• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Opioid Withdrawal Megathread and FAQ

If you haven't noticed by now, I highly reccomend Kratom. It real is a Godsend.And Kratom is alot easier to get off of then H. Try it. It sure beats the heck out of H w/d.Do yourself a favor .There's alot of things available to ease w/d symptoms. Don't go to SUbs or any H synthetics the w/d from those are said to be even worse.I'll keep u in my thoughts. you can do this..And use some aides to help with your symptoms. There's no sense in suffering any more then you've already.. *Major huggage to you*

I second Kratom for WD. It's like a magic bullet but it does have a dark side. If you use it to get high for more than 10 days or so you'll have to deal with K withdrawals and they can be very, very ugly. I have yet to successfully detox from Kratom because I end up using it daily for months on end then I can't quit it without going through hell. I'm trying a Lope taper right now.

As long as you're aware that Kratom can lead to its own addiction, you should be using it to quit. Hell, even if you did get addicted to it (which I don't recommend), your life is still 100 times more functional than being on any opiate.

I'm not sure whether or not I was experiencing an "opiate hangover" or withdrawal. A couple of weeks ago I took H, probably too much for my first time. I had 3 wax paper hits over a course of three hours and ended up being very sick. The next day I had one hit, much more stronger than the 3 I did the day before. Also got sick. The next day, I was having flu-like symptoms. I would push the covers off only to put them back on a few minutes later. I felt depressed, I got frustrated at everything, I felt nauseated the whole day. I decided to go cold turkey before I kept up the cycle with this horrible drug. I'm a big OC fan, so I thought H would be tolerable. Boy was I wrong. Can anyone give me some more insight on what I ACTUALLY went through the next day? H isn't all it's made out to be and I am satisfied with cannabis, I am also going into pharmaceuticals which were my reasons for stopping so early. I know I didn't take enough H to be an "addict," but you have to take in account all of the percocet I was doing beforehand.

Last edited:
^IMO, opiate WD. Must have been from all of the OCs and Percs before the dope that contributed. The symptoms are virtually the same for opiate pharms and dope, but the duration of WD will vary depending on the specific half life of the particular drug.

DOXEPIN. (Sinequan). I love this shit as do many other ppl in recovery.

Sleep is always impossible to come by during WD and is what makes me relapse before anything else. I once went 8 days without sleep during WD before I broke down and copped. Insomnia SUCKS SO HARD and I feel you. This was prescribed to me and everyone else w/sleep probs in REHAB. I was dubious of an anti - depressant being helpful. After all, I was prescribed ambien (zolpidem) for years which sucked for long term use bc of tolerance. Anyway everyone loved their Sinequan and took between 75mgs-200mgs every night. It works right away the first night and will make you sleep so deep and well for a full 8 hours. I wake up groggy but it lifts abruptly within 5-10 minutes of waking.

**I thought at age 29 I knew all there was to know about sleeping meds both OTC and prescription. I thought I was fucked after my decade long run with H and methodone, especially with sleep. Currently I take absolutely NO opiates or maintenance meds, just Doxepin at night. Give this a try before you give up! It is non addictive in the traditional sense and has helped the heaviest of users.

P.S Just so everyone knows, if you are an opiate addict and in a pinch, loperamide (immodium) and most heart burn meds like Zantec (300)mgs ) together will allow the loperamide to cross the Blood brain barrier. It will take away 80-90% of your WD symptoms. You will need to take a dosage of lope upwards of 30mgs + .

I hope this helps and wish you luck. This road aint easy but you don't need to suffer needlessly :) Be Good

Last edited:
Has anyone ever taken diphenhydramine for restless legs during wds and made them way more severe? I always see people suggest Benadryl to people who are detoxing but it always makes my RLS 1000x worse for some reason...
Such an obscure symptom RLS is...

Has anyone ever taken diphenhydramine for restless legs during wds and made them way more severe? I always see people suggest Benadryl to people who are detoxing but it always makes my RLS 1000x worse for some reason...
Such an obscure symptom RLS is...

