• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Using opiates as an antidepression

Yea I suppose opiates are splendid as antidepressants, as many will tell you they tend to make you completely apathetic towards everything. Given my sparse medical knowledge and experiential knowledge of doing opiates, it's near impossible or exceedingly difficult to sustain these effects with consistent use. If you've got real major depression you might want to try fluoxetine (Prozac), god knows everyone else has.

Although I feel like a shithead for recommending long term medication to someone, that's my opinion

Second, if you are truly this against actually dealing with your problems and you really feel that opiates are the ultimate cure then look into getting on methadone maintenance. That way you aren't running around trying to get scripts from wherever you can, you don't have to worry about running out of shit, and you'll have someone watching your dosing and helping you to maintain your shit.

But really, your problems are still going to be there, no matter what drug you take, until you are willing to just deal with what's in front of you. Opiates aren't taking your problems away, they are just numbing you to the fact that you have problems and therefore you are putting off dealing with the inevitable bullshit that life hands to everyone.

I dont think you understand that i did try and deal with my problems, for 5 years in fact and that got me no where. All i want is to feel apathetic about life, if i have to take a pill everyday to be happy then why the fuck not? That sure beats the hell out of contimplating suicide everytime i turn around.

Can you explain to me what methadone maintenance is? Would i have like a personal nurse around or could a family member help with the dosing? Any info is appreciated..

I dont think you understand that i did try and deal with my problems, for 5 years in fact and that got me no where. All i want is to feel apathetic about life, if i have to take a pill everyday to be happy then why the fuck not? That sure beats the hell out of contimplating suicide everytime i turn around.

Can you explain to me what methadone maintenance is? Would i have like a personal nurse around or could a family member help with the dosing? Any info is appreciated..

Yo, you have a good point man. No one wants to be depressed to the point of contemplating suicide like you have expressed. Like I said previously opiates are great in the short term, but they CANNOT be used consistently for this purpose. Otherwise you'd be in luck. Most addicts, in a general sense, are using opiates as antidepressants, but using them in this fashion inevitably leads to addiction. That much is obvious and I'm sure you are already aware but I figured I would state it anyway. Once you're addicted you'll spend all of your energy each day trying to get back to the state you are in at this very moment.

You stated that you don't want to feel like a zombie from being on anti-depressants, but for someone in your position, ruling them out could be a mistake. You have to at least exhaust every option when it comes to anti-depressants and hopefully find one or more even that work for you. I know many people who anti-depressants have worked well for, unfortunately there are many who haven't. I feel for you man, and I hope you get through this. Exhaust all other options man, you can't quit until you're sure you've pursued every avenue of relief. Good luck to you

And on a slightly meaner note, going on methadone maintenance to deal with your depression is fucking retarded. Methadone is the devil and you don't want to find that out first hand man

Yo, you have a good point man. No one wants to be depressed to the point of contemplating suicide like you have expressed. Like I said previously opiates are great in the short term, but they CANNOT be used consistently for this purpose. Otherwise you'd be in luck. Most addicts, in a general sense, are using opiates as antidepressants, but using them in this fashion inevitably leads to addiction. That much is obvious and I'm sure you are already aware but I figured I would state it anyway. Once you're addicted you'll spend all of your energy each day trying to get back to the state you are in at this very moment.

You stated that you don't want to feel like a zombie from being on anti-depressants, but for someone in your position, ruling them out could be a mistake. You have to at least exhaust every option when it comes to anti-depressants and hopefully find one or more even that work for you. I know many people who anti-depressants have worked well for, unfortunately there are many who haven't. I feel for you man, and I hope you get through this. Exhaust all other options man, you can't quit until you're sure you've pursued every avenue of relief. Good luck to you

And on a slightly meaner note, going on methadone maintenance to deal with your depression is fucking retarded. Methadone is the devil and you don't want to find that out first hand man

If anti-depressants arent working for him & hes basically tried them all like my friend has, he should self medicate himself with what works because doctors wont prescribe opiates for depression.

If someone will get addicted & chase the feeling that makes him feel great from opiates, whats the difference from taking an anti-depressant all your life to feel normal.

By the way, just because they are called anti-depressants, doesnt mean they do what they are suppose too. Ive read & seen people flip out being on Prozac & other anti-depressants, the meds dont work for everyone & the medical community has got to stop forcing people into taking them because they believe its for their own good, what a joke!

If the original poster can use opiates for depression with moderation & control his intake & not abuse it for the sake of getting high, then he should go ahead & use the opiate. (I know that you can get addicted to opiates but feeling happy & normal beats feeling suicidal & like a zombie!)

If anti-depressants arent working for him & hes basically tried them all like my friend has, he should self medicate himself with what works because doctors wont prescribe opiates for depression.

If someone will get addicted & chase the feeling that makes him feel great from opiates, whats the difference from taking an anti-depressant all your life to feel normal.

