Phish vs The Grateful dead

So what is it BRAH?

• Total voters
grat fro tehre own differences. GD started it, phish kinda trailed and finished it. I will say phish may be more musicaly talented.

Phish is about ten times better than Grateful Dead musically. Jerry Garcia only knew 3 types of scales on the guitar, while Trey was jazz inspired. Listen to You Enjoy Myself....blows anything by the dead away.

Delsyd said:
listen to scarlet>fire 9/2/78
after you're done with that peep 2/5/78 and 4/13/83

ok ... back to studying ...

Well I voted Phish. They had a huge impact on my life and Trey inspired me to learn to play guitar many years ago. Plus I will be reppin' Phish tour 2010.

I do absolutely love The Grateful Dead however. I wish I could be catching more Bobby tour right now.

bluedolphin said:
Well I voted Phish.

GTFO my Internets. :p

Plus I will be reppin' Phish tour 2010.

See you there, though. ;)

I do absolutely love The Grateful Dead however. I wish I could be catching more Bobby tour right now.

Ok, you can hang around my internets =D

theotherside26 said:
Phish is about ten times better than Grateful Dead musically. Jerry Garcia only knew 3 types of scales on the guitar, while Trey was jazz inspired. Listen to You Enjoy Myself....blows anything by the dead away.

complexity isen't everything my friend :)

plus, jerry grew up playing in some damn good bluegrass bands,
with some pretty fine pickers by his side

and the dead started out as a jug band.. those two things right there
win over phish anyday in my book

i've always wanted to start a jug band one of these days, seems like it'd be fun

option 3: mother mccree's uptown jug champions =D

Last edited:
^oh yes, ftw!

i really hope you've got that remastered live show they did in Palo Alto,
they released it onto a CD a few years back, i finally was able to track it down
on the internet a month or so ago, listening to it puts a HUGE smile on my face..
such a fun sound, washboards & kazoo's make me weak at the knees! ahah

This is such a stupid comparison. I love both bands, but in the end I prefer Phish. Maybe it is because I was a part of Phish, maybe I just like their musical style more.

That and Bob Weir is possibly the most annoying person in the history of the world.

thunderinacircle said:
I was a part of Phish

wat? trey? is this site gonna be good for your recovery?

thunderinacircle said:

2v0c32p.jpg

weir is awesome! And that hell in a bucket video pic is, well, it was the 80's and that music video is questionable, but weir can put on one hell of a show. A strong Estimated>Eyes is kicks ass!

BUt both bads are awesome.. Supposedly Phish will be returning from hiatus soon if you look at what all the band members are saying.

I love Bobby. I also love to rag on Bobby :D If you wanna talk about the Grateful Dead, I love lots and lots and lots of Bobby songs. Ratdog I dunno, I've seen too many Ratdog off nights but I absolutely adore a Phil show though.

Last edited:
Bob Weir is a headier man than any of us will ever be. Fact.

Phil shows are sometimes a little light and fluffy for me...
Bobby singning Looks Like Rain = soul power

Some Phil shows can be light and fluffy and a bit much of a dance party I agree, I sort of felt like this was almost the case sometimes @ this years vibes although I thought it was a great show and a really fun one. But he can also go deep and jam the fuck out real psychedelic like too ... Jones Beach this year brought ought Mountains on the Moon, Born Cross-Eyed, The Eleven, and so on, Boston was pure magic, old school dead songs (an amazing Lovelight to close the first set!), etc, etc. I last saw Bobby @ mountain jam which was not a great show by anyone's estimation I don't think. But Bobby shows can be a snoozefest. But I have also seen Bobby play great shows and I hear he is totally on fire this tour. Jealous of all that get to see him! I got mad love for Bobby as well, of course. And I love Looks Like Rain! Version on the Europe '72 reissue is incredible ... also something from June '74 I think.

Now for a harder question or maybe flame bait ... Donna? (If you wanna troll a grateful dead forum that one word is often sufficient)

looks like rain?

"did you ever waken to the sound / of two streetcats making love"

yeech, what a terrible lyric.

(i like the song though)

^ "you were GOOOOONE!!!!" , not one my favorite bob tunes hah.

Even if ratdog puts you to sleep, you still gotta love bobby! He's our lost sailor...

now Donna, on the other hand.... damn those guys must have been really fuckin high in 1972 when they decided to let her scream during their Playin' jams, and continue doing it for 2 years! chillout girl, ur not aretha franklin! She did chill out with the screaming after '76, and in her defense, there is ONE donna holler i actually dont mind hearing, and thats on greatest story ever told, 6/22/74.

I agree Donna is on point in a show like 5/9/77 (one of the only versions of Sunrise I can deal with; no, michael, not 5/8, lol) ... but the early 70s yea, "banshee wails", etc. Sometimes she works, sometimes she's just distracting when the band is tryin' hard to jam out. But in 76-78, integrates much better.