• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants VYVANSE MEGATHREAD ⬅ your Vyvanse thread has been merged here

Confuser, I have ADHD and take Adderall, but not all the time, because I want to keep tolerance down. I tried the free trial of Vyvanse but sinece there's no generic for it yet, found it too expensive to get right now. Like you, I too have "natural" highs. I went back to college in 2000 to finish a college degree I started in 1982 but THIS time on medication. I got all A's, one B, and one C (I had NEVER had Algebra before) and graduated with a 3.86 out of a possible 4.0. Every time I got an A or did well at school, it gave me a natural "buzz", which kept me getting those A's, lol! See, anytime you succeed at something or feel good, dopamine is released and amphetamines also work on dopamine. Dopamine activates the brain's "reward" system. I guess the saying that "learning is it's own reward" actually means what it says! Incidentally, many of our biological functions are linked to dopamine release as well. For instance, the biggest single release of dopamine in our system is at the point of orgasm-which insures the continuation of the human race! Another example is eating-we get pleasure from eating, which keeps us eating, aside from hunger. Unfortunately, the brain's reward system can also nudge us over into overindulgence and addiction. ANYTHING that can feel good, and be good for us, in small amounts, can easily become the opposite if we go overboard. Success is good but being a "work-a-holic" is NOT. Overindulgence in sex and eating aren't good either. I think that a stimulant would probably affect anybody, ADD/ADHD or not, with maybe the only major difference being that stimulants relax ADD/ADHD peeps and "jack-up" other non-ADD/ADHD peeps.

I'm going to try to get Vyvanse/Xanax combo prescribed from my psychiatrist for my depression + sleep issues. As much as I love my poppy tea for depression (helps with sleep too), there's no way I can allow my self to be dependent on it.

Did you tell your doc anything in particular to get your script confuser? Seems like it was kinda handed to you with your consternation.

I'm the one who is prescribed Vyvanse/Xanax. My psych and I have an excellent working relationship. He trusts me not to totally fuck up -- I think getting high is okay with him but of course we never discuss it in those terms. It's more like, "The Vyvanse works great all day to keep my mood steady, but then there's a really bad fall-off around dinnertime. I get a very fast and deep depression and can't sleep. After Lorazepam not being strong enough to bring me down gently, he prescribed Xanax without hassle. I take two or three 30MG Vyvanse per day, and three to six 1MG Xanax. This is more than I need and I am cutting back, which is not easy. It's a great meds combination -- just stay at the minimum dosage that meets your needs.

"Ultimately, I will continue to follow my psycs guidance, because he has experience working with adults with my cognitive profile. I hope that my motivation continues on this med . . . "

We've corresponded before. I'm about a year ahead of you on Vyvanse and very similar personality. Despite anything I may have said before LOL I recommend you do not exceed max. 60MG/day (normal size male). You'll get terrible depressions as you withdraw every evening if you start upping the dose. It's the best amphetamine ever but it's just an amphetamine, not a panacea. You've got to work with who you are.

I'm fighting to get back from 90 to 60, and it's no picnic. If I can eventually get to 30 and stay there, and it continues to be of help (even without euphoria, etc.), I may continue it.

Not being patronizing, just want you to avoid the anxiety/depression aspect of withdrawal. Have muchos benzos on hand. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, and I will heed it not to go above where I am at. I might ask if I can split it during the day, and eventually lower it to 60. In any case, I am into my third week of Wellbutrin XL and, let's just say, I am a bit over anxious (even with the 2 mg of Xanax ER). So, definitely going to do something about this next week (i.e., discontinue, or lower something)

I still take the Vyvanse daily and that boost of confidence/elation has certainly diminished. After about two hours, of taking the Vyvanse, I still notice some mood elevation for a few hours than a drop into anxiety and scatter brainedness.

Managing my anxiety, I think, is probably paramount. I think that amphetamines can play a role in managing ADHD (in my case, I don't fully fit the description). So, onto another week.

I tried Welllbutrin and it gave me anxiety so I stopped. The Vyvanse may make the Wellbutrin redundant. Just a thought.

My doctor started me off with 50mg of vyvance, I couldn't tell anything at first. 30minutes later I started for feel more up and awake. What's great about vyvance is you can apply for ''patient assistance'' on their home web page, you wont have to pay for it ever again!! Vyvance is making me want to smoke like a chimny. I've only been on it since 11am.

So I only read a few of the pages, and I was just wondering for recreational use, if I usually take 50 mg of adderall xr what did you guys decide was the recommended dose of vyvanse?

I'm way too lazy to read through the pages and pages of this thread but here is what I know based on my education, and what I just researched in official pharmaceutical references, and I hope to explain this in a way that makes sense.

