• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Best/Worst Sports Personalities

China Rider

Bluelighter
My favorite, hands down is Jim Rome. His show on ESPN isn't anything special, but his radio show is gold. He's a straight shooter and talks shit appropriately. Some of his rants are hilarious, youtube some of his 'guy' rants, like softball guy, gym guy, gold guy or likes to fight guy. Any other clones out there?

Others:
Jon Gruden
mark Sclereth
David Flerherty(golf)
Pat Summerall, 'Loooonnngggg set back'... fucking classic
Bill Walton
Berman/Tom Jackson(please bring back prime time? I miss the music)
Gus Johnson
Tony Kornheiser
Scott Van Pelt
John Anderson
Dan Patrick is alright, but wish he would get rid of McLovin on his radio show

These guys suck:

Mike Golic/Greenburg....kiss asses
Chris Collinsworth
Adam Scheffter
John Clayton...pretty much all those 'on the scene' guys for ESPN NFL
Everybody on Around the Horn

I pay too much attention to Sports Journalism, so I think I'll contribute to this thread often

I'll start with my all-time favorite

Chris-Berman.jpg

Chris Berman! in a sea of douchebaggery, Chris Berman arrived on the scene early for a fledgling ESPN to bring fun in sports journalism. everybody likes Chris Berman, right? he is most notably noted on ESPN's SportsCenter and the Stanley Cup Finals. I've never met a man who didn't like him and his constant, trademarked nicknames and saying. the world of sports television will take a crippling blow whenever he leaves, nobody can ever fill his shoes. although I do wish he would grow his mustache back

My favorite, hands down is Jim Rome

I do like Jim Rome, but sometimes it hard to forgive him for such early bloopers as here

notice how Rome cries like a girl when his antagonizer attacks him the second time they play it in this short video

Richie_Benaud_460237263.jpg

Richie Benaud

Former Australian captain and international cricket commentating superstar. Knows his shit and knows when to tell you. As the great man once said his self...
My mantra is: put your brain into gear and if you can add to what's on the screen then do it, otherwise shut up.

It pretty much sums up why I can't be arse watching sport with the commentary on a lot of the time.

My favorite, hands down is Jim Rome. His show on ESPN isn't anything special, but his radio show is gold. He's a straight shooter and talks shit appropriately. Some of his rants are hilarious, youtube some of his 'guy' rants, like softball guy, gym guy, gold guy or likes to fight guy. Any other clones out there?

Others:
Jon Gruden
mark Sclereth
David Flerherty(golf)
Pat Summerall, 'Loooonnngggg set back'... fucking classic
Bill Walton
Berman/Tom Jackson(please bring back prime time? I miss the music)
Gus Johnson
Tony Kornheiser
Scott Van Pelt
John Anderson
Dan Patrick is alright, but wish he would get rid of McLovin on his radio show

These guys suck:

Mike Golic/Greenburg....kiss asses
Chris Collinsworth
Adam Scheffter
John Clayton...pretty much all those 'on the scene' guys for ESPN NFL
Everybody on Around the Horn

HELL YES, Jim Rome is the man. I too, LOVE his rants and they're always relevant and so true hahaha. And as for around the horn, everyday they switch up the sports writers which is always good for replay value. <3 Woody Paige and the chalk board...todays chalkboard quote was "At my age happy hour is a nap." another good chalkboard quote was "used guitar for sale, no strings attached." :D Gotta shed some love for Stuart Scott of ESPN, I remember when I was like 10 years old and whenever an Atlanta Hawks highlight would come on I KNEW I was about to hear "Muh Muh Muh Muh MOOKIE" (Mookie Blaylock) Man my tv is stuck on ESPN, not literally but I do watch it constantly, like an unhealthy amount...the acronym ESPN and the ticker on the side and bottom are literally burned into the screen, it's hilarious you can see it perfectly when the tv is off or a dark background is on the screen.

i like listening to jims radio show, never seen his tv show though. his radio show is pretty damn funny, i love it when he drops sandstorm. the hack off was a great addition this year. i havent been listening sice ive been out of work so 2 months. i think he asks his interviewees great questions, and i usually find their responses applicable to my life and work ethic. i wont take cold showers though lol.

axl, have you seen the chris berman meltdown video?

i'd post it but i can't youtube at work.

this isn't what you're talking about, but still pretty funny. Chris Berman telling the crew how he likes to have on Blue Jay game a year, so he can buy OTC codeine pills and smuggle them back into the US

yea, the one i'm talking about is him melting down and cussing out the production staff when they go to commercial break.

I forgot about two guys who really suck:

Buster Olney and that fantasy 'expert' guy

I'm all about fantasy football and some advice, but shut the fuck up.

axl, that clip of Rome is over dubbed, and I love the fact he calls him Chris to his face right after he was threatened not to, what's he supposed to do there, he's no match against a pro athlete, and if he throws a punch or something in that situation say good bye to your career.

