• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Medical Heroin Works to Beat Opioid Addiction

I don't think they ever said it waasn't. And it can be both... In fact it has been prroven as an effective alternative to methadone, hence this article. .

If it's the cause, you can not logically use the description replacement therapy - what's it replacing, itself (they are the same drug,afterall)?

Technically heroin is what you buy on the street praying to jeebus it is diamorphine and only diamorphine. Not many people go into the hood and cop pure skag lol.

No heroin is not originally coined as a street name, it was the German name for diamorphine (the word heroin is derived from the german word for powerful). Saying they're different is like saying epinephrine is different from adrenaline (US vs British/European name) - believe me they're exactly the same drug, purity etc. In fact another opiate has the same linguistic weirdness, pethedine & demorol. When the name heroin was coined it referred to a product just as pure as diamorphine. Scag, smack, horse etc refer to something different (ie the street product, with implied nasty cuts etc)

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a step forward for treatment in the US. Using heroin (or diamorphine, it doesn't really matter as they refer to a medicinal product - I know my ex would say "you always have to have the last word, don't you?") as a opiate maintainance therapy has worked incredibly well in Britain for the last 50 years. What gets me is the piss poor research by people who are supposed to be writing something to educate people about the subject:\

I think your 'bad journospeak radar' is set a little too high

Well we'll have to agree to disagree as I think the stanard of journalist background research is sometimes set appalingly low, especially in areas of science that get peoples emotions going eg drugs, nuclear power, genetic engineering etc etc etc, hence the bee in my bonnet about bad journospeak - it's not that it's been simplified to help the average person in the street, it's just lazily researched, incorret and therefore by implication bad

PS

Kids just stay the fuck away from opiates, they never did anyone anygood, can't handle the pain?
Kill yourself... makes sense to me.

Don't worry, I'm not going to start in on you the same way I did with the article because you don't claim to write about such things in a professional way to maske a living & supposedly get to the truth of a matter, but thousands of people with terminal illness or painfully debilatating medical condition might just disagree. A simple "when used recreationally as opposed to medicinally" would stop people requiring opiate pain relief from answering your post with a:X

Last edited:
I think the title of the article is erroneous and misleading. Giving addicts heroin is NOT "beating" an opioid addiction. Then again, IMO neither is giving them methadone.

The article uses participating in illegal activities as a measure of success. But that's got nothing to do with their addiction! They are still addicted. They are just not at risk of being arrested for criminal activity and they can be sure of what they are injecting. Sure it's safer. But it's not a treatment for addiction.

I've got nothing against allowing people to use heroin if that's what they want to do. I don't think drug use itself should be illegal. But I don't believe we should confuse the issue and give the impression that simply giving addicts heroin is a way to overcome addiction.

If we're getting into the nitty gritty here, wiki is good for finding basic information, but putting them down as a factual website is questionable.

but really the idea of giving addicts a up to 1,000mgs of pharmaceutical grade smack to shoot up three times a day just seems enabling them at the highest level.
people need to stop with the "enabling" shit

bluelighters recognize that the user needs to quit from WITHIN

so, recognizing that, the user will have to use until he gets motivation to quit, either from a mushroom trip, a big life event, having kids or getting married, or hitting rock bottom

so, until he is ready to quit, why not "enable" him? enabling him will...

A) make him ready to quit sooner.

he won't keep going through the cycle of being dopesick, in incredible pain that no one can imagine unless youve been dopesick, all the while knowing just a hit of his drug of choice will lift him out of that pain (this is where a lot of the addiction comes from i think), then he gets the drug and immediately is lifted from intense pain to pleasure. if we enable the addict and let him have a continual supply, he won't keep getting psychologically attached to the drug as much, because that cycle will be eliminated, he won't spend so much time in excruciating pain with his only thought being his DOC

