• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Backyard Vegetable Gardening & Livestock Raising & Sustainable Living

detergent, are you in florida?
I need to grow some coconuts.
How long does it take ( in your experience ) until harvest from the very start.
The meat is soo tasty.
I also love the milk in a can

Nope, am in Southeast Asia. It depends on the variety! Mine usually do at 2 years. They are so yum!

I'd like some seeds! :D

id totally be down for a seed swap :D

not sure if our climates would react the same, but it would be fun to try none the less. i SO miss american beefsteak tomatoes, and theyre simply not available here.

i bet i could round up some aussie treats for yall too <3

...kytnism...:|

I've saved seed from a large paste tomato that is great for cooking down into a sauce. I'd share a few of them with anyone who wants to try them. Pm me for some if interested.

I read something today about needing to ferment tomato seeds to remove the gunk that covers them before drying and storing. Do you do anything like this with yours or just dry and store?
I've just put some seeds away from something that looks very much like a marmande beef steak tomato but didn't use this process. Hopefully they will keep. I just tried to remove as much of the residue as possible by hand and by washing before drying them. If they don't I should hopefully have some fruit by the end of the summer anyway to try it all again.

When I have more time I hope to dig around this thread a bit more!
Kytn, your plants look great!

Does anyone have experience living off the grid?
If so, did you own your property? Did you save to purchase your property outright or did you continue to work while living there and pay rent/mortgage? I'd have more questions but ill see if anyone responds to that first :)

Man this page is pic heavy and crashes my phone... Anyway. Yes, I did ferment the saved tomato seeds. There are multiple reasons to do so but the big two are to get rid of the gel which can inhibate sprouting and it helps eliminate disease. If you are having a hard time getting yours to germinate you can try potasium nitrate (saltpeter) mixed 1/2 tsp in a quart of water and either presoak seed or water flats with it to soften the seed coat. It isn't labled as organic but I've used it and it seemed to help.

So what about that seed swap? Actually might be viable (haw haw) in any place except aus, the rules to ship there are so tight

If i recall correctly, you can't send beans, beets and something else to 0z. I'd be up for a swap, but figured since you didn't pm me you didn't want seeds. Seems we should make another thread for that.

Alright I'll make a separate thread for that. We can post what's available, etc in our areas. I don't live in the US but frequently have friends going back and forth so I can use a US address to post and receive. I hope there are other Asians interested as we'll!

my yard is covered in snow. but i said "my yard." so come spring -- or whenever you gotta start getting ready -- i'm gonna be all up in this thread. i wanna grow tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, and prettyass flowers.

as soon as the snow melts you gotta get ready. whats that soil like? do you have a designated spot to start? we barely made it in with our daffodil bulbs.

i figured i'd probably have to start getting ready better it's warm and pretty outside. i do have a spot in mind, but factors like soil and sun can vary enough from one part of my back yard to another, i'm very willing to consider moving the whole operation a bit to left. it's not a huge yard.

is determining what the soil's like as simple as sticking a shovel in the ground once it's not frozen? or do i pick up a ph tester from a low's kinda place? if your soil is no good, you can just do raised beds, right? maybe there is nothing "just" about that installation. i gotta backtrack in this thread a bit someday and see what's already been covered.

i'm assuming bluelight black today as the annual day of remembrance. hopefully not because we lost someone new. i do see some recent additions to the shrine. there have been so many unfortunate bluelighter deaths. rip.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'll post some photos from the herb garden we are planning to do this spring / summer when the time comes. :)

Home cooked food with fresh herbs is a wonderful thing! Also, can't wait for fresh grown strawberries and rhubarb for pie. I've just made myself hungry. :sus:

i figured i'd probably have to start getting ready better it's warm and pretty outside. i do have a spot in mind, but factors like soil and sun can vary enough from one part of my back yard to another, i'm very willing to consider moving the whole operation a bit to left. it's not a huge yard.

is determining what the soil's like as simple as sticking a shovel in the ground once it's not frozen? or do i pick up a ph tester from a low's kinda place? if your soil is no good, you can just do raised beds, right? maybe there is nothing "just" about that installation. i gotta backtrack in this thread a bit someday and see what's already been covered.

i'm assuming bluelight black today as the annual day of remembrance. hopefully not because we lost someone new. i do see some recent additions to the shrine. there have been so many unfortunate bluelighter deaths. rip.

yes lots of dead people, and sadly they are two people i kind of liked. even though one was sort of vulgar. you can pick up a cheap ph tester at home depot or what not, and get things to adjust accordingly. like my blueberries like some acid ass soil, so i had to amend it for them. you can always do raised beds to create the soil you want without much effort. I like my lasagna beds for that. But you're looking to plant pretty easy vegetables. I would still test the soil, because despite how easy vegetables are, they still don't like sour soil.

I'm going to expand my garden this year by doing a haybale garden. Anyone else done one of these?

Bought a nice little golden cherry tomato on the weekend, and already have it in and staked. Hopefully it's not a hybrid and I will be able to save some seeds. They label doesn't indicate if it is or not, so I might have to keep an eye out for some good seeds of unusual cherries. Need to buy some mulch too but I'm yet to decided what I am going to use. There is a gravel path right next to that bed and I don't want straw or sugarcane mulch to be blowing around all over the place. I need to figure out some sort of a better edge there too because it's been built up and when I water it just washes soil straight onto the path.

12957982203_6e14f93fd0_c.jpg

^I've got about three seasons out of some yellow cherry tomato seed and they don't seem to vary, must've been heirloom. Pretty tasty when you let them fully ripen. They didn't yield much but my technique was far from optimal.