• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Ultimate Opiate Potentiation Thread v2.0

Quick question. If you have already taken methadone say an hour ago, is there anything you can take to potentate it since its already in your system? I mean I've always taken stuff before to potenate it, Tagamet, quinine, DXM, tums, etc. but what about after about an hour of taking the done?

Because of methadone's slow onset and long duration, I don't think there is anything wrong with at least trying some potentiation techniques. I usually take my methadone with tagamet and diphenhydramine but that has more to do with when I take my IR Oxycodone (90+ minutes after taking my 10mg of methadone every 6-8 hours).

Be safe

Just used Kalonji seed oil, (or you can buy the seeds, thoroughly crush about a cup & steep in barely simmering water) along w/ my prescribed 30 mg. (per dose) oxycodone, It definately increased all beneficial aspects (analgesia, increased euphoria (warmth)...Beware of (naive) store owner trying to sell you black sesame or black cumin seed.

Either is fine, but DO NOT take both tramadol and cyclobenzaprine. I was accidentally prescribed both and had 2 seizures as a warning for either will specifically mention NOT TAKING THE OTHER.

So: a) Flexeril b) Tramadol

NOT both

I go for tramadol before flexeril, btw. The serotonin heavy tramadol has always been a solid potentiator with typical opiates.

In the evening I typically take: 2) 10/325 Percocet, 1) 250mg Soma, 1) Xanax, and possibly a Zanaflex and EsgicPlus depending on my pain level and if I have a pounding headache or not. If all but the Esgic is taken I get alot of relief and at times a good sense of wellbeing. On major pain days I will add a 3rd Perc and I feel pretty good. So, in my 5th year of working up to these drugs I can tell you that Soma is indeed a good companion to enhance Percocet, Zanaflex is excellent but I am very tolerant already after 6 months and despite what I have read I see no effect on the action of Percocet from benzos. Benedryl used to help, but does not any longer....does help my seasonal sinus issues tho. All of the above works better with a meal. (for me)

Be careful, I am 6' 2" and 200lbs and take thousands of these a year and still, occassionally will take a nap during dinner after after taking my meds and working 10 hours.....I cant imagine how much I would have to consume to get the "high" so many are chasing. I havent felt that sensation since starting Zanaflex and my breif use of Ametryptiline. (spelling?)

this grapefruit potentator info is interesting, as without knowing any of this have been glugging down big glasses of grapefruit juice (always white, never the pink stuff) before taking pain meds for years, does the human body instinctively crave potentators?=D

Either is fine, but DO NOT take both tramadol and cyclobenzaprine. I was accidentally prescribed both and had 2 seizures as a warning for either will specifically mention NOT TAKING THE OTHER.

So: a) Flexeril b) Tramadol

NOT both

I go for tramadol before flexeril, btw. The serotonin heavy tramadol has always been a solid potentiator with typical opiates.
Awesome my thinking exactly, and I do know about the interactions between Tramadol and cyclobenzaprine but its a big interaction so thanks for the heads up.

I haven't read this gigantic thread, but I spent a while hooked on poppy pod tea, but did everything in my power to potentiate. If anyone is curious, I was able to keep my dose around the same for about 6 months of daily use with the following. Not sure how this works for other opines, but if I understand correctly, it should work for most.

1 Benadryl, 2 if I'm feeling like I have weak tea or want to nod my face off
4 15mg dxm tablets about 45 min before opiate intake. Supposedly stops tolerance, seemed to work for me.
3 tablets of cimetidine, I don't think they come in multiple sizes. Anyway, they need to be ingested 45 min prior.
440 mg of naproxen sodium (2 220mg pills). This is just alive, seems to make a diff for me!

Lastly, depending on the day,I would use loperamide as well.anywhere from 4 to 10 mg. that said I feel this increased tolerance since it is also an opiate. Even though it doesn't cross the bbb, it makes a huge difference for me.

I experimented with all types of things over this week. I tried benzos, benadryl, tagamet, weed, fatty foods, white grapefruit juice. I found the best one was fatty foods. I ate a greasy burger 30 min before dosing and the oxy (neo, swallowed) seemed way more intense. Any time i ate after that, it would boost the buzz again. Works surprisingly well. But of course, weed works very nicely as well.