By the way, just because they are called anti-depressants, doesnt mean they do what they are suppose too. Ive read & seen people flip out being on Prozac & other anti-depressants, the meds dont work for everyone & the medical community has got to stop forcing people into taking them because they believe its for their own good, what a joke!

If the original poster can use opiates for depression with moderation & control his intake & not abuse it for the sake of getting high, then he should go ahead & use the opiate. (I know that you can get addicted to opiates but feeling happy & normal beats feeling suicidal & like a zombie!)

Trying 4 or 5 does not equal "trying them all." There are many, many different medications and combinations out there that can be beneficial, even beyond just SSRIs. My point is, depression is caused by neurotransmitter imbalances, and life trauma (which affects the latter) NOT an opioid deficiency. Taking them only covers up the real problem or issue, making it harder to get at.

And I don't understand wanting to feel "apathetic" about life but yet "not wanting to feel like committing suicide." Isn't that essentially the same thing, not caring about your life/not wanting it to go on?

There's no doubt people love opioids for their recreational effects, feelings of euphoria and apathy about problems. It is just silly though to pretend that they're a legitimate medical treatment for psychological problems. The source of the issue should be treated rather than just trying to cover up symptoms with an opioid.

Right I get what you're saying, but I feel like you missed my most crucial point being that addiction is basically inevitable when using opiates in this fashion. And the odds of someone who is depressed and on the verge of suicide using opiates in even a vaguely responsible manner is fucking unrealistic.

Addiction will make him feel worse than he does right now was another point, that's just adding one more problem. I respect your opinion man, but I feel that it is totally misguided. Advising a chronically depressed person to pick up opiates is like letting a child play with matches in a house made of dry straw.

Firstly, as someone said above, anti-depressants are a bit of a minefield...they don't work for some people at all, others have to try several different ones before they find one that works for them. Also you have to take them for a few weeks for them to start working properly.

I (reluctantly) was prescribed one a few weeks ago, its a road I've been avoiding for a long time because of the horror stories you hear. But I've been lucky, the first one I got has worked for me. Its called Dosulepin & has a slight sedating effect which helps me sleep. Its one of the older trycyclic anti-depressants (been around since the 60's so I'm told). It seems to be the newer ones that cause the problems strangely...

And opiates for depression? Codeine all day. Yes you'll become addicted eventually, but the withdrawals are very mild compared to the stronger opiates, and its cheap & easy to obtain.

Hope thats helpful.

Trying 4 or 5 does not equal "trying them all." There are many, many different medications and combinations out there that can be beneficial, even beyond just SSRIs. My point is, depression is caused by neurotransmitter imbalances, and life trauma (which affects the latter) NOT an opioid deficiency. Taking them only covers up the real problem or issue, making it harder to get at.

And I don't understand wanting to feel "apathetic" about life but yet "not wanting to feel like committing suicide." Isn't that essentially the same thing, not caring about your life/not wanting it to go on?

There's no doubt people love opioids for their recreational effects, feelings of euphoria and apathy about problems. It is just silly though to pretend that they're a legitimate medical treatment for psychological problems. The source of the issue should be treated rather than just trying to cover up symptoms with an opioid.

People dont always use opiates for there recreational use. It seems that people dont want to comprehend that opiates help some people threw depression & a possibility to keep using them responsibly threw their future for depression.

You dont have to keep repeating the addictiveness of opiates, we all know them just like we all know how dangerous anti-depressants can be to some people & believe me, they are!

Using opiates for anything other than pain in a medical sense would be considered recreational

Right I get what you're saying, but I feel like you missed my most crucial point being that addiction is basically inevitable when using opiates in this fashion. And the odds of someone who is depressed and on the verge of suicide using opiates in even a vaguely responsible manner is fucking unrealistic.

Addiction will make him feel worse than he does right now was another point, that's just adding one more problem. I respect your opinion man, but I feel that it is totally misguided. Advising a chronically depressed person to pick up opiates is like letting a child play with matches in a house made of dry straw.

Personal question & be honest. Is this coming from a guy that has been addicted to opiates? If it is, then I know why you have given the answer you have & I respect your answer.

In the other major forum, there is a guy in there that has been taking Vicodin ES 2 to 3 times a day separating doses morning, noon & night. He says he had been taking anti-depressants since he was 13. He felt terrible all the time & was on so many different ones threw out the years. When he was in his 20's, he broke up with a girl that was a serious relationship.

He was devastated & suicidal & finally decided anti-depressants were not working for him. He too a Vicodin one day for pain & the rest is history. He says it opened up a new world. He was able to communicate better with people & be out going & after taking these Vicodin for 7 years & still dosing at the same amount per day, he is loving life!

He owns a successful business & his life is 100% better & he owes it all to Vicodin.

Bottom line is take the opiates with moderation & respect them beacuse they can be miracles for some people & demons for others!

Thats what the doctors want you to believe, dont believe everything big brother tells you!

