• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Secret of AA: After 75 Years, We Don’t Know How It Works

Phactor I been going to NA meetings for years now becuz I am forced to go for probation. I got a very good understanding of it, I just really disagree with it. My post was generalized but in it i was mainly talkin about the people who really conform strictly to the steps and not the average people who are decent folks at the meeting. I have experienced a whole lot of discrimination and bullshit from people for bein on methadone, i have seen so many people with terrible injuries and chronic pain conditions or who needed surgeries, etc, been told that they cannot take any pain medication or they will become a miserable relapsed addict in "jails institutions and death", i have heard of sponsors who will drop their sponsee becuz the sponsee took a prescribed antidepressant and refused to sponsor them again until they went off their meds, etc.

And im sure that aint the norm but in my experience, honestly i have seen waaaay more of this restricting limiting type of shit than accepting "ill mind my own bizness, you take any pills you need to if you really need to" type attitudes. I been to meetings all over the place, lots of different ones, oldtimers and young kids and in between, in rehab and outside of it, AA and NA...so it aint a case of just not goin to the right meeting, at least i dont think so. i understand the shit you saying and from you bein here for years like i have i know you are a smart guy and not a brainwash type of dude to blindly follow somethin like that. I see that your ideas about the shit are moderate and thoghtful and not just some do anything they tell you type attitude. so i appreciate ur response.

The one thing that I would like to warn you tho is just from my personal experience. I have met sooooooo many people who start the program and get clean for a little while, 2 weeks, a month, 3 months, and they just get so into it , talkin about how the program finally saved their life, now they finally gonna be OK, the program is so amazing, they put their all into it becuz its the truth and its the way, etc. they get really into it, so happy becuz they found the solution, all about it.And i have had a lot of those people tell ME that i will be the one using and relapsing cuz I didnt do the steps and they are "the only way", etc. But in that time, i seen every last one of them relapse and end up addicted again or goin on the "relapse/back to the meettings/relapse/back to the meetings' cycle while I been still clean. the reason why is they put too much into the program, too much weight into it, just another thing that was gonna save them, and not enough emphasis on doing the shit for themself truly from inside. i think thats somethin that a lot of people in the program dont do, and thats why theres so much relapsing and the program got such a high failure rate, becuz they devote so much time and energy to the program and meetings, etc, these outside things that just fill up their time and life so they aint got no time to use, and dont focus on really doing the work inside themself and recognizing that their power not to use comes from within and not the program or a higher power but them, and that they are the one in charge, that they do have the power and they can use it.

I seen it a lot, At first it seems so good, so simple, the idea that as long as you just do the shit they tell you to do you can be clean, it seems so freeing and amazing....But just dont let that shit blow you away too much. reality will hit soon and once it does , it gets harder and harder to get clean if you are relying too much on the program to get you thru. you need to develop the shit inside of yourself to make it happen as a permanent thing, and i aint talkin about the steps i mean the basic principles of this shit, self control, discipline, faith in yourself and your future, patience, and the BURNING DESIRE to have a good life and not be a drug addict no more. you gotta really want that shit and take action to do it like you said, which aint got nothing to do with NA, it just is kind of a support for that idea. But the real shit gotta be inside you, and it will always be there whether yuo do a meeting or not, and thats how you ll really stay clean and keep your shit together. you can do both of those things togehter, this internal shit and the NA program, that works fine but i think that if you just put all your faith and effort into NA and ignore your own power in it its really easy to end up like those chronic relapsers. They talk a good game but there aint no substance to the shit, and thats exactly wat NA is without a strong will and faith in yourself.

So keep doin your meetings, I aint tryna discourage you or w/ever. Im just sayin to be careful and make sure not to become one of the peopel who are just newly gettin started in the program and they get so excited and happy and they on cloud 9 on some shit like "ill never use again , yay NA!" and then eventually it cracks. when it does, just have that internal shit ready so that you got somethin INSIDE you too, not just the outside support of the program, u feel me? Good luck with it yo.:)

Thanks for the post. Things is I am a chronic relapser and have been so for years. Obviously it is not working. While I have seen many do the relapse and meeting thing, I have also seen people with 15, 20, 30,40 and 50 years of Sobriety. My sponsor has 15 years. I go to meetings that have people with decades long of sobriety. Why? Because they are doing something right. You can also learn what not to do by seeing what the chronic relapsers do.

Like I said, I found every excuse not to go to AA and did so for years. I question everything that I have to do in AA now. It is often then explained to me in a way that makes sense. I am a very spiritual person by nature but am not religious. I am finding that meetings in Chicago match up much easier with my concept of a higher power.

