• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

NMDA antagonists for tolerance, a collection of the evidence and anecdotal reports

Ive been following many ppl on memantine and none have reported this side effects, maybe its a side effect of the "adaptation phase" where ppl usually notice brainfog and inhibition of amphetamine, untill a few days later it passes and most are side effect free, maybe your just sensitive to the adaptation.

It actually seems to be rapidly diminishing my benzodiazepine tolerance as I thought. I'm definitely withdrawing a little bit from the dose adjustment but I think when I woke up last night that I didn't take 2 valium I only took one which means I only took 50% of my dose yesterday.

Its safe to go up, may cause brainfog tough, but its safe.

I'm really curious to find out how this stuff affects mdma and psychedelics.

I'm not getting much in the way of brain fog - but at the same time, I didn't really get much brain fog from daily DXM usage either. I just want to get off the benzos ASAP and I think the quicker I get to 40mg, the quicker I will be off my benzos.

Any idea how long I have to stay on this stuff to keep GABA upregulated so I don't go into benzo withdrawal? Couple months?

If tolerance reduces enough so its easy to quit them, once your off them you can stop the memantine IMO. There's no problem going to 40mg as fast as possible, i even jumped from 40 to 80mg once lol.

Think it would be safe to toss in 60mg a day of DXM instead to get quicker tolerance reversal? I'm not doing any MDXX drugs and I don't take anything other than the memantine and my valium so I am considering it. I don't think CREB inhibitors would help me with benzos (maybe amphetamines but I'm avoiding those right now) so I was thinking DXM and memantine might be a good combo.

Also, when I went to go get food a few minutes ago, I tried smoking a cigarette and it was absolutely disgusting.

memantine is a nicotinic (nAChR) antagonist

any idea if memantine's much cheaper cousin amantadine is strong enough to elicit the desired effects?

memantine is a nicotinic (nAChR) antagonist

any idea if memantine's much cheaper cousin amantadine is strong enough to elicit the desired effects?

It appears to work in rodents, it does have some toxiticy issues in humans wich could limit its application tolerance prevention.

memantine is actually cheaper than Delsym if you know where to look for it. I don't know about amantadine but I have read that it is quite toxic to humans so I wouldn't recommend it.

Dizocilpine is supposed to be quite effective as well but that one isn't so readily available.

Dizocilpine is supposed to be quite effective as well but that one isn't so readily available.

I wouldn't recommend doing this regimen with dizocilpine. From what I've read, it's too powerful. Up to a certain point, you do need your glutamate receptors.

Yeah memantine, DXM, and DXO seem the best candidates for this endeavor.

I wonder if SA keeps a customer list though... because they sell DXO and DXM and I would imagine that they would keep a list of customers for the DEA, even if the compound isn't scheduled after the guy in Colorado that was ordering AMT and AET in bulk from them and selling them as ecstasy tabs.

I'm not going to risk it. The memantine is just fine - it is definitely causing respiratory suppression with me though which apparently HAS been reported with drugs like it, such as amantadine. I'm hoping the effect lessens over time.

I went up to 30mg a day yesterday. I had my first psychoactive since I started the memantine on Monday last night. I drank 3 cans of miller lite beer over the course of four hours and was TRASHED! No tolerance whatsoever. Not only that but it was incredibly EUPHORIC! It felt amazing! I had mild rushes and everything!

There was nothing negative other than the usual dehydration which caused me to awaken with a very slight headache. Normally even just one beer will give me tachycardia. There was no tachycardia with this at all. It felt incredible actually. And normally I am the kind of guy who needs to have 3 or 4 beers within an HOUR to get buzzed. I was flat out DRUNK after drinking those beers, even though I spaced them out so far apart!

I think I'm just gonna go for broke and shoot up to the 40mg mark today with memantine. I'm hoping to drop another 10mg of valium next week (which would put me at a 50% dose reduction in two weeks) but we will see how I feel. So far it is looking pretty good - I'm not having any withdrawals from the 25% dose reduction other than psychological stuff - I can get past the psychological though since the physical signs of withdrawal are not present.

Man I can't wait til the next time I roll - if my alcohol tolerance was reduced that low and alcohol actually became a euphoric and pleasant beverage, I can only imagine what wonders MDA and MDMA will hold for me now!

Went to 40mg today. I just took 131.4mg of moon rocks and I'm coming up fucking HARD! Memantine's effect on tolerance is NO JOKE! HOLY SHIT!

I love this stuff! It has a DXM-like brain fog at first but that goes away and I actually think clearer with it than without it AND it prevented any withdrawal symptoms from such an abrupt drop in dose (25% of a benzo dose is a LOT to not have any withdrawals from - previously, a 5% cut would have me in withdrawals by the third day) then you get the added benefit of drugs actually working again! I'm already rushing and I only took the moon rocks like 15 minutes ago. This is insane! I took 150mg last weekend and didn't feel hardly shit for rushes even at the peak and I'm just COMING UP!

I <3 memantine. Seriously. Amazing drug.

Okay so... Memantine restores the "magic" BIG TIME... I'm so fucked up right now and it feels incredible!

Just started on 60mg DXM per day and I'm wondering... Won't I acquire a tolerance to the dxm eventually? My tolerance to ketamine and pcp used to be quite high even without daily use.
I'm just saying, long term use might be problematic. Naturally all of us are pretty euphoric about this right now, as it's usually the case when new treatments are discovered until side effects become more apparent. So if anyone should notice anything out of the ordinary, he should probably report it even if he himself sees no connection to the memantine/dxm. :)

Actually, I used to use 2nd and 3rd plateau doses of DXM daily for the better part of a year, crOOk, and I never got a tolerance.

Ketamine I got a tolerance to and its permanent because of how much I did my first time... I've only done it three times but because I did like 200mg my first time with it, I have to do that much every time or I don't k-hole. At least that's the way it seems.

For my internal medicine rotation, I wrote a paper on NMDA receptor antagonism in the treatment of chronic pain. It seems that these drugs are a sort of 'reset button' on neural memory; tolerance to drugs, chronic pain, and negative thought loops are all forms of reinforced neural pathways. The reinforcement comes from the neurons inserting more NMDA receptors (actually ion channels) in the cell membrane, so that they can depolarize and fire more easily. Jamming these ion channels brings the cells back to their original firing threshold.

I think the clinical use of DXM and ketamine (to say nothing of any PCP analogs!) will always be controversial, because people not ready for an all-out mystical experience (that's most people), tend to find them highly frightening in psychoactive doses. Memantine, however, is a gem -- it's highly specific to the NMDA receptor, unlike the others just mentioned. I think it has great potential for treating a number of psychiatric and psychosomatic illnesses which are a result of reinforcing the wrong neural pathways over time.

I love theanine, too. 200mg of that, and I feel like a million dollars. I'd recommend anyone with minor depression, anxiety, or anger management issues start taking it.