It'll for sure make your RLS worse. Though, for me, as long as I keep it under 50mg I'm ok. It's pretty useless during the acute stage of the withdrawal. At proper therapeutic doses it's not strong enough to provide sufficient sedation for sleep, and at higher doses it makes the withdrawal feel even worse.

How do you stop this madness? I was without pills for 36 hours and I'm typing this from an er bed getting hydromorphone shots... And then it will begin again... The insomnia is what kills me, I woke up every 20 minutes lastnite for the 3 hours I slept. My body especially my legs want to crawl out of my skin. My anxiety is crazy high, and nothing helps. Ativan doesn't do anything for me. I have lunesta and that doesnt even put me to sleep.
I want this to stop. I've been on hydrocodone for 2 years straight, I take 60-80mg a day. I've tried every opiate minus heroin. I just want this to stop. I've tried so many times, but can't get past 3 days tops. Anyone have suggestions? Anything help RLS and insomnia?

There are pure dopamine agonists like ropinirole (ReQuip) that are prescribed for RLS. Gabapentin and other neuroleptics as well as, to some degree, mild doses of anticholinergics such as Benadryl can help. Mostly it's just about sucking it up and getting through the week of hell it entails, knowing it will end and you'll feel loads better soon. I've done cold turkey from high doses (multiple grams of H per day) more times than I can count, and it sucks every time. Benzos are definitely helpful if you can manage to get some, as well as staying hydrated and active. You probably won't sleep for 3-4 days really. You may not keep anything down. It's unlikely you'll bathe or be productive in any way. But it does get better.

It'll for sure make your RLS worse. Though, for me, as long as I keep it under 50mg I'm ok. It's pretty useless during the acute stage of the withdrawal. At proper therapeutic doses it's not strong enough to provide sufficient sedation for sleep, and at higher doses it makes the withdrawal feel even worse.

High doses of anticholinergics have an adverse effect on helping with RLS symptoms. like d1ahp said, keep it under 50-75mg and you shouldn't experience an increase in symptoms.

High doses of anticholinergics have an adverse effect on helping with RLS symptoms. like d1ahp said, keep it under 50-75mg and you shouldn't experience an increase in symptoms.

Just my 2 cents again. Also be very careful some of your w/d symptoms aren't actually self induced severe anxiety or panic attacks because you are scared,I have seen this in myself ALOT. I get so afraid that I'm going to go through w/d and dread it so much that I actually caused worse symptoms than i really had.Once I calmed down a bit this eased up considerably.I am not saying this is all in your head, Just that the right frame of mind when tackling w/d is the best way to do it. I had pep talks even to help me start my taper. went from 400mg hydo a day.60-100 E.R. Mmorphine and any Oxy I could find in between. I am currently just taking 80mg of Hydro a day. After they r gone and if w/d returns,I'll start using Kratom and taper off of that. I tried Kratom with the Hydros and it was like some little war going on between them.I didn't like it at all.And was better off w/o K,and just do the taper.I've been desreasing my meds gradually this past week.I'm not 100% nor am I crawling outta my skin as you are Bellao52.I hope everyone is doing better. Please chime in on an update.. I'm praying for everyone caught in this nightmare. *Empathy HUgs to all!*

I am new at this, so here is my rant.

