Ex-Bluelighter
Pros of opiates.

No damage to body
Makes life worthwhile
Feels really good
No moral problems, its your body
Exercising your rights despite the current prohibition curtailing those rghts

Cons

Stupid rightwing moralist puritancal government fucks stepping on our personal rights punish users with legalised violence, kidnapping and imprisonment.

Can anyone add to these, or make any other argument that one, who wants to use, should not use opiates and be high everyday?

Well u listed general pros and cons. I had set my own intentions regarding opiate use/addiction.

personal pros - got rid of my unconscious thoughts/chatter, allowed me to hang out & connect w people, thus riddng certain preconceived notions and judgments, adventure, suffering made me more compassionate and empathetic, calmed me down (was manic and had to exercise like 4 hrs a bad or was angry), helped me to be a participant in normal/mainstream activities

cons- near death, couple ER trips, several legal issues, driving privileges suspended at times, multiple car accidents, um like a least 300,000k spent (including cocaine/crack addictions), failed relationships, failed business/job, toxic build up from not necessarily h but from fillers and suboxone, and all the other pharms I took to try to end the addiction

Pros:

life is worthwhile and always will be with opioids existing :) (ain't that fucking awesome!!!), good relaxant, in my opinion actually BUILDS confidence, unhappiness (only usual mortals, not us!!!!) I get a massive fucking ego-kick from using opiates for years and years and not getting massively addicted. I kind of feel like a semi-god from this.

Cons:

Physical WDs occur at times (rarely), and sometimes lack of energy/drive the day after (makes me make less money, but hey, who cares)

Potentially lethal (biggest issue)

^ Lol. Yeah i have been using opies for 6 years now and the only WD i have ever had was some minor RLS on only two occasions. Longest run ive had in 6 years was 6 days straight of use, so ive never even used for a week straight once before. Ussually 2 times a week for me still.

Nothing to add really as it all seems obvious to me; Well one huge positive is the fact i can be comfortable around people and/or get a motivation boost stronger than stims even. Except with stims you will put that motivation to use with opies you just enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Having said that still much more functional on opies.

I think the pro and con's dramatically change depending on the nature of the addiction and length of use... Alot of what you guys are saying def dont last long term.. In the end it becomes ALL cons.... Most people have to experience this themselves saying it does no justice..

the only opiate worth long term use is a long acting one like methadone or bupe IMO; Unless you enjoy being strung out on short acting ones forever thats cool too but good luck

I think y'all got most of the pros down, but y'all are ignoring a lot of cons.

Cons:
-You care about getting high more than family, friends, etc.
-Addiction (being addicted to anything sucks imo)
-It takes your soul
-Takes large chunks of your memory. There are many parties and places people tell me stories about that I have no memory attending.
-Expensive
-Bladder problems
-Constipation

Let's face it guys, most of y'all are currently addicted so you're not going to admit a lot of the cons. I'm sure other people in our lives that we've screwed over because of opiates could list a lot more.

I think this will fit into DC much better...

---> DC

I think the pro and con's dramatically change depending on the nature of the addiction and length of use... Alot of what you guys are saying def dont last long term.. In the end it becomes ALL cons.... Most people have to experience this themselves saying it does no justice..

the only opiate worth long term use is a long acting one like methadone or bupe IMO; Unless you enjoy being strung out on short acting ones forever thats cool too but good luck

Poppy Pod Tea gives a good high and lasts long, so I don't have to worry about withdrawal between doses. It is also cheap and minimum hassle to obtain.

this is all personal opinion/how my opiate use affects me

pros:
pain relief
euphoria
great sleep
easier to be motivated to do things

cons:
falling into addiction again
money
doing shitty things (stealing money, etc.)

Pros:
I don't feel like listing any, in the end you're only trying to convince yourself.
"I won't stop doing because of.." and the list goes on until you crash, some day.

OK, I won't generalise anything, but this was the case for me. Not doing any opiats anymore because the cold truth is,
it's either everything or nothing. What you consider as acceptable varies so much from person to person.

Cons:
Simply not being yourself while on a substance. I don't change THAT much, but people will notice or know sooner or later.
Word of mouth. Prejudices. Face it, you simply can't blame other people from not wanting to see you, if they know you'll most likely be high.
People will start to avoid you when they know you shoot up, even if it's once a week and in "control".
Painting an image of someone important doing something so disgusting in their mind, WILL change the way the see you.
Frustration will follow and if you ignore their efforts of trying to help, sooner or later you'll find yourself pretty much alone.

