• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Quick Question About Poppy Tea: Would Using a Coffeemaker...

Coffee maker works well and is nice and easy. I always feels like I'm not getting all the alkaloids, tho, because if you think about it it's only steeping for a second. I like to just put it all on the stove in a pot and let it slowly come to an almost boil. Also, throwing in some vitamin C seems to help, although it makes it taste sour and bitter instead of just bitter. But be careful with that shit regardless. It is some nasty shit to get off of. WD's last FOREVER.

<snip>

Last edited by a moderator:
^Source and price discussion aren't allowed here.

If you want to improve the taste of pod tea, you could look into miracle berries ...you eat them and they make sour and bitter foods taste sweet.

I don't mind the taste at all.. its earthy.
wierd because everyone is always on about how nasty it tastes.
I boil the water in a pot, take it off the heat and wait 5 minutes before pouring it over the powdered pods. works wonders every time.

The morphine in its 'natural' state -like it is in opium- is NOT simply the alkaloid! It is the meconate salt of morphine (morphinate) and it IS soluble in just water.

The problem is that if you're only working with a dose-sized quantity of it, you don't want to take the risk that other things in the mix are going to drop the pH into its alkaloidal state (pH 9.8 ), where its very insoluble in most things, water included. The best bet on getting all the M out is to add a food-grade acid (citric, small amount of phosphoric, etc) to drop the pH to at least 2 units below that, but I'd shoot for a pH of about 4 or 5 just to be sure.

SUMMARY: Add lemon juice to your tea water until it tastes tart, doesn't need to be out-of-control sour

THINGS THAT KILL M : Extremes of pH, temp, or time in solution exposed to air. The combination of these factors exponentially increase the rate of M destruction (i.e. boiling pods with HCl in open air for a day will wreck it). But with pH of what you're working with, and how paranoid we are about wasting drugs, you're not going to lose an appreciable amount.... unless you forget about it on the stove and let it boil down to nothing.

Just keep in mind "pH, temp, and time" when you're working with opiates. Keep away from extremes and you'll never notice what you've lost ;)

Last edited:
This is gonna get a little technical, but I'll try to limit the organic chem jargon. Its actually much easier to understand diagrammatically. If I'm unclear about something, or you're having a hard time with it, let me know

Morphine is complicated. Most drugs have one functional group that ionises (becomes charged depending on the pH of the solution), and for the most part this is the NH3/NH4+ amine group. This group becomes charged when the solution gets more acidic (more H+) because the amine group is a proton acceptor. When only one ionisable group is on a molecule, the molecule carries the charge of that group, so when that group changes charge (neutral <=> positive) so does the molecule. When organic compounds (amphetamines, for example) are neutrally charged, they behave like a hydrocarbon and dissolve (generally) in non-polar (toluene etc.) solvents. When they become charged, they interact more with water (polar, like a magnet - + and - poles).

So, lets say we're talking about speed- its amine group will have a specific pKa (ionisation constant) which, in practical terms, represents the pH value where it is HALF ionised (i.e. half of the molecules are charged, the other half are neutral). As you make the solution more acidic, more of the amine groups will accept a proton to become charged, making a greater proportion of water soluble speed ions. The transformation is functionally complete at +/- 2 pH units (99% converted one way or the other). If you add acid to this simple amine and then dry it out, you have the acid addition salt called 'amphetamine [acid you used, typ. HCl]". If you add a base, you get the free alkaloid (freebase).

Morphine has a second ionisable group, a phenol group (OH/O-), that behaves in the opposite way. Add acid and the group keeps its proton, add enough base and the proton is stripped leaving a charged O- group. This is the morphinate anion, and exists at pH higher than 10. It is water soluble.

To recap, morphine is soluble in water up to pH 9.8 (isoelectric point, 'true alkaloid') as the morphine cation, becomes neutral and insoluble at pH 9.8 (both groups contribute evenly to charge, cancelling each other out), then becomes soluble again above pH 9.8 as the morphinate anion (meconate),

The plant presumably keeps it in anionic form for transport purposes.

To answer the question, calcium morphinate is soluble in PURE water which has a neutral pH. The water doesn't influence the character of the salt because its got nothing in it. If you added pure calcium morphinate to water, the morphinate would change the pH of the water.

If you're adding the morphinate to a buffered solution, that's different cause there are acids/bases that have a greater influence over the solutes.

So the short version is that plain deionised water will easily dissolve the meconate, but if there are other acids and bases in the solution, the charge of the morphine is at their mercy.

I know, long winded and kinda shitty, hopefully that helped a little for someone. I'm better at answering questions about this stuff than explaining it in full, so if you're interested please pick at the bits that I made overly complicated or glossed over.

Paradox

The search facility doesn't work on my iPhone and I know this has been discussed before... are dried pods much weaker than fresh ones? How many dried Giganteum pods, on average, would it take to get high?

Great! I'm glad you got it. I love it when one of my degrees actually gets used for something .... sooo much money blehhh :(

Regarding the lime (base), that's added to dissolved opium to ensure and encourage the M to remain as the morphinate (meconate salts ARE calcium salts of morphinate). So the lime buffers the morphine solution at a high pH to keep all the M dissolved.

Without it, any small addition of acid, or acidic salt, could drop the pH of the solution, affecting yield. This illustrates the importance of the pKa really well:

pH 11.8 - 99% of morphine is in morphinate state, 1% as neutral Morphine
pH 10.8 - 90% of morphine is in morphinate state, 10% as neutral Morphine
pKa = pH 9.8 - its 50%/50%

Some of you even without chem backgrounds will notice the pattern here - its a logarithmic relationship: that lowercase 'p' means "-log" (negative log), not "potential" or whatever you thought it stood for. pH really just means "-log[H+]" (negative log of the H+/hydronium ion concentration).

... the more you know