Some little tricks that helped me...
- vitamin C gummies- I took that max mg you should take daily, about 6 gummies. There is a lot of inconclusive evidence about C but I wanted to try it anyway.
- Vitamin B complex/ multi-vitamin- I researched each vitamin in my supplement and what it does, it may be mental, but I believed it helped my body and brain. Different vitamins can restore cell function, help brain restoration, restlessness, leg cramps, lethargy... I took a page of notes I should find and start sharing in threads for the scientific explanations. I would discuss with a doctor or the pharmacist because taking too much of particular vitamins could do damage to your body (spoken from a pill abuser, but we are trying to be healthy, right?)
- Antidepressants/ Xanax- I am prescribed them regularly but through my addiction, went on and off. I made sure I took them every day. The xanax (.5 mg) helped significantly for me, lay in bed and actually relax. I have never abused my xanax script and only use them if I think I really need them with the exact dose.
- Lots of water- for my first 3 days cold, I forced myself to drink. I wanted all the toxins out of me. I wanted my body hydrated to function and start healing.
- Healthy foods- I cut sugar, breads, and carbs out. The body normal reacts to glucose by crashing after a large intake so I tried to avoid this at all costs during withdrawal. I ate avocado, almonds, milk, cheese, yogurt, foods high in fat and low in sugar. I wanted to give my body any chance to get nutrients. Eating may be hard, but a handful of almonds will get you a long way.
- Bath/ hot shower- Somehow, I managed to get myself up, and sit in the tub. This took all my energy the first day. But I felt relief and mentally imagined the drugs seeping out of my skin. The Xanax helped make this possible too, I could relax.
- By the 3rd day, I made myself go for a walk- I can't believe what a difference it makes to get in some light exercise and nature. I read various studies about being outside, sunlight, even related to withdrawal. I sat outside for an hour one day, and the time flew by. I was thinking positive thoughts, watching the animals, listening to the sounds. For someone who felt like they were dying, this gave life to me.
- Night Sweats- This is one of my favorite tricks. No matter how many over the counter fever reducers I took, it just wouldn’t help. I ended up sick and tired of waking up and not sleeping because of the hot to cold my body was experiencing. I put on my Nike workout shirt, the sweat prevention ones, and I slept all through the night as it soaked up my moisture and let out my body heat. I can’t believe how something so little, made a huge improvement on my life and sleep.
Sleep- I have read numerous studies on sleep. Even, just laying in bed. You, of course, feel some symptoms physically. But, you wont be able to feel your brain in absolute distress. Sleep, as we know, promotes healing. Every time, I need at least 2 days off work in bed. If you can take off longer, than do, but don’t waste those sick days if you are not really going to try your hardest. I also, went on vacation for a week, with a friend who had no idea my habit (about 100 mg of roxy a day). I was tired, almost the whole trip, but I was laying on the beach, in paradise, sleeping all day, on a boat, surprisingly, my symptoms were minimal. I was also stimulating my brain, I was “happy” (I put in quotes because happy is relative) and felt little depression.
*Get ready! The first day without anything, I have no motivation or energy to do anything. I needed to make a to-do list, with things to get, to set myself up for a successful hellish few days. I needed to do it while I still was using so I would actually get it done.

For me, it takes about 3 days cold turkey. The 2nd day is always the worst. By the 4th, I am ok to do my normal day activities. The tiredness stays with me longer, but I run and drink coffee to try to tick my brain. I recently tried taking subs to get through withdrawal and they worked like a miracle. One day, my 2nd without, I was handed a tab, put 1/4th under my tongue, and went about my regular day. I was hardly able to sit up and walk around to get a glass of water, then, 15 minutes later, I feel myself? I couldn’t believe it. After 5 days of that amount, I stopped and was myself. After a few days of low subs, I can come off and feel fine. It’s then, trying to not make the mistake and reward myself for going a while without any pills. I personally, couldn’t tapper down with pills. I see how it would work with withdrawals, but I know I would be lying to myself if I bought them to spread out. So funny how you get to know your addiction “you” so well when you can see clearly.

Can anyone recommend any remedies, preferably OTC or homemade, for the insomnia, nausea, and GI issues associated with poppy seed tea withdrawal? I've only used once, but damn, it's a bitch over the next two days. I believe I'm on the tail end of it, but I do plan on using again occasionally.