Longtime Lurker, First-time Poster! Love the site! :-D

I have read through this thread and the entire v.1 thread. I wanted to add just a few things, specifically about DXM, loperamide, and d-phenylalanine.

Anyone who has robotripped knows that the onset can take quite some time. DXM (dextromethorphan) sometimes takes roughly 3-4 hours to become fully effective. It is my theory then that DXM should be taken 3-4 hours before taking your opiate. Well, for me, it's a little more than theory. I've tried this, and I love it! I will take 60mgs of DXM 4 hours before taking my DOC (morphine ir, 45-90mgs), and it helps me feel the effects of my DOC so much better! I am not a fan of robotripping, and if you aren't either, keep your DXM intake to <100mgs, which for many is the smallest threshold for 1st Plateau.

I have also used loperamide for "potentiation". Loperamide is the red headed step-child of the Demerol family and is not a centrally active opioid (not without help, anyway). However, it still has some of the same side-effects as other opiates like constipation, which is why loperamide is marketed as an antidiarrheal (Imodium AD, etc.). These side-effects come from the loperamide attaching to opiate sites in the gut, relaxing the smooth muscles of the gut and allowing for more fluid absorption, reducing diarrhea.
Loperamide also has a long onset, about 3-4 hours, so that is when I take it to "potentiate" my DOC. My theory behind this is that the loperamide, once in the gut, attaches itself to the opiate receptors there, thus occupying them, and allowing my DOC to be directed elsewhere in my body, including and especially my brain.
P.S. Loperamide is good for w/d's. It won't get you high in the head, but it'll work peripherally to help stop the w/d symptoms.

Lastly, I use d-phenylalanine (DPA). I've seen it mentioned once or twice, but there was not much fanfare for it at all. I sing it's praises!! D-phenylalanine has been shown to somehow inhibit the enzymes decarboxylase and enkaphalanase(sp?), which indiscriminately metabolises endogenous and exogenous opiates. When these enzymes are inhibited, your opiate will remain in your system for longer. In some cases, MUCH longer.
I have been taking d-phenylalanine for many months now. DPA becomes more effective the longer you take it, and can remain effective for several weeks after discontinued use. It cannot be used to "potentiate" one-time doses; it must be taken consistently for at least a couple weeks...which may be one reason that contributes to it's lack of attention. However, when taken consistently, my DOC lasts 50-100% longer. Morphine is a relatively short acting drug, and for me, it would last about 6-8 hours. After taking DPA on a regular basis, the same dose now lasts 12 hours or more, and my peak lasts for 1-2 hours longer than before!! I absolutely love my DPA! :-D
I should mention that it also helps with my lower (lumber/sacral) pain, especially around my pelvis, even without opiates. DPA helps the body accumulate natural endorphins, so it is effective even without extra opiates, tho that's no fun.

I hope I get to help someone with my personal experiences. Remember to keep it safe, and have fun! :)

Ak Thunder,
So do you take D-phenylalanine supplements? Like from the vitamin section at the store? I looked this up and what an awesome find. What daily regime are you taking?

I sometimes take DL-phenylalanine 1 g with 200 -300mg of tramadol and it makes the high more euphoric and slightly more speedy in parts. Not sure what the pharmacology is on this though so if someone could explain it would love to know.

I have rx's for morphine sulphate IR and hydrocodone as well as adderall. I've been under the assumption that the adderall will potentiate the pain meds but is this true? Thanks in advance!

Promethazine and opioids go very nice together. My favorite potentiator atm :)

I have a question about Loperamide. I have heard for a long time that it's good for wd's, but I am seeing more and more about using it to potentiate. As we all know, opiate/opioid users have problems with constipation ...
Are there dangers when using as a potentiater? I'm SO backed up all the time due to my long term use of fentanyl and oxycodone as is...I'm just wondering how much lope would worsen the issue?
Thanks.

I have a question about Loperamide. I have heard for a long time that it's good for wd's, but I am seeing more and more about using it to potentiate. As we all know, opiate/opioid users have problems with constipation ...
Are there dangers when using as a potentiater? I'm SO backed up all the time due to my long term use of fentanyl and oxycodone as is...I'm just wondering how much lope would worsen the issue?
Thanks.

It seems for some the constipation from lope is worse than other opioids but for me and many others the constipation is no worse than common opioids. Make sure to stay hydrated tho! Lope has been known to dehydrate like no other!