren't more popular, the impurities are very toxic. At least with other drugs they just give a dirty feeling that some grow to like.

I've read old articles from about when the Quaalude epidemic died down. Apparently most of the "boots" or counterfeits were at first made from legit pharm grade methaqualone or mecloqualone powder diverted from legitimate pharm companies. Then the 6 factories that made methaqualone agreed to stop making it. Some tried to make it themselves but didn't purify it right. This caused the pills to have a bad smell, brown color, were weaker, and got them sick. So the major cartels just put in dihydrocodeine or diazepam. Stupid thing is they put in 300mg of diazepam at first and killed a bunch of people. Later the lude mimics were dropped down to 40mg.

The price shot up from very cheap to really expensive, the quality was often poor and they were mostly fakes. I mean who'd pay the same price as an OC or XTC for something that's probably just valium? Especially when you had other good downer like Doriden, Seconal, Rohypnol, and GHB(legal).

Still I'm surprised it's a cheap ghetto drug sold in India and Sub-Sahara Africa when it could sell for way more in North America or Europe. That is if they'd clean it up.

It you're willing to take the risk, please write a trip report.

There are few sedative-hypnotics which made a name for themselves besides methaqualone. Obvious ones are the barbiturates, particularly secobarbital (Seconal), pentobarbital (Nembutal), and amobarbital. Others are ethchlorvynol (Placidyl), glutethimide (Doriden), meprobamate, methyprylon, ethinamate, chloral hydrate, flunitrazepam, temazepam, nimetazepam, and diazepam.

In doing a bit more research on methaqualone I've come to learn that it is actually far less deadly than the barbiturates. In 1972 there were 275 reported poisonings, attempted suicides, and overdoses of methaqualone in the UK and of the 275 only 16 were fatal. That is even far less than temazepam's peak death tally in the UK back in the early 90's.

Last edited:
yeah my bad. i didn't really know its toxicity, just read an article on it once where it was compared to barbs in toxicity. on a sidenote, chloral hydrate is still prescribable in germany, wheras methaqualone falls under the btmg (narcotics law) and isn't prescribable anymore.

Wow, people smoking methaqualone.

Talk about wasting a drug that 99.9% of all BLers would love to try.

^word.. According to Erowid methaqualone is still legal via prescription in Canada as a schedule III substance, But the last time their page on methaqualone legality was updated seems to be around March 2010.

I've heard that 'lude's are incredibly euphoric. Unfortunately I wasn't even an embryo by the time they were taken off the market, but all the old school junky's say the buzz was as euphoric as heroin. They also said though that it's really not the kind of drug you can kale consistantly as effects diminish rapidly, even with increasing the dose. This is all junky nostalgia of course so I'm not sure how truthful it is, but I've never met anyone that tried methaqualone and didn't like it.

My dad even brings them up sometimes, quietly murmuring "Rorer 714... Those were the days" looking up at the sky, after taking a deep drag off his ciggarette.

So yeah, if you're going to do it, don't smoke it. However since its illegally manufactured I'd be weary and start off very low (or don't do it at all)

also i just checked. my bad. methaqualone is still prescribable in germany, but it's in the same category as hard opioids (i.e. narcotic law). but theoretically it still can be prescribed in germany, although it probably never is.

Although I've never had the pleasure of trying methaqualone, something tells me that the really good barbiturates (Seconal, Nembutal, etc) are the better drugs.

I'd love to try those C-II barbiturates as well.

I've heard many stories about Quaaludes. It sounds like a more sexual version of a nice heavy benzo (or barb).

Status
Not open for further replies.