• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Opioid Withdrawal Megathread and FAQ

Yes. The more times you go back and forth, getting clean, detoxing, so on.. the quicker you become dependent again in the future and the more severe your withdrawal symptoms become.

Yes. The more times you go back and forth, getting clean, detoxing, so on.. the quicker you become dependent again in the future and the more severe your withdrawal symptoms become.
Well shit.

I was gunna say too they seemed more severe than in the past after much longer binges. I swore I had to be sick AND withdrawing or something it didn't make sense

Definitely. Even after a month+ break I can barely use for 2-3 days without initiating some shitty w/d's, whereas I could use daily for at least 1-2 weeks when I was opiate naive with no after-effects. It gets worse every time. Even psychologically, it seems damn near impossible to get back to that phase of my life where I could use strong opiates responsibly. Once you've had a serious habit, you're fucked (for 99% of people). Your mind will trick you into using day after day after day if you start up again and it's way way harder to stick to rules like 'once a week' or something similar. So, physically and psychologically, opiate addiction grows on one. But goddamn those early days of opiate euphoria were good.

Yeah I'm fairly sure it's a permanent change in your body chemistry. Maybe after a very long period of abstinence (like 10+ yrs.) your body may reset & it would take a week or 2 to become physically dependant again. But as a rule of thumb, the longer you've been using + the length of time you have abstained = how quickly you will become dependant on opiates after picking them back up. For most people after a few years of addiction it only takes 2 to 4 days of use at best to become completely physically dependant again.

Is it just like that for good?

Yup. Your body never totally forgets the opiates and reintroducing them to your brain, even after years sober, it's like flipping a switch and your body goes. "Oh shit, I remember this." The whole being able to use for a week straight without getting withdrawals is done after your first dependency.

wow that sucks.
what about one day? could you get away with that assuming in this case you wouldn't do it any more than that one day?
and also what about if you're not doing them to get high? For example if you get some pills prescribed after surgery can you just not take them? Do you have to deal with the pain? (I have a pretty major surgery coming up)

looking forward to trying heroin... should have it soon will definitely report back... (rofl) i want to use it at very low doses recreationally kinda like how people smoke a cigarette. where you smoke cigarettes throughout the day to achieve a state of peace. i do believe i have had hash and weed laced with heroin in the past which would account for the after effects of those bits of weed so i feel like i have a little experience in this area.

looking forward to trying heroin... should have it soon will definitely report back... (rofl) i want to use it at very low doses recreationally kinda like how people smoke a cigarette. where you smoke cigarettes throughout the day to achieve a state of peace. i do believe i have had hash and weed laced with heroin in the past which would account for the after effects of those bits of weed so i feel like i have a little experience in this area.

you are kidding, right?

i want to use it at very low doses recreationally kinda like how people smoke a cigarette.where you smoke cigarettes throughout the day to achieve a state of peace.

You mean develop a habit? People who smoke cigarettes through the day do it because they're addicted. It's not a state of peace, it's a state of not-actively-sick-right-now.

i do believe i have had hash and weed laced with heroin in the past which would account for the after effects of those bits of weed

Completely reasonable for a dealer to cut a cheap drug with an expensive drug, so that they can make less money. WTF?
Coudn't possibly be the documented interactions between at least thirty-seven known actives in MJ, or set and setting- must be heroin. Again, WTF?

so i feel like i have a little experience in this area.

But ya don't.

Nothing personal- but you're badly misinformed and likely to hurt yourself.

I feel sorry for you, man.

I just pray to God more kids don't have your thinking.

Good luck to you. You're seriously going to need it.

wow that sucks.
what about one day? could you get away with that assuming in this case you wouldn't do it any more than that one day?
and also what about if you're not doing them to get high? For example if you get some pills prescribed after surgery can you just not take them? Do you have to deal with the pain? (I have a pretty major surgery coming up)
just gunna quote myself here since that dude's question kind of stole the spotlight real quick lol

^^^

One day is just about all you can push it to. Maybe two.

As far as the pill thing.. it really all depends on what dose you are on. If you're taking a lose dose of weaker pain killers, then no you won't end up with a dependency as fast as if you were out banging H for a few days, but still.. it will happen much faster than a normal person who hasn't been physically addicted in the past.

That's how a lot of former addicts who got sober end up going back to dope. They are clean for a while, have some pain issue, get a script for something and think they can take it like a normal person. Well, soon they end up strung out on them, and go back to dope. Happens all the time, man.

^^^

One day is just about all you can push it to. Maybe two.

As far as the pill thing.. it really all depends on what dose you are on. If you're taking a lose dose of weaker pain killers, then no you won't end up with a dependency as fast as if you were out banging H for a few days, but still.. it will happen much faster than a normal person who hasn't been physically addicted in the past.

That's how a lot of former addicts who got sober end up going back to dope. They are clean for a while, have some pain issue, get a script for something and think they can take it like a normal person. Well, soon they end up strung out on them, and go back to dope. Happens all the time, man.
Thanks for the reply I will keep that in mind.
I'm having a double jaw surgery so I'm gunna have to take them at least for a few days I'm guessing but I'll try to limit them to absolute necessity.

I feel sorry for you, man.

I just pray to God more kids don't have your thinking.

Good luck to you. You're seriously going to need it.

It seems each new generation is getting douchier and douchier. Maybe it's just me. I'm only 24 so I haven't seen that many generations, but everytime I compare my childhood/adolescence with kids today I am left embittered and annoyed lol.

I got so much swag I drop 8 hunnit on a bottle of premium quality syrup (aka one from da pharmacy). yolo.

It seems each new generation is getting douchier and douchier. Maybe it's just me. I'm only 24 so I haven't seen that many generations, but everytime I compare my childhood/adolescence with kids today I am left embittered and annoyed lol.

Ya. Sad, isn't it? :\

^ Dismal. I will never wear super skinny jeans I don't care if I may get more pussy (not that I can even come now), never.

Hey I have a question concerning opiate addiction dynamics..

Is force of withdrawal symptoms based on the quantity of drug used daily, or the *effect* of the drug? ie is withdrawal a reaction the lack of the chemical in the brain, or is withdrawal a reaction to the lack of euphoria/symptoms of opiates that one has become accustomed to?

For example, if my tolerance has reached a point where although my daily dose is large, I don't get any 'buzz' off it - Am I going to experience withdrawals based on how high I've been getting , or how much substance my body isnt getting?

I'm guessing it is the substance quantity, but I just have noticed my WDs dont seem as severe as they used to be - my addiction has progressed, but I havent changed my dose - I take the same dose I did a year ago, it just achieves less than it used to.