• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What Did You Do For Your Education/Career Today?

I'm well-versed in the life of a tax person. My mother was an active CPA every tax season while I was a kid then switched to full-time once I was out of elementary school. :) And yes, I'm looking forward to ramblings of old tax gurus. I actually have a meeting with my mom's old boss (and by old I mean she was employed by him 30 years ago) next week!

We met by complete chance: i.e. "Amy ******? Are you Betty ******'s daughter?" "Why yes!"

Good luck with your new pathway!

Hahahahaha. You are going to love it, ask one of the old timers about the nastiest/most persistent beneficiary he's ever encountered and you'll come away with something to tell at the bar (drinking, not exam). I'll tell you mine (per my retired boss) someday. :D

I'm considering a CPA path, but there are three alternatives... more on that privately. <3 Best of luck with your meeting; in "our" field it truly is a lot about who you know.

Reading a chapter on cancer, and then another on blood disorders. Lots to do, so not a fun weekend.

Covered 3 chapters of abnormal psych in the past couple of days, and I feel I did well on the midterm this morning! :) I also had an especially good chem lab today! About to do some massive studying for a bio midterm tomorrow.. eek. :\

I don't even want to think about the amount of homework I have in the next week. :| I will be forced to do this very soon (tonight) and turn a bunch in tomorrow... DO NOT WANT...

but I have been putting out networking feelers and writing cold-call letters and emails. I've gotten responses (the funniest of which asked me for sex) but none so promising as this:

Potential New Boss said:
I'm responding to your letter dated _____________. I have a tax business in the [area] and am seeking a preparer for the 2010 season.

In general, I have hired only people who have prepared taxes for at least a year or two, but I liked the initiative you have shown and the tone and style of your letter so would like to talk with you and see whether this might work out anyway.

You may visit my website at ______________ to find out more about me and my practice. If you have an interest in possibly working with me this season, please call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX

!!!!!!!!!!!

This is from a freaking cold-call letter!

I'm waiting for a call back from the woman with nerves on fire! Wish me luck please. Even if it doesn't work out, I still took a lot of initiative (and criticism - some people don't believe I have to sell myself to get the job I want). It would start after the holidays, so I would have a month to play =D

Oh, and my final is due a week from today. 8o

Congrats Mariposa!! :) That's great!

I had a pretty tough midterm earlier.. I should have been more prepared and I don't think I did very well. Blah. Discouraging, but the final exam is worth a lot so I'll just have to work my ass off until then!

Had a productive afternoon at work, which feels good. Meeting a classmate in an hour to hopefully finish up a presentation we have to give next week...and sooo much more to do after that. x.x

Sucked it up and a took a victim imact statement from a very young victim. It sucked balls, but it makes it more probable the fucker dies in a cage.

and doing hat kinda work is always helpful towards your next rank.

Outstanding job Mariposa. Keep it up!

Nice going Extraordinary. Those sound like some tough subjects.

Rangerz, tough job, and afterward it might be useful to do something that reminds you of the balance in the world, even if you don't feel like it. Go out with some friends (don't go get hammered and angry), see a funny movie, go for a run or a hike, etc. Don't nurture whatever anger you might have. It's part of the job, it involves dealing with an unpleasant aspect of life, but it's actually a small part of life, and you've got to keep it all in perspective to avoid burning out.

Redleader and BA, thanks again to both for the advice. I confused the author recommended to me (Spivak) with the book I actually have (Courant and John). Now that I have the Spivak, it does look quite a bit easier relative to the book I have, though it's not quite as travel friendly. My major problem with Courant is the paucity of problems, and the lack of any solutions to the problems that are given. As far as why I'm reading any of this BA, I simply enjoy learning, and while I've always been good at solving problems I never took any higher-level mathematics courses beyond calculus, and so much of the language and many of the concepts are simply alien to me. It's also a pleasure to encounter a subject that is new in many respects, and presents some challenges to learn and understand.

Sucked it up and a took a victim imact statement from a very young victim. It sucked balls, but it makes it more probable the fucker dies in a cage.

and doing hat kinda work is always helpful towards your next rank.

I know unneeded bru, but much respect for such a job. If I hug you next time, it's not for my usual reasons. Its for the strength of doing a job like this.

Well, this was yesterday but I gave a speech in front of 75+ people in my Constitutional Law II class. I opened up to questions after my speech and was afraid of basically being interrogated but everybody was really nice. People kept coming up to me after class telling me how well I did. I was pretty nervous prior to getting up there so this was a nice surprise. :)

Last night I went to a conference dinner attended by many respected Australian sociologists whose ranks I hope to one day join. The booze was free, I drank too much, and I introduced myself to an established professor with a jocular, friendly, "Who the fuck are you?"

Oh dear.

heh...I bet Michael Burawoy could be charming enough to get away with that (He was really drunk at the 2008 post Berkeley Journal of Sociology conference to boot).
Oh...I answered students' questions about their take-home final, due tomorrow.
One about was whether WWII is valid a post-WWII event to focus on. I hope to receive a trippy as fuck essay about causation, focusing on events that precede themselves. ;)

ebola

I had a party with cranberry juice and cinnamon bun biscuit devices. Omnomnomnom

Then I had a jam sesh with my friends and had some more foods. Not a bad class if I say so myself.

They tasted like cinnamon buns, came from a biscuit place, and I think they had "biscuit" in the name luls.

Most likely. But that whole breakfast was riddled in mystery. For example, that cranberry juice was supposed to be mine, but it got to my teacher instead of me :?

I tried to get to grips with Kuhn whilst fighting the panic of having done no work for my dissertation.