B) allow him to live a life

giving the addict his heroin will allow him to take care of his kids, have a job, etc, without the extreme fluctuations of being dry and dopesick and not able to go to work or get out of bed, while other times being excessively tired and not able to get out of bed because he finally scores a hit after a dry period

C) save money

yeah, the drug war is such a failure, that PAYING for drugs for addicts would easily be only a fraction of the cost of law enforcement

D) restore faith in government

he'd be able to live a LEGAL life. "criminals" would then be "REAL" criminals, and jails wouldnt be full of people who not only usually wouldnt harm anyone, but also contribute to society

FnB- Pethidine/Demerol: If you are going to be pedantic on drugs, Pethidine and Meperidine are the UK/US names. Demerol is a brand name- which are routinely different across and within nations. (eg MST/Zomorph/Sevredol vs Kadian/Avinza/MS IR)

Heroin can rightly refer to either the pure product or that which is sold on the street, in the same way there aren't two different names for pure ophthalmological cocaine and the repressed cocaine you can buy in a dark alley. It is medical convention to name the medicinal product as diamorphine hydrochloride in accordance with the BNF- but this doesn't mean that it's not heroin. Even the Government frankly speak about "HAT (heroin-assisted treatment)" .

BUT when you meet the average guy in the street saying he's a heroin addict, he won't be referring to any licensed pharmaceutical.

Why you'll only see diamorphine treatment outside of the US

Daniel Angres, MD, questioned the usefulness of both diacetylmorphine and methadone as treatment options when an alternative with less abuse potential — bupronorphine (marketed as Suboxone when combined with naloxone) — is available.

The drug is less likely to be abused, he said, because the naloxone would block the opiate effect of bupronorphine if the drug were injected.
Gotta love hear-say when it's blatantly a lie, am I right?

As long as you are not on any other opiates, injecting Suboxone is going to still deliver "the opiate effect of buprenorphine". This is due to buprenorphine and its stronger affinity to the mu-opioid receptor.

The trial could not be conducted in the U.S. because of difficulty obtaining funding and regulatory permission to inject heroin, Schechter said.
LOL oh yeah I'm sure the government full of heroin addicted workers and police surely wouldn't let anyone legally do likewise for any affordable sum of money.

I know I wouldn't settle for anything less than millions if I was in the US' position, and I was still using heroin. However, I am not. Thanks to buprenorphine, and not naloxone!

Participants were long-term users of heroin — mean duration of 16.5 years — who had at least two failed treatment attempts, one of which had to be methadone. About three-quarters had participated in illegal activities other than drug use in the month before the study began.
Yeah, illegal activities > shooting heroin, we ALL know that. Especially when the illegal activities lead to shooting heroin, why wouldn't you want the best of both worlds?

Patients who received diacetylmorphine had significant improvements on six of the seven remaining subscales. Those who received methadone improved on two — economic status and employment satisfaction.
*LOL* You can see why the government won't let you shoot heroin, even if it's for your own personal improvement. All they care about is getting your money! </political rant>

The gains in the diacetylmorphine group were greater than those in the methadone group for drug use, psychiatric status, employment satisfaction, and social relations (P?0.05 for all).
Here in the US, we love us some crazy drug addicts who hate their jobs and their social relationships. The US wouldn't be the same with a satisfied, happy, high functioning population.

However, there were more serious adverse events in the diacetylmorphine group — 51 versus 18. None of the adverse events in the methadone group was attributed to the study treatment.

The most common serious adverse events with diacetylmorphine treatment were potentially life-threatening overdoses in 10 patients and seizures in six. None of the patients died.

“Our safety data suggest that diacetylmorphine should be delivered in settings where prompt medical intervention is available,” the researchers said.

Schechter added, however, that “we consider the results to show it’s very, very safe.”

Diacetylmorphine treatment is more expensive than methadone, Schechter said. A year of treatment costs about $6,300 to $7,300 for prescribed heroin and about $2,700 to $3,600 for methadone.
People pay five figures for short term in patient rehabilitation or more. This is still a drop in the bucket. This should mean diacetylmorphine via injection (depot injection, or IV) should be made available.

