• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Klonopin to treat marijuana panic attacks

judect

Greenlighter
I used to smoke all the time, gradually i developed a pretty severe panic disorder. first i would panic every time i smoked, so i quit smoking, but the panic attacks never went away. now i was just prescribed .5 klonopins and im starting to wonder if i took one or two of these and smoked again, would that fend off the panic attack? im honestly a little nervous about it just because i want to avoid a panic attack but if it works id be in my glory!

Does anybody have any experience or insight into this? thanks guys.

incase it helps im 150lbs and am currently on 1.5mgs with minor motor skill problems but thats about it. been taking the klonopins less then a week, every other day.

Many people have experience with this, and you can search through many threads about this.
The klonopin will help with this. I too quit smoking weed after smoking daily for years, due to panic attacks. I was prescribed xanax, and was able to smoke again, but not as much. Also, you have to take the benzo about 45 minutes before you smoke in order to prevent the panic attacks. I have taken it too close to smoking, and it didnt have time to work before I started bugging, so I ended up chewing up a bunch of xanax to calm down which led to me just passing out.

I have also found it effective to "downgrade" to less potent weed. I have been smoking some outdoor bud, and just take a couple of hits. Don't think that you can get back into smoking blunts like you used to. I just rip bowls, or take a couple hits off the joint or blunt, then "back out" of the circle.

Also, if you come across bud that makes you feel mellow, def try to buy a decent amount of it. Once you know you have a nice mellow strain, and have used it before you will have alot less anxiety going into smoking from that stash.

Don't risk it.

The weed will easily overpower the benzo with paranoia.
You WILL have an attack if you smoke. It will blow your benzo out of the water.

I dont know Jay, I get away with it.... But I have also still bugged the fuck out even after taking a xanax before smoking. Like I said, smoking some outdoor but that may be a mellow strain, or just taking one hit is the only time I can enjoy it. But obviously you have to be a guinea pig and take your chances trying to find that "mellow bud".

The environment in which you smoke is important too. If you smoke, do it with close friends, and in places that you are comfortable. I bugged out a decent amount of times, but since I was with close friends I either hid it, or told them and they understood and just talked calmly to me, like "look man, you will be fine, we all smoked and we are all fine. Just try to stay chill". Also have alot of water because cotton mouth buggs me out if im panicking. So stick to smoking at a friends house, or your house (more likely backyard if you have parents around).

So I agree with Jay that it may not be worth the risk, but disagree that you will def have an attack, but thats only if you take the forementioned precautions.

Xanax works better for me. I cannot smoke weed period. I have tried and tried but if I do I have the worst panic attack ever.. .Klonopin is a little too slow starting.. Xanax is fast acting and packs that extra punch. If you want to smoke panic free, xanax is your best bet!! Goofd luck!

Jay, Not everyone is the same. Some people can use Benzos recreationally in a responsable mannor. Not everyone but some.

If you wanted to block it, you would need a fairly high dose. I'm saying this because: A- You were nervous about smoking to begin with, and what a horrible time to continue doing so. B- Once it does hit you, you will be like a fish out of water if your dose of benzo is noneffective against the weed.

If you try to get high off you ass, there is no hope but to ride it out. This is bad for your heart.
Imagine this: Your blood pressure is lowered by the benzo. You smoke, and your blood pressure is lowered even more. Your heart beats faster due to this drop in blood pressure. This drop is the start of the whole panic attack. To you, it will feel like your heart has stopped beating. But in reality quite the opposite is happening. In a flash your surge of fear releases noradrenaline into your bloodstream. Your heart rate skyrockets as well as your blood pressure. Now your heart feels like it is going to burst out of your chest. You panic even harder. This is putting a considerable strain on you mentally. If you haven't calmed down or went to the hospital by now, you can stroke. (I'm not saying you will. I want to hear nothing.)

"Everyone is not the same" is not a valid excuse. Anxiety is Anxiety.

You anxiety will always trick you if you are not careful. The more fear, the worst of you are, the more you should hold off on marijuana, as it is the top drug in the world to trigger anxiety attacks in anxiety ridden people.

By the way. Using benzos responsibly will not save your ass from the grass.

^it does for me jay. Its the only way I can smoke. I only smoke once a year when I visit my in laws. I have to take atleast 1-1.5mg of xanax before hand otherwise.. shit gets um BAD. If I take the xanax I have a nice enjoyable stupid weed high where I light the wrong ends of cigarettes and laugh about it and really enjoy myself.

This is bad.

My question is...

...Why would anxiety ridden people try to use anxiety inducing substances? Even better, why knowing that a certain drug triggers your anxiety do you choose to try and block it with another drug that will fail (in the long run), and yet get high off of it at the same time, instead of just saying "NO" and keeping your sanity for those four hours?

All the while you put so much effort into this, that you know this is not in anyway good helping you with you anxiety.

what i think im going to try is taking 1.5mg of the klonopin, and one or two pulls of the blunt MAX. if i still get the racing heartbeat and freak out then ill say sayonara to the idea and give up the weed completely. i mean, ive panicked before on weed(after way more then 1 or 2 pulls) and i survived just fine, so whats the odds of the worst happening this time right

and P.S.

jay its because im nostalgic for the days when i could smoke all day and enjoy the high! pot didnt always make me panic, i used to really enjoy it. im just trying to get back there.

