• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Opioid Withdrawal Megathread and FAQ

I can't give you an exact schedule, I'm sure someone here will be better at that, but my only advice is to go as slow as possible. I started at 75 mg methadone and it was all fine and dandy til I got to 15 or so. I went from 15 to 0 in the space of three weeks (my own choice). Last dose was this past saturday. I've been doing a Vicodin now and then but mostly just riding out the sickness. I'm a lot sicker than I thought I'd be. Go slowwwww is my advice.

At least you have comfort meds though.

I just need a 5 day inpatient detox schedule that I can do at home.i only have 100mgs. So that's 25mg and then decreased by 5mg for 5 days total. But I need help with the entire run down with the Comfort meds.

Hiya Numb,

Obviously it's YOUR decision - my suggestion would be to use codeine if you can get it. You don't want to touch anything with antidepressant properties (unless you had depression beforehand n were self-medicating n in that case it would be best to see a doctor) because you will mess up your brain chemistry more n you don't really want to do that.
As part of the withdrawal / tapering process you will experience depression n you must remember that it is part of the process n not actual depression if that makes sense. However if it persisted for say months after withdrawal then that may be different.

You see opiates hit a different receptor to say Tramodol (if I'm wrong here someone please correct me n I apologise) I think it is the mu receptor that opiates latch on to so really tapering with trams isn't the best thing to do.

That's my suggestions, however I'm not a doctor n only you can decide what's best for YOU.

PLEASE TAKE N PM ANYTIME IF YOU'd like someone to chat to.

Evey x

Thanks alot Evey, much appreciated!

As far as I'm aware, Tramadol is definitely a weak u-opioid receptor agonist. The problem, as you correctly indicated is that it is also a bunch of other things too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol#Mechanism_of_action

Nucynta is a mu-opioid receptor agonist with SNRI. So it would also definitely mess with serotonin levels in the brain as you mentioned.

Sometimes I have varying degrees of anger at my Dr. for giving those types of meds when my issue really is pain. This is also why they pile up, because I rarely take them. I don't doubt his intentions are good as he prefers I not take Oxycodone during the daytime so he tries other meds.

Anyway, I've decided to just tough it out without taking anything except some vitamins and some OTC stuff to help me sleep. Already at day 3 without any opiates and 4th day without Oxycodone so I think it's best to just keep at it like this. I'm actually not feeling all that bad right now and hopefully in a couple more days I'll be out of the woods...again!

Thanks again for the help and I will def. PM you if I like to chat or ask any further q's.

All the best...

Welcome to Bluelight karmakona.

Just a quick reminder that we don't use "SWIM" on this website or any other variant. Cross-posting is also against forum guidelines.

I'm going to merge your thread.

Basic -> Other Drugs (Opioid Withdrawal Megathread)

Good luck.

I take oxycodone as well im not sure how much u take or for how long but i know i have been taking it for around 4 years along with various other drugs, heroin,marijuana, smoke meth occasionally, benzos sometimes, methadone(when i have nothing else, somas, and occasionally shrooms or lsd...but any time i have tried to stop the oxycodone i have found the best thing to do to try and avoid withdrawal for the most part is to taper down, meth also helps, i know it might sound crazy but i have gone a couple days with no opiods (not by choice lol) and just smoked meth instead,and when i say smoke meth im not smoking a very large amount either maybe about 50 worth in 2 days and i had absolutely no withdrawal symptoms it was crazy...i am not suggesting u start a new drug or do meth i was just telling u about my experience. As far as tramadol goes it is not a narcotic its basically strong advil i only know this because i am in the medical field and we used it all the time for people with mild pain n swelling from a non severe trauma...i do not believe it will help it may have a acebo effect if anything idk if this helped or not but good luck on ur journey

I am seeking input about mild opiate withdrawal. I have used opiates (oxy, hydro) on occasion recreationally in low doses (never more than 10-20mg a day of oxy) for short periods (always ten days or less) with many weeks to a few months in between. So, I broke my foot pretty good 7 weeks ago, and in that time I was prescribed 80 Vicodin tabs (whatever the lowest dose is...think its 5 mg hydro) and after surgery ten days later, was prescribed 60 Percocet 5mg tabs. I used about half the vicodin tabs over a ten day period (4-5 per day) waiting for surgery, and used about half the percs in the 5-6 days after surgery (about 3-5 a day). Since that time ive used anywhere from an average of 1-4 vics or 1-3 percs a day, every single day for the last 6 weeks for the pain. Then I was given a script of Tramadol 50 mg tabs x60 last week at my follow up appt to get me off the opiates. Too late?!! I was also initially Rx'd sixty 5mg Valium and thirty 4mg Zophran tabs (odanseteron) after surgery, which I never used either one.

