• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone Mega Thread and FAQ v 2.0

youre doctor might be referring to the fact that, at equilanalgesic doses, methadone produces more euphoria (primary cause of addiction) than hydrocodone. ive never used hydrocodone so i cannot state that this is the case but its a possibility. he is probably also considering what has already been covered, that methadone wds last much longer (and you are correct about the same intensity) than hydro wds

Withdrawing from methadone or Bupe is worse than heroin for me. Pain pain and more pain.

I'll push this one over to OD, those fella's love their opies.

Why do you keep referring to methadone as a seperate entity from opiates/opioids? Methadone IS an opioid. It is a full agonist opioid, just like morphine, oxy, etc. It just has a MUCH longer half life, which is why it is good for maintenance since once daily dosing is sufficient.

Anyways, I was on ~80mg methadone per day for well over a year, and quit that cold turkey. The withdrawals lasted well over a month and physically/mentally were MUCH more intense and violent than any heroin habit I have had to quit. I have kicked IV heroin habits in jail a few times, and those were walks in the park compared to that methadone detox. Ugg, it sends chills up my spine thinking back to kicking methadone cold turkey like that.

I'd rather kick dope 10 times than methadone again just once.

i once had a habbit of 100mg of methadone ...IV a day ....when i was cut off the fucking wd didnt hit till day 7!!!!

but i got on bupoe after like 2 days on mind fuck from hell n RLS

but got back on methadone stupidly ,again i detoxed by lack of money and the dealers getting paranoid ...this time i stayed drunk for ...2 weeks ...drink all day till passing out etc ...wich resulted in a bad week and a half of alcohol crazies

BrokedownPalace,
As far as I know methadone is not a derivative of the poppy. It is synthetic. It was developed by the Germans in WWII because they had a morphine shortage. It does bind to the same receptors but it is not a true opiate. Methadone does not register on any drug test, urine, saliva, hair, blood, whatever as an opiate. It requires a different test to detect. I agree it does the same thing but I refer to it the way I do because it is NOT an opium derivative. Again, it is synthetic. But, hey you can call it what ever you want bro. Makes no difference as far as the question I asked. Thanx for your input. But I gotta ask, if it's an opiate/opioid the only difference being a longer half life, why is it, according to you "10 times harder to kick". Tells me there is something besides half life to the whole situation.
This is what I could find out bro.
http://www.blurtit.com/q9443282.html
This blurb say's methadone is a "synthetic or manmade opiate" but technicaly it is NOT an opiate. So....... whatever. Opiate or not an opiate the only time it seems to make a difference is when it comes down to withdrawals which gets back to my original question which you answered quite clearly. Thanx again.

Last edited:
Methadone is a full µ-opioid agonist. Yes, it is synthetic, but that does not change the fact that it's mode of action is very very similar to your more ' traditional ' poppy derived opiates. It has a slow metabolism and is highly fat soluble. The withdrawals are harder because of the half life, and the fact it takes a very long time for it to get out of your system. Also, people on maintenance are usually on a constant, high dose which raises your tolerance up very high. I know when I was on MMT, my tolerance to opiates (i.e, heroin) was extraordinarily high due to my high methadone dose jacking up my tolerance. Methadone doesn't 'block' other opiates in teh same sense as buprenorphine, it just raises your tolerance to the point where getting high is near impossible.

And I was using the ' 10 times as hard ' figure as just a figure of speech. My point is that it IS much more severe and longer lasting, for the reasons I already stated.

Brokedown,
I have kicked smack a time or two myself "back in the day" first detox was in 1972 at the Aquarian Effort in Sacramento. I only use prescription ops these days and only orally. I was discussing a switch with my doctor and could not get a straight answer from him so I came to Bluelight and thnx to you all I have finally gotten an accurate idea of what a switch from oxycodone to methadone would intale. What seems strange to me, especially taking in to account your info is, I have used methadone on a number of occasions for a brief period when stopping oxycodone. if I use methadone to get by the first four or five days of opiate withrawal (the really bad physically miserable days) I am spared all of the worst of the physical bullshit related to stopping opiates. No runny nose, sneezing, cramps, diahrea, aches and pains. After four or five days I drop the methadone and am left with only slight physical discomfort, a lot of insomnia and of course the craving and depression. I have not had the "pleasure" of having to kick a methadone habit I guess because I have never used it longer than nine or ten days in a row. So (honestly Brokedown I'm not trying to butt heads with you) it just seems odd that methadone gets me over the worst of kicking. If it was an opiate it seems that taking it for the first four or five days of wd would leave me in the same place. I would still have to go through getting really sick when I drop the methadone. But that is just not the case. I use 150-200mg a day of oxy when the "train is rolling" I've done that amount for up to a year without a break and used methadone as I described and kicking was a breeze compared to cold turkey which I would not wish on my worst enemey. Anyway, I don't have anything to gain by bullshitting anyone and what I described (if I made myself clear) is the truth.

I keep hearing that withdrawing from methadone is tougher than withdrawing from opiates. My question is, which aspect is harder. Is it the physical wd's or the mental wd's. Do you go through the diahrea, sneezing, runny nose, aches and pains worse or is it the anxiety, insomnia, mind-fuck aspect that's harder OR is it a combination of both that is worse? I take methadone when out of opiates or to get over the first four or five days of wd's when taking a forced or intentional break from opiates but I've never taken it longer than 9 or 10 days and have never noticed any wd's from using methadone for that short of period. What say you?

