• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

(Photography) Why you love the place you live

I have moved house in the last couple of months. This is the first time since I was a kid that I have lived within walking distance to the beach and it's terrific.

Less than ten minutes casual ride on my pushbike and I am here...

gv70.jpg

Took this earlier, turned out sick as fuck because it fits perfectly and we'll enjoy:
56B09858-4F33-4478-83E3-33C1D034608A_zpsnguhvmbn.jpg

It's been the home of my family since they immigrated in the 20's. It's a hard city to grow up in with beautiful nature reserves and nice suburbs. I love my sports teams to the core of my being, everyone that grows up here has pride for what the city is all about. I even have a tattoo of the initials(a teams logo as well) tattooed on myself.

Friends, family, and nature :D

Here's a photo series of older stuff I put together from my hometown since I've been away at college:

home1_zpsa7f2e349.jpg

home2_zpsf5fc8d50.jpg

home3_zps6d36745a.jpg

home4_zps1a86f56a.jpg

home5_zpsd929f4f2.jpg

home6_zpsb1109042.jpg

home7_zpsbe6338c8.jpg

home8_zps0979ba9c.jpg

home9_zps4e956a3c.jpg

home10_zps4df9fdfc.jpg

home12_zpsd442e8cc.jpg

Today the kid (to me) that started this thread would have been 23. It still does my heart good to think of how he loved this world though he struggled with it and was hurt by it as well. He always loved beauty. Nature was something that he never could get enough of, whether it was in our backyard or up and down our coast or in a foreign land. Here are the roses that are blooming out front and a view up the coast where the wild mustard is still blooming along highway 1:

Wow, where you live is spectacular. I want to go to Scotland so badly. That second to the last shot is just as I imagine Scotland. Are trains expensive there?

^Sounds a lot like my city in central California. We have the ocean in front of us and the redwood forests and dry oak hills at our back. We are surrounded by farmland to the north and south. It's a university town which gives us more sophisticated goings-on than might normally take place in a city of this size.

^Those are gorgeous. Montana was home for me when I was really little. Still remember weekends with my family hiking around in the Rimrocks.

these are all from around the SF Bay Area. enjoy, everybody.

tvbeach_zps2c94fb47.jpg

sundown_zpsaa7761cc.jpg

hollow_zpsab1b44fb.jpg

kayaks_zpsce5e5f84.jpg

Last edited:
Well, there's not much in the way of scenery where I live, but there are occasionally cool things to do in my town. I've shown pictures that I've taken of the vintage baseball games they've played here, and here's a few pictures I took at the flat track races in town. I'll share more later, but these are a few that I really like. :)

tumblr_n7l8st9DxZ1r0xlv6o1_1280_zpse712754b.jpg

tumblr_n7l8vlzhqZ1r0xlv6o1_1280_zps93ebf064.jpg

tumblr_n7l8qeEnhQ1r0xlv6o1_1280_zps7dd6e74d.jpg

tumblr_n7k1fofmgW1r0xlv6o1_1280_zpsa9ad8b9d.jpg

Thanks, herbavore, I appreciate that! You've shared some excellent photos, yourself! :)

And I don't, unfortunately! I love going to motorcycle races, though. My dad raced flat track bikes in the 60s and passed his interest in bike racing down to me. We used to ride to some of the Grand National races on his touring bike, when I was younger, but with his age and decreasing amount of free time (he's always busy maintaining his 1.5 acre vegetable garden!) we haven't hit up any races in quite some time (until this past weekend). It was a great time, though! I met some people who my dad knows that are well connected in flat track racing and they're interested in using some of my photos! The guy who manages a Harley dealership which sponsors that guy in blue and yellow on the number 7 bike (Sammy Halbert is the racer's name), really liked the few shots he saw at the races! My dad asked me if I could show him a couple! I ended up giving the guy my contact info, to his delight, so I'm stoked to get his thoughts once he sees em on a bigger screen. :)