The productions thread - Part III!

i can't play play along with my own stuff live or read sheet music. just use a midi controller to feel out basic melody, bassline, chord progression. then go back into fl studio and tweak it that way.

also in fl studio you can set it to a certain chord or scale which is nice. i have no knowledge of music theory, just going by ear.

Nice sound and title.

Im sure somewhere in this thread it has been discussed but lazy so will ask anyway. Do you find FL Studio superior to the other software out there Joe? I always thought Ableton seemed the best but really am not sure.

from personal experience I say that what you like best is best. you need to try it before you know. I use Ableton Live and I like it for it's simplicity. FL studio I tried a handful of times and disliked it (don't remember why, was years ago).

yea, i agree with bagseed.

if you are familiar with "burial" he just uses an audio editor which is literally mad genius insane. so if you ever do, and i encourage it, just try the free trial of which ever DAW and twiddle some knobs.

i just stick with FL because of familiarity.

Nice sound and title.

Im sure somewhere in this thread it has been discussed but lazy so will ask anyway. Do you find FL Studio superior to the other software out there Joe? I always thought Ableton seemed the best but really am not sure.

Ableton is the most popular one but it's not the "best". It's all personal preference. I've heard some real bangers on both fl studio and reason. I tried both fl studio and reason. I stuck with reason purely because of the interface.

I stick with FL studio for 15 years of familiarity, and the fact I have learned 'to break out of the box' in every way that I can possibly want, while it also manages to have an elegant tether to the box as a 'suggestion' to paint within the lines so that shit doesn't get too wild too easily. If you know what I mean you might be an IDM/glitch/omnitempo future bass whatever producer.

Last edited:
^ that's one track ? very very very funky, haven't heard anything like it. i like your drums and percussion a lot, got a ill swingin groove... "organic" the way it works with those glitchy elements and "stays" together is wild.

sunday afternoon sesh

What do you mean 'that's one song?' Does it sound like multiple songs, or a mashup?

But yeah thanks for appreciation, most people's comments are also that they hadn't heard anything like it before, and the funny thing is I hadn't either before I made the thing!

Looking forward to dropping the final version with the rest of the album. One song is a remix of an old song from '67 called 'Sunshine, Lollipops,and Rainbows' I have an idea for a music video for it....

Anybody have recommendations for labels that would like this kind of experimental-but-danceable music, like IDM-meets-EDM?

i fuck with it, like i usually pull back and kinda ride one main element from start to end. u take the scenic route, winding path, detours... once the destination is reached i forgot where we departed from... know what im saying ? not knockin it, just expanding on my "that's one song?" Q

I get you. It has always been my style to make it a journey that ends somewhere it didn't start, for the most part. 'It's a feature, not a bug' ha. But I do love a lot of the more 'straight' EDM. I am working on a couple songs that are *a little* less wild, in fact Ill upload one tomorrow here for some feedback.

a cool morning mist lingered as i awoke to dabs and beats. the synergy is strong in this one...

where the beats @ !!! keepin em comin over here. ima rock.

Thats funny I feel the opposite about the grid and I actually love how sequenced techno sounds. A lot of times I'll sketch out drum ideas in ultrabeats step sequencer before i get all fancy and multiroute/bus/sum stack all the drum kit pieces.

[–]thrisp
Are you German?

[–]SkubiBeats
Not at all, half jewish from the midwest!

[–]thrisp
There's nothing German producers love more than making sure no sound isn't rigidly quantized to 16th notes

Last edited:
Randy Seidman - Intuition (Incl. Remixes by Chris Micali & 8Kays) [Intricate]

My latest tune is out on Intricate! First time I’ve used my own vocals, so it was a very fun project! The release includes amazing remixes by Chris Micali and 8Kays. Hope you dig!

Support from: Markus Schulz, Judge Jules, Darin Epsilon, Jaytech, and Kenneth Thomas.

Beatport: http://btprt.dj/2c4tpEJ
Youtube: http://bit.ly/2bx2dN3
Soundcloud: http://bit.ly/2bMBz8A

Thank you for checking it out!
Randy

:: More about Randy ::

Website
Open House Podcast
Twitter
Facebook
Beatport

wtg randy. big up on taking that step and using your own vocals. artist like dbridge, jon convex... moodymann... really respect em for doing that as well. opens up a ton of possibilities.

last one, i promise. never experienced a period this rich in creativity before.

Joe, thats really good. Im not big on the whole rap in electronic stuff, but even that here works well.