So last week i stopped taking the Percs (had 5 left, the Vics were used up by then) and switched to Tramadol for the pain, which by now is quite minor, mainly helped with IBU or the Tramadol , one every 6-8 hours if I need it, which I dont always. So my pain is mild and I wasnt taking the Tramadol for 2-3 days either. HOWEVER...a friend gave me ten 30 mg MScontin about 10 days ago, which I took one every day for 5-6 days, which I was using recreationally...never had morphine before...pretty good, long lasting stuff!). I clearly have a low tolerance compared to many here, so i may be sounding like a whiny little bitch! Sorry if that's the case.

After using one 30 mg MS Contin daily for 5-6 days, I quit taking them so I could go back to work in a few days without being on any pain meds. The third day without anything at all, except maybe I took a Tramadol or two, during that time, I had a fairly sudden onset of moderately bad abdominal cramping and mild diarrhea (cramps were worst part) in the middle of the night (got cold flashes on the shitter which I never felt before...almost as bad as the cramps), felt draggy but OK when I got up and went to my first day back at work in 7 weeks the next morning. But then started feeling worse by the hour after I got there. At the time I just thought I was having trouble adjusting to being back at work for the first time in 7 weeks. I felt pretty flu-ish (no energy (felt like just wanted to be horizontal under the covers), cold flashes, some occasional abdominal cramping, some sweating) for about 16 hours...stayed in bed from 3pm when I got home, until I went to work the next morning at 8am. In the middle of the night, it occurred to me I may be having mild withdrawal symptoms instead of the flu.

Ive never been thru any opiate withdrawal, so dont know what it's like...but I got up at 2am and took a Percocet and a Zophran and went back to bed, which helped me sleep. I woke up 4 -5 hours later and I felt better and good enough to get up and go to work, something I wasnt feeling I was gonna be able to do at 2am. So I'm guessing that i probably started going thru mild opiate withdrawal, since the percocet and Zophran "seemed" to make the worst of the symptoms better, but is it possible to have withdrawals taking opiates daily for 6-7 weeks at low, prescribed doses? If so, I find that somewhat surprising but not entirely without merit.

So here's where I am...Ive taken half a perc twice a day and 1 Tramadol twice a day for the last 2-3 days to ward off any possible WD symptoms for now. Im down to my last 2 Percs, will get no refill and dont frankly want one. I want off the pain meds all together at this point unless for pain, which is nil for now. But I'm anxious about going thru all that again in a couple of more days when that last perc is gone...if what I experienced was actual opiate withdrawal.

After much research here...does it sound to ppl here like i was having mild withdrawal, or could it have just been a 24 bug that was gonna resolve itself anyway and the timing was coincidental? Can you get withdrawals taking 5 mg Percs as prescribed for just 6-7 weeks, only taking 1-3 a day?

It seems that if I was having withdrawal symptoms, that the Zophran, Valium and Tramadol will be awfully helpful getting through the rough parts. Having laid out my history and situation, I was hoping for ppl's thoughts and possible regiment to use of the Zophran, Valium and Tram.

I have heard some really bad things about the tramadol, but heard it does wonders for the symptoms of withdrawal, and I have enough Tram to taper down. If my WD symptoms were to reappear in the next few days, should I start taking the Tram and taper (one 50mg Tram twice a day for 4-5 days, then half a Tram twice a day for 4-5 days, then half a Tram a day for 4-5 days, then stopping ....or should I avoid the Tram all together and stick with just the Zophran and Valium and Imodium to get through the 3-5 days of misery I could be facing?

Thanks for any advice you all might have.

Last edited:
I know this is going to sound like I am a guy who is out of touch and perhaps what you see as your intelligence can see through and define why i'm off base or on some unrealistic fringe, perhaps even to be ignored, but please give me a read.