Withdrawal is withdrawal. Everyone experiences it differently though.

The only reason Methadone withdrawal is worse is because of it's very long half life. If you have been on Methadone for sometime it build up in your system, and it takes a long time for you body to rid itself of the compound.

You don't notice any withdrawals because you use it for a few days and start using another opiate/opiod. Don't touch any kind of opiate or opiod for a few days and then you will feel withdrawal.

Withdrawal from methadone was more mental with me, but honestly it was not the hell I had been expecting, I dropped it cold turkey, was forced off it at a rehab, with no subtex to aide me, just phenobarbital. The worst thing was the sleep, I stayed up weeks on end it was ridiculous, and I guess there was some restless leg syndrome going on to but I never felt like I wanted to completely tear my skin off, just very anxious and depressed. This was coming off of being on 90 mg for a year.

Obviously this will not be the case for everyone, a doctor recommended I be put on methadone maintenance when I was nineteen after I overdosed, at the time all I could think was " fuck yeah! Methadone gets me high! I'll get high everyday." of course that was not the case after about a week. So what I'm saying is that methadone is usually used as a last resort, but this doctor recommended it as a preemptive measure which was dumb because I was just chipping away at the time, hardly had a habit. I find that the more times you become addicted though the quicker and harder the withdrawal forms so if I got on methadone now, I imagine it would be much harder coming off

Last edited:
Gonna merge this with the methadone megathread for prosperity.

i have been on MMT for almost 2 months. Up to 60 and still crave but i puked like mad 3 hours after dose today..now what...i need more to stop craving right... but hate puking.. (how do you spell that anyway..lol).thats what got me to stop in the first place...anyone know if this will stop. will it get worse if i go up...

i keep posting in wrong places..dam newbies...anyway ill post it there too i guess...sorry all

I find that the more times you become addicted though the quicker and harder the withdrawal forms so if I got on methadone now, I imagine it would be much harder coming off

You are absolutely right on this as I can tell you from experience. I was first prescribed methadone in 1972 at VA hosp in Miami. The dr said it was a "miracle drug" for vets coming home with wounds and "adjustment disorder"... which of course they now call PTSD. I'v ebeen on and off ever since and each time trying to quit was worse. I finally switched to subs to save a long drive and money. It would likely either kill me or I would end up back on a locked ward which is what happened last time I tried. I believe dr's get people on ORT far more often than they should. I some times wonder if that first dr would have started tapering me off after a couple of mos if my life would have been much different. I'm not blaming the dr because he likely believed what he said and I always had the choice to taper and stop... but after you've been on it for a significant period... it's tough to not only get off but even harder to stay off. If the VA released stats on how many vets are on ORT, or pain mgt with opiates... IMO the public would be shocked. Once you get off, it doesn't take much of a trigger to get you back on again.

JSPete... could you help me put this question out there.. I'm not good with the way BL works, I love all the info and help I get from it and I am hoping to get an answer from a Bluelighter... I am in MMT, loving it..but want the doc to add a scrip of something that will give me energy, motivate...I dare to say ... I miss the hyperness (I know it sounds weird..but a lil H or a bunch of oxy would give me drive...motivation...hyperness) ... my life is getting better by the day since Methadone but am hoping there is something I can take to add to it...

JSPete... could you help me put this question out there.. I'm not good with the way BL works, I love all the info and help I get from it and I am hoping to get an answer from a Bluelighter... I am in MMT, loving it..but want the doc to add a scrip of something that will give me energy, motivate...I dare to say ... I miss the hyperness (I know it sounds weird..but a lil H or a bunch of oxy would give me drive...motivation...hyperness) ... my life is getting better by the day since Methadone but am hoping there is something I can take to add to it...

p.s. what is Concerta???

Well even if this were my area of expertise, I couldn't advise you on how to talk your way into specific prescriptions, and nor can anyone else since it's simply against the rules. You might have to score H/opiates off the street, and well if you do that, you might as well start all over again

Concerta (methylphenidate)

Well even if this were my area of expertise, I couldn't advise you on how to talk your way into specific prescriptions, and nor can anyone else since it's simply against the rules. You might have to score H/opiates off the street, and well if you do that, you might as well start all over again

Concerta (methylphenidate)

C...that's exactly what I don't want to do.. I have an anxiety disorder and have suffered from depression all my life. I was on anti-depressants and lorazapam but stopped to choose MMT. I know that Concerta... methylphenidate...or what ever....exists... but do you know what it does or if it will help me etc is more what I meant by the p.s.

I go to a methadone clinic. My dose is at 110. I have no cravings at all.
I'm only at 70 so far maybe a raise is all i will need. cheers and thanks... hope it will all fall into place when i'm at your dose! xoxo

C...that's exactly what I don't want to do.. I have an anxiety disorder and have suffered from depression all my life. I was on anti-depressants and lorazapam but stopped to choose MMT. I know that Concerta... methylphenidate...or what ever....exists... but do you know what it does or if it will help me etc is more what I meant by the p.s.

Well it could provide a non-opiate alternative to give you that kick you're looking for. But realistically you won't get that prescribed unless you can convince your doctor that you've had untreated ADHD your whole life. And tbh if you're currently on his/her list for methadone maintenance then they'll be very suspicious of any potentially 'drug seeking' claims like that...