Your personality will slowly, but surely fade away. Eventually you'll be faceless.
Before you saw other people as examples of an addict, and if you don't stop in time, eventually you'll be the one.
After that it'll be much easier to simply forfeit and accept it, than to fight out from the only thing that keeps you on track.

WELL AREN'T YOU PESSIMISTIC!
Yeah, I know it. I have to be as I wouldn't be here otherwise, it's the thing that doesn't make me go back.
My story isn't anything special, and by that I mean relatively easy.
18 months of Subutex snorted once or twice a week. I thought I was, or could be THE example of that casual use of opiats do work.
Out of nowhere something so hard hits you, that the only options you see are to numb it down, or end yourself.
I still don't judge myself from the decision, probably never will.
Nonetheless, 8 months of daily IV use turned my life upside down. Permanently.
The damage done not only to myself but others alone make me shiver.

Obviously I never saw this coming. That's why it hit me so hard.
My friends only consumed alcohol & cannabis. Trying to sit in to the junkie world alone was so out of reach & eye-opening.
I just hope I could provoke a thought or even two, especially if you see anything alike in your life situation.

Pros of opiates.

No damage to body
Makes life worthwhile
Feels really good
No moral problems, its your body
Exercising your rights despite the current prohibition curtailing those rghts

Opioids do cause damage to the body. They are often snorted or injected which can cause long term damage. Heroin in particular poses a lot of risks, including increased risk of contracting HIV, kidney damage, and (from smoking heroin) leukoencephalopathy.

Don't get me wrong, I love opioids, but perpetuating the idea that any drug is safe is just flat out dangerous.

Opioids do cause damage to the body. They are often snorted or injected which can cause long term damage. Heroin in particular poses a lot of risks, including increased risk of contracting HIV, kidney damage, and (from smoking heroin) leukoencephalopathy.

Don't get me wrong, I love opioids, but perpetuating the idea that any drug is safe is just flat out dangerous.

In the examples you noted here the opiate wasnt the culprit at all. All you did was list some of the more damaging ways to take opiates, smoking, injecting street drugs. Then bringing up the HIV issue like its specific to just opioids lol.

Now nobody claimed opioids were safe you put them words in that posters mouth, he claimed opioids dont damage the body, and thats a fairly hard claim to prove wrong. Prohibition is responsible for all the issues you noted, not opioids at all.

If users were IV'ing or IM'ing sterile ampules of heroin solution with perfectly clean equipment and such the only true damage that's going to be caused is the physical disturbance of stainless steel penetrating a vein or muscle, that damage is not caused by the drug itself. And of course there's opioids which have a great oral bioavailability, which would cut out the highly technique dependant damage caused by the needle.

One more thing opioids of course cause many changes in the entire body, but this is very different to damage.

So the author of that post made a legitamate claim man..

I don't think that anyone can say opiates are one hundred percent safe, but I do believe that opiates are a safer substance than most.

I know that we sometimes joke about the constipation, but uh, severe constipation is not all that funny and can lead to yet even less funny complications like hemorrhoids.

I suppose opiates are unique in that, having taken a safe dose, you'll walk away generally unscathed, but having taken a less responsible dose, well, you might not walk away at all. It also has that physical dependence and addiction aspect to it that can make one's chances of overdosing, eventually, a more real possibility.

I don't know, but that's my two cents...

Ive tried Methadone & its a drug I would not wanna do every day. I dont enjoy the high like I do with other opiates.

to echo a few other users,

CONS:

physical dependence/ugly withdrawal symptoms

expensive (for those not legtimately prescribed who have prescription and health coverage)

risk of overdose

not unique to opiates, but generally feeling like you can't enjoy life/have fun w/out the drug

lots of others, especially incidental common phenomena that are not necessarily caused by opiates, but seem to occur in a large segment of using population (e.g., poor hygiene, more prone to criminal activity such as stealing to support habit, effect on relationships w/ others, etc.)

The most obnoxious con that I can think of other than what verso mentioned is the fact that when I do opiates I can't seem to pee for hours, no matter how much I have to; it just doesn't work.

