Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Help - advice regarding tapering off heroin

Polo79

Greenlighter
Currently I am using at least .5g a day of heroin and was wondering if anyone has quit heroin by reducing how much they use each day. My plan is to only use heroin when I really need to and mix it with ice. Can it be done and how long will it take to stop. I am over this habit and just want to die cos I am very disappointed with myself

I also have Val's and a couple of xannie's to help me sleep. I also work so the option of going cold turkey is not possible. Please can someone help me with some advice or even if my plan is doable?

Tapering with heroin itself is very unlikely, that almost always leads to just binging on your remaining stash then running out and buying more.

If you want to taper, try using another opioid as a substitute. Buprenorphine is a great option if you can find it on the street, if not then codeine works well too, with your tolerance it won't get you high but it should prevent you getting sick, and because it's not getting you high and it's a pharmaceutical it's easy to taper down.

I have been on bupe before n I hate jumping on a program. I was seeing if it's possible to reduce my heroin usage n mixing it with ice then slowly have no gear n just ice for the last few days.

I have been through wd before but I can't rembr how long it was to get thru it. I hav both Val's n a couple of xannies and also panadine forte. So my plan.. Starting tomorrow is to have abit of gear with some ice and see how long I can be not sick for, my aim is to go at least til 10pm at night and have a little bit of gear before bed. Then next day the same thing but with less gear n same amount of ice.

Ice can give you energy when you don't have heroin, but the comedown is hell when you don't have opiates. Coming down from both is probably the first kind of torture I would inflict on an enemy. Getting them hooked on heroin then injecting them with naltrexone would be saved for only the most special enemies.

I tried tapering down from heroin several times, it never worked. Codeine is probably your best bet since it's over the counter. Look up the CWE megathread and work out a dose that keeps you well enough to get to work, then reduce every few days. That's probably your best bet apart from getting a week off work.

When u say it never worked for you, was it because you end up using it when u didn't need to? I am not intending of having a lot of ice, the most I would have would be less then 1/2 a pt with the gear.
I have myself been through rapid detox frm the naltrexone and it was a killer. The reason why I cannot do a cold turkey is cos my parents don't know and I need to get clean before they get more suss then what they are already. So if I could I would do a straight cold turkey but then they will see me going thru w/d and I am hoping I can't get clean by at least wed or thur the latest. So I will be reducing my heroin intake by a massive drop n that's why I am having ice with the gear to be able to work during the day and then at night take Val's and xannies and panadine to get thru the night.

If all goes to plan, can a person get clean by Thursday? Or am I dreaming?

I seem to recall reading awhile back that amphetamines helped slightly with opioid withdrawal and craving, your mileage may vary though and there is no science with how much to use. I know one person who told me using meth made it eassier to go a day or two without opioids but they would always have a dose of opioids for the comedown. As opi8 pointed out coming down off ice while going through h withdrawal would be a total bitch. I also think you will go through your benzo's much quicker if you are using amphetamines and the benzo's will be as or more helpful than the meth, so skipping the meth and using the benzo's more sparingly is probably the better and certainly the cheaper option.

I think if you went cold turkey then the worst effects would probably over by Thursday or Friday, but not totally over. In terms of doing a taper there is no way you would be clean by then.

If you can get a hold of oxy or morphine you might be able to taper with those, other than that you could use Rikodeine and codeine which you can obtain without a prescription. Other than that you aren't left with much choice but to jump on a program, if bupe hasn't worked well for you in the past then perhaps methadone could work better for you, I do feel obligated to point out there is a good chance you will end up on the 'done for quite a while. If you do decide to get on bupe or methadone then this thread may be helpful to you.

Good luck mate, I hope that you are able to get clean without too much discomfort. :)

I want to avoid any kind of program, I know it's kind of a double edge sword but I just want to be clean of this shit. I'm over it and I was just hoping for the best. I know it is different for everyone, but when will someone usually begin wd or when does heroin start leaving the body and you body begins craving for more opiates.

I'm surprised so many people find codeine so effective for a taper from a decent habit, I've been doing a slow taper and I find codeine fairly useless because it doesn't last long enough. Within 3 hours or so I'll be getting wd effects again, so I only really use it as a short term solution to get to sleep or get out and about to sort myself out.

Polo79, what about poppy seed tea...? I'm tapering that (though it is my main addiction with heroin and oxy thrown in fairly often) and I find it really convenient, it lasts long enough that you can dose once every 24 hours. Though if you're looking for the quickest kick it's not for you, because of the long halflife, addiction can set in using it only 3 times a week, and the wd is drawn out.