Overall, other than the hear-say, I was pleased to read this article! :D

As much as this would be wonderful IMO... I just don't see it happening. In a perfect, ultra-progressive world where morals are completely objective and certain viewpoints are not forced on the entire population, then this could and would work. For obvious reasons, one of the primary roots of all the theft crimes in society would be removed.

It does make sense that instead of wasting millions on putting troubled addicts through the legal system, feeding and housing them in jail, and causing them to be a complete drain on society for their habits - all the while making the criminal suppliers filthy rich at the same time due to the drug laws - these addicts could stop chasing their tails and live productive lives.

Even the worst of addicts could contribute to society rather than be a burden on it. A complete reversal all by giving them the 'medicine' the core of their very existence craves so deeply. It is proven that pure heroin is more harmless to the body than many OTC drugs (constipation being the worst effect), and that addicts with tolerance are completely functional while on it, often more so functional than when off of it and in WD's or PAWS.

That being said, it should not really be an issue of morality. Although I will admit that this program is the very definition of enabling an addict, that cannot be avoided, I am simply saying who cares if it can keep those in question happier and more productive... not to mention out of court and jail??

well the USA is having a hard enough time accepting medical marijuana...god forbid medical heroin!! but its just the name that scares the drug-naive, if they just slapped a stoopid name on it or just called it diamorphine then no one would notice or care..

well the USA is having a hard enough time accepting medical marijuana...god forbid medical heroin!! but its just the name that scares the drug-naive, if they just slapped a stoopid name on it or just called it diamorphine then no one would notice or care..

This this this (the first part)

Medical marijuana is EVIL. Heroin will never happen.

If it did happen, I'd be thrilled. I'd be looking forward to buying the amps on the street!

Yeah, illegal activities > shooting heroin, we ALL know that. Especially when the illegal activities lead to shooting heroin, why wouldn't you want the best of both worlds?
Maybe I got your point wrong, but wouldn't you say (generalize) that shooting heroin, or more specifically, a heroin habit, would lead to other illegal activities, and not the other way around?

SMH at some of the ppl who disagrees with this. i agree with dextermeth when he said lets face it . some people just need a shitload of tranquilizers to be tranquil.

Some people WILL NEVER RECOVER.

Not for a lack of trying.

Not for a lack of help, of love, of support.

Not for a lack of wantin,,,

Its the people that i seen, that just fall, again and again and again. The people that end up OD'ing and dying.

I think of my friend steve, he was someone like that. he just never stopped. whenever we got high, it was like a contest of who could die quicker swear to god. He tried to get clean so many times, he tried and tried. And he just kept making the same mistakes and just never learned. He wasnt stupid. he was a true sweetheart. He was so many things that you wouldnt think of when you think "junkie."

I dont want to make this about him im just using him as a example becuz he is one of the people who woulda been able to actually live a real life with a program like this.

He got arrested like 7 times in the first 6 mos i knew him. He just kept DOING the same shit OVER AND OVER and it was like he had lost all thought and ability to make decisiions no more and just gave up let go and let the tide of his addiction take him wherever it wanted to. He was homeless in camden , callin me up talkin bout how great it was cuz nobody to fuck with him no more and he can just get high as much as he want. he got locked up in 3 different times, in passaic county for lik e9 mos, in pa out somewhere, in morris county, he would drive so fucked up that he nodded out at red lights an crashed his car right into the ass of another one in front of him...He just was so sloppy, reckless, careless, and totally un self aware that he was destroying himself. He would do anything to get high, always some kind of scheme and scam and even when he was on house arrest locked up by his moms who finaly had enough and wouldnt let him leave the house, and he would still find a way , he would rob her and use the money to pay off somebody to come to the crib when she was aseep at night and deliver him shit....I would go on, but i think its enough to say that he was just lost. totally and completely gone. And he died this summer, RIP. His mother even said to me, it was about time. we always knew thats how he would go . and it just made me so sad to think his own mother had gave up on him.

