• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Heroin and Menstrual Cycle

Katzenfreundin

Greenlighter
I have been using Heroin for 8 months now and for the past 4 months my menstrual cycle has stopped completely. I was just wondering if anyone had some comments on this, for example: Is this normal? Can I still get pregnant? If so, is it safe to use birth control? What exactly is going on..am I still producing eggs, etc.? If I ever quit using Heroin will my menstrual cycle return to normal?
Thanks.

well first off are you positive you arent pregnant? if heroin is stopping your menstral cycle then that is probably a good idea to stop using and seek medical attention. I am not i doctor or anyone with an excess of knowledge about the female redproductive tract but being not able to reproduce is probably something you will regret later.

Why does heroin stop girls getting periods?

I've wondered this for a while.

I know it really upset several females users that I have known in the past.

mmhmm, many a dope girl i've been with has stated irregularities in menstrual cycle caused by continued opiate use but taking anyone besides your gyno/doctor's word for it would be foolish so please reread:
well first off are you positive you arent pregnant? if heroin is stopping your menstral cycle then that is probably a good idea to stop using and seek medical attention. I am not i doctor or anyone with an excess of knowledge about the female redproductive tract but being not able to reproduce is probably something you will regret later.
&& good luck.

Perhaps go to a doctor? Sounds like you are pregnent.

Since last february (a year ago), I only get mine every two months. I've been on Suboxone since that June, but this began 4 months before I got on subs and it continues today. Strange. Must be a hormonal thing.

i've always had a really regular cycle. since starting heroin particularly (i never had any changes with any other opiates, and ive been using regularly for about 10 years, about a year for heroin), my cycle has been totally fucked up. i'm usually late about a week 1/2 or two minimum. it totally freaks out my boyfriend. either way though, you should definitely get a preggers test.

If you're on heroin and your period stops, ask yourself; did you lose a lot of weight? If your body is emaciated, it might have given up having its cycle until you're not malnourished. Most H users give up a lot of things to get more H...though not every H user is the same cliche stick figure.

you know, somehow i didnt consider this connection. i am pretty malnourished. example: earlier today i was too dope sick to eat or be able to sleep, and then we acquired some, and i forgot about eating after that. hmm.. i should be better about regular meals, am always telling myself this, but i still feel fat. that doesnt really encourage me to eat when im not hungry.

Word, that would be my guess too. I assume it's kinda like the same reason that anorexic/bulimic females don't get thier period...

I would go with the malnourished idea, but I don't think I will ever get a period seeing as I am a man. :D

wow..you beat me to it missy! I was going to ask the same question and start up a whole new thread about this..but yeah...same question I have....if anyone has any medical explanation for this, I would greatly appreciate it...I kinda googled it and found this site http://www.druglibrary.org/Schaffer/LIBRARY/studies/cu/cu4.html
which is the effects of heroin in a human body but there was still no specifics as to why that happens, but my guess is just that Heroin fucks up so many things in your body, and also the lifestyle ..like mentioned before..malnutrition..all those combined... that's just a recipe for disaster...or not menstruating. I was reading also that if the Heroin addiction is long enough , it can cause the woman to never have a baby! ...urgh
IME I have been on H for about 8 months and stopped my period about 2 months ago, and I'm freaking out! that's why I'm getting myself into a meth clinic right when I get back from vacation, which is june 11th! urgh I can't wait to get off this shit!
But good luck with your recovery and I hope you are thinking about it since you see how much damage you are causing your body! :D

...if anyone has any medical explanation for this, I would greatly appreciate it...I kinda googled it and found this site http://www.druglibrary.org/Schaffer/LIBRARY/studies/cu/cu4.html
which is the effects of heroin in a human body but there was still no specifics as to why that happens, but my guess is just that Heroin fucks up so many things in your body, and also the lifestyle ..like mentioned before..malnutrition..all those combined... that's just a recipe for disaster...or not menstruating. I was reading also that if the Heroin addiction is long enough , it can cause the woman to never have a baby! ...urgh

i know regularly IVing isnt the healthiest thing in the world, by any means, but i'm totally lost in why you linked that article. especially the particular page. it specifically works to debunk the earlier studies. it basically takes like a gazillion words to tell you heroin doesnt have any longstanding adverse effects on your body. maybe i just read the wrong page, or am not understanding you properly, but... wha?

Last edited:
it´s pretty common if you´re a heavy user.. this DOES NOT mean you can´t get pregnant!!

does anyone else understand the relation to the article mararies20 linked to and the post she made? i was hoping she'd respond, but i seriously either dont understand or am missing something. ANYbody? i just need an explanation, or something. i'm totally lost here....

Ive been using heavily for the last 5 years. My period stopped about 6mos in.. I have had it about once or twice a year since, usually when I slow down or have tried to quit. Basically it takes about a month for it to come back.. although I have had it when I have just cut way back to like a bag a day.. I am absolutely not a doctor or anything but I dont really see the harm in it.
additionally, I am certain is is just the dope as I have actually gained weight over the last few years.. I am a pretty healthy weight.. 5 3 and 130lbs.. I eat very healthy..salads and fruit and all organic protein every day but I also drink about a 6pk of beer every day so that is were the weight comes from I am pretty sure..

its crazy thinking about it really.. you would NEVER know from looking at me that I am a long time user and addict. I am 27 yrs old, ivy league educated (with a masters degree) and have a very good professional job.
I have been using off an on for 12 years..a bundle a day since 2003.
Oye Vey!

I'm not a chick but I do have experience with this.
My ex and me used to shoot dope everyday. After a few months my ex just stopped having her period. So we freaked out, bought a bunch of otc pregnancy tests and they all came back negative. And pretty much every day that we shot heroin, we were having unprotected sex..completely unprotected no pills, no condom, no pull out..so it was some scary shit but as the months passed by we got clean and no pregnancy. And I assume she got her period back eventually (i'm not sure, our storybook romance ended when we both got arrested and stopped talkin to each other). :)

edit: neither of us was overly malnourished. she was like 5'6 125lbs or so. well i guess we were eating a good portion of food, just not healthy food. I think the lifestyle of being a junkie throws off your bodies natural chemistry.

I can't really answer any of your questions. But I can tell you the same thing has happened to me. I've been doing h for around a year and the last time I had my period was about 4 monthes ago and before that one it had been 5 monthes. I read somewhere that a common side effect of heroin addiction is irregular periods. So I think were okay