When I failed with heroin tapers I had written out how much I was going to take each day for a fortnight, reducing the amount each day. By the third day I was prolonging the inevitable and I had to recalculate how quickly I reduced. In the end I got fed up with not getting the feeling I wanted and using my regular amount then scoring more. Tapering off heroin is a lot easier said than done.

^ I'm not saying that codeine is a wonder drug, there just isn't much else available over the counter, 600+mgs may or may not help him get through work at his current use. I suppose if he could get his hands on oxycodone that would be ideal, I tapered well with oxy, not sure why it was different than tapering with H. There's the bonus of being able to swallow the tablets if you need to simultaneously remove a needle fixation.

Maintenance program or taper if you can, big factor for me quitting was money, friends dying etc. In all fairness the hardest part of withdrawal from smack will only be a few weeks - i suggest trying to go cold turkey if you have a chance. or doing a week- 2 week detox program and goin from there.

Sure you can taper off the gear. Cut your use down from a half weight a day down to a cap, then a half a cap and stop. I prefer heroin withdrawals from a small habit (.1 - .2 a day) over going on maintenance again. Don't look back. And don't touch the stove again, it's hot. :)

I agree also that codeine can be a god send, and if you can tolerate the ice it can keep you distracted, but as has been said the come down while you're sick can be a bit much.

Well the tapering plan kind of fk up, I ended up using to feel it. I will try again tomorrow. I also am surprised by the codeine suggestions ppl give. It doesn't really do much for me either, so I am going to have just ice tomorrow and only use smack with I'm actually feeling sick. This morning when i did have ice only it kinda made the withdrawals go away but maybe cos I knew I had gear with me as well.

Ashley, is that what you did? If so did it work for you? I think the hard part is to resist using the gear when I'm not hanging. I keep telling myself I can but then I end up using and need to get more. It's an endless cycle and I know by doing this I'm delaying the wd.

Ashley, is that what you did? If so did it work for you? I think the hard part is to resist using the gear when I'm not hanging. I keep telling myself I can but then I end up using and need to get more. It's an endless cycle and I know by doing this I'm delaying the wd.

Yeah, the hardest part is to resist the gear. Nigh on impossible. I got off the bupe by getting back on the gear and then just hanging out from the dope. Feel much better now I'm off maintenance, lost 4 years of my life there.

Yeah I don't think there are many people out there who could be sick and manage to dose just enough to get well instead of getting high on top.

If codeine doesn't do anything at all for you you might be unable to metabolize it, something like 10% of the population are, sad to say.

Honestly it sounds like however you do it you're just going to have to take some time off work. Could try going cold turkey and using benzos to sleep through the brunt of it. Or Ibis' idea about a short term detox program would work too.

I don't think you're doing yourself any favors using ice on top. It might help with the discomfort and malaise initially, but when it wears off you're just going to crave H even more than usual.

True crankinit, but I am only planning to use the ice during the day. I can't take any days off work so for me to be able to cope I would other need to use or have a substitute. I have been at work where I start going to wd and I am unable to sit there n work, the time goes really slow and I'm am constantly looking at the clock. I swear it's a fkn drainer and I wish I could kill the person who ever invented heroin!!!
But aside from that I am going to give myself another try and only using smack when I start hanging out, I have someone who is also trying to get off the same way so he will also give me some support and vice versa.
Will let you know what happens tomo, fingers crossed that I can make it thru tomo and the plan is to only use 0.2g btw the both of us.

^ all the best man. it's not an approach i would wanna try, but please let us know how you're going.

Do you have anyone you trust to hold onto your drugs for you and ration them out? That way you can't give in and up your dose when the time comes around.

Spacejunk - your approach would be? I am open to any suggestions, but keep in mind the situation I'm in. 1) I can't take anymore days off work, 2) I don't want to be on a maint program. By the way, I didn't mention this important fact - the reason why I can't be on a program is cos my dad administers the naltrexone to me every second day, I pretend to swallow it but then I quickly spit it out. That's why I need to be clean ASAP so I can take the nal properly.

Crankinit, I do have good friends that would do that for me but I don't want to tell them the situation I'm in. There are only so much both friends n family will give chances to someone. So that just leaves me with holding on to it myself. But I guess I have someone who will tell me when I can use. By that I mean if he isn't hanging then I shouldn't be hanging and maybe it's the urge to just use gear. If u know what I mean.