MEGA: Rap/Hip Hop DISCUSSION thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ no doubt. yay area shit all day! nickatina is one of the dopest and not just from the bay but one of the dopest dudes puttin out real music. RBL joint is classic, i still remember the homie from high school hipped me to RBL.

some more G shit from nor cal Mac Dre & Luni Coleone - Gangsta Niggaz

i just recently started bumping showbiz and a.g. on the stereo, never heard them much before but they're dope.

yeah man theyre pretty underrated. Anyone in DITC is nice. This chick Marquee would rap with Lord Finesse on a few songs and she was honestly the best female rapper ive ever heard. I dont know if she wrote the verses or not but her flow was real smooth.

this story could very well be true but in general i don't trust sources who can't prove what they're saying (which is why i don't buy into conspiracy theories, for example.)

this story could very well be true but in general i don't trust sources who can't prove what they're saying (which is why i don't buy into conspiracy theories, for example.)

I understand what you're saying bro. I'm not saying that I believe this is true, but like I said I wouldn't be surprised if this happened.

You guys can discuss this in the mega rap and hip hop thread

http://www.hiphopisread.com/2012/04/secret-meeting-that-changed-rap-music.html

I wouldn't be surprised if this actually happened. Thoughts?

it's a pretty clever way to protest gangster music, but it really is all about supply and demand. rap music exists because of things like prison and poverty, and you could write this same story excepr say that prisons and lawmakers have a conspiracy to make things shitty so that new records always bang really hard.

real rap music to me (and I hate saying real rap but you know what im saying) isnt so much on the decline, theres just more bad rappers out nowadays. Especially in the internet era where exposure is everything and anyone with some cash can get front page on Datpiff. Also production is using less samples and more electronic sounds and ridiculous drum patterns.

wat

Explain?

rap music is inspired by poverty, prison, and oppression. maybe not the nerdy shit that is taking hold now, but i'm talking generally. it's music inspired by black people's experience in America thus far, which is merely bad currently, but was much worse not many generations ago.

supply and demand: the music exists because people demand it. it connects with reality and people respond to it. no one is creating a fake reality that is driving demand from the top down. there are easier, less convoluted ways to make money.

rap music is inspired by poverty, prison, and oppression. maybe not the nerdy shit that is taking hold now, but i'm talking generally. it's music inspired by black people's experience in America thus far, which is merely bad currently, but was much worse not many generations ago.

Yeah, if it's not rapping about drugs & violence, it's obviously 'nerdy shit'. Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Biz Markie, Public Enemy, they're all examples of how non-gangsta rap has been around forever. You've been listening to too much of that Dipset garbage. No offense. ;)

And being inspired and rapping about poverty, prison, and oppression is one thing. Glorifying it is something entirely different.

supply and demand: the music exists because people demand it.

No one is demanding anything. The people take what TV and Radio spoon-feeds them.

Gangsta rap has been around just as long. Kool G Rap, Big Daddy Kane, NWA, Dr Dre, Lord Finesse were all making music in the late 80s-early 90s.

Id say I like more "gangsta" rappers than "nerdy" rappers if thats how you want to classify them.

Yeah, if it's not rapping about drugs & violence, it's obviously 'nerdy shit'. Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Biz Markie, Public Enemy, they're all examples of how non-gangsta rap has been around forever. You've been listening to too much of that Dipset garbage. No offense. ;)

And being inspired and rapping about poverty, prison, and oppression is one thing. Glorifying it is something entirely different.

No one is demanding anything. The people take what TV and Radio spoon-feeds them.

whoa whoa whoa - i do listen to dipset now, but there was once a time when all i listened to was them smart rappers. truth be told, none of the rappers you listed fall under my nerdy label - that is reserved for the quasi-intellectual, ironic stuff that frankly i can't be bothered with knowing the specific artists of.

also, you give people too little credit. when something tastes bad, they spit it out - they don't continue to spend money on enjoying it. the market is push and pull - not some cynical dark master handing out left over inventory and counting dolars.

as for glorifying, you are listening to it wrong. black people probably make the same mistake and are convinced marilyn manson glorifies suicide - dont be so conveniently naive.

Im telling you guys the lack of quality production is whats really hurting rap right now. I swear after BMF came out all that stuff sounds the same to me

Status
Not open for further replies.