Get your general doc (internist or family doc) to write you am RX for Zofran. It's an anti-emetic that is taken sublingually and it just wipes out nausea in a matter of 30 seconds. If for some reason you can't get a doctor in time, use PTC nausea relief liquid, sea-band bracelets (or learn to use the pressure point on your wrists that help relieve nausea).Diphenhydramine is helpful for those who don't have high tolerances to sleeping meds or benzos, etc. I usually take 6-8 Benedryl an hour before bedtime. Chlorotabs are another OTC antihistamine that can help ease insomnia if you take large doses of it. And generic Immodium will help with the intestinal problems as well as it can help alleviate other withdrawal symptoms because it is a weak opiate. Good luck and stay strong! :)
Can anyone recommend any remedies, preferably OTC or homemade, for the insomnia, nausea, and GI issues associated with poppy seed tea withdrawal? I've only used once, but damn, it's a bitch over the next two days. I believe I'm on the tail end of it, but I do plan on using again occasionally.

Hi I am new to this forum. I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place. If so, please let me know where to go.
I am from Vietnam and using pretty strong dope. (strong enough to smoke.) I am trying to slowly cut back and then start taking suboxone. I was wondering if it was safe to cut heroin with tramadol to lower the quality. I would be snorting it. If not tramadol, what would be a good alternative. Any help on this is greatly appreciated. TIA

Quick Reply Needed!

Hey guys, got a question and I need a quick reply - you'll soon see why.

I'm going through chronic morphine use withdrawals and apart from turning into an anxious, psychotic, insomniac... i have the worst diarrhea EVER!

It's been 4 days now and I'm bloody pissing out my arse. Naturally, I'd use some Loperamide... but having gone cold turkey, isn't this just going to undo all of the work that I've done, i.e. leaving my opiate receptors alone? I'm worried that it'll help with the shits, but it'll just put my withdrawals on pause?

Any help appreciated!!

Headphones. I know exactly what you mean be trying to save some for them bad bad days. I put 4 hydros in a bottle 1 night and told myself they were incase of emergencies only. about an hour later I saw that they were gone. I have no memory of even taking them.Can u develope a muscle memory for openning ur bottle and taking themwithout being fully conscience you did that? I am guessing this isn't a very good sign.It's like I was possessed or something. Next time i'm going to hide them from myself. Or atleast not keep them in my veiw. Some wierd jeckel and Mr. Hyde stuff going on here..Has this ever happened to anyone else?. Peace and love to you all.

I've never not remembered taking them (unless I was blacked out anyway) but I know what you mean about begin on autopilot. In the depths of my habit I would do a lot of things that I knew weren't good. I'd go into the autopilot mode where I'd just deal with it to get what I needed and once I got high I would just put it away from memory. Those moments would creep back up and I'd go into mental anguish over them but again I'd push them away and try not to think about it.

Every time I ever swiped a pill or money to score with I knew I was stealing but in some odd junkie way I would justify it as necessary. It was the difference in begin sick or not sick, the difference in joy and pain. I always told myself this is absolutely the last time I can do this but I knew in my heart it wouldn't be. I was raised better, lying and stealing were two things you just didn't do. I found myself doing a lot of both, and most of the lying was to myself even though I spent a lot of time lying to family and friends too.

Just a random thought. I would like to visit the Enterprise. I bet Dr. Crusher has the best stuff there is in stock. Or maybe have Data reprogram my food replicator. lol..

I've thought about both too! Could you imagine somehow getting thrown through time with your DOC? If they put me in a room with a replicator I don't think I'd ever want out. If they set me up with one on the holodeck I think I would be content just living the rest of my life in there.

Honestly what I hate almost as much as the RLS and muscle aches and overall physical discomfort is the complete lethargy and depression, makes it impossible to go to work or anything.

So I've found myself addicted to a fentanyl analogue (it happens so quickly!)…I'm usually pretty conservative with my usage, but I fucked up and binged for 5 days. I'm on day 4 of withdrawal, but I haven't quit completely….I've just been spacing out my doses to give myself some relief. Yesterday, I was down to a dose every 6 hours. It's now been abut 17 hours since my last dose. My question is, if I keep taking it infrequently, will the withdrawal ever end? Or do I have to jump off the ledge at some point?

Also, I should mention that it would be difficult to lower each dose and taper that way…not impossible, but difficult.

Is mixing tylenol 4. (60mg Codiene ) and morphine (60MG) a waste, after finishing your peak from mmorphine?