Peopole like that, would do great on this maintenance program. Stop making it this constant struggle and hustle and lifestyle. u put that siht in front of them and then the free to live their life normal.....

The whole point is that things SHOULD be a certain way....but sometimes they AINT. And sometimes they never ever will be. Some things will never change. And sometimes, to be real with ourselves we gotta admit that fact.

To truly believe in harm reduction, you got to accept the REALITY of the way shit is, and be willing to work WITH That reality, instead of some kind of flawed, doomed to fail plan of working towards somethin that aint even based in the truth of how shit is..

And maybe shit can change, and theres lots of shit devotd to helping that happen. We got rehabs and programs and committees and all type of shit that is dedicated towards helpin eliminate drug addictions and all that shit. But thats some future shit. And i aint sayin to give that up and say fuck it, but just that we need something for NOW. Becuz in the meantime, until we got better treatment for people, until we got more outreach towards ppl who is forgotten by society and left behind, all those users and junkies is left in the dust and suffering. They CANT wait til shit gets better, til its how it "should" be. They aint got the time. They are OD'ing and losing fingers and arms and gettin locked up and dying while people sit around talking about hypothetical shit on how we could and should make it better.

This heroin maintenance program is based in the sad reality, but its one we need to face. Some people aint gonna recover. some people is gonna shoot dope til they fuckin die. Some people dont know how to live no more, and even with the most devoted training and rehab and care and support will still go back out on to the street and shoot dope into their arms. Its just how life is. Some people cant be cured. but they CAN be helped. And we should all want nothin more than to do that. I am idealistic. but i am also realistic. I believe that everybody can be helped, that you can save people who seems too far gone to the rest of the world. And i will never stop workin towards that, but I also recognize how important it is to work with people in the ways that can help them, not the ways that "should" help them but wont work for watever reason.

I aint sayin we should take ppl who shoot dope for a year and have a lil problem and went to detox once and got back on dope and give them medical IV heroin all day. I aint sayin this should be some type of free for all. But for the long time balls to the wall never gonna quit, "hope i die with this next shot cuz i rather be dead than keep doing this but i just cant stop", this program could be a god send.

Seriously, there is awlays gonna be these people, the ones who is gonna OD and end up dead from their use, the ones who just cant seem to shake it. The "hopeless" ones. This program gives them a alternative to jails and death--And not only that but its the CHAOS of the lifestyle that keeps you down when you in it. when you remove that constant chaos, struggle, hustle, fear, and all that, it give you the time to actually deal with other parts of your life. Once you got the main problem, keepin frmo gettin sick, outta the way, then you free to pursue the real shit. but the problem with bein on a dope run is that you never get there cuz its a constant fight to stay well and stay from gettin locked up and all that.

So you give ppl this and eliminate all that crazyness and they gonna slowly start to recover, its a natural progression...And not only that, but alot of us can never seem to quit becuz its liike, just this one time...jus so i can get high real good one more time. just one last one, but it never works, the dope is bunk,. you couldnt afford enough to get real wasted and you keep chasing.

I know tho , that times that i copped a brick of straight fire to myself, and just could shoot as much fucking dope as i wanted to whenever i wanted, i would wake up the next day and be like DAM......I dont even WANT to shoot up right now! And i would wait a few hours after gettin up , wait until i was actually sick again to get high...And that availibility, the access to good dope all the time, kind of takes away that chase....cuz its there, you CAN have it, and it makes it easier to focus on other shit. You CAN get that "last" good high. and just like anything good, too much of it, you get sick of it. Iunno bout yal, but whenever got access to somethin so great, all the time, and its always available, its right there, its like after a month of a all you can shoot dope buffet, it actually starts to loose its enjoyment.

