Phish vs The Grateful dead

So what is it BRAH?

• Total voters
If how they played post-hiatus was any indication it could very well be the lamest thing ever. That isn't to say I wouldn't be at at least one of the shows. And I barely listen to Phish these days. :|

i would likely say the same thing, except that i'm not sure i would be able to justify paying whatever obscene amount i'm sure they'll want for tickets.

phish is gonna be great when they come back (after practice). trey has totally changed his attitude on life and music. let me dig this article up I found today. The man is focused again!!

Trey Anastasio Hints at Phish Reunion

5/28/08, 8:03 am EST

Nearly four years after their break-up, the four members of Phish may have some unfinished business together. In an interview with Rolling Stone last week, Trey Anastasio didn’t exactly say the band has talked about a reunion, but he did drop some heavy hints. “When Phish broke up, I made some comment about how I’m not gonna go around playing ‘You Enjoy Myself’ for the rest of my life,” Anastasio said with a laugh. “And it’s so funny because Fish and Mike and Page have been talking to each other a lot lately and now — it’s not that I can’t believe that I said that, but its symbolic of how much I lost my mind or how much I lost my bearings or something. Because at this point in time I would give my left nut to play that song five times in a row every day until I die. I certainly thought about that while I was in jail.”

Anastasio spoke to RS on May 21st, the same day he received some good news: He was sentenced to probation on charges of possessing painkillers without a prescription, which had been reduced to a misdemeanor after he completed a drug treatment program. Earlier in May, Anastasio and the other members of Phish stood onstage together in New York to accept a lifetime achievement award at the Jammies.

michael said:
heard it all before

"...Because at this point in time I would give my left nut to play that song five times in a row every day until I die. I certainly thought about that while I was in jail.”

You haven't heard that before Michael!! Those are very strong words and the mark of someone who realizes his past wrongs. Realizing and coming to grips with that is huge... It's a huge step in recovery, a step jerry never made it to.

With all this said, I dont know if I made it clear before, but Grateful Dead over Phish no doubt:)

Now that I think about it, this thread truly sucks. Seriously though, which one do you guys like better-

music or orgasms, you can only have one, which is it?

plus ca change, plus ca meme chose.

if you want to go, don't let me stop you from having the time of your life.

aw quit whining about the thread, let the people discuss.

I haven't had the privelage to see either in concert. That being said, I like the Dead more. They have better songs and more of them. Although certain shit Phish did, like playing California Love live, that stuff was insane. I feel like for a lot of Phish's stuff you HAVE to be fucked up to enjoy it, but I can listen to GD sober any day.

Phish ain't got nuthin' on the boys... GD experimented a hell of a lot more. You can put on some Dead from the old days then listen to like the 80's and it's like a totally different band. They changed a lot consistently over the years. For me, the Dead make me feel a certain way, a "high".. when I listen to them. Their shows are like hidden treasures.

I never saw Phish, but I've seen Trey & Mike and it was ok. I'm seeing Trey here in Nashville in September. Honestly, I feel bad for him, though, because his own "phans" hate on him like I've never seen before. It's truly pathetic.

No contest.

Grateful Dead.

Phish could be better if they didn't bother with lyrics ;)

manic_panic said:
Phish ain't got nuthin' on the boys... GD experimented a hell of a lot more.

Have you ever actually listened to Phish? Doesn't sound like it.

Finder said:
Have you ever actually listened to Phish? Doesn't sound like it.

Yeah, I wouldn't have said that if I'd never listened to them. That's like me asking you if you've ever listened to Dead shows. 8)

Even though I rarely listen to Phish nowadays, I still like a lot of their stuff, even if their most recent music is pretty lame IMO. Their jams can be very pleasant as well as dreadfully boring. Good band, they just don't strike the same chord with me as the Dead have and always will.

Anyhoo... I stand my ground.

The dead for me, but it was a hard decision...phish can get so damn jazzy and trey's guitar playing is incredible (but so is jerry's)

amazing musicians in both bands.

spaceyourbass said:
I feel like for a lot of Phish's stuff you HAVE to be fucked up to enjoy it, but I can listen to GD sober any day.

Interesting. Most of the time I listen to Phish I'm completely sober. It's still extremely enjoyable for me.

What the Grateful Dead did with their music bordered on wizardry. I can't tell you how many nights I've spent on a ten strip sailing the void in the darkness with Jerry's guitar propelling me to the outer regions of the universe.

Phish is just....almost...but no cigar.

There is nothing like a Grateful Dead concert.

Including a Phish concert.

Phish had their moments and has their charms and certainly were very technically skilled and fun to listen to. And if they get back together I might go on Phish tour for shits and giggles. But there is nothing like the Dead. Nothing.