Lol, I'm also a huge Orwell fan, he's probably my favorite author as a matter of fact. I must say though that I take some offense to being referred to as essentially brainwashed ;) I am on the contrary far from it, I know doctors don't know everything, and I was merely using that statement as a vehicle to carry my point. Anyway, I could debate the various merits and pitfalls of opiate use until the cows come home, but I'll just end it with this: That's great that this particular guy could use opiates on a daily basis for years, but you have to understand he is in the minority. He is an exception to the rule I have stated. That's backed up pretty heavily by statistics my friend. I guess what you're saying is that it is POSSIBLE to use opiates as an antidepressant responsibly, but there is a less than %1 chance that they will be successful in the long run... It is possible though

First off medically depression has not been figured out exactly, there are a huge amount of reasons why people become depressed both neurological and emotional and the link between those two has yet to be pinpointed.
Secondly out of my personal experience taking opiates to fight off depression doesn't work because the comedown or the WD if you let it come to that is WAY WORSE than whatever depression i was feeling. plus comedown or the wd will eventually happen, there will be a moment in your life when you cant find opiates, trust me.

People dont always use opiates for there recreational use. It seems that people dont want to comprehend that opiates help some people threw depression & a possibility to keep using them responsibly threw their future for depression.

You dont have to keep repeating the addictiveness of opiates, we all know them just like we all know how dangerous anti-depressants can be to some people & believe me, they are!

I understand how as a layperson, you get the idea that "if it makes you feel good/better it works!" or "it's good." In terms of what you're saying here, you're suggesting adding opioid addiction to someone already suffering from psychosocial problems. For anyone familiar with the difficulty of opioid addiction/withdrawal, that's a very cruel thing to suggest. Taking a opioid for this purpose WILL result in addiction because tolerance WILL build to the "beneficial" effects, requiring higher dosages for the same "relief."

And generalizing antidepressants as "dangerous" is just ridiculous. Yes, for some people they might be. By and large, they are not dangerous especially when handled by competent and skilled practitioners.

I understand how as a layperson, you get the idea that "if it makes you feel good/better it works!" or "it's good." In terms of what you're saying here, you're suggesting adding opioid addiction to someone already suffering from psychosocial problems. For anyone familiar with the difficulty of opioid addiction/withdrawal, that's a very cruel thing to suggest. Taking a opioid for this purpose WILL result in addiction because tolerance WILL build to the "beneficial" effects, requiring higher dosages for the same "relief."

And generalizing antidepressants as "dangerous" is just ridiculous. Yes, for some people they might be. By and large, they are not dangerous especially when handled by competent and skilled practitioners.

My thoughts exactly, I just didn't want to be so harsh lol

LoL, well one thing is for sure, this place is great for everyones opinions & it is helpful to discuss what we all have learned from our past & how we can possibly help others in the future. I respect everyones opinions here, no matter if we dont see eye to eye on certain subjects. It makes great conversation!

For everyone that says i would be fine for a while but when the withdraws kicked in it would be another story: I have gone through withdraws 3 times already after coming off 80mgs of oc everyday and let me tell you, i would rather have the satisfaction of living those days while "under the influence" then to not have taken them at all. I can deal with withdraws and just the fact that i know i feel like shit due to the fact that im withdrawing is ten million times better then just feeling like shit because im depressed. For anyone who has experienced severe depression they would know withdraws is like a cake walk compared to dealing with depression.

After about a year of recreational use i really never obtained that much of a tolerance. I could cash an 80 and be nodding and throwing up but feeling great or i could take a percocet and still have the same great feeling just without the nodding or throwing up. If i were to be prescribed say 10mgs of oxycodone everyday (maybe oxy/hydrocloride.. just talking hyptheticly) i wouldnt be chasing the high i could be getting rather, i think the placebo effect of just taking the pill and knowing its in my system would help my case tremendosly.

For everyone that says i would be fine for a while but when the withdraws kicked in it would be another story: I have gone through withdraws 3 times already after coming off 80mgs of oc everyday and let me tell you, i would rather have the satisfaction of living those days while "under the influence" then to not have taken them at all. I can deal with withdraws and just the fact that i know i feel like shit due to the fact that im withdrawing is ten million times better then just feeling like shit because im depressed. For anyone who has experienced severe depression they would know withdraws is like a cake walk compared to dealing with depression. After about a year of recreational use i really never obtained that much of a tolerance. I could cash an 80 and be nodding and throwing up but feeling great or i could take a percocet and still have the same great feeling just without the nodding or throwing up.

I've been diagnosed with "severe" depression, I've cut my wrists and been hospitalized for extended periods and the whole nine. I respectfully disagree with your stance here. My own opinion. Also in my humble opinion, 80mg of oxycodone a day is child's play, wait until you've experienced wd's from a more significant daily dose of opiates. Like say a half a gram of good heroin a day. If you keep going down that road you will eventually see what I'm talking about. Again this is just my opinion I'm not bashing you. All the wd's do is add insult to injury man