Also, my program operates on trust. I do not have to prove that I attended a meeting. I went to a terrible one two weeks ago. I left because it was doing more harm then good. At any of my older programs I would have stayed to get a signature. Now I do not have too.

If I do relapse, I hope that it will be quick and I will turn to those that help me. Thats why I call my sponsor everyday. I also call several other contacts routinely. This is practice for a relapse. I will be more comfortable calling and asking for help if I know them better. I do not feel close to a relapse by any means and have medication that helps. However, no addict is exempt from relapse and that must be acknowledged.

Court ordered AA/NA meetings are not the way to go. I know people that go to meetings and then smoke crack or shot up (or both) immediately after. This happens much more frequently in my hometown compared to Chicago. My home town does not have much to offer in rehabilitation because of the massive unemployment here. So the court orders people to attend. I do not think that AA/NA is setup for these people.

My life is not defined by meetings, far from it. The meeting is a small part of it. I do like to meet people at meetings because at least they are trying to get sober. I am good at reading people and can tell those who are trying to get clean from those that are just there to be there. The program is just one thing that helps keep me sober. Ultimately, it all comes down to me wanting to be sober. I am the one that has to make the effort. The help is out there but I am the one who has to seek it out.

I try to help newcomers (even though I am one) because I know most of them won't make it. If they do not that is on them. But I learn as much from them (what to do and what not to do) as I do from the old timers.

I hate to say it, but intelligence plays a huge role in getting clean. If you can understand what works and what doesn't then it is going to be easier. Its sad but plenty of people are operating on low IQs. Furthermore, drug use tends to cause people to stop maturing in certain ways and I am no exception. I am honestly just now learning to live at 27. I have no "clean/sober time" to look back on because I have been using for so long and started so young.

My sponsor and those old timers I associate with will all tell you that they only serve as guides. They do not tell you what to do because as you said "it has to come from inside". The single most important thing in getting clean is a true and genuine desire to want to get clean. If you do not have that then you will not get clean, its simply simplistic.

Anyways, I am going to my second meeting today. I started with AA this morning and and going to NA tonight. I really have nothing better to do today. I visiting my folks in my hometown. I am not confident enough to go out with my friends because I cannot drive due to my seizure. I need to see my doctor. This prevents me from having an exit plan. I haven't been to this meeting yet so I am looking forward to it.

I agree that na/aa is narrow minded , religous nonsense BUT i do agree with the all or nothing aproach to drink or drugs for the vast majority of addicts. like someone else said im a H/booze addict but when given benzo's or any other drug that makes me feel "that feeling" i cant control my intake one bit. the amount of heroin addicts ive known who give up H, then turn into raging alkys is too much of a coincidence .It doesnt allways meaN BECAUSE YOU WERE ADDICTED TO 1 DRUG YOULL ALLWAYS BECOME ADDICTED TO THE NEXT YOU TRY, BUT THE CHANCES YOU WILL ARE VERY, VERY HIGH IME. sorry bout caps bloody kboard

Spent 20 years bouncing in and out of AA. Did multiple 4th steps got down on my knees etc.etc. etc. Would argue with AA's about aspects of the program. Was told not to think. Was told this is the only game in town.

Have not had a drink or a drug since March. Would I like to go and get blasted right now, Yes, No not particularly, Don't know to be honest. I would much rather be happy and content than feeling the way I am right now, and It would be nice to be drunk or high as well, but then there is the comedown from that, so I am making a choice today to live in the pain or experience the feelings I am having.

Now what is all that got to do with AA. Absolutely nothing, but I feel better knowing that If I don't make a meeting I am still going to be okay. I can and will use medical science to help me and use psychotherapy and anything else that keeps me sober including my will.

AA did not work for me, yet AA"s would ask me how do I do outside AA. I would respond Not well. And they would ask me How do I do in AA. I would respond and say I stay sober. They would smile and look at me as If i had answered my own question.

They never ask me how i do when I am sleeping, and how I do when I am awake. HUh you ask! I can't explain so well but it's about using flawed logic and someone who explains it very well is this guy.

http://www.orange-papers.org/ I was told to stay away from this site by AA's as it was dangerous. this is the page on debating techniques http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-propaganda.html#granfalloon

I can safely say that for the first time in many many years even though I probably have never been as worse off, mentally financially spiritually, that I can get better, despite my depression, Bipolar, (whatever label you want to put on it)previous alcohol abuse and dependency.

His argument is not that AA works for some but that it doesen't work and can in actual fact do more harm than good. I tend to agree with him, from my own experience.

Last edited:
I just read this thread and I'm sitting here DYING laughing at Lacey and her rants. LOL!

Woman, I think we may have been separated at birth!