Even all us ppl who been "hardcore" junkies, the ones who would absolutely destroy a brick in less than a day and a half, we know how it loses its enjoymebt abd yo start to not even want to do it no more after a certain point. it aint even like you get high no more its just somethin you do to stay well and not be sick. you get mad disilusioned with it and just feel like it aint worth ur time no more and iunno, it just aint so great. i feel like if alot of us had a program like this it would actually encourae us to quit. It gives you the opportunity to stabilize ur life and eventaully, u do feel ready. and when you ready, they all right there for you to give you the treatment and help you need to learn to quit and change ur life.

I aint gonna keep going but damn it makes me sad of how many ppl here think this is some kind of terrible thing.Oh well....

SMH at some of the ppl who disagrees with this. i agree with dextermeth when he said lets face it . some people just need a shitload of tranquilizers to be tranquil.

Some people WILL NEVER RECOVER.

Not for a lack of trying.

Not for a lack of help, of love, of support.

Not for a lack of wantin,,,

Its the people that i seen, that just fall, again and again and again. The people that end up OD'ing and dying.

I think of my friend steve, he was someone like that. he just never stopped. whenever we got high, it was like a contest of who could die quicker swear to god. He tried to get clean so many times, he tried and tried. And he just kept making the same mistakes and just never learned. He wasnt stupid. he was a true sweetheart. He was so many things that you wouldnt think of when you think "junkie."

I dont want to make this about him im just using him as a example becuz he is one of the people who woulda been able to actually live a real life with a program like this.

He got arrested like 7 times in the first 6 mos i knew him. He just kept DOING the same shit OVER AND OVER and it was like he had lost all thought and ability to make decisiions no more and just gave up let go and let the tide of his addiction take him wherever it wanted to. He was homeless in camden , callin me up talkin bout how great it was cuz nobody to fuck with him no more and he can just get high as much as he want. he got locked up in 3 different times, in passaic county for lik e9 mos, in pa out somewhere, in morris county, he would drive so fucked up that he nodded out at red lights an crashed his car right into the ass of another one in front of him...He just was so sloppy, reckless, careless, and totally un self aware that he was destroying himself. He would do anything to get high, always some kind of scheme and scam and even when he was on house arrest locked up by his moms who finaly had enough and wouldnt let him leave the house, and he would still find a way , he would rob her and use the money to pay off somebody to come to the crib when she was aseep at night and deliver him shit....I would go on, but i think its enough to say that he was just lost. totally and completely gone. And he died this summer, RIP. His mother even said to me, it was about time. we always knew thats how he would go . and it just made me so sad to think his own mother had gave up on him.

Peopole like that, would do great on this maintenance program. Stop making it this constant struggle and hustle and lifestyle. u put that siht in front of them and then the free to live their life normal.....

The whole point is that things SHOULD be a certain way....but sometimes they AINT. And sometimes they never ever will be. Some things will never change. And sometimes, to be real with ourselves we gotta admit that fact.

To truly believe in harm reduction, you got to accept the REALITY of the way shit is, and be willing to work WITH That reality, instead of some kind of flawed, doomed to fail plan of working towards somethin that aint even based in the truth of how shit is..

And maybe shit can change, and theres lots of shit devotd to helping that happen. We got rehabs and programs and committees and all type of shit that is dedicated towards helpin eliminate drug addictions and all that shit. But thats some future shit. And i aint sayin to give that up and say fuck it, but just that we need something for NOW. Becuz in the meantime, until we got better treatment for people, until we got more outreach towards ppl who is forgotten by society and left behind, all those users and junkies is left in the dust and suffering. They CANT wait til shit gets better, til its how it "should" be. They aint got the time. They are OD'ing and losing fingers and arms and gettin locked up and dying while people sit around talking about hypothetical shit on how we could and should make it better.