My friends only consumed alcohol & cannabis. Trying to sit in to the junkie world alone was so out of reach & eye-opening.
I just hope I could provoke a thought or even two, especially if you see anything alike in your life situation.

Great point. When I was addicted half the time I was by myself gettin high, alone, wishing I was with my friends at a party drinking/smoking. I didn't like mixing it with weed or alcohol and I didn't like to tease myself talking to girls since I couldn't bust a nut high, so while I was enjoying the nod I missed so much of my college life being alone in my room. Now that I'm sober I feel like I'm more in touch with the world. THAT BEING SAID, I still like to pop a couple roxis after a long day of studying on adderall..nothing like opiates on an amp comedown :0

Thank god my hookup only can spare me a few roxis a month, otherwise I probably would fall into old habits.

In the examples you noted here the opiate wasnt the culprit at all. All you did was list some of the more damaging ways to take opiates, smoking, injecting street drugs. Then bringing up the HIV issue like its specific to just opioids lol.

Now nobody claimed opioids were safe you put them words in that posters mouth, he claimed opioids dont damage the body, and thats a fairly hard claim to prove wrong. Prohibition is responsible for all the issues you noted, not opioids at all.

If users were IV'ing or IM'ing sterile ampules of heroin solution with perfectly clean equipment and such the only true damage that's going to be caused is the physical disturbance of stainless steel penetrating a vein or muscle, that damage is not caused by the drug itself. And of course there's opioids which have a great oral bioavailability, which would cut out the highly technique dependant damage caused by the needle.

One more thing opioids of course cause many changes in the entire body, but this is very different to damage.

So the author of that post made a legitamate claim man..

I stand corrected, but I'd like to leave you with a thought. While in theory opioids CAN be used safely with no adverse effects, I have seen them used unsafely many a time. So I guess what I should say is that the drugs themselves are not dangerous, but the manner in which they are frequently used can certainly cause long term adverse effects.

Speaking for myself, the pro's:

Euphoria. This one everyone can relate to, I think. I've tried a hell of a lot of drugs, and none of them match a opiates for providing immediate and overriding happiness (except arguably meth, but it always felt like you pay a lot more for the meth high than you do the opiate high). No matter how pissed off you are, no matter how tired or bored or unhappy you are, opiates will fix it, and sometimes we all need a bit of self medication, or something to look forward to after a long day.

Pain relief. This is a big one for me, since I've had back problems for a number of years, but opiates provide a level of relief I don't get anywhere else. Without the ability to at least temporarily escape from my back pain and have some level of control over it, it would be much harder to deal with.

And cons:

Money! I shudder to even think of how much of my money has gone into opiates over the last 2 years. Of course even before that I would spend a lot on drugs, but opiates took it up to a whole new level because I'd use whenever possible, instead of restricting it (mostly) to weekends like I did with other drugs.

Withdrawal. I've fortunately managed to avoid a serious habit, though I've had some extensive binges, but even after 4 or 5 days of consecutive use (nevermind a week or a month), I feel pretty horrible for 48 hours or so. Aches, depression, fatigue, and forget even getting out of my room and doing something productive. Fortunately I live in a country where codeine is OTC, so if I have to I can do a CWE for a day or two to bring myself down a bit more smoothly.

Danger. I've been fairly fortunate in avoiding overdoses (other than one time, fucking fentanyl :| ), but even as careful as I am when it comes to measuring doses and poly-drug use, there's always some slight risk that something could go wrong, or I could fuck up.

Effects on personality and lifestyle. This is the major one, and I think the one that a lot of people overlook, since it's slow and subtle, but opiates tend to override a lot of other aspects of someones personality. They inspire a particularly obsessive devotion in their users, to the point where it begins to blot out other parts of their life. You start pouring all your money into opiates, and you have less for the other things in life you used to enjoy, and possibly even just for the basics of life. It's easy to neglect hobbies, aspirations, relationships, responsibilities, because why work on those things that might make you feel a little good, or make you happy down the track, when you could go get high and feel 'really' good, right now. Why spend the time and money to go out with friends, or to a concert, or on a holiday, when you could have just as much fun sitting at home with a bag of drugs and a needle? Opiates make you feel better than anything else, but they ask for everything else in return.