• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc IV Doxylamine Succinate

Captain.Heroin

Bluelight Crew
OK So, I know this thread is about IV hydroxyzine, but others brought up shooting antihistamines, so I am just going to throw this in here.

I have yet to try promethazine IV, but I don't have any and it is RX. I have had it RX'd before, but not any time recently. I do, however, have a *surplus* of doxylamine succinate. It is plenty water soluble.

I am not sure if it has ever been used for intravenous injection, but I am thinking about how wonderful it would be to have an injectible antihistamine (especially one with greater anticholinergic activity =D) sourced from OTC (not RX).

Knowing the potency of doxylamine's oral V nasal BA, I know I would start with an IV doxylamine dose of 1-2 mg *max*, I would only need that much nasally to near-instantly pass out whilst drooling on myself.

I am very much so interested in trying this; any advice/info? I am going to research to see if doxylamine is contraindicated for IV use now.

http://www.elephantcare.org/Drugs/doxylami.htm

Interesting! This drug must be way less potent to a horse, because if I used 0.5 mg/kg IV on myself, I would wake up a whole day later with no recollection of what happened, LMAO.

They also suggest not to use IV doxylamine on cats or dogs.

Last edited:
I believe JC, in one of his posts on IV'ing antihistamines, listed doxylamine succinate under the no-go list.

I believe JC, in one of his posts on IV'ing antihistamines, listed doxylamine succinate under the no-go list.

If you take into consideration that micron filters would be used (on my end), and the fact that doxylamine succinate is soluble in water up to 1g/ml, what's the problem?

It is obviously going to have the same pH problem that hydroxyzine does; though I would need a drastically lower dosage of doxylamine, indicating it'll be less of a problem for me.

^i believe you're right, Tchort. i might have a look through jasoncrests antihistamine thread to verify.

i'm interested in what you can dig up though CH.

from http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/522-784-doxylamine-succinate-injection-19713708

(2) It is administered to horses at a dosage level of 25 mg per hundred pounds of body weight. It is administered to dogs and cats at a dosage level of 0.5 to 1 mg per pound of body weight. Doses may be repeated at 8 to 12 hours, if necessary, to produce desired effect. Intravenous route is not recommended for dogs and cats and should be injected slowly in horses. Intramuscular and subcutaneous administration should be by divided injection sites. 1 (3) Not for use in horses intended for food. 1 (4) Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian. 1 [40 FR 13858, Mar. 27, 1975, as amended at 42 FR 60140, Nov. 25, 1977; 46 FR 48642, Oct. 2, 1981; 61 FR 8873, Mar. 6, 1996; 62 FR 61625, Nov.

19, 1997]

Read more: http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/522-784-doxylamine-succinate-injection-19713708#ixzz0wjJ8j3zN

i really don't think it's meant to be use IV in humans though i haven't determined the reason yet but am definitely interested in finding out what complications may arise.

Comparison of lactated Ringer’s solution and 0.9% saline in
the treatment of rhabdomyolysis induced by doxylamine
intoxication

article above said:
Doxylamine succinate is an antihistamine commonly used as an over-the-counter drug to relieve insomnia, and has an anticholinergic effect. In Korea, in urban emergency
departments doxylamine overdose accounts for 25% of visits
due to drug overdose.1 This drug is relatively safe, but is known
to induce rhabdomyolysis.

with further complications the rhabdomyolysis may turn to renal failure as well, though i couldn't see any dosages mentioned which are evident to such problems. this is with oral consumption by the way. just something to keep in mind for those people using large doses regularly.

i'm going to split this off into a new thread

CH, you can find doxylamine on its own in OTC pills? Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but I've only seen it in NyQuil and similar preparations.

I shot one of the doxylamine pills once. Gave me the worst cotton fever of my life.

CH, you can find doxylamine on its own in OTC pills? Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but I've only seen it in NyQuil and similar preparations.

5042853150.jpg

You can find it OTC in common pharmacies.

The CVS generic ones I bought are relatively tiny pills.

I shot one of the doxylamine pills once. Gave me the worst cotton fever of my life.

and not due to any other shooting conditions, you don't think?

I was considering using these for potentiation, but I've already had cotton fever enough times and don't wish to repeat the experience, maybe I'll stick to eating the damned things.

Thanks for the picture post CH, they do look familiar now that I see the box.

shot went pretty smooth. the conditions were as sterile as can be expected. i suspect that it had to do something with the additives in the pill but im not totally sure. i wasn't particularly eager to repeat the experience.

shot went pretty smooth. the conditions were as sterile as can be expected. i suspect that it had to do something with the additives in the pill but im not totally sure. i wasn't particularly eager to repeat the experience.

Thank you for your subjective experience, somekindalove. I know that if I inject more than 5mg of hydroxyzine (after micron filtering) it will burn slightly (or moderately if I use a much higher dose - I no longer do that though), so it is weird that a whole 25mg doxylamine succinate tablet didn't cause any burning sensation for you.

The inactives in the pill could have caused the cotton fever, though I'm not sure. If I ever try this I definitely will micron filter for sure.