I have delt with chronic pain since 1995. Since 1999 I have been on one or another type of physically addictive opioid narcotic; always prescribed by a Doctor. I remember watching movies and such way before 1995 and after that graphically explained to me what it's like going through withdrawal. Even without anyone with real life experience like on a site, detailing the challenge and horrors of withdrawal, I had formed a very real, intensely strong idea in my mind what it would be like to go through withdrawal and that it was to be avoided at all cost.

Several times through the years for differing reasons I had to reduce the number of pills I was taking abruptly and as I "expected" went through a very difficult experience with withdrawal.

THEN IS HAPPENED. I had a series of seizures that were not directly Rx related. Without the marvels of modern medicine I would have died. Instead, technically with the marvels of modern medicine, I died 12 times; as they were able to keep bringing me back; most importantly, the 12th time.

For reasons I won't go into here, as my medical authority to chose had been removed from me because of the seizures and my inability to speak, another person had to make those choices. The Doctors were told by this person to cold turkey me. At that point I was previously taking MS Contin 4X daily & Xanax 4X daily; don't recall the MG but it was the max FDA allowed per pill for both. The seizures left me temporarily (thank God) partially brain damaged. I could not remember any of those movies and stories I was told throughout my life about withdrawal for about 10 days.

For those 10 days I suffered nothing close to the level of withdrawals one would expect for stopping cold turkey at the MG level I was at per day. I suffer ZERO chills & hot flashes. I suffered ZERO stomach & digestive issues. I was eating everything they put in front of me as if it was my last meal.

Does the mind control a large part of how our body reacts in the manor we believe it should? Is this site & other information sources helping or hurting you to learn about how withdrawal ?"will"? be for you? I've learned the mind is a very powerful weapon when it is believing the right thing and what I put in it is very important to my well being. What's your conclusion?

Peace...

Interesting post @wizerguy, I'm reading a book called Mind over Medicine at the moment, and the explanation of the placebo effect and the power of the brain to alter ones physical resilience is fascinating. I'm glad to hear you are doing so well after such potentially horrific experience and I hope your pain is well controlled now?

I have a question about managing the change from one kind of opiate to another, and I'd be really grateful for any advice you can give. If this is in the wrong place please feel free to move it, but I couldn't find any topic in pain management that felt like it quite fitted. I'm a long term chronic and acute pain patient, my condition is untreatable and incurable so pain management is all they've got, and I'm treated off label with palliative doses, though I don't have a date of expiration currently estimated. I have found that Targinact (slow release Oxycodone and naloxone) with oxynorm as breakthrough have been the best combination in terms of keeping my pain under control without making me so drowsy I can't function. So tolerance has arrived, after three years, as predicted, and I'm now needing 120mg targinact BD and 80-100mg breakthrough TD. My pain team have suggested its time to try cycling me off of oxy at the crazy doses and for me to have 3-4months of fentanyl patches at 100mcg and 30mg oxynorm for breakthrough. My consultant suggested that the first 7-10 days of the switch will be really tough, but that I need to try not to take too much breakthrough to g through it. Is there anything else I can do/take to help me through the oxy withdrawal while the fentanyl kicks in? I'd be so grateful for any suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone who is serious about kicking dope I found Clonidine to be quite helpful along with a cocktail of other non-narcs. Other than doing a 1 week Suboxone taper (or 2-3 if coming of Methadone and dope) here is the list of the drugs the doctor prescribed me. Along with the Suboxone, they got me through some of the worse H/methadone w/d's I've ever personally experienced after doing it for years and years straight.

Clonidine 0.1-0.2 mg 4 times a day as needed (space them out every 4 hours)
Gabapentin (Neurontin) 300mg CAP 3 times a day (for nerve pains IE:restless legs)
Baclofen 20 mg 4 times a day OR Methocarbam (Robaxin) 750 mg 4 times a day (for pain)
Dicyclomine (Bentyl) 20 mg 4 times a day (for stomach cramps)
Trazodone 100-300 mg at bedtime OR Doxepin 50-150 mg at bedtime (for sleep)
Imodium (for diarrhea obviously)
Also look into the Vivitrol Shot (Extended Naltrexone Release) if you don't feel like you have the will power to stay clean initially.

