View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD compared to weed

cassetoi

Greenlighter
I am a frequent pot-smoker, but haven't taken any psychedelics before. I am wondering how LSD compares to weed. I have heard from some people that the two highs are totally different, however a friend of mine once told me that when you start coming up on acid, it's kind of like getting high on weed but you just keep getting higher and higher and higher. I know that people's trips are subjective, and every person's is different, but surely there must be some similarities. So, are there any similarities between a weed high and tripping from LSD? If so, which ways, positively and negatively? (laughing/music sounds better/derealization/strange thoughts/etc?)

They're pretty much incomparable. Weed is slightly psychedelic in that it opens up your senses a little but that's about it.

The two experiences are strikingly dissimilar, imo. LSD is an extremely powerful mind-altering drug in a way that cannabis simply isn't.

I mean, when I smoke a lot of weed I get hungry and laugh at reruns of Fresh Prince. When I take a lot of LSD, I forget what I am and surf on prismatic jeweled multi-colored thought trains and whatnot. Pretty dissimilar. :D

Last edited:
I always thought that psychedelics were going to make me paranoid because pot did, but once I tried LSD for the first time not only was my life changed for the better from that point on, but there was zero parnoid thoughts while on it. To me they are 2 different beasts altogether.

I am of course aware that LSD is much more powerful than weed, however I'm more interested in knowing if there are any shared elements, given the LSD will evoke a much stronger response... will it give me fits of giggles, give me a greater appreciation of music, slow down time, or make me feel disconnected at all?

I plan on taking just one tab, btw.

complete opposites.
weed makes me stupid and slow
acid doesnt
take two..
but yeah youll giggle a lot, or at least i do, far better music, no disconnection
some time distortion too.

The giggles on acid are absolutely epic. They feel like they are electric and flowing out from the deepest part of your mind.

I get OEV's from both. There is good synergy between the two.

They both can be positive life changing experiences.

The effect cannabis has, and LSD has, are very different/unique in terms of brain receptors, and the fact that LSD is a much more intense experience.

They both have tactile sensations, but not completely similar ones.

I am of course aware that LSD is much more powerful than weed, however I'm more interested in knowing if there are any shared elements, given the LSD will evoke a much stronger response... will it give me fits of giggles, give me a greater appreciation of music, slow down time, or make me feel disconnected at all?

Yes, a great appreciation for music. Time distortion, and possible dissociation.

Time disortions are common with both, although they are much stronger on psych's. I have had trips where I was so deep into my trip that I imagined 2 or 3 days had passed while in reality it had only been 2 or 3 hours....very strange :)

A mild acid trip kinda feels like being stoned in my opinion. There's a lot of laughing and a lot of doing stupid things. There are obviously many differences though. A moderate to strong acid trip is nothing like being stoned.

Time disortions are common with both, although they are much stronger on psych's. I have had trips where I was so deep into my trip that I imagined 2 or 3 days had passed while in reality it had only been 2 or 3 hours....very strange :)

One time I took a great deal of acid, about 8 hits of potent geltab-- and I entered this state where time basically stopped, and all of the visuals died down to a slow lysergic crawl, and it felt like entire days were passing with a thought. Very intense.

I get OEV's from both. There is good synergy between the two.

Thanks for making my day, i have never met anyone in person or online that also got OEVs from pot. I got intense enough visuals from pot that it gave me HPPD, granted after abusing pot more then a dope fiend abuses heroin but that's another story.

I must be odd, as I've always felt the similarities between classic psychedelics (phenethylamines/tryptamines) and cannabinoids far outnumber the differences.

Intense focus on ethereal subjects or reality itself, logical looping of thoughts, heightened colors/contrast, increased creativity, more susceptibility to great fear/joy, etc.

This argument is more commonly brought up in regards to whether dissociatives count as hallucinogens.

To each his own, just don't ever jump in with a high dose of any drug - ignorance ain't bliss.

I have never experienced anything you just described from cannabis except maybe slight creativity and for a short while before way over abusing it things were more fun.

Even so, i do not doubt you experience everything you said from pot, but the level at which you experience it can not be compared to the level of intensity it is experienced from LSD. The intensity level is like 10 scales above cannabis.

Plus, i have to disagree, the differences outweigh the similarities.

Also, for OP, i would go as far as saying that comparing LSD to pot is like comparing black and white.

will it give me fits of giggles, give me a greater appreciation of music, slow down time, or make me feel disconnected at all?

It could easily and often does do all of these things, but it doesn't mean it's anything like weed. It's a whole different ballpark. In fact it's a whole different sport.

Yeah, very different.

I'd describe it, in my own experience, as follows:

Cannabis seems like a sort of a funky spin on your consciousness. Sometimes you send things flying in a weird direction, and sometimes something pretty cool happens.

LSD seems like a powerful alignment of your consciousness, like a lens focusing an intensely bright light into a straight and narrow laser beam. Suddenly everything is working toward a single goal, whether that's rocketing you to the heavens at full throttle, or relentlessly forcing you to confront an aspect of your life.

One thing I'll say about the two: if you enjoy the enhanced musical appreciation of cannabis, just wait until you experience the absolutely epic intensification of music on acid.

Also, for OP, i would go as far as saying that comparing LSD to pot is like comparing black and white.

Or, like comparing apples to the weekday timetable of Bus Route 152a, as viewed on a Thursday afternoon at a particularly scenic stop.

I mean, sure, you might giggle on both, and you might enjoy listening to music on both, but not because the high is at all similar. Most drugs that are worth taking recreationally will make you giggle sometimes and will go well with music. I laugh when I'm tickled, and I laugh when I hear a funny joke, but not because funny jokes tickle. Does that make any sense?

They operate on completely different receptor systems in the brain. There are some similarities, which is why a lot of people consider pot to be a mild psychedelic in its own right, but they are very, very different experiences. LSD is in no way "just like pot but stronger."

Pot slows down time in the sense that I can lose track of how long I've been doing whatever I'm doing. LSD can slow down time in the sense that you can be staring at a clock and it will just stop, and it will feel like you spent hours and hours in that single second (or like you don't even know how to begin to think of how long it was, because the very concept of time stops making sense to you). Pot makes you giggle because you're easily amused and find everything funny. LSD can make you giggle uncontrollably for no apparent reason, until you reach the divine revelation that all existence is cosmic laughter echoing infinitely through the void. Surface similarities abound, but in general weed is a familiar, predictable, comforting, routine experience, while LSD is a wild, crazy, unpredictable adventure.

Notice that I said "pot does X," and "LSD can do X." LSD is a lot less predictable than pot, especially with the more intense mental effects. You can't really predict, e.g., how much time dilation you will experience on a given dose - a higher dose makes it more likely to be more intense, but each experience is quite unique.

Pot slows down time in the sense that I can lose track of how long I've been doing whatever I'm doing. LSD can slow down time in the sense that you can be staring at a clock and it will just stop, and it will feel like you spent hours and hours in that single second (or like you don't even know how to begin to think of how long it was, because the very concept of time stops making sense to you). Pot makes you giggle because you're easily amused and find everything funny. LSD can make you giggle uncontrollably for no apparent reason, until you reach the divine revelation that all existence is cosmic laughter echoing infinitely through the void. Surface similarities abound, but in general weed is a familiar, predictable, comforting, routine experience, while LSD is a wild, crazy, unpredictable adventure.

Nicely put... would you say that, generally, for a first timer's trip on a low dose, these effects have the potential to be overwhelming?