Vyvanse does seem to be yet another method of an attempt to prevent abuse, by developing it into a prodrug. The Lisdexamfetamine is absorbed quickly via the stomach lining and processed like other orally administered drugs via the liver. From what I've read, this is where the enzymes are that convert the inactive prodrug to the active dextroamphetamine, which can then exhibit its effects.

As we all probably know, the insufflation of any powder is used to avoid the first pass effect that occurs following oral administration, often resulting in a quicker, more intense "high". Taken orally, the drug passes from the stomach to the liver, where it processes the drug, often resulting in lower levels of active drug in the bloodstream (i.e. lessened effects if you're interested in recreational use). There has been some evidence that there could be a first pass effect that occurs when inhaling a powder as well, so as far as Vyvanse goes, in my professional opinion plain old oral administration is the best bet. The point of a prodrug is for it to be converted to its active form within the body, in this case the liver, so to get the most out of the drug, why waste the annoyance of insufflation when you'll get the best effects by taken as intended orally?

This process does obviously seem to prevent abuse...as far as I can see? Perhaps the industry finally did a good job preventing the easily abusable regular adderall and ritalin tabs? Seems some people have reported taking high doses orally and had terrible after effects, so maybe Vyvanse should just be left to those who actually have ADHD, or those who occasionally need it to stay alert for purposes of studying or pulling all nighters for work?

Anyone else come to any conclusions based on experience/research? I'm curious to hear from those who use it legitimately (or have tried it in the past) and also those who may use (or have used it) recreationally? As a person within the profession i'm interested to know what if what drug companies do to prevent abuse does actually work to any degree, and if people find ways around it eventually anyway? I know they attempted it with the Daytrana patch, but people now just suck or chew on them and got around that abuse-prevention attempt.

Feel free to send me a message personally :) I'm simply inquisitive and by-partisan. I had my days of illicit use, but have now progressed to educational interest.

Vyvanse and Depression, Surprising Results

Hello everyone, been awile :). I just wanted to share some information with you guys about my experience with this med. I've been struggling with severe depression for about 3 years now. I've tried it all at this point, SSRI's can burn in hell in my own opinion but thats not what this is about. Roughly 3 months ago now my doctor prescribed me 30mg of vyvanse once daily. The first week was a rough up and down experience but after the first week I got my old self confidence back, I was able to leave the house again, I finally lost the worst lethargy I've ever experience and best of all to me I was able to hang out with my friends again.

To anyone who is offered this as a treatment for depression, these are my results as of about 3 months being on it. Always do the research before taking any medication your prescribed, no matter what the doctor tells you. Right now I'm working on getting past that social awkwardness, but that just comes with never leaving the house for 3 years ;) other then that, things have been great.

If anyone else has been prescribed this for depression I would be interested to hear your story.

After quitting opiates, I became extremely depressed. But at that time, I was prescribed Vyvanse for my ADD. and it was an extremely useful tool for helping me get my life back on track again. Of course there were side effects but they were worth dealing with.
Of course dextroamphetamine will snap you out of your depression--for awhile. Never become accustomed to using speed for a specific purpose. Amphetamine drugs are powerfully psychologically addicting.
Be careful with that Vyvanse dude...if you abuse it, you will experience the high. DO NOT chase that high--stimulants are bad news.

Particularly if you have comorbid anxiety it's probably a very bad idea

Vyvanse is NOT a good antidepressant, and any doctor prescribing it as such is kinda nutty. Reminds me of that 50's mindset , where AMP and benzos were handed out like candy.

AMP and it's many forms do have MAOI effects though! But the comedown effects are going to destroy you if you have any depression at all.

Eagleman- Suboxone is the best antidepressant IMO for people who have recently quit opiates and are depressed... Even for non - junkies it has antidepressant effects.

-lenses

oh i didn't realize adderall xr was shire! well, then it's definitely just a ploy to keep their market share like janssen and invega recently, etc.

I definitely agree with this. My doctor and I have become very good friends and he informed me of what his shire rep told him regarding replacing adderall and their intention to keep market share!

I've been taking Vyvanse now for almost two years (70 mgs/day) and have found it to work marvels on my ADD. Its also provides great anti-depressant and minor anxiolytic effects and possibly compliments the other various medications I take like Cymbalta and Geodon for depression and anxiety. This may also be due to ADD's/ADHD's positive correlation, in certain cases, with depression and anxiety.

Vyvanse is NOT a good antidepressant, and any doctor prescribing it as such is kinda nutty. Reminds me of that 50's mindset , where AMP and benzos were handed out like candy.

AMP and it's many forms do have MAOI effects though! But the comedown effects are going to destroy you if you have any depression at all.

Eagleman- Suboxone is the best antidepressant IMO for people who have recently quit opiates and are depressed... Even for non - junkies it has antidepressant effects.

-lenses

well i have bipolar II, schizotypal, borderline pd, anxiety, ADD, and dyslexia..and i'm much more stable now than i've ever been.

