• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Micron Filtering Mega Thread and FAQ

^^
But does he trust himself to keep it sterile for 28 days?

I still think he'd be better off making weekly or bi-weekly batches.

^^
But does he trust himself to keep it sterile for 28 days?

I still think he'd be better off making weekly or bi-weekly batches.

Yeah, I think that for the most part, you would only really be able to make a solution last that long, since there is a limit to how many pills you can put past one micron filter, even with pre-filtering with cotton.

i just tried OM's technique on 3 suboxone 8mg tabs and 5 tizanidine 4mg tabs..
i crushed up the tizanidine and put it in the luer lock syringe with a cotton ball packed at the end and back filled it with sterile water 3 times and pushed it through, the liquid that came out was almost clear (i shot it into a clear glass), then crushed 3 suboxones and put them in the luer lock with a new cotton ball and ran sterile water through that 3 times (it came out orange of course) I mixed that in the same clear glass that had the tizanidine already in it, then i sucked up 5ml with a new luer lock and proceeded to push it through a micron filter, repeated until all was gone and then rinsed the micron out with 5ml sterile water then added .4ml benzyl alcohol.. it worked very well, there was absolutely no clogging whatsoever.. infact the micron filter is still clear/white as if i never used it 8o .. all in all the solution came out the same as if i would have used just a micron filter but with no clogging/ backpressure. i would say his technique is excellent and i will deffinately be pre-filtering with a packed cotton from now on.. i just couldn't believe i filtered all those through one micron filter and could have probably done it 5 or more times with the same filter if i wanted to!

great advice Oxymorphone. %)

this isn't really a double post even though the last post here was mine lol, it was a few days ago.. anyway onto my question.

What do you all think is safer.. Using a cotton to filter, or using a used micron filter?

I'm just curious as i always use a new micron filter when preparing IV solutions, but if you are going to prepare a single shot and not want to use a new micron filter just to throw it away after just using it that little bit. So what would be better? Use a new cotton every time for single shots, or using a MF you have for only preparing single shots no more than 5-6 times?
Would it help with reusing the MF if after every use you rinsed it by pushing some alcohol through it?

I'm pretty much only asking to see peoples opinions as i know there really isn't a definitive answer as they both have their pros and cons.

%)

this isn't really a double post even though the last post here was mine lol, it was a few days ago.. anyway onto my question.

What do you all think is safer.. Using a cotton to filter, or using a used micron filter?

I'm just curious as i always use a new micron filter when preparing IV solutions, but if you are going to prepare a single shot and not want to use a new micron filter just to throw it away after just using it that little bit. So what would be better? Use a new cotton every time for single shots, or using a MF you have for only preparing single shots no more than 5-6 times?
Would it help with reusing the MF if after every use you rinsed it by pushing some alcohol through it?

I'm pretty much only asking to see peoples opinions as i know there really isn't a definitive answer as they both have their pros and cons.

%)

If you are able to sterilize/boil the male end of the micron filter, and it isn't clogged yet, I think the sterilized/boiled used micron filter would be safer.

cool thanks..

i will keep that in mind next time im going to IV if i don't feel like making a solution to store in a vial, or if i don't have time to make one and am in a rush to dose.
i trust your opinion as you are normally right about things and always have good info to give people.

%)

cool thanks..

i will keep that in mind next time im going to IV if i don't feel like making a solution to store in a vial, or if i don't have time to make one and am in a rush to dose.
i trust your opinion as you are normally right about things and always have good info to give people.

%)

Thanks man, just make sure to sterilize/boil the micron filter, at least the male end of it. This way, if there's anything in the other end, it'll still be filtered out, and anything that would be on the male end will be sterilized/cleaned.

I haven't used a used micron filter before but I have heard of people doing this before.

Re-using micron filters.

I use Whatman .2 micron filters for injecting oxycodone and hydromorphone immediate release tablets. these are the only drugs i use whatsoever.

I used to be a really dirty injector before i learned harm reduction for bluelight: touching the tip of my needle, not usig microns, using cigs filters, using old cottons to get high etc.

My question ow regards re-using micron filters.

Obviously they will still filter out the harmful particles in the pills, no matter how much you use a single filter, with in reason.

The harm done in re-using them, from what i gather, is that bacteria will grow in them.

So is it safe to say that it would be better for me to re-use the microns until i can resupply with some more, better than just going without them and not getting any filtration beyond what cotton gives, and risking cotton fever? is the risk any greater than using old cottons ( minus the risk of cotton fever, i mean the risk the comes from bacteria growing in the old cotton )?

I have a 190 degree water spicket in my house for instant tea and coffee and stuff like that. would it be advisable to run some water from this thru them to help destroy any bacteria?

i really want to use the microns even though ive used them each a few times because i really enjoy the peace of mind that comes from knowing that im not shooting microcrystalline cellulose into myself. So if all im risking is contamination from bacteria ( which could concieveably occur at half a dozen other stages of prepping the shoot anyway ), would it be better to reuse the microns, or just use new cottons til i get more? i would have to guess reuse the microns, because even when used heavily i still believe im getting the filtration benefits, which are probably far more significant than the no-bacteria- growing-in-moisture of a fresh homemade cotton filter?

any thoughts?
thanks
odk

You shouldn't reflush the filter at a later time, but it would be better than not using one at all. I wouldn't want to use one more than a few days on the trot though, flush it through with water afterwards, you are doing that anyway to get the leftover out right? just run a few more cc's of sterile water through will help keep it clean. not hot though.

Never use the same cotton, just get the large sized cig filters, they are fine to use, and cheap as shit..

Also for hydro you wanna be using the 5 piggybacked with a .2 if you can, will get more out of it, and even cleaner..