If you prefer a more natural way for the sleep aids and are trying to stay away from them I would personally suggest two things. Either taking a combination of Melatonin, Valarian Root, and Passion Flower (mix and match to your own liking...I personally like all three). Also I've had many people swear by a tea that they drink right before going to bed " Yogi - Bedtime " I guess it has a lot of good natural sleep aids in it.
Hope I could be of help and good luck kicking this shit... it's a fucking bitch

When I quit Suboxone (tapered down from 8 to 1mg over a month or so, then jumped off - was taking for 2 years, at doses as high as 20) I found the most beneficial thing to do was walk. I spent the first two or three days sitting on my couch watching tv, feeling like shit, horrible restless legs, not sleeping a wink, but the worst aspect by far was the sucking pit of anxious dread. And the looping thoughts. So I started walking my dog, taking him on progressively harder walks/hikes up hills and for longer amounts of time. I would usually listen to a podcast I enjoyed or some music an walk.

This might sound facetious or ridiculous to others who've gone through an intense (whatever that is to the individual) withdrawal and it probably wouldn't help or be possible with a more acute withdrawal from an opiate with a much shorter half life, but I don't know. But for the protracted withdrawal from Suboxone and especially the PAWS, this walking I was doing was basically the only thing that took my mind off what I was going through, restless legs were nullified, and it must have helped me sleep. Plus exercise is always a good thing.

So that's what I have to add. And the reason to wanted to add it is because I've never really seen it posted on forums, though people do profess the benefits of "working out." Which I did try, but the stop start of a resistance routine was kind of tortuous. Though the meditative quality of walking for hours provided huge amounts of relief for me, and I think it quickened the coming of sleep and finally getting back into working out after the worst was over.

All the best to anyone going through a withdrawal or contemplating it.

For anyone who is serious about kicking dope I found Clonidine to be quite helpful along with a cocktail of other non-narcs. Other than doing a 1 week Suboxone taper (or 2-3 if coming of Methadone and dope) here is the list of the drugs the doctor prescribed me. Along with the Suboxone, they got me through some of the worse H/methadone w/d's I've ever personally experienced after doing it for years and years straight.

Clonidine 0.1-0.2 mg 4 times a day as needed (space them out every 4 hours)
Gabapentin (Neurontin) 300mg CAP 3 times a day (for nerve pains IE:restless legs)
Baclofen 20 mg 4 times a day OR Methocarbam (Robaxin) 750 mg 4 times a day (for pain)
Dicyclomine (Bentyl) 20 mg 4 times a day (for stomach cramps)
Trazodone 100-300 mg at bedtime OR Doxepin 50-150 mg at bedtime (for sleep)
Imodium (for diarrhea obviously)
Also look into the Vivitrol Shot (Extended Naltrexone Release) if you don't feel like you have the will power to stay clean initially.

If you prefer a more natural way for the sleep aids and are trying to stay away from them I would personally suggest two things. Either taking a combination of Melatonin, Valarian Root, and Passion Flower (mix and match to your own liking...I personally like all three). Also I've had many people swear by a tea that they drink right before going to bed " Yogi - Bedtime " I guess it has a lot of good natural sleep aids in it.
Hope I could be of help and good luck kicking this shit... it's a fucking bitch

I too have found clonidine to be one of the most helpful medications to use for withdrawals. It helps with RLS, sleep, anxiety, high blood pressure (which is its intended use anyways), night sweats, and some other general discomfort. The only downside of it is that it leaves you with little energy so you really can't be productive when using it to kick, so if you have to work while kicking you should save it for after work.

One of the other reasons that I like it for withdrawals is that it's not an opiate so it will not prolong the withdrawals at all. If you have a few days to just lay around at home while kicking an opiate habit then clonidine is one of the best drugs to use during that time. When I had access to it it was the only drug that I used for the withdrawal symptoms, and it made things a lot more manageable.

I have only used gabapentin once, but I would imagine that it would be pretty similar to clonidine in terms of the symptoms that it alleviates, as well as it's benefit of not being an opiate so no issues with prolonging the withdrawals. A lot of people actually prefer these drugs over benzos when kicking, and it has the benefit of not causing worse withdrawals from the drug itself like benzos can do after using it for a week or so straight. Another downside of using benzos during withdrawal is that they lower inhibitions which causes some people to get the 'fuck-its' and use opiates again, so these other drugs also eliminate that problem. I've only used the clonidine for 3-5 days of withdrawal, and it can cause slight withdrawals but nothing that taking a lower dose for 2 more days won't fix.