The key is to take days off during the week. If i'm taking it every day, i'll be strung out as fuck..but who wouldn't be?

peace

-lenses

I'm on Suboxone. It was the boredom and missing the needle lifestyle that got me depressed. And no it's not a good antidepressant, medically speaking, but it can give you a good push once in awhile as long as you don't abuse it.

so after being on vyvanse at 50 mg from feb to may and from july to a couple of days ago, it started to lose its magic late in august. along with issues with insurance/money, i went to dexedrine spansules.

started at 10 mg today. which is about half of what my dose of equipotent vyvanse is supposed to be. i had a hell of a time finding a major pharmacy chain that had any in stock as well, but the price savings will hopefully be worth it. it doesnt feel much different to me, maybe coming up a whole lot quicker, but thats about it. i'll update with my personal opinion after a while.

sure, there is a whole lot more abusablity aspect to dexies, but i'd rather not with how much it helps me at a therapeutic level. i've been more keen to depressants/opiates than amphetamines abuse wise, but being treated for adhd has helped me keep that compulsion under control. just have a few drinks every now and then.

another thing to note, i have a herniated disc in my lumbar (l5-s1), so i have been prescribed norco on and off (7.5/325) for when it gets bad since about late jun, but rarely have i mixed the two. i found pain to be not be as severe on vyvanse, than off of it. my mind spends less time wandering and thinking about the pain, so its more of a mental thing.

Took two of the 70mg orange & blue capsules at 11:30 AM after getting them for free from some kid who apparently is the only person who has a script for them in my area, ingested orally,

I have never tried Vyvanse but I was on Ritalin, Adderall, Adderall XR, and Concerta as a kid, I switched from all of them multiple times, and I haven't been on meds for about 3-4 years since I just decided I didn't want to be on pills anymore,

However, around 12:30-45ish It hit me I began to feel really weird like I haven't felt this way in a long time but as if I knew I've felt it before, and I realized how much I could concentrate and focus and just put my mind to anything and actually learn something and enjoy things and want to do what needs to be done, for the longest time I have been a slacker and an under-achiever, I never really wanted to do a lot, but after the pills hit me I wanted to do any and everything and it was different than the MDMA productivity feeling it was like .. intelligently productive, everything made sense to me and I could think straight. it was perfect.

however, that was yesterday at 12:35-40 PM when they first took effect, it is now 3:27 AM and I'm STILL high.

I keep thinking I'm seeing things out of the corner of my eye, and that pills are in front of my computer monitor and that having the light off is a bad idea, I keep thinking my vision is blurred when in the back of my head I know it's not, it feels like I can't see in the dark but I know it's just really dark and I feel like I'm getting irritated really quickly, I noticed today that instead of craving attention like usual I didn't want it at all, in fact when people stared at me when I left to hangout with some friends, I wanted to confront them about it but fortunately I controlled myself, I forced myself to drink water and eat dinner my relatives bought for me and a younger sibling, it was horrible, it tasted like who knows what, and I wanted to throw up, same with the water, I wanted to throw up so badly,

basically what I'm saying is I really disliked what started happening 3-4 hours after the pill took effect, and I don't know when it's going to stop and I was just wondering because I am not in the least bit tired and I ALWAYS feel exhausted, I can never pull legit all nighters etc, I always pass out, but my eyes are wide open and I feel alert and for some reason it feels like somebody keeps touching my back and shit, it's not really that awesome, I don't really have a body high anymore I just feel the other effects,

which suck.

So I DEFINITELY recommend doing research on the pill/capsule/etc you get and making sure you know the correct mg's of the pill, because I had no idea at first and just took two of them and now look, I look like I haven't slept in days, and I know I probably wont sleep for days.

If that was too long for, here's a shortened version,

"Don't abuse Vyvanse in large amounts if you don't have a tolerance, but that's obvious, just saying, don't try to be a badass. it will mess you up really bad."

good day BL, i will probably be browsing the forums for the next 24 hours ..

Ive tried vyvanse a couple times for recreational use. Along with the focused feeling, i experience some mdma like effects. I took two 70mgs (orange and blue capsules) the most recent time and was up nearly three days. At the "peak" I feel euphoric, but regret it after being up for two days lol. Dont take vyvanse is you will need sleep.

Ive tried vyvanse a couple times for recreational use. Along with the focused feeling, i experience some mdma like effects. I took two 70mgs (orange and blue capsules) the most recent time

8)MDMA effects? You must've been taking some shitty E probably cut w/ a whole bunch of some amphetamine.

and was up nearly three days. At the "peak" I feel euphoric, but regret it after being up for two days lol. Dont take vyvanse is you will need sleep.

Vyvanse is not a great drug for recreational use in the first place. If anything, don't take 140 mgs at a time with practically no tolerance, expecting not to be tweaking for hours on end.