Try and get as many as you can at a time, really you should be chucking them after each session

Quick question.
When I am micron filtering small amounts of fluid, I find that I "lose" quite a bit of the solution.

For instance, I tried to mircron filter 2ml and the resulting solution after it was filtered was just 1ml. However, if I unscrew the now empty syringe, fill it with air, screw it back on the micron filter and then push down, I am able to recover the remaining solution that was trapped in the filter.

Is this safe practice? I just want to make sure that by doing a follow up push with air, I am not pushing any of the insoluble crap that I was trying to filter out in the first place.

Does anyone else do this?

Thanks man, just make sure to sterilize/boil the micron filter, at least the male end of it. This way, if there's anything in the other end, it'll still be filtered out, and anything that would be on the male end will be sterilized/cleaned.

I haven't used a used micron filter before but I have heard of people doing this before.

Heating the filters can cause the membrane to break.

Heating the filters can cause the membrane to break.

yeah, I would never do it myself, but people have posted "guidelines" that apparently were posted by the manufacturer?

Quick question.
When I am micron filtering small amounts of fluid, I find that I "lose" quite a bit of the solution.

For instance, I tried to mircron filter 2ml and the resulting solution after it was filtered was just 1ml. However, if I unscrew the now empty syringe, fill it with air, screw it back on the micron filter and then push down, I am able to recover the remaining solution that was trapped in the filter.

Is this safe practice? I just want to make sure that by doing a follow up push with air, I am not pushing any of the insoluble crap that I was trying to filter out in the first place.

Does anyone else do this?

That's a safe practice. The micron filter eats up about 0.5 to 1 mL of solution. You can use added air to push it through, or you can add in another 1 or 2 ml and it should thoroughly remove all the active ingredient that might be inside of it.

The best way to utilize micron filters is to dilute the solution as much as possible, and then if necessary/desired, to evaporate off some of the water after filtration.

hey whats a good website to order filters and stuff at? im not sure if the the links at the beginning of thread are still accurate they are rather old..

Thanks

Where the u is the Greek mu symbol.

Hold alt and type: 230 (use numpad)

alt + 230 = µ

If thats what you meant.
This I guess, is helpful to anyone else who wants to know how to make that symbol. ;)

I have some µ-ing to do ;) hehe

Question about bacteriostatic water.

If you have a 30ml vial of bacteriostatic water, pop the protective top off, insert a needle into the rubber stopper and draw out some the water, can you use the remaining water in the vial days/weeks later, or once you have removed the protective top, is the water no longer sterile?

I imagine it would remain safe for awhile, but does anyone know for sure, and if so, how long would this vial of water remain safe for use assuming it is kept at room temp.

hey whats a good website to order filters and stuff at? im not sure if the the links at the beginning of thread are still accurate they are rather old..

Thanks

They are still accurate. I still purchase from all of these companies. :)

I don't go through GPZ anymore though, just the other two.

Question about bacteriostatic water.

If you have a 30ml vial of bacteriostatic water, pop the protective top off, insert a needle into the rubber stopper and draw out some the water, can you use the remaining water in the vial days/weeks later, or once you have removed the protective top, is the water no longer sterile?

I imagine it would remain safe for awhile, but does anyone know for sure, and if so, how long would this vial of water remain safe for use assuming it is kept at room temp.

I believe once you get some of the bacteriostatic water out, you want to use it within 28 days.

You also want to wipe off the top of the bac. water vial with an alcohol wipe before putting the needle in.

The cap on the top just signifies that it's still brand new and no one has touched it since it has been manufactured. The seal in the vial is good enough to ensure it'll be fine for a long time.

Once you puncture through the seal though I believe you should use it up in 28 days.

I have saved liquid in a bac. water vial for a while (maybe 1-2 weeks) and then used the rest later; but as long as I used what I micron filtered within 28 days later I was always fine.

I would recommend using up the bac. water vial by 28 days though just to be safe. That's a good question.

Keep in mind I have used tap water for IVing for over a whole year and I also used a lot of the 5mL tubes of "sterile water" they hand out at the needle exchange I go to.

Captain.Heroin, Do you live in the states? Europe? I have never heard of a 'needle exchange' the way you put it. If i go to a pharmacy in Massachusetts looking for things like filters, they're clueless and tell me to go to the nearest hospital in search of the items. I can't just walk around a hospital hoping to buy stuff like wheel filters, tubes of sterile water. I tried once and they called security on me. So how can i get this stuff?

*Edit*
I'm afraid to walk into pharmacies around here asking for 25CC luer lock syringes, 18 gauge needle tips, micron/wheel filters, bacteriostatic water.

-Tim

Last edited:
Captain.Heroin, Do you live in the states? Europe? I have never heard of a 'needle exchange' the way you put it. If i go to a pharmacy in Massachusetts looking for things like filters, they're clueless and tell me to go to the nearest hospital in search of the items. I can't just walk around a hospital hoping to buy stuff like wheel filters, tubes of sterile water. I tried once and they called security on me. So how can i get this stuff?

*Edit*
I'm afraid to walk into pharmacies around here asking for 25CC luer lock syringes, 18 gauge needle tips, micron/wheel filters, bacteriostatic water.

-Tim

Yeah I live in the United States.

Look at the first post, there are online companies that will sell you these things.

Most pharmacies don't sell these items w/o a prescription. They do carry them however, at least some of them.

Yeah I live in the United States.

Look at the first post, there are online companies that will sell you these things.

Most pharmacies don't sell these items w/o a prescription. They do carry them however, at least some of them.

hey a while back one of you mods told someone to pm darkaholic(sp) to get info to get micron filters. Ive dealt with his friend who gets them a long time ago but lost contact. Now receantly i tried pming dark and havent gotton any reply and I need these filters badly. if I cant get him to help then where can I get them?