I understand your deterrence to repeat the experience, but what were the subjective effects like? Did you even feel any in contrast to the cotton fever? (I have never had cotton fever so I don't know if it would be easy/difficult to still feel the subjective effects of the aforementioned drug)

we get the gel caps of pure doxylamine here in aus, called Dossile. there are also Restavit which a scored pill, i've no experience with these and unsure of the fillers/binders. i'm not sticking any gel up my arm. i'd imagine many of the same problems that arose from IVing the Normison or whatever gelcaps of Temazepam would be quite similar.

otherwise i've only seen codeine/apap/doxy tabs here in aus under the brand name Travacalm (same name as a generic brand of xanax).

palli said:
I was considering using these for potentiation, but I've already had cotton fever enough times and don't wish to repeat the experience, maybe I'll stick to eating the damned things.

use them orally for potentiation, brother. i used them quite regularly when i was addicted to fent and using codeine every other day. tolerance rises exponentially quicky at least in my experience; having to use 150mg+ and still no sedation.

CH said:
Good call Lefty! I didn't know whether or not to post it as its own thread, thank you for reassuring me it is thread worthy!

no probs, man. definitely thread worthy. i just didn't want the other thread getting fragmented:)

CH said:
The inactives in the pill could have caused the cotton fever, though I'm not sure. If I ever try this I definitely will micron filter for sure.

+1, i wouldn't use anything less than a micron filter when dealing with these types of pills. it'd probably be best to run it through a cotton filter first to get rid of the more coarse insolubles so the micron doesn't clog.

Last edited by a moderator:
as far as the effects of the drug go it just made me tired and sort of delerious. nothing i'd call recreational. definitely an opiate potentiator though

use them orally for potentiation, brother. i used them quite regularly when i was addicted to fent and using codeine every other day. tolerance rises exponentially quicky at least in my experience; having to use 150mg+ and still no sedation.

You're saying tolerance rose that quickly even taking them orally, or were you IVing em? Honestly though I'd rather be jacking my antihistamine tolerance up if it slows the rate at which my opioid tolerance grows. Antihistamines are *much* cheaper.

yep, i was only using them orally, no IVing.

the OTC antihistamines, and most other OTC tabs including codeine formulations etc, cost more than my scripts for my PM, including the benzos and muscle relaxants i'm presctribed as well.

the PBS covers low income earners here in australia, with scripts costing no more than $5.40. i think a box of 20 x 25mg doxy's cost nearly $20 iirc

as far as the effects of the drug go it just made me tired and sort of delerious. nothing i'd call recreational. definitely an opiate potentiator though

much the same experience and thoughts, except no delerium in my case. i only ever experience delerium from promethazine.

+1, i wouldn't use anything less than a micron filter when dealing with these types of pills. it'd probably be best to run it through a cotton filter first to get rid of the more coarse insolubles so the micron doesn't clog.

Definitely, I always pre-filter pills with cotton (except for Suboxone because of how little I am using) if I am trying to get the most out of a micron filter.

I also would hold the syringe needle up when filtering, so the inactives that are visible can float to the plunger and go through the filter last; this prevents clogging early on. I get a suspicion that some pills might have different sized binders which may clog any one of the three layers in the whatman 0.22um PVDF microns I use. Using a cotton will remove 50um and larger particles, which only prevents the fist layer of the micron filter from clogging.

I like doing it this way (micron filtering with the needle pointing up) so as to prevent the 2nd and 3rd layers from clogging too. :)

As for now, I am not sure if I am going to try IVing doxylamine just yet, but I am definitely going to micron filter the pills. If anything I will use the micron filtered solution as a nasal spray; the nasal BA is so much higher than oral. I would like to prevent all that chalky crap from being insuffulated. If it turns out it is safe to inject it, or if I decide to try it out at a baseline dosage (< 1mg) to test for effects/side effects, etc. then I would make sure to dilute it and to inject very slowly.

As for now though I think I'm going to wait and read more into all of this. I'm going to look for JC's post soon, but for now, I have some great chinese food to eat. %)

Sounds like it's right up my alley. ;)

Knowing what snorting 2-3 mg does to me, injecting 25mg sounds pretty intense.

I like doxylamine as a sedative (when I am ready to pass out/need to pass out), and I think it also has potential for ending psychedelic trips (if it gets kind of 8( lol).

I was also really impressed with IV hydroxyzine (at 3 to 5mg with < 200 mcg buprenorphine), and was really bummed to hear it causes hemolysis (allegedly? - I would love to hear more concrete info than a wikipedia page, but I'm not saying it's not true, I just haven't heard a lot about this).

Plus I also like not using benzos, and antihistamines (to me, like doxylamine, hydroxyzine) are a great alternative to using benzos. I haven't used either class of drug in a really long time, so I want to scope out my options haha. I thought of IV doxylamine earlier when I realized I had a perfect # of mg to micron filter.

You're saying tolerance rose that quickly even taking them orally, or were you IVing em? Honestly though I'd rather be jacking my antihistamine tolerance up if it slows the rate at which my opioid tolerance grows. Antihistamines are *much* cheaper.

I would use the antihistamines occasionally; using them all the time (hydroxyzine orally for me when I first tried using Atarax) - left me feeling kind of blah, tired in the morning, hung over - like. I don't know how to describe it better than that.

One use of diphenhydramine is like that to me though, but worse. That's why I have long since abandoned diphenhydramine. I really hate it's hangover effects. Kind of ridiculous compared to hydroxyzine IMO.