• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc is it possible to potentiate alcohol?

Warm'nFuzzy

Bluelighter
just a question ive been pondering. is it possible to potentiate alcohol?

haha good point but really is it possible? like you can potentiate benzos and the like with alcohol. but can it be done for alcohol?

I guess it depends on what you take first...I mean, if you drink first and then add the benzos, aren't you, in theory, potentiating the alcohol? If your doc is absolut, anything beyond that becomes increasingly more awesome, right?

no. you could forget everything (aka black out) and not remember a thing you did the night before. all that euphoria gone to waste since you have no memory of it. sorry, i can drink 10 drinks and not get any euphoria. alcohol is poison with a euphoric side effect in some people.

you could also take milk thistle. it is supposed to protect your liver from harmful things like alcohol. so, in theory, you can drink heavier on milk thistle without as much liver damage.

Last edited:
It's a very dirty drug, just like alcohol :p

It's a CNS depressant, so you'll need less alcohol to get the desired effect. I only say that because its safer than mixing alcohol with benzos or other more powerful depressants.

Don't mix alcohol with barbiturates.

oh ok thanks for the straight up answer lol. so itd be doing the same as if i were taking a benzo/alcohol?

^ Well, it won't really act the same as a benzo. None of the muscle relaxant properties, will make you seem more tired and out of it most likely.

The standard way to potentiate alcohol would be by mixing it with benzos (small amounts of benzos). Of course, this tends to cause blackouts, and raises the risk of you doing dumb shit or overdosing dangerously. I can't recommend mixing benzos and alcohol for this reason.

Soma and alcohol also seem to potentiate each other, though not as dramatically as alcohol and benzos - I have used the combination on a few occasions, using soma to substitute for pre-loading with alcohol, and then having a few more drinks with friends (and in so doing, be in a similarly drunk state as other people i'm drinking with, without earning myself a hangover). Again, the key is to not take a large amount of the non-alcohol drug - 1 soma, maybe 2 at most, while drinking significantly less than I normally would.

ok, straight up answer...back when I was into going out and drinking I used to take four or five effexor, it was better than ecstasy imo...but I felt like I was dying the next morning...

Last edited:
you could also take milk thistle. it is supposed to protect your liver from harmful things like alcohol. so, in theory, you can drink heavier on milk thistle without as much liver damage.

No. It was rumored to help your liver years ago, that was disproven.

Maybe you should list a source? You can potentate alcohol by taking benzo's. This tends to be a common practice these days. There's nothing else that will really work as nice, barbituates are to dangerous, but still possible. Other stuff is pretty lame, you could always try opiates, but that to might make you nauseated. Just depends.

I do not recommend inhibiting enzymes, but for curiosities' sake alcohol is metabolized by CYP reductase and CYP2E1 (mostly) and a little less by CYP3A4 and CYP1A2.

Very good article on alcohol metabolism: http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh23-1/40-54.pdf

More info on CYP2E1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CYP2E1

Inhibiting enzymes (and particularly 2E1) would potentiate it, possibly too much and also cause other side effects.

The only two majorly available 2E1 inhibitors are cimetidine and disulfiram (Antabuse). But those drugs will most likely make you barf from a small amount of alcohol. It is nearly impossible to titrate enzyme inhibition, so you will most likely inhibit too much and get alcohol poisoning.

Realistically, you would stand a better chance inhibiting 3A4 and 1A2, however the potentiating effect won't be as significant.

Check out my chart for a list of inhibitors. You can also find a link to it in the OD directory. http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/4571/cyp450yd7.gif

Last edited:
Other stuff is pretty lame, you could always try opiates, but that to might make you nauseated. Just depends.

In small amounts you might be fine, but mixing opiates with CNS depressants such as alcohol is the classic way to overdose. Alcohol will cause a relatively small amount of opiate to cause death by respiratory depression. Be careful with that one.

When you mix benzo's and alcohol is the increased effect a result of the benzo potentiating the alcohol or the alcohol potentiating the benzo ?

Either ways it sounds like a dangerous and wreckless combination.

i cleaned up this thread and UA'd a few off topic and ridiculous posts. let's keep the discussion on an intelligent, mature and informative path. kthx.

the azo said:
The standard way to potentiate alcohol would be by mixing it with benzos (small amounts of benzos). Of course, this tends to cause blackouts, and raises the risk of you doing dumb shit or overdosing dangerously. I can't recommend mixing benzos and alcohol for this reason.

i just want to reiterate this. sure, you'll be the laugh of the party but keep some humility about yourself;)

Hmm....

You can potentiate the effect by drinking some spirits lol but I don't think you can actually potentiate the alcohol itself.

I suppose one way, if you could call it potentiating, would be to drink on an empty stomach.

Don't bother drinking if you have been taking ecstasy or MDMA the night before. For some reason you can drink like a fucking demon the day after taking x/mdma and not get drunk at all, but thats another thread lol.