Also, props to Peter Gammons, a pro.

Jeez. Am I the only person who can't fucking stand Jim Rome? I don't care if the guy "knows his stuff" he is utterly UNfucking listenable to me. I can't fucking deal with him. I CAN however tolerate him on the radio a little more cause I don't have to stare at his smug face, but his voice just grinds my nerves.

I REALLY like Jon Gruden though. He knows his shit and doesn't try to speak above his audience. He just sounds very casual.

I do like Scott Van Pelt, Stuart Scott, Tim Kirkjian, and a few others that I'll mention later. If I get going, I'll get myself into a spiderweb of likes and dislikes.

Jeez. Am I the only person who can't fucking stand Jim Rome? I don't care if the guy "knows his stuff"

See I like him because he really doesn't ever claim to know things that we don't.
Too many people in front of a camera on ESPN, etc like to sit around, laugh at things that are not funny, wasting my time, telling me five reasons why Oregon is going to beat Auburn, begging for praise of their 'expertise' simply because they claim to know every detail of why Randy Moss was traded and why Cliff Lee is a Phillie.

I'll give you that. Good argument. It's not gonna make me like him any more, but I can certainly appreciate your point of view there.

On that note... one of the reasons I really like Scott Van Pelt is for the same reason you just mentioned about Rome. SVP usually comes across to me as someone who knows his stuff, but occasionally when he talks about hockey, you can tell he's not QUITE as sharp, but he doesn't play it off as if he were. It's usually when he's got Barry Melrose (or whoever else they consult for hockey nowadays) and he's not afraid to take a step back and let Melrose do his thang and/or he'll ask a question in a way that sounds genuinely curious. Plus he's a funny dude.

One of the things that I can't stand is when I'm either up REALLY late (ie... 5... 6 in the morning) or up REALLY early (ie... 5... 6 in the morning) and they're replaying the highlight reel from the NFL games the night before without showing the ESPN studio, but the whole time they're doing voice overs. Usually the guys who do it fucking annoy the shit out of me. Trying to be clever, funny, witty, a la Chris Berman, but doing it WAY wrong. Not funny. Just damn annoying. They always try to use plays on words/names, etc. Very "try hard" sounding.

For me the best personality of any Athelete has got to be this new and improved Michael Vick with a close second by Nick Swisher. I also gotta give a nod to Tim Lincecum and Curtis Granderson.
The worst by far is T.O. There's a reason why he'll never win a Superbowl and he can't seem to figure it out. He seriously needs to get a GOOD therapist and fast if he ever wants to be apart of a Superbowl winning team while still an active player.

^ I believe this thread is designated for best/worst sports commentators, announcers, or play-by-play personalities. I could be wrong, but it would probably be better to have two separate threads if the OP did intend to discuss the best/worst personalities of actual athletes

Great Topic! I love talking about my hatred for people/things!

Sucky:

Colin Cowturd- The guy has called himself an elitist (puke). He called the Reds frauds, which imo, there are frauds in the NBA playoffs and maybe even the NFL, but baseball's such a long grind it out season that at the end if you are one of 8 teams still standing you can harldy be called a fraud. he calls wrestling fans booger eaters. So yeah not a big fan.

Mark May- He's a hater who never gives OSU any credit. He praised Jacory Harris for putting up great stats against Florida A&M but immediately after said Terrelle Pryor only looked good against Marshall because they have a bad pass D. Right, and A&M's pass D is soooo much better...

Erin Andrews- She's really not THAT hot, she has a butter face but even worse she pretends to know a lot about football yet every time she bothers a coach right after the 2nd quarter you can tell the coach is annoyed with her stupid questions. Plus she is suing Ohio State. What a beeyatch.

Stuart Scott- His glass eye just really really freaKs me out.

Verne Lundquist- If there is anyone that goes out of their way more to bash the Big 10 more than Verne I haven't heard it.

Todd McShay- I just don't like him.

Tom Lugenbill- See Todd McShay

Awesome:

Chris Spielman- What's not to like? He's one of the best color commentators on ESPN, if not the best, and he has a great radio show, The Big Show, with co-host Bruce Hooley out of Columbus.

Mike Riccordati and Scott Torgerson- Probably the most entertaining personalities on radio. If you don't believe me you should go to www.971thefan.com and listen from 3-6 est and see for yourself.

Gus Johnson- He's so great to listen to during college basketball season. He gets so excited when there is a big play. The Big 10 Network made a good move when they signed him on.

Clark Kellog- No explanation needed.

There are a lot more that I don't have to mention cause I'm at work but I might add some later.

Last edited:
I used to hate Reggie Miller back in the day when everybody hated him, but now I think he's kind of a bad ass