• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Quick Question About Poppy Tea: Would Using a Coffeemaker...

luam

Greenlighter
Would using a coffeemaker destroy some of the alkaloids?

I've looked everywhere and have found no answer to this. People have praised the coffeemaker method, but have missed the fact that it does put boiling water on the grounds - which I would think would destroy some alkaloids.

Because it's not just sitting there boiling though, maybe it wouldn't have that much of an effect. What do you think?

I guess in theory it would work, but for some reason I'd rather use a regular pot on the stove. That is what I always used when i made pod tea and it always worked well and produced excellent results for me.

SWIM has tried both, and the coffeemaker is definitely the easiest. He's just wondering if he's losing out on some potency with the boiling water of the coffeemaker. Obviously on a stove with constant boiling you are going to lose some, but he's curious if the same would happen with how the coffeemaker is set up.

Last edited:
bump.. id really like to no the answer to this also, as i am planning on making some tonight with a coffee maker.

I used to love the coffee maker. I would leave the lid to the water compartment cracked a tiny bit (like with a toothpick or something) so that the water didn't completely boil (or rather, boiled at a lower temp, so wasn't as hot when it hit the grounds) and always had good luck. I'm sure you will lose a little bit no matter how you do it, but this method always worked for me. If you are that worried, add a buffer layer of like 1/8" of green tea or some kind of trimmings on top to take the brunt of the boiling water, then as it is forced through the grounds it won't burn off too many alkaloids.
Plus you can set it on a timer and have pod tea when you want it. If there was still an easy way to get pods I would do this all the time.

^not to mention codeine accounts for about 1% of the effects... in the figures I've seen on alkaloid composition, there's about 10x as much morphine present and morphine is about 10x as potent orally.

People often steep their tea for much longer than the water would be exposed to the pods in the coffeemaker so unless most people steep for longer than necessary, you might be losing out for THAT reason.

jpinky, aren't you looking to consume seed tea?

As I told you in the PM, the alkaloids are on the outside of the seeds (assuming they are not washed) and you don't even need hot water. If you use hot water, you're just going to get more of the fats and wax and shit so its going to be MUCH nastier without any benefit over using cold liquid.

I ordered some medium pods and attempted this using both the stovetop and coffeemaker methods. I had terrible results both times. I think this is due to inferior pods, however I ordered mine from a vendor widely renowned for the err... aesthetic highs produced by their pods.

yes i was planning on drinking it. would this method work?
get a bunch of McGormick poopy seeds. add cold water lemon juice and (alcohol?) shake for an hour. drink? ive read that even tho they wash them, they dont get all the good stuff off. so if u just get shit load ull still get high.

Nothing better than smoking opium in a North Thailand opium den with the Lahu Hill Tribe. The difficult thing is trying to get out once you start. So so cheap as well. Jeez, those lamp-ladies must have 400 degree C heat resistant hands. What an experience.

If you're going to eat prepared opium make sure you take with a hot coffee or tea. I made the mistake of necking quite a large tacky piece and was really ill for two days. :(

when pods stopped being available from a certain large internet auction based retailer, I stopped ordering them, because now basically all the companies have the market cornered and all the pods my friends or whatnot have bought have turned out to be shit. I used to cook up some great tea/ smokeable tar/ pantopon salts from pods, and the coffemaker was usually the first step. It works well.

Plugging opiates is highly, highly recommended over oral as the BAs of all opiates are Much higher using that ROA.

Good luck :)

This is just not true. Especially with morphine, the primary constituent of pod/seed tea, the oral and rectal BA's are both about 25-30%. Most sites just list the BA as oral/rectal since its widely regarded that they are the same.

You'll get quicker absorption via the rectal route, but the consensus is not an advantage in BA.

Exactly like cane said not to mention I've heard countless stories of people outright fvckn it up.
You would have to steep, strain, then with incredible patience evaporate that shit just so it was ready to plug. That would prob take what.. like a week just to prepare each dose? Would be terrible to go through all that work just to find pluggin just isn't reliable.

My theory is once all the water evaporates something thickens in the solution and prevents absorption. But in the pod thread its like one story after another of people messing it up. I think I saw one person succeed and they said it wasn't even worth it. G/luck either way though.

I've used a coffeemaker before and it does not work well. The grinds aren't stepped enough, water passes through to fast. Think of it like tea- you gotta steep it for a bit to get a strong cup. I bet a french press would work well but have never tried it.

if i were to do this i would put the filtered results back into where the water goes and let it pass through a second or third time, just to be sure you got as much out of it as possible.
I did it with kratom and running the water/filtered mixture through 3x was just as effective for me as gulping down grams of powder.
I would actually bring the shit to work in the morning and say it's coffee.

EDIT: im not talking about plugging.. just making a drink outta it.

^I tried that too but it made such a mess in the coffee maker and was a bitch to clean!

If we're talking pods or kratom here, I would definitely recommend grinding as finely as possible and putting that in large gelcaps instead of consuming nasty tea or anything. I would much rather swallow 10 or 20 pills any day that make a huge mess in my coffee maker and then have to choke down.

As long as the water used to steep the straw doesnt come to a boil while it is steeping, the alkaloids should be fine. Ive made the tea thousands of times in about ten different ways and the only thing that ever made the tea weaker was too high a temperature.

The best methods were a pot on the stove and the french-press. Also, adding some lemon juice seems to aid in extraction.

^I should've qualified my statements... MANY people feel they get more enjoyable effects from plugging. BA is not the only relevant factor here but many people treat it as such.

I can attest that (practically) a french press coffee device works great to brew and prepare pod tea. It allows you to steep all of the pod material thoroughly and filter it thoroughly as well. I used this method the one time I tried poppy pods.