Phish vs The Grateful dead

So what is it BRAH?

• Total voters
the more she stayed in the background, the more i like her. once the volume goes up is when she starts to annoy the shit out of me.

bluedolphin said:
Bobby singning Looks Like Rain = soul power

Bobby wouldn't have soul power if his life depended on it. Just listen Estimated Prophet from later on where he tries to be soulful with his singing and just ends up sounding like garbage.

I honestly don't know what he is trying to do, but it is awful. He should stick with the daisy dukes and the patented jump back.

you got a 44 year run of music vs what 20? i mean come on the GD all the way plus you gotta think about pigpen that man was the best singer i believe of the generation!

So the earlier the band began touring is automatically the better band? That doesn't sound right...

Pigpen was an asshole, sorry.

How about an 09 "dead" Vs 09 Phish, hahaha. Not saying I don't love the grateful dead, I just enjoy listening to phish more than the grateful dead

GD hands down.

I love phish too, and they are better musicians than the dead are; but I prefer Robert Hunter's/Jerry Garcia's lyrics more since they speak to the human heart and soul.

I don't mind Phish's lyrics since I love Zappa and Capt Beefheart but their newer music sucks and so did their playing post hiatus and the last two years when they were last on tour.

I could give a fuck about "the scene" from either/any band, and I don't care about it.

So the earlier the band began touring is automatically the better band? That doesn't sound right...

How about an 09 "dead" Vs 09 Phish, hahaha. Not saying I don't love the grateful dead, I just enjoy listening to phish more than the grateful dead

hey ill give you that, i hate phish lol always have always will, and so what i am an ass hole too! thats why i <3 him so much and ps he was more a drunk then as ass hole

Last edited:

You can insult me, you can insult my mother, but don't ever insult teh pig man! :! :D

The Dead's lyrics were definitely better. Hands down. But Phish's songwriting capabilities are better, in my opinion. The Dead's songs were pretty much standard blues, pop, and rock songs that they would just then jam out at the end. Phish's songs are more compositions, in the classical sense, than they are pop, rock, or blues songs. Take Harry Hood for example; that's an 18 minute song that only has maybe 5 minutes of jam. Or Guyute: a 20 minute song that is basically played the same every time. Even the shorter songs are much less conventional than the Dead's, with peaks and valleys, starts and stops, etc (think Runaway Jim).

I enjoy listening to Phish more. Do I think they are better musicians? I don't know. Are they more influential? Probably not. Would they exist without the Dead? Almost certainly not. Would I have driven cross-country in the 70's to watch the Dead play? You're goddamn right I would've :)

have you ever taken a look at the guy that plays guitar for phish?

:)

Giving Donald Trump a run for his money in the "World's Biggest Egomaniac" contest doesn't necessarily make you an asshole, it just makes you a really big egomaniac. ;):D

Grateful Dead. I don't give a shit what anyone says. It will always be the Dead.

82297.gif

No one can play like Jerry.

(Trey, while an excellent guitarist and technical musician, bears no comparison to Jerry because he is a douchebag and an egotistical person; plus Jerry's playing just has that special soulful melody that makes it truly special.)

The answer will always be The Grateful Dead. :)

i really should mention though that i used to have a crapload of fun at phish shows, and i really did see a pretty good number of them from 92-94 or so. i think it was really a right place and time thing. i'm not sure i'd have liked them as much if i had started listening to them in the late 90s.

I'm gunna have to go with my favorite band of all time, The Dead. I love phish's jams, and i really cant wait for this summer's tour... but The Dead will always be #1 in my book

all right then forgive my ignorance but i havent heard any songs from either of these bands. could anyone recomend some song worth getting