• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Yoga

^no prob :)

I think intro class(es) are important for beginners to learn proper form.

actually yes I can see them being of great benefit to some... your knowledge of "how to move" in general when beginning would greatly determine what/any benefit there'd be here tho (for instance, someone who was athletic to the point of knowing 'bounds/limits' in general sense, and, maybe, has lifted weights and is aware of posture of the back and things like that, will be very very okay to jump right in. If you're the type that injures yourself picking crap up w/ hunched back, yeah you prolly need remedial posture/form for anything whether running or yoga)

^ Not at all.

That is pure arrogance, and I think if you went to a Mysore style Ashtanga class, you would get touched a LOT.

It's a completely different ballgame from lifting weights and anything else you have done, and until you find yourself a guru, you are only holding yourself at teh tip of the iceberg indefinitely.

Great benefit for ALL. No ifs not buts.

no? as far as i can imagine, proper form in yoga is about maximizing the stretched-effect of the muscles, and avoiding injury. What, exactly, am i missing?
[note that if you're gonna start talking about 'chakras' and other intangible stuff, may as well just agree to disagree on this one. Yoga is relaxing and good for stretching muscles, despite the "greater" things ppl try to attribute to it]

I am not talking about chakras - just your arrogance in your knowledge of how to move properly, no one is saying you are an amateur, but to assume you cannot learn anything from a beginners yoga class is just that - arrogance and ignorant.

I have seen beautifully muscled bodies from those who only practice yoga. It is excellent for strength training. It is not just for stretching and flexibility. We are always learning, acquiring proper form and breath in our practice. I have been doing it intermittently (classes) for at least 5 years and yesterday during poses I thought I had "down", the instructor came around and corrected me which I appreciate.

So I went to one bikram yoga class thus far, but am going to do it much more in the new year.

Most poses were natural and I could do easily, however a few I just couldn't figure out by watching other people do them quickly.

How is the best way to go over my technique and form and improve and learn what I can't do?

Should I ask the instructor after the class, or is it generally necessary to book a private 1v1 lesson, to have someone physically correct your form?

^ both would work out. I personally have never had one to ones - I will as soon as it's springtime, that's really the next stage. Because as soon as you truly master ONE asana you can actually meditate, instead of just focussing, allegedly.

I do it in class all the time, though. Bikram? Wow I still have never tried that. Ashtanga is hot enough for me though haha I think Bikram would be good for preparing me to do yoga in India :p

^ hahaha mate we have that in common. Tandaaaava

Cheers for the website and free shit - that will go down well with my mates who are broke and starting up their interest in the yoga tao

1325663677_andrey-lappa-tanec-shivy.jpg

Great stuff

I was actually into Dance of Shiva before I got into Yoga, Just went to a yogashop one day and saw this funky cover and the guy who owned the shop said it was fine for beginners as it was more tai chi-ish and not physically active.
He forgot to mention it basicaly smokes your brain out and rewires it !

Glad he didnt, as I might have been scared off
7 years later whenever i pick up the dvd again its still as exciting as the first time

Still loving level 2 , but most of it is totally beyond most mortals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDeOb4t8lsI

ahhh shit you mean that dude. Yeah that's some cool shit - great body awareness...I really need to get the DVD I was just practicing the foot figure of 8s and getting some of the arm movements, and also actually using pranayama while dancing (up in, down out), which I''d been doing a bit before.

I was amazed at how he talks about repetitive spiralling motions creating electro-magnetic fields. I think I have learn as much as I can from teh site though, time for more tutoring, DVD sounds opt.

Nice one ;) I was actually talking about teh dance of shiva - the Tandava(ananda/rudra etc). From what I have seen from Andrey's stuff it is very different.

Andrey says his stuff was from some of the Arhats in Nepal and Tibet.
Basically he found some old manuscripts of it and starting to bring it back into the western world( read the intro to his book " yoga tradiition of unification" ..its simply mindblowing , its basically the best book on yoga that has been written to date)

He still says it is the original form that martial artists used, cept they used to hold lamps of hot oil while they did it, just imagining that is awesome.

Recently the only other person in the west that teaches that form is a chick in cali called Havi Brooks and she learnt it all from Lappa.

Shandor Remete says he learned a slightly different form from a wandering Sadhu in some temple grounds in Southern India, but he tends to not teach it in public. He is of the school of thought that it can only really be taught one on one.
Lappa agrees with this to some extent insofar as starting he will only put the first 2 levels on dvd, and the rest has to be taught one on one. ( It goes up to level eight )

Having seen how complicated and awesome level 2 is, I am ready to believe this

I think both are basically the same thing.
Fantastic practice nonetheless

amazing.

I will definitely have to get the DVD. I have believed for a LONG time that Shiva's dance would be something for uplift in collective consciousness, and a general part of bhakti yoga, but also can be used as a martial art, sped up, if things turn sour. I want to have this introduced to more yogis - thousands of people trained in yoga - the right kind of soldiers against the dark forces.

Thanks for the info, just about to get onto my second phase of tridosha pacifying hatha asana. Peace

This is what I have Roughjack

8 mp4 files of Andrey doing dance of shiva at various workshops in Russian
No need to know russian apart from what 1,2 3 etc mean as most of the teaching is visual
Its about 9 Hours in total , Will pop a burned dvd in post for you, and in conjunction with his DVD is really awesome and lends a lot of depth to the practice

Here is a good link on Dance of Shiva

http://www.universal-yoga.com/?id=14001

BTW ALL Yogi's MUST read this , amazing story ...one of the most inspirational stories ever. When I dont feel like practising, I just read this on my phone and I am right back in the mood again

http://www.universal-yoga.com/?id=15501

Here is a good link on Dance of Shiva

http://www.universal-yoga.com/?id=14001

Found this website of Andrey's like 6 months ago - have been working on emulating the jpegs and introducing them when I dance at raves/home; found him when was looking for a yoga martial art. Then a month ago I stumbled upon an article saying that all martial arts are based on yoga - yoga is where kung fu started!

yeah man - I will just read that again after my session...vata-pacifying hatha 30 mins coming riiiiight up.

RE: the other stuff, I will get back to you on that as soon as I get home in a few days.

OM SHANTI

The original story is DaMo was a prince from Southern India and travelled to Shaolin region and met a bunch of monks

They were very stiff from sitting down and meditating for so long that he started to tell them about yoga asanas that evolved over time to Kung Fu training drills.

So that is totally correct , all Kung Fu is evolved from Yoga

I read it was buddhist nuns that came up with kung fu, after meeting this wandering yogi from South India (tamil region I believe), they used it to fight off so and so...I cannae remember.

AIII YOGA...ASANA. SIDDHI.

Anyone else use the Pocket Yoga app? My bf is really not keen on taking fitness classes...or exercise, it's great because we can do it from home and use it on the road. Fantastic way to end or start your day.

I think it's hilarious when body builders/athletes think yoga is "for pussies" (Ive heard that many times)

I consider myself in very good shape (lift weights and cardio on a constant basis) and after an hour and a half of a yoga session, i was POURING sweat and fucking exhausted. I also felt a great endorphin release/sense of well being.

Fuck i need to get back into this shit.