This heroin maintenance program is based in the sad reality, but its one we need to face. Some people aint gonna recover. some people is gonna shoot dope til they fuckin die. Some people dont know how to live no more, and even with the most devoted training and rehab and care and support will still go back out on to the street and shoot dope into their arms. Its just how life is. Some people cant be cured. but they CAN be helped. And we should all want nothin more than to do that. I am idealistic. but i am also realistic. I believe that everybody can be helped, that you can save people who seems too far gone to the rest of the world. And i will never stop workin towards that, but I also recognize how important it is to work with people in the ways that can help them, not the ways that "should" help them but wont work for watever reason.

I aint sayin we should take ppl who shoot dope for a year and have a lil problem and went to detox once and got back on dope and give them medical IV heroin all day. I aint sayin this should be some type of free for all. But for the long time balls to the wall never gonna quit, "hope i die with this next shot cuz i rather be dead than keep doing this but i just cant stop", this program could be a god send.

Seriously, there is awlays gonna be these people, the ones who is gonna OD and end up dead from their use, the ones who just cant seem to shake it. The "hopeless" ones. This program gives them a alternative to jails and death--And not only that but its the CHAOS of the lifestyle that keeps you down when you in it. when you remove that constant chaos, struggle, hustle, fear, and all that, it give you the time to actually deal with other parts of your life. Once you got the main problem, keepin frmo gettin sick, outta the way, then you free to pursue the real shit. but the problem with bein on a dope run is that you never get there cuz its a constant fight to stay well and stay from gettin locked up and all that.

So you give ppl this and eliminate all that crazyness and they gonna slowly start to recover, its a natural progression...And not only that, but alot of us can never seem to quit becuz its liike, just this one time...jus so i can get high real good one more time. just one last one, but it never works, the dope is bunk,. you couldnt afford enough to get real wasted and you keep chasing.

I know tho , that times that i copped a brick of straight fire to myself, and just could shoot as much fucking dope as i wanted to whenever i wanted, i would wake up the next day and be like DAM......I dont even WANT to shoot up right now! And i would wait a few hours after gettin up , wait until i was actually sick again to get high...And that availibility, the access to good dope all the time, kind of takes away that chase....cuz its there, you CAN have it, and it makes it easier to focus on other shit. You CAN get that "last" good high. and just like anything good, too much of it, you get sick of it. Iunno bout yal, but whenever got access to somethin so great, all the time, and its always available, its right there, its like after a month of a all you can shoot dope buffet, it actually starts to loose its enjoyment.

Even all us ppl who been "hardcore" junkies, the ones who would absolutely destroy a brick in less than a day and a half, we know how it loses its enjoymebt abd yo start to not even want to do it no more after a certain point. it aint even like you get high no more its just somethin you do to stay well and not be sick. you get mad disilusioned with it and just feel like it aint worth ur time no more and iunno, it just aint so great. i feel like if alot of us had a program like this it would actually encourae us to quit. It gives you the opportunity to stabilize ur life and eventaully, u do feel ready. and when you ready, they all right there for you to give you the treatment and help you need to learn to quit and change ur life.

I aint gonna keep going but damn it makes me sad of how many ppl here think this is some kind of terrible thing.Oh well....

Yeah well put lacey... the harm reduction you speak of is the true real world harm reduction that could/should exist.

Instead we have the idealistic 'fake' support groups that only make addicts feel like they are flawed and are somehow doing something wrong... so they get more depressed and go back to using. Yeah ppl can and HAVE gotten clean from dope, but that don't mean it is possible for everyone. Too many ppl will use until they die.

The kind of drug treatment that exists today is mostly really just fund-raising bureaucracy shit, that rewards former addicts who had the strength to beat it with jobs... and punishes those who can't beat it with eventual death and certain misery. It is too bad.