Last edited:
Lopermide withdrawal help

Hey everyone, so I have been taking opiates for a few yrs now, started in August 2011 and and quit august 2012 for a good 3-4 months. Started using a in December 2012 til February 2013. Once again quit till about May and used off an on. But in between off and on I used lopermide to ease withdrawal. Like an idiot I didn't know what I was getting into. Now it's January 2014. Should have said this early but the first stint was only hydro 10. Then this time around it's been oxy 80's about two aday. Then up until New Year's Eve I took 2 80's on nyeve and 1 more New Year's Day and 1 more on January 2nd. Then started the lopes and tapered. I went from 18mgs in the am and pm. To now about 8mgs in the am and pm. Should I continue to taper down to nothing or just jump off? It's been about 7 days straight of lopes about about 2 weeks striaght of 80's before that. Should I expect a long and drown out withdrawl? Thanx for the help guys been reading off this sight for awhile

P.s I've never taken lopes for more than 2 weeks straight

Last edited by a moderator:
it's difficult to predict. if anything though, i would say that taking the loperamide after such short use could only serve to worsen your withdrawal symptoms.

homeless -> other drugs (opioid withdrawal megathread)

Hey everyone, so I have been taking opiates for a few yrs now, started in August 2011 and and quit august 2012 for a good 3-4 months. Started using a in December 2012 til February 2013. Once again quit till about May and used off an on. But in between off and on I used lopermide to ease withdrawal. Like an idiot I didn't know what I was getting into. Now it's January 2014. Should have said this early but the first stint was only hydro 10. Then this time around it's been oxy 80's about two aday. Then up until New Year's Eve I took 2 80's on nyeve and 1 more New Year's Day and 1 more on January 2nd. Then started the lopes and tapered. I went from 18mgs in the am and pm. To now about 8mgs in the am and pm. Should I continue to taper down to nothing or just jump off? It's been about 7 days straight of lopes about about 2 weeks striaght of 80's before that. Should I expect a long and drown out withdrawl? Thanx for the help guys been reading off this sight for awhile

P.s I've never taken lopes for more than 2 weeks straight

I would recommend continuing to taper down. If you drop 1mg from each dose (so 2mg a day) and then just drop 1mg from the nightly dose once you get down to 4mg then you are not looking at much longer on the drug so I think the smoother transition that may have slightly longer mild withdrawals would be better than abruptly stopping and having more intense withdrawals that might only be a little shorter than if you tapered.

I know that in many cases the duration that you are on a drug can play a bigger role in the withdrawals than the dose you jump at but anything that you use to taper with for just 2-3 weeks should be fine as it really isn't dragging it out too long and it's really not that much time on that drug to allow for things to get too messy.

methadone for small oxy w/d

Hi fellas, if the patient had a small oxycodone habit of 60-80mg daily (20mg instant release 3-4x a day) and they had to go without it for a couple of days until their next doctor visit, would 10mg of methadone every morning help with withdrawals? Is 10mg overkill? Should the subject just go cold turkey for a few days instead? The methadone would only be for a couple of days so I figure most of the problems associated with methadone use would not affect the subject.

welcome to bluelight. i'm going to move your thread.

basic -> other drugs (opioid withdrawal megathread)

Hi fellas, if the patient had a small oxycodone habit of 60-80mg daily (20mg instant release 3-4x a day) and they had to go without it for a couple of days until their next doctor visit, would 10mg of methadone every morning help with withdrawals? Is 10mg overkill? Should the subject just go cold turkey for a few days instead? The methadone would only be for a couple of days so I figure most of the problems associated with methadone use would not affect the subject.

No 10mg's would be fine. For a habit of 80mg's of oxycodone a day, or roughly equivalent to 120mg's of morphine a day, the methadone conversion ratio is 5:1. So that equals around 24mg's of methadone.

Do withdrawals come quicker after you've had the before?

In the past it would have taken me like 1 week and a half of using everyday to get WDs but after going through them a couple times this past week I used for only three days in a row and got some pretty nasty (mostly psychological) WDs for just as many days after. Is this normal?