Judect, it might work, it might not. Xanax works better to me. I have both. Like I said the Klonopin wasn't as "noticable" for me but the Xanax made it feel like I was 16 again, trying to hide the fact that I was high from my parents.. lol. If it's that kind of nostalgia you're looking for Xanax is your best bet!! If 1.5mg of kpin doesn't help have .5 of xanax on hand, atleast you can counteract that anxiety.

personally i wouldn't fuck with it, i also have some anxiety problems that i think weed played a part in.

i WILL NOT smoke weed unless i have some type of depressent available, usually if i smoke (not very often) i'm also guzzling 40s or jammed. i feel more anxious for a few days to a week after smoking, not good at all.

it eems from what you said your anxiety attacks are related to your past use of cannabis... a form of cannabis psychosis... if i were you i wouldn't risk it untill the anxiety attacks are gone alltogether... and even then, if you smoke it might have a flashback effect and send you sstraight into a panik attak

Same here, I would love to enjoy weed again. But here is the difference between me and you.
I have accepted the statement below, and so should anyone else with an anxiety disorder.

From then and now your brain is not the same as it was. And your body won't react the same. No matter how much I dream about being able to P.R. a whole blunt, nothing changes time after time. I went from $50 of Reggie a day to absolutely nothing in about three heart wrenching hours. Weed is just not the same anymore, I can't explain that to you, nor can you explain it to yourself. But, you know that a change has occurred in your body, and you have no power to smoke weed any longer without ridiculous precautions of altering your Gaba just to score a weed buzz.

Sounds like more harm than good. NO EXCUSE.

It's time everyone who used to be a "Stoner" who has had a major panic attack due to it's consumption, that our time for weed has passed.

STOP PLAYING WITH YOUR MENTAL HEALTH.

I accept that I wont be smoking at the same rate that I used to. It may be easier for me to smoke again since my anxiety has gotten a lot better, and I haven't had a full out panic attack in a long time.

Being a stoner was part of my persona, so I have to be able to enjoy it now and again. I know that may be a stupid excuse to some, but there are things that I have moved on from, and there are thing that I still associate with.... Being a "pot smoker" is somethin that I have hung on to.

I accept that I wont be smoking at the same rate that I used to. It may be easier for me to smoke again since my anxiety has gotten a lot better, and I haven't had a full out panic attack in a long time.

Being a stoner was part of my persona, so I have to be able to enjoy it now and again. I know that may be a stupid excuse to some, but there are things that I have moved on from, and there are thing that I still associate with.... Being a "pot smoker" is somethin that I have hung on to.

fuck doing something that feels like shit to fulfill people's expectations.

"pot smoker" is not the best label to have attached to yourself outside of party hard types of social circles anyway. i have some people that know me as a "drinker" or "dissociative user" but i don't throw it out there for the world to see, they're people who drink and get high.
something like "basketball player" or "nature lover" is a lot cooler to most people.

Just take like .5 more than your normal dose if your scared, it'll help.

Dont let everyone on here psyc you out for a panic attack. Just smoke a little, wait, then a little more.

what a self-destructive question. you used a drug to the point where you created brain damage resulting in the need for serious medication, and now you are going to use that medication to continue abusing the original, problematic drug?

yeah, it will reduce the anxiety resulting from marijuana. go ahead and do it. you're fucked anyways. Try IV coke; that tends to expedite the process.

what a self-destructive question. you used a drug to the point where you created brain damage resulting in the need for serious medication, and now you are going to use that medication to continue abusing the original, problematic drug?

yeah, it will reduce the anxiety resulting from marijuana. go ahead and do it. you're fucked anyways. Try IV coke; that tends to expedite the process.

Not brain damage, but I get the point.

Our brain chemistry is just different now.

All-in-all, I have learned that no drug, natural or not, is not fool proof as I once thought.
I would do anything in the world to gain my ability to smoke back.(Not benzos or any other downer though.) Simply because:
I have rearranged my brain chemistry, and there is no need to mess with the GABA in your brain that is stopping the madness as we speak by taking benzos just to get a little high on weed.

Benzos, cool. Using my new found anxiety inducer/old friend, and blocking him from making me go crazy for the next four hours or so. Fumbling with pills that I need not take at the moment due to this not being a real emergency. Just plain ignorant and shameful to do to yourself.

Last edited:
fuck doing something that feels like shit to fulfill people's expectations.

"pot smoker" is not the best label to have attached to yourself outside of party hard types of social circles anyway. i have some people that know me as a "drinker" or "dissociative user" but i don't throw it out there for the world to see, they're people who drink and get high.
something like "basketball player" or "nature lover" is a lot cooler to most people.

Dude, I'm a hardcore nature lover, go fishing all the time, kayaking, go rollerblading cross country, and go on nature trails.... I also happen to like something else in nature that grows that is called marijuana. I'm more well know as the kid rollerblading around, then the kid that smokes.... But for me personally, I feel like I have a connection to weed that I don't want to let go of. And there are plenty of times that I don't smoke and my friends do.... But when I choose to smoke around them, they will help me if im bugging... Thats all.