FUCK RECKITT BENSICKER!!! Im about to get back on suboxone today well... legally anyway And I want 8mg subutex generic. my doc better hook it up or its off to find a new one. Cause if my insurance doesnt cover then im deff not buying that nasty orange bullshit. even tho i like to iv it.... its got a harddddd nod. But ya right now i should be able to go to a fuckin clinic walk in and get my pharm diacetylmorph ivij.... Movin to switzerland fuck bein opiate dependent in the us... the government does not want to help you. you gotta help ur fuckin self. if u cant tell im pissed because im sick of nothing happening for opiate dependent people

Good post lacey. I'm not sure what you mean by "heroin maintenence is never going to happen we have to be real and accept that"? Do you mean in the US? Cause I could see it happening in other countries.

Good post lacey. I'm not sure what you mean by "heroin maintenence is never going to happen we have to be real and accept that"? Do you mean in the US? Cause I could see it happening in other countries.

???

I didnt say that....U must of confused my post with someone elses?

???

I didnt say that....U must of confused my post with someone elses?

I mus thave misinterperated your post.

I thought you were saying here that we should have heroin maintainance programmes but we have to accept that we never will.

sorry, what were you referring to here?

people need to stop with the "enabling" shit

bluelighters recognize that the user needs to quit from WITHIN

so, recognizing that, the user will have to use until he gets motivation to quit, either from a mushroom trip, a big life event, having kids or getting married, or hitting rock bottom

so, until he is ready to quit, why not "enable" him? enabling him will...

he won't keep going through the cycle of being dopesick, in incredible pain that no one can imagine unless youve been dopesick, all the while knowing just a hit of his drug of choice will lift him out of that pain (this is where a lot of the addiction comes from i think), then he gets the drug and immediately is lifted from intense pain to pleasure. if we enable the addict and let him have a continual supply, he won't keep getting psychologically attached to the drug as much, because that cycle will be eliminated, he won't spend so much time in excruciating pain with his only thought being his DOC

B) allow him to live a life

giving the addict his heroin will allow him to take care of his kids, have a job, etc, without the extreme fluctuations of being dry and dopesick and not able to go to work or get out of bed, while other times being excessively tired and not able to get out of bed because he finally scores a hit after a dry period

C) save money

yeah, the drug war is such a failure, that PAYING for drugs for addicts would easily be only a fraction of the cost of law enforcement

D) restore faith in government

he'd be able to live a LEGAL life. "criminals" would then be "REAL" criminals, and jails wouldnt be full of people who not only usually wouldnt harm anyone, but also contribute to society

For the record, my main concern with this article is that it is making it out to seem as though giving addicts heroin beats opioid addiction. Now I know you don't post in The Lounge, qwe, so you may or may not know that I am a heroin addict, I was shooting dope for probably 5 years, before that doing OxyContin for 3. I've recently gotten clean using Suboxone. So I do know ALL about the cycle of dopesickness and being high. As far as knowing that users need to want to quit, I also know all about that. I spent a good year trying to explain that concept to my family.

Maybe its only me, maybe not... but I go through a plethora of thoughts while dopesick. Yes, mainly it's trying to find a way to get some dope, but a good portion of time is spent thinking about my life, and how bad I've fucked it up due to drug use. Honestly, IMO, being dopesick so often contributed greatly to my decision to quit sooner rather than later. TBH if I had a continual supply of heroin, I would never have quit. Why bother? I've got no worries. Instead of looking for a way to get money, then a ride, then a place to shoot up, its handed to me. It would sorta be like being on Suboxone, but I have to take it via an IV 3 times a day, and then for 2 hours after each shot I need a nap because I'm too high to do anything else. Wheres the motivation to quit? That sounds like an awesome life to me.

As far as your other points, I do agree with most of them. It would easily be cheaper and better for society to hand out free drugs to people who can't seem to quit. But IMO it's simply NOT going to lead to anyone quitting heroin. Maybe statistics will disagree with me, but IME I would